Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dawntide for Roleplayers

One thing a lot of roleplayers these days tend to miss is how awesomely sandbox MMORPGs provide tools condusive to a roleplaying environment. Anyone who roleplayed on UO will probably have a hint of what I mean.

Dawntide is a sandbox game, inspired by UO, that is currently in Open Beta-- this means that it is currently free to play, and will be until release, which isn't for quite some time.

Those of you who have tried games like Darkfall or Mortal Online will probably be shying away at this point, but fear not! Dawntide is not a game of grind. While you may take a month out of your life to learn how to make a boat on Darkfall, you can single handedly build your own boat in a couple of days. My relatively small faction completed our own keep without having any materials gathered beforehand in only 3 days, which claimed us an island to ourselves.

While it is important to note that the game is in beta, and thus is not a completed game, and will have bugs, the game provides a perfect opportunity for those who wish to found a roleplaying community. You can start your own faction, take over an island, build a castle. You can build your own house (A hut or cobblestone house is easier to build than a boat), your own furniture is easily crafted by carpenters. Your character is highly customizable, and your script is your own.

Dawntide's own community forums include a forum specifically for the roleplayers: http://www.dawntide.net/forum/community/tavern

Don't be surprised by the low count of roleplayers in the game. It isn't an indication of anything, really, other than the low population of the game as a whole. I do recommend this game for guilds and players who want to found a roleplaying community, and I believe the game has all the tools you need as a roleplayer.

I write this mostly because I wasted years roleplaying on themepark games such as WoW, which refuse to include any sandbox elements, when I could have been on a sandbox game which had all the tools I need. Build your own village or found an empire, live as a peaceful explorer or a savage killer. Currently, only the southern islands in the game (many of which are still unclaimed) have PvP enabled, but it is important to note that the game will turn world PvP on again at some point, and it is full-loot. This means that now is the perfect time to get comfortable and grow your character.

Comments

• LashleyLashley Member UncommonPosts: 587

I'll try it out.

• AdamaiAdamai Member UncommonPosts: 476

Originally posted by Edune

One thing a lot of roleplayers these days tend to miss is how awesomely sandbox MMORPGs provide tools condusive to a roleplaying environment. Anyone who roleplayed on UO will probably have a hint of what I mean.

Dawntide is a sandbox game, inspired by UO, that is currently in Open Beta-- this means that it is currently free to play, and will be until release, which isn't for quite some time.

Those of you who have tried games like Darkfall or Mortal Online will probably be shying away at this point, but fear not! Dawntide is not a game of grind. While you may take a month out of your life to learn how to make a boat on Darkfall, you can single handedly build your own boat in a couple of days. My relatively small faction completed our own keep without having any materials gathered beforehand in only 3 days, which claimed us an island to ourselves.

While it is important to note that the game is in beta, and thus is not a completed game, and will have bugs, the game provides a perfect opportunity for those who wish to found a roleplaying community. You can start your own faction, take over an island, build a castle. You can build your own house (A hut or cobblestone house is easier to build than a boat), your own furniture is easily crafted by carpenters. Your character is highly customizable, and your script is your own.

Dawntide's own community forums include a forum specifically for the roleplayers: http://www.dawntide.net/forum/community/tavern

Don't be surprised by the low count of roleplayers in the game. It isn't an indication of anything, really, other than the low population of the game as a whole. I do recommend this game for guilds and players who want to found a roleplaying community, and I believe the game has all the tools you need as a roleplayer.

I write this mostly because I wasted years roleplaying on themepark games such as WoW, which refuse to include any sandbox elements, when I could have been on a sandbox game which had all the tools I need. Build your own village or found an empire, live as a peaceful explorer or a savage killer. Currently, only the southern islands in the game (many of which are still unclaimed) have PvP enabled, but it is important to note that the game will turn world PvP on again at some point, and it is full-loot. This means that now is the perfect time to get comfortable and grow your character.

you should never ever ever ever be able to aquire a guild keep like you have done in any mmo. they are vast structures that would take months and months maybe a year or two to construct in reality. and for that reason alone i wouldnt even concider trying the game. sorry.  too simple every one will have guilds and every one will have keeps. it will look just like player houses on tatoine in starwars galaxies.. out of place and a complete mess and have little to no real purpose.

guilds should only be able to aquire such things if they are incredibly dedictaed and bustling with activity filled with skilled players who are in the game to make a hobby out of it. that means deeep concentrated crafting systems that are complex and works hand in hand with a realisitic ingame world economy.

if you want simplicity thats what wow was made for. or runes of magic.  or better still lord of the rings online.  im sorry but a true mmorpg sandbox should be as free form as humanly possible so it does actualy feel like a sandbox

im talking real life sandbox not this notion gamers have picked up based of games with the genre classification of sandbox mmo such as swg .. im talking the true feeling of stepping into a sandbox..

you know sand between your toes lots of materials and tools to use and play with to build your castle from the ground up. and who knows maybe your keep can be a mott and baily instead with a small moat running round it. or would you rather have a towering fortress behind 3 maybe 4 high walls ladened with balista  and troops.

lol i really really do believe no one in todays games know what a true sandbox mmorpg is.  eve online is the closest ive found so far. even that isnt terribly sandbox. it could be a whole lot better.

• 0guz0guz Member UncommonPosts: 287

even running animations are terrible and you are talking about roleplaying... and game crashes.. a lot / in my pc anyway

i am sorry but  no more alpha state game launches... it is getting ridic.......

• BrixonBrixon Member UncommonPosts: 259

I don't know about the roleplaying possiblities, but if this game is released anytime soon in this alpha state, it's going to fail miserably. As a matter of fact they should call it "Open Alpha".

I really love that door bug. Doors open for a second, then slam close. Don't go inside or you can't get out.

• rfernan9rfernan9 Member Posts: 27

This is interesting haven't play this kind of MMORPG. Most of the MMORPG that I played are not of that kind. Might as well check this out, if it interest me maybe I do it for 3 months. If it doesn't well there is no harm in trying. Thanks for the information, it already catch my interest.

• GameDevJakeGameDevJake Member Posts: 27

This remind me alot of Darkfalls original site. I had alot of fun in Darkfall, but just couldnt stay with it. Ill give Dawntide a try, and see what happens.