Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

K-Tera merging servers yet again.

KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,556

http://www.inven.co.kr/board/powerbbs.php?come_idx=2152&l=4970

BHS has announced today that their will be another round of server merges, due to low populations. Jyanelra, Rihanna,Arlene, Durban and yet another not named server will be affected. These merges will happen on Sept.8th and are subject to change. 

It seems they will be merging 5 servers into 2. They added a PVE server just a week ago, so it looks like the servers will go from 16 to 13 servers. 

This game continues to bleed subs in Korea, will there be a future for Tera in the West ???

Comments

• fonyfony Member Posts: 755

the lead of the studio already bailed out. his "massive stress" from NCSoft won't be solved by him leaving, but it will accomplish separating himself from the trainwreck the game has become.

• timmy12timmy12 Member UncommonPosts: 390

Originally posted by Kumapon

http://www.inven.co.kr/board/powerbbs.php?come_idx=2152&l=4970

BHS has announced today that their will be another round of server merges, due to low populations. Jyanelra, Rihanna,Arlene, Durban and yet another not named server will be affected. These merges will happen on Sept.8th and are subject to change. 

It seems they will be merging 5 servers into 2. They added a PVE server just a week ago, so it looks like the servers will go from 16 to 13 servers. 

This game continues to bleed subs in Korea, will there be a future for Tera in the West ???

True story im gonna tell.....ususally every game that successes in Korea usually fail in the West.....which meanns maybe there will be hope for Tera in the West sense it's failing in Korea lol

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Would be nice to have some idea of the sorts of things Korean Tera players have been complaining about.  What sorts of reasons do they give for leaving?  Not even sure where to look, myself..

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by Vhaln

Would be nice to have some idea of the sorts of things Korean Tera players have been complaining about.  What sorts of reasons do they give for leaving?  Not even sure where to look, myself..

The biggest problem with K-Tera atm is this stupid PK decleration system.

For those that don't know in K-Tera in order to fight anyone you need to decleare to pk someone, and with the recent patch it now takes 10 seconds do to that. On top of that you need to use coins as well. It costs 50 coins to pk someone of your lvl . One coin is 15k gold each.  It costs extra coins if your gonna pk someone lower lvl than you. 

While the system seems good in theory as it prevents ganking, but with 10 seconds anyone can run away from a fight.  World PVP is now ruined, and a complete joke now, and you know Koreans they love their World PVP.  There are Battlegrounds, but  there are only 2 in the game and you can only do them at 50+.  Who wants to PVP in only 2 BG's forever...lol

As for PVE the only thing there is, camp BAMS (super named mobs) all day long or do the 2 "5 man" dungeons. That is about it, and the RNG in the game makes Aion look good, so you will be farming BAMS and doing those 2 "5 man" dungeons forever.

Now there is supose to be a Miracle patch comming around the holidays to increase the ammount of content and the whole server/server PVP. But if this stupid decleration rule is in place all this will be for naught, and the game may be shut down in Korea. 

As for the western release EME has stated they will westerninze the game, and has promised to look into the decleration rule and may change it for the west, during their Alpha testing in 2011.

All I can say is they better fix this decleration system and truley westernize the game or Tera will be a huge flop in the west, and if it flops in the west, the game will get shut down. 

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Top 5 reasons TERA has no chance:

5.  Most people don't know about it, and the hype is minimal.  Games like WoW, AoC, WAR, DWTOR, they get attention off their IPs.  Most players dont visit sites like this.  Rift managed to get some late hype and take off (sort of) so there is some hope.

4.  The perception that its an 'eastern' game.  Art style does it no favors

3.  Korean struggles.  The game is already a proven flop

2.  The competition.  Too much else coming out.

1.  The whole "Action' MMORPG thing.  Most players think the pace of games like WoW is pefect and don't want any additional twitchy elements.  For games that people play for hours at a time to much twitch is most certainly a bad thing.

• NaowutNaowut Member UncommonPosts: 663

Yea that pvp sh1t is the reason I lost interest in Tera.

+ with the Americanization its now completely off my rader.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Originally posted by Kumapon

Originally posted by Vhaln

The biggest problem with K-Tera atm is this stupid PK decleration system.

For those that don't know in K-Tera in order to fight anyone you need to decleare to pk someone, and with the recent patch it now takes 10 seconds do to that. On top of that you need to use coins as well. It costs 50 coins to pk someone of your lvl . One coin is 15k gold each.  It costs extra coins if your gonna pk someone lower lvl than you. 

While the system seems good in theory as it prevents ganking, but with 10 seconds anyone can run away from a fight.  World PVP is now ruined, and a complete joke now.  There are Battlegrounds, but  there are only 2 in the game and you can only do them at 50+.  Who wants to PVP in only 2 BG's forever...lol

As for PVE the only thing there is, camp BAMS (super named mobs) all day long or do the 2 "5 man" dungeons. That is about it, and the RNG in the game makes Aion look good, so you will be farming BAMS and doing those 2 "5 man" dungeons forever.

Now there is supose to be a Miracle patch comming around the holidays to increase the ammount of content and the whole server/server PVP. But if this stupid decleration rule is in place all this will be for naught, and the game may be shut down in Korea. 

As for the western release EME has stated they wil westerninze the game, and has promised to look into the decleration rule and may change it for the west, during their Alpha testing in 2011.

All I can say is they better fix this decleration system and truley western the game or Tera will be a huge flop in the west. 

Sorry but, that sounds like the most ridiculous excuse for a PvP system there ever was. It sounds like they wanted open-world PvP but didn't want to alienate people. That's what happens when games try to cast too wide a net. The whole point is to be able to PvP openly, but it doesn't sound very open when you need to both purchase coins (is there a reason in the Lore for this?) and are on a warning timer before you can do it.

I can't stand open PvP and even I think this is a bit stupid. They'd be far better served creating separate pvp/pve servers/channels, or just picking a specific mindset and sticking with it. Aion had the same problems, couldn't decide whether they wanted to be PvP or PvE, trying to please everyone, but in the end they just pissed everyone off.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Another game I was looking forward to driven to the ground by mismanagement and stubbornness.
    What do you think will happen with TERA in the West if it shuts down in South Korea?
  • gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Originally posted by nblitz

Another game I was looking forward to driven to the ground by mismanagement and stubbornness.

What do you think will happen with TERA in the West if it shuts down in South Korea?

I think you've got a long time to go before you have to worry about that. The game is losing some subs yes, but the reports about the future demise of the game are currently over-exaggerated. The game, after merging, is still sitting on over a dozen decently populated servers. That's more than many MMOs, which survive off of 1-5 servers. Games like DCUO and WAR made it pretty obvious that the game doesn't necessarily have to be popular to survive.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Originally posted by nblitz

Don't worry, over here Frogster will make shure that TERA will get run into the ground and shutdown as well.

• MMOtoGOMMOtoGO Member Posts: 630

Originally posted by fony

the lead of the studio already bailed out. his "massive stress" from NCSoft won't be solved by him leaving, but it will accomplish separating himself from the trainwreck the game has become.

TERA is not an NCSoft game so they can't be blamed this time.

Rumor has it that it was build from solen Lineage III source code.  NCSoft actually took them to court over it and won some chump change, if I recall.  

• fonyfony Member Posts: 755

i know. who makes the game... the reason he gave for leaving was extreme stress caused by unrelenting harassment by NCSoft.

and yes, they did steal the code from lineage 3 and run to another company with it. this game is also being headed up by the same swindler that said they would "westernize" AION before bailing.. and TERA turns out to be the same shit. asian grinder with NO content and a fucked up PVP system.

Originally posted by fony

i know. who makes the game... the reason he gave for leaving was extreme stress caused by unrelenting harassment by NCSoft.

and yes, they did steal the code from lineage 3 and run to another company with it. this game is also being headed up by the same swindler that said they would "westernize" AION before bailing.. and TERA turns out to be the same shit. asian grinder with NO content and a fucked up PVP system.

Well, if this is the case than all I can say is "karma is a ..... you know what."  They deserve all the stress they get.  I don't blame a company for protecting their property they paid to develop.

• RazephonRazephon Member UncommonPosts: 628

TBH, Tera is actually a very promising title once you factor in all the content that is SUPPOSED to be available at launch in the West.

I dont know how many times I've posted this but:

This is the level of content you need to expect at launch:

So far all we know is that Server vs Server will be in at Western launch. So I really hope this will change the game a LOT. Things like the PvP system will have to change as anyone serious about OW PvP will be involved primarily in the Server vs. Server combat which will be large scale. There shouldn't be any friggin declaration here.

Currently waiting for the MMO industry to put out something good.

Originally posted by Razephon

TBH, Tera is actually a very promising title once you factor in all the content that is SUPPOSED to be available at launch in the West.

So far all we know is that Server vs Server will be in at Western launch. So I really hope this will change the game a LOT. Things like the PvP system will have to change as anyone serious about OW PvP will be involved primarily in the Server vs. Server combat which will be large scale. There shouldn't be any friggin declaration here.

I don't think that some of this negativity will stop fans from picking up TERA.  I'm buying it because I love Eastern themed games.  I'm currently playing Aion and am anxious to see what TERA will do to improve upon Aion.  Who knows, perhaps the reason TERA is struggling in Korea and Aion is thriving is the same reason they may do the opposite in the West....only time will tell!

Originally posted by MMOtoGO

Originally posted by Razephon

I don't think that some of this negativity will stop fans from picking up TERA.  I'm buying it because I love Eastern themed games.  I'm currently playing Aion and am anxious to see what TERA will do to improve upon Aion.  Who knows, perhaps the reason TERA is struggling in Korea and Aion is thriving is the same reason they may do the opposite in the West....only time will tell!

Let me copy paste my recent post to you from another forum :) :

OP, in its current shape and form...Tera offers NOTHING and I mean NOTHING at all other than its unique art style and its approach to combat.

Wait till next year, Korea will at least have Server vs Server content and more PvE content by then and should hopefully turn a few heads. In its current version, Tera isn't much more than a bog standard MMO.

Level up

Do Dungeons

Do BGs

Participate in poorly thought out world PvP over BAMs in the hope of boosting ranks in a political system where you dont even feel that powerful.

++ your gear and repeat content with all its RNG

If Tera was to launch now? It would flop incredibly hard after the first month.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

I don't really care what Korea is doing. In any capacity what so ever.

Tera isn't going to be a game that I'll play for the rest of my life, but I think it might be fun for a little while.

So who the hell cares?

Get over it already.

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

I don't really care what Korea is doing. In any capacity what so ever.

Tera isn't going to be a game that I'll play for the rest of my life, but I think it might be fun for a little while.

So who the hell cares?

Get over it already.

Well your no fun are you!

Who the hell cares? who the hell cares to hype up GW2? who the hell cares to hype up SWTOR? who the hell cares to come on these forums and post on them?

Its blindingly obvious no game EVER will last you your whole life (WoW came closest to that though). How about you go on a WoW forum and say that? see what they tell you.

People are posting here because they want the game to succeed or find out whether it will. This is a forum, people debate these kind of things. Did you steal your account? Coz after 928 posts you'd think you have an idea what forums are about!

Please try to use your brain next time when posting.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Waiting for:
    Swords of the new world: Granado espada
    DOMO

Playing: Ge Sg beta test
    Rappelz
    trickster

Originally posted by hyaru

Am I the only one that thinks 13 servers for 1 country is pretty nice?

And that they merge servers, is actually good than just letting them be a wasteland (rift anyone? .. over half of there servers should be merged, heck, more than half)

If merging keeps the population on those servers good, and if there are still like 13 servers for one land.. heck, I'd think that's pretty darn good.

I'd rather have one healthy server than have 50 unhealthy ones.  

Waiting for:
    DOMO

Rappelz
    trickster

• phantiasmicphantiasmic Member Posts: 38

I think Tera still seems interesting. A lot depends on when everything is released, if Tera were to come out earlier than other games I am waiting on I might try it.

The big point I always laugh about is "grinding". That always makes me laugh. Every MMO I have ever played has some grinding, the only game that looks to NOT have grinding will be Secret World because there won't be levels every other game if you have to level then you have to grind through the levels!!!

EQ, WoW, Aion, Rift, Shadowbane all had grinding.

People use this "buzz word" so much it his hilarious. The only difference really is how a game feels while you are leveling up, can it vary some, how much does it vary but it is still grinding out level after level.

Rift I do think had a good system in place, well has since it is still going just not playing. In Rift you could level killing mobs, doing invasions, pvp, rift hunting or combinations of all. (my 1st 50 went 1-50 and only did 1 instance 1 time rest was pvp and rifts/invasions)

WoW has 85 levels, 85!! There is no way in hell 1-85 will not be "grinding" don't care how you wanna label it!!!

It is all how the grind from level 1-max is flavored  =)

- I have played Everquest, DAOC, Shadowbane, WoW, Aion, Rift, SW Galaxies, Planetside and Guild Wars (all expacs)

• GeowashGeowash Member Posts: 372

Game Breaker TV stated a really awesome theory that I thought was true as well about Tera and the developers. When the game was released over there it was already Westernized to the point the asian market wouldnt like it. Thats why I think its failing over there, because of the fact the asian market hates western market games, and if you put to much story, and not enough grind, it will fail. Thats my theory as well, I think they made the game to much for us westerners for the release in spring that the asian market doesnt like the game. 

Tera for 2012!

Waiting for:
    DOMO

Rappelz
    trickster

• SnarkRitterSnarkRitter Member Posts: 316

Originally posted by teakbois

1.  The whole "Action' MMORPG thing.  Most players think the pace of games like WoW is pefect and don't want any additional twitchy elements.  For games that people play for hours at a time to much twitch is most certainly a bad thing.

Way to twist your opinion as the opinion of "mosts players", mate.