Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there a lore reason for why Tech gets worst as the timeline moves into the future?

13»

Comments

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

I disagree with the premise that Star Wars' technology declines over time. It certainly progresses at a painfully, comically slow pace, and individual planets do go through rollercoasters of prosperity, but I haven't seen a net decline in technology in Star Wars since the Infinite Empire

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Is there a lore reason for why Tech gets worst as the timeline moves into the future?

It is not entirely silly, it have actually happened in history before.

Egypt is a good example, the pyramids and most of the other impressive stuff is actually really early and the civilization slowly falls from a superpower to a Roman province.

And look what happened to Europe after Romes fall. You might not know it but a Greek guy actually built a working steam engine 2000 years ago. 2300 years ago did another Greek count the earths diameter (he had it wrong by 500 meters)...

It have happened before and it might happen again.

We're talking about an interstellar civilization, here. Trillions of people across an entire galaxy, at least hundreds of inhabited planets with their own R&D. Even under the most totalitarian governments this galaxy has seen, science and technology haven't been nearly so centralized as they were in Earth's ancient history. Managing to make it so would be a logistical nightmare of literally astronomical proportions.

Originally posted by 4getting2009

Originally posted by Kothoses

ITs happening right now 40ish years ago Humans placed a man on the moon and now we have just pretty much decomissioned the space project as we know it, its a giant leap backwards for humanitys advancement.  And its largely because a lot of people had mortgages they shouldnt have.

The Darkages of earth are another example of how evolution and scientific growth are not entwined and often one or the other is stunted by humanities own efforts.

eh...We just put Robots on Mars a few years ago that are still taking samples today.... Manned space travel was cancelled.

Yes, and more to the point, we need unmanned missions (which are superior anyway, for scientific purposes) to do a lot more for us before further manned missions make sense. Manned missions to the moon or other planets are just stupid ego-boosters until we intend to colonize, which isn't yet viable.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • antonatsisantonatsis Member Posts: 109

the skywalkers are powerfull because,anakin skywalker doesnt have a father

there are 2 theories.

1st)the theory tha Qui-Gon Jinn made.that he is born out of true force(i know a jesus reference)

2nd)is a theory that he was the result of an experiment from some awesome sith dude who's name is Darth Plagueis,he was the master of palpatine(the emperor from star wars)

follows a quote from wookie pedia

Skywalker's mother, Shmi Skywalker, claimed that her son was conceived without a father, but could not explain how that had happened. It was the theory of Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn that the will of the Force caused his birth. There is evidence to suggest that Skywalker's birth may have been engineered by the Sith Lord Darth Plagueis as part of an experiment in immortality.[8][9]

• antonatsisantonatsis Member Posts: 109

as for the technology is less powerfull than it used to be....

any reader of sci-fi or fantasy knows that,its a popular theme to have...an old civilazation with such advanced technology that it could dwarf our own...heck there are conspiracies theorist that believe that things...also a good example is atlantis,where most people believe that the atlanteans had technology 

also if you read about wht the ancient people had in europe....then you would understand why this happened...many things that humans knew give or take at 1000-500 BC were lost and our society found again after the dark ages...

finally keep in mind that,wars in a universe like star wars,are so dreadfull that entire planets are destroyed or left barren...bit by bit the endless jedi-sith war was tearing apart society in every aspect

(you would be amazed to find out,how many advanced civilazations have extinct and we dont know nothing about them,besides some oral records or things that other people had for them in writings and stufll like that!)

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Originally posted by whosaidwhat

onsidering that Lucas stole his origibal trilogy from lord of the rings, i.e. the reason why the studios turned him down the first time.  It was to close lotr.  And most of the tech from the original was created by others.  hence tech getting better as time goes backwards.  If you were luckly to see the original interviews with lucas you would be shocked how star wars was originally written. 

Sad though. One of the greatest IPs in history was really stolen from someone else.

He was more influenced by Dune than LOTRO. It's just that far less people know about Dune.

I think Dune owns LOTRO but I'm biased towards sci-fi.

• EvilChemistEvilChemist Member Posts: 105

I think a bunnch of people answered why luke was so strong in the force, and in the SW EU he also goes around and trains in a bunch of different force disciplines on top of training with sidious i think. So ontop of having a force boost from Anakin dna he is probably one of the most aside from yoda THE most well trained jedi in the history of jedi lol.

As for the tech, the deathstar was a crazy ridiculous machine and the empire built 2 of those badboys. So it is possible even without searching the books, to assume that the empire at the very least some advanced tech that previous establishments didn't have. BUT OMG the deathstar! If the second one was fully completed and didnt need ground shielding it would have taken another luke level jedi to fly down into that bitch and blow it up from the inside again.

"LOL"

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

Originally posted by Kothoses

Or could it just be the fact that when the original trilogy was produced media could not convey the technology at the same level and we just have to suspend our disbelief a little rather than wanting every little inconsistancy explained in depth for us?

/thread

It was answered in the first reply lol, yet it has continued on :P That is the main reason as I see it anyways, it was originally a movie in the 70's so of course the tech would appear to be less advanced than it is shown now and during time periods before that of the first few movies.

The same affect happened when they created the newest prequel movies too.

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

What doesn't make sense to me is why technology hardly progresses over the 3,000 year period between SWTOR and the movie trilogies. Is there a good lore reason for that?

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

another question. what makes the Skywalkers so powerful compared to other Jedi knights? I mean, why they so special?

This one is easy. Darth Plagues (Palpatines Master) manipulated the midiclorians in a slave girl (Shimi Skywalker) to have her become pregnant with a child with a high Midiclorian count to replace Palpatine. Palpatine got wind of this and killed Darht Plagues in his sleep.

Galen (the force Unleashe games) Marek was also a rare exception of a very high midclorian count which was why he was able to use the force the way he did.

**engages Darth Krayt in plunger to lightsaber combat....Darth Krayt bows before his new master.....**

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by Jimmac

What doesn't make sense to me is why technology hardly progresses over the 3,000 year period between SWTOR and the movie trilogies. Is there a good lore reason for that?

What exactly would be progression to you?  Faster than light speed travel?  They already have it and how would you "see" that in the game anyways?  Differently shaped ships?  They have that too.  Stronger weaponry?  Gets offset by stronger armor.  I have a hard time understanding your (or the OPs) problem here.  Take a look at just the last 100 years in Real Life.  How big of a change has there been in the clothing a farmer wears?  Slightly different style, but not by much AND you can't even tell if the fabric is any different in most cases just by looking at pictures of it.

The fact is there could be differences in technilogical abilities meassured in MAGNITUDES and we would not really be able to see it in the game.  I think instead you might be upset though that the game LOOKS like Star Wars and for some reason that bothers you.  Would you prefer it looked like Star Trek?  Or maybe Battlestar Galactica?  For me, I like that it looks enough like Star Wars to make me feel like part of that universe and enough different that I don't feel like I am in a cheap knockoff of it.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• NifaNifa Member Posts: 324

Originally posted by aesperus

another question. what makes the Skywalkers so powerful compared to other Jedi knights? I mean, why they so special?

Im surprised noone knows the answer to this. While it wasn't my favorite of the movies, this was explained in The Phantom Menace. The explaination is kind of weak, but it's basically this:

They have an insanely high metachlorian count. However, the 'first' three movies were pretty awful; so I'm not sure if this was ever woven into the full star wars universe, or if it stayed as something lucas just slapped into a film last minute in an attempt to explain the very question you asked.

Oh for the love of...

/begin Star Wars canon nerdiness

Yes, the Skywalkers have an insanely high midichlorian count, making them stronger/more powerful in the Force than the vast majority of Jedi. But the lore reason for this is that Anakin Skywalker's mother claimed that Anakin had no father - she could not explain how she conceived him (As stated in the quoted post, explained in the Phantom Menace). There were some jedi, Qui-Gon Jinn included, who believed that he was the fulfillment of a prophecy and the "chosen one," meant to "bring balance to the Force" and that he was, in fact, conceived by the Force itself. (He did bring balance to the Force, just not in the way they thought he would. He became Darth Vader. Two Sith - him and old Palps, two Jedi - Yoda and Obi Wan, remained until Luke was trained. Perfect balance.)

Others believed his birth was an experiment in immortality by Palpatine's Sith Master, Plagueis.

Either way - Force conception or genetic mutation, the genetic line has a midichlorian count so high it cannot be registered.

Getting into the EU, there may be two Skywalker descendants who may turn out to be more powerful in the end than Luke: his son (whose mother was a pretty powerful Jedi in her own right) and Leia's granddaughter, who as a small child was doing stuff instinctively that some Jedi knights had to work hard at.

/end Star Wars canon nerdiness

Firebrand Art

"You are obviously confusing a mature rating with actual maturity." -Asherman

Maybe MMO is not your genre, go play Modern Warfare...or something you can be all twitchy...and rank up all night. This is seriously getting tired. -Ranyr

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

The reason should be obvious and if you think about it you will know why.

• hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529

Originally posted by DarkPony

Yes.

Your older Sign's image was funnier, imo.

• AdamaiAdamai Member UncommonPosts: 476

Originally posted by OSF8759

You've not provided any support for your assertion.

Does he really have to, you dont have to be smart to understand what he's saying..

starwars came out in the 1970's with episode 4 right!    ok then they did 5 and 6 all with very similar technology in the film so great it all ties in nicely.. then they release phantom menace in the 90's and for some odd ball reason the tech is much much more advanced  and only about 50 years before episode 4,5,6.  now swtor on the other hand is what 3000 years before the happening of phantom menace or how ever long it was and yet the tech is the same..  shouldnt they be walking round unshaven grunting at one another trying to club seals to death!!

look how far humans have come in a few thousand years :) we have gone from eating each other and dodging dinosaurs to wanting to meet new people make friends and having holidays abroad useing aircraft to get there.

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by Adamai

Does he really have to, you dont have to be smart to understand what he's saying..

starwars came out in the 1970's with episode 4 right!    ok then they did 5 and 6 all with very similar technology in the film so great it all ties in nicely.. then they release phantom menace in the 90's and for some odd ball reason the tech is much much more advanced  and only about 50 years before episode 4,5,6.  now swtor on the other hand is what 3000 years before the happening of phantom menace or how ever long it was and yet the tech is the same..  shouldnt they be walking round unshaven grunting at one another trying to club seals to death!!

look how far humans have come in a few thousand years :) we have gone from eating each other and dodging dinosaurs to wanting to meet new people make friends and having holidays abroad useing aircraft to get there. 

It might have something to do with a galaxy wide civil war destroying a lot of things that need to then be fixed/replaced over the 20 year interval between the two sets of movies.  It could also have something to do with commiting genocide against anyone with Force Sensitivity that pushed them back.  OR it could be that between the two sets of movies there is a VAST improvement in cinematic technology and rather than making the new trilogu look like it was already a few decades old, Lucas decided to go a different route and let US deal with this kind of question while he just made movies.

As for why SWTOR looks similar to the original trilogy tech wise.  It's been answered already.  Go back and read the thread.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Saerain

It is not entirely silly, it have actually happened in history before.

Egypt is a good example, the pyramids and most of the other impressive stuff is actually really early and the civilization slowly falls from a superpower to a Roman province.

And look what happened to Europe after Romes fall. You might not know it but a Greek guy actually built a working steam engine 2000 years ago. 2300 years ago did another Greek count the earths diameter (he had it wrong by 500 meters)...

It have happened before and it might happen again.

We're talking about an interstellar civilization, here. Trillions of people across an entire galaxy, at least hundreds of inhabited planets with their own R&D. Even under the most totalitarian governments this galaxy has seen, science and technology haven't been nearly so centralized as they were in Earth's ancient history. Managing to make it so would be a logistical nightmare of literally astronomical proportions..

It is still possible. Around 1500 were 2 large empires the most scientific advanced and largest cultures on earth: China and the Ottoman empire. And yet Europe passed them by in a few years...

The Ottomans slowly got the idea that technology and science were against god. Religion put them back a thousand years, that could happen in Star wars as well, particularly the Siths could do something like that.

China on the other hand turned inside and cut off their contacts with the rest of the world. The forbid a lot of technology, like ships with 3 masts and more... Politics can bring an empire on it's knees.

Civil war. politics and religion could together slowly have brought the galaxy far far away back to the stone ages.

• TeiloTeilo Member Posts: 284

Which particular tech was more advanced in the prequels? The ships? The weapons? Remember that the original trilogy was mainly focussed on a backwater planet and a rebel army - neither of which is going to showcase cutting edge technology: in fact they were probably using stuff that predated the time period of the first 3 movies, whereas episodes 1 - 3 focused mainly on rich high-tech worlds & government funded armies.

The bits you could probably compare are the Trade Federation's tech and the later Empire's tech; I'll take the Star Destroyers and Death Star over the Trade federations battle stations any day.

• BritasBritas Member Posts: 46

Lets be honest, the lore reasons for this 'stagnation' for over three thousand years are flimsey at best, only fans defending the IP no matter will argue for it it. It's ridiculous to everyone else, and rightly so.

The only reason really that the tech has stayed so similiar is a need for two things- the need for a period of history that is far enough away from the widely recognised period SW the masses know to give BW room to tell their own stories and the need, despite this, to keep it looking like the SW the masses already know.

• BritasBritas Member Posts: 46

Originally posted by Teilo

Which particular tech was more advanced in the prequels? The ships?

Well, R2D2 for one.

The reasons they gave for it having less functionality later on in a A New Hope onwards where laughable.

• shaunathanshaunathan Member Posts: 73

Originally posted by HiGHPLAiNS

Originally posted by mrshroom89

Well here i am watching the movies as we speak (type?) and i just watched a giant floating man made planet thing blow up an entire planet with one blast... yeaaaa missed that part in the new  series, there wasnt anything close to that firepower, stagnant? i think not.

Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to

the power of the Force. 

Even then the force is crap in the world of Star Wars superweapons.  

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Superweapon