Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there a lore reason for why Tech gets worst as the timeline moves into the future?

Is there a lore reason for why Tech gets worst as the timeline moves into the future?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921

Originally posted by MMOExposed

A long civil war followed by a period of stagnation due to no opposistion?

Or could it just be the fact that when the original trilogy was produced media could not convey the technology at the same level and we just have to suspend our disbelief a little rather than wanting every little inconsistancy explained in depth for us?

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• OSF8759OSF8759 Member Posts: 284

You've not provided any support for your assertion.

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673

Any examples of this could help,  I noticed that many of the advancements from the early trilogy exists in the KOTOR timeline but not exactly sure what is supposed to be better about the tech other than the fact that alot of the tech from outside the original trilogy looks more "futuristic" than some of what we got in the first three films.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

another question. what makes the Skywalkers so powerful compared to other Jedi knights? I mean, why they so special?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

The prequels were made two decades after the original trilogy?

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

Originally posted by Kothoses

A long civil war followed by a period of stagnation due to no opposistion?

Or could it just be the fact that when the original trilogy was produced media could not convey the technology at the same level and we just have to suspend our disbelief a little rather than wanting every little inconsistancy explained in depth for us?

this, but for me its because its the Old republic, emphasis on the old. the civil war ripped the Old Republic to shreds, if i remember my lore correctly, and actually threw everyone back, except for the core worlds. then as mentioned above the birth of what should be the New Republic is actually just a continuation of the Old. instead of the devastation causing new growth, it actually was somewhat of a fatal blow that the Republic never recovered from.

feel free to correct me if ive missed it here.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

Originally posted by thexrated

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Republic_Dark_Age

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

nice sig. very true.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• ThanesThanes Member Posts: 182

Duh, they have a huge mediaclorian

• afmartafmart Member Posts: 28

from what i remember from kotor, the tech was almost the same as the movies and almost the same designs for ships and droids (a little less sophisticated), so i dont get where you coming from.

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

another question. what makes the Skywalkers so powerful compared to other Jedi knights? I mean, why they so special?

Techanically the force is suppose to be a pool like resource, the more jedi/sith pulling from it the less powerful they are. The less there are the more one person can pull from it.

Like so

Say the force has a pool of 1,000 points (the more points you have the more powerful you are)

Now that number doesn't change but say there are 500 sith and 500 jedi

Each one would get 1 point of the force pool to each. Thus they wouldn't be that strong

Now lets say we reduce that number by...say a whole lot

Lets say there are 1 sith and 1 jedi

Now theres 500 for each of them which means they are more empowered by the force. Thus they are stronger. The more jedi/sith their are the less of the force to go around.

The reason luke beat the other two is because he trained more and has team members on his side. He almost lost to the emperor if you recall until darth vader pulled a double cross and throw the emperor over the railing.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

No.  It's a video game. 

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• ThanesThanes Member Posts: 182

Originally posted by whilan

Techanically the force is suppose to be a pool like resource, the more jedi/sith pulling from it the less powerful they are. The less there are the more one person can pull from it.

Like so

Say the force has a pool of 1,000 points (the more points you have the more powerful you are)

Each one would get 1 point of the force pool to each. Thus they wouldn't be that strong

Now theres 500 for each of them which means they are more empowered by the force. Thus they are stronger. The more jedi/sith their are the less of the force to go around.

The reason luke beat the other two is because he trained more and has team members on his side. He almost lost to the emperor if you recall until darth vader pulled a double cross and throw the emperor over the railing.

That's Highlander, 'There can only be one'

• xS0u1zxxS0u1zx Member Posts: 209

Originally posted by waynejr2

No.  It's a video game. 

Yea cause we all know Star Wars started out as one...    It's called lore, not gameplay.  It's unfortunate you couldn't understand simple words.

Originally posted by Thanes

Originally posted by whilan

Like so

That's Highlander, 'There can only be one'

Highlander might make an awesome pvp game

• whosaidwhatwhosaidwhat Member Posts: 35

onsidering that Lucas stole his origibal trilogy from lord of the rings, i.e. the reason why the studios turned him down the first time.  It was to close lotr.  And most of the tech from the original was created by others.  hence tech getting better as time goes backwards.  If you were luckly to see the original interviews with lucas you would be shocked how star wars was originally written. 

Sad though. One of the greatest IPs in history was really stolen from someone else.

Originally posted by whosaidwhat

onsidering that Lucas stole his origibal trilogy from lord of the rings, i.e. the reason why the studios turned him down the first time.  It was to close lotr.  And most of the tech from the original was created by others.  hence tech getting better as time goes backwards.  If you were luckly to see the original interviews with lucas you would be shocked how star wars was originally written. 

Sad though. One of the greatest IPs in history was really stolen from someone else.

Sounds like most of the greatest things in history ever discovered...     There's a few things in this world that were uniquely discovered by one person, most are ideas stolen from others or twisted and manipulated into their own grand scheme of things.   

One of the greatest ip's in history was inspired by another as the law tends to dictate if he had "stolen" too much from the lore he would have been sued. 

My biggest issue with proclamations like this is that I am an artist by trade and the bottom line is artists are inspired by something or someone else does that mean that the artist is stealing from the product/person that inspired them?  No because chances are that person was also inspired by something or someone else that led them to create as well.

• hermit000hermit000 Member Posts: 91

I dont recall it ever being said that the force was a finite rsource that was shared equally by all users of it. The skywalkers (and i hate to say this) have a higher metaclorine count and are able to control the force more so than someone who has a lower amount. 

There have been other very powerful force users at times when there were tens of thousands of sith and jedi roaming the galaxy

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

It's because of time travel. The original timeline starts back in 1977. image

Bottom line is that the game is based on fantasy. Fantasy doesn't have to make sense. The facts or lore are whatever the writters want it to be. Just enjoy the 60+ novels of story in the game or don't. No reason to bring reality into a fantasy sci-fi SW game.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

It is not entirely silly, it have actually happened in history before.

Egypt is a good example, the pyramids and most of the other impressive stuff is actually really early and the civilization slowly falls from a superpower to a Roman province.

And look what happened to Europe after Romes fall. You might not know it but a Greek guy actually built a working steam engine 2000 years ago. 2300 years ago did another Greek count the earths diameter (he had it wrong by 500 meters)...

It have happened before and it might happen again.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Does it really?

You can argue some tech was changed (for example, there was a point in SW history when it was decided that powerful computers governing ships weren't as reliable so multiple droids were chosen as an alternative) and that the newly founded Galactic Empire lead by Sidious perhaps fancied substance over style (although you have prosthetics which had clearly advanced in the mean time), especially given the recent events of Clone Wars that lead to its foundation, but did technology really become worse? It still accomplished the same functions, it just didn't look as clean and perhaps lacked the idealized "ye Old Republic" feeling thanks to the lack of warm colors, curves instead of angles and what not.

And yeah, basically because of limitations present at the time of filming the original trilogy. I don't know.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

Originally posted by Loke666

It is not entirely silly, it have actually happened in history before.

Egypt is a good example, the pyramids and most of the other impressive stuff is actually really early and the civilization slowly falls from a superpower to a Roman province.

And look what happened to Europe after Romes fall. You might not know it but a Greek guy actually built a working steam engine 2000 years ago. 2300 years ago did another Greek count the earths diameter (he had it wrong by 500 meters)...

It have happened before and it might happen again.

The difference between then and now is that technology in current days is globally shared.    Back in the ancient times only a very select few people had done wonders and knew the mysteries of science/math.    When they died all of their knowledge was lost.      In current times all knowledge is recorded in great detail, copied and released to billions to share.   Even if there was some sort of technological relapse threat, it would still seem quite impossible unless there was a mass amount of scientist genocide in this world

• 4getting20094getting2009 Member UncommonPosts: 178

And Tolkien stole his ideas from Beowulf and Norse myth and they stole their ideas from...and...and..and...