Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: Users Unlikely to play the RMAH Market

Comments

• Teh_AxiTeh_Axi Member UncommonPosts: 380

Man you nerds need to get a grip, most of you wont even play past normal mode nevermind use either AH.

• busdriverbusdriver Member Posts: 859

Path of Exile. That is all.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by Warmaker

Blizzard's not fighting anything at all.  They just want their cut.  That is all image

Bingo!

The same as SOE implementing the Station Exchange servers to, ostensibly, "help fight RMT and give people a safe platform to trade through..."... with SOE, of course, getting a cut.

Only problem is SOE did nothing to fight RMT on the non-Station Exchange servers. The gold selling/buying continued unhampered.

So, in the end, it was really entirely about SOE getting their cut. The whole "protecting the players" deal was nothing but PR, to make the players feel "okay" about it, that "SOE had their backs". Heh. Yeah right.

No doubt it's exactly the same thing here with Blizzard and the AH in D3. It's there 100% because Blizz wants a cut of the action. It has nothing to do with wanting to prevent scams and such. They just want their cut.

Does anyone doubt that people will continue engaging in RMT outside the game to bypass Blizz's fees? Does anyone think Blizz is going to "approve" of that, even though they're doing nothing different than what they'd be doing through the RMAH - exchanging in-game items for real cash? Of course they won't be. Their only concern will be that they're not getting their cut. I sense Kotick's name all over this.

Anyone who says "Well, it's their game, they deserve a cut!" is completely missing the point.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• Darkor_hXcDarkor_hXc Member UncommonPosts: 209

this game is too old!!!

• SinnSinn Member UncommonPosts: 93

I love the market - you can make money from fucking playing video games? genius, hope they expand on it of course I won't buy anything from it, i'll let the suckers do that.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by Sinn

I love the market - you can make money from fucking playing video games? genius, hope they expand on it of course I won't buy anything from it, i'll let the suckers do that.

Gee... Remember when games were about the gameplay?

Yeah, so do I.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by WSIMike

Originally posted by Warmaker
    Blizzard's not fighting anything at all.  They just want their cut.  That is all
    Bingo!
    The same as SOE implementing the Station Exchange servers to, ostensibly, "help fight RMT and give people a safe platform to trade through..."... with SOE, of course, getting a cut.
    Only problem is SOE did nothing to fight RMT on the non-Station Exchange servers. The gold selling/buying continued unhampered.
    So, in the end, it was really entirely about SOE getting their cut. The whole "protecting the players" deal was nothing but PR, to make the players feel "okay" about it, that "SOE had their backs". Heh. Yeah right.
    No doubt it's exactly the same thing here with Blizzard and the AH in D3. It's there 100% because Blizz wants a cut of the action. It has nothing to do with wanting to prevent scams and such. They just want their cut.
    Does anyone doubt that people will continue engaging in RMT outside the game to bypass Blizz's fees? Does anyone think Blizz is going to "approve" of that, even though they're doing nothing different than what they'd be doing through the RMAH - exchanging in-game items for real cash? Of course they won't be. Their only concern will be that they're not getting their cut. I sense Kotick's name all over this.
    Anyone who says "Well, it's their game, they deserve a cut!" is completely missing the point.

The desire to cut down on people making money that they should be getting a cut of should be enough to get Blizzard to do something about transactions outside of the game. Ditto for account hacking, etc. Anything that isn't an in game transaction is money that they aren't making.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• crazynannycrazynanny Member Posts: 173
    Well since RMT can't exist without customers aka players, I'm sayin Blizz made a good choice NOT to fight with it's own customers(lazy douches, but still). As for RMT now they'll have to compete with legit players, that's a slap in their face...
  • ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670

it will turn out to be like this :

Everyone will post items on the RMAH

Everyone wil buy items off of Normal AH

• n3verendRn3verendR Member UncommonPosts: 452

I'll be enjoying D3 and making a few extra bucks, probably to fund the purchase of other games. Already got my strategy mapped out.

If you guys don't/do want to participate in RMAH, you know what - good for you - I sincerely hope it helps you sleep at night, because to me... it's just another feature of a game I was going to play any ways.

But know that regardless of what anyone says, it will be a popular and USED feature. This isn't RealID, far from it - this is an optional service that allows for the same kind of trading that has been in games since at least as far back as 1998.

People think it's fun to pretend your a monster. Me I spend my life pretending I'm not. - Dexter Morgan

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

Just like no one paid real money for gear in D2? Of course not, those spambots were just there for show.

I'm sure there will be people not buying gear, heck i'd even be inclined not to use the AH at all, but if history shows us anything you'll know damn well many will be paying too.

• ThekandyThekandy Member Posts: 621

Originally posted by Reizlanzer

I'll be enjoying D3 and making a few extra bucks, probably to fund the purchase of other games. Already got my strategy mapped out.

If you guys don't/do want to participate in RMAH, you know what - good for you - I sincerely hope it helps you sleep at night, because to me... it's just another feature of a game I was going to play any ways.

But know that regardless of what anyone says, it will be a popular and USED feature. This isn't RealID, far from it - this is an optional service that allows for the same kind of trading that has been in games since at least as far back as 1998.

Here's a guy who know what's what.

The selling of items, characters and currency has funded every game purchase i've made in the last few years, mostly from the EQ2 Exchange servers, but also in games like WoW, Runescape and LotRO.

RealID was a whole different problem as you point out, people don't like having their illusions of privacy on the internet shattered and they besically came out and said "Hey guys, everything you do, say and play will be made public to a degree, isn't it swell?" not the brightest of decisions really, i'm completely certain that it would have been a smash-hit had Blizzard made the whole thing less about broadcasting your info and more about letting your friends know the latest news. An optional opt-out would have done wonders.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

cant wait to play, cant wait to sell.  I loved D1-D2, had lots of fun playing em, will have lots of fun playing D3, and if I happen to get an item that me or none of my friends want/need, then maybe I can make a little cash.  No harm no foul.  You dont have to use the RMAH, this is so much better then micro trans options, cause the RMAH guarantees that every item available can be found if you play long enough

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

I think most players will not play multiplayer, if that is an option.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• sldropsldrop Member Posts: 112

I cant wait to c people lose money in RMTAH. LOL

D2 items sell back then becasue the "Gold Farmer" wasnt that big back then.

Try to sell Wow gold or any other mmo game gold now, Its just going to be wasted of ur time.  THEY  have more farmer and more gold.

ITS going to be the same thing for D3 items!! They going to out number u 100 to 1 and 24/7 farming, you guys going to get under cut from "Gold farmer company". 

Oh and those people spwam chat channle for selling X items.....  going to get it lol  

ILL be one of those people who say ill buy X items and wait for u to put in AH then  dont buy  and ignore u. lol 

• LisXiaLisXia Member Posts: 390

Originally posted by sldrop

I cant wait to c people lose money in RMTAH. LOL

D2 items sell back then becasue the "Gold Farmer" wasnt that big back then.

Try to sell Wow gold or any other mmo game gold now, Its just going to be wasted of ur time.  THEY  have more farmer and more gold.

ITS going to be the same thing for D3 items!! They going to out number u 100 to 1 and 24/7 farming, you guys going to get under cut from "Gold farmer company". 

Oh and those people spwam chat channle for selling X items.....  going to get it lol  

ILL be one of those people who say ill buy X items and wait for u to put in AH then  dont buy  and ignore u. lol 

Its a market thing, not you thing.  No one cares what you want to buy, there are millions out there buying and selling.  Absence of your participation means one less competitor, but only one less out of millions.  No one will notice at all.

Gold farmers undercut?  Players undercut?  Once undercut sets in, market competition is at work.  Price going down means less profitability for all.  That means gold farmers will have less incentive to play the market.  That is nice in my books.

• sldropsldrop Member Posts: 112

Originally posted by LisXia

I cant wait to c people lose money in RMTAH. LOL.......

Its a market thing, not you thing.  No one cares what you want to buy, there are millions out there buying and selling.  Absence of your participation means one less competitor, but only one less out of millions.  No one will notice at all.

Gold farmers undercut?  Players undercut?  Once undercut sets in, market competition is at work.  Price going down means less profitability for all.  That means gold farmers will have less incentive to play the market.  That is nice in my books.

True ...but its going to be a long while befroe undercut prices set in and until then a lot of people going ot lose money to bliz  fee price. WIll i guess u have to lose some to make some lol

and im 100% sure gold farmer going to play the market until the game die lol. 

• bansanbansan Member Posts: 367

The potential for this is so big.  I do agree that anyone who buys from AH...is particpating in unadulterated stupidity.   Items bought and sold are based on rarity...which is in complete control by the people running the AH...

You are completely blind to who puts what in the AH...they could have a bot, or many bots, that autogenerate items on some basis to maximize income...and no one would know until an employee spills the beans.

I guess this is the progression from the private WOW server that sold 2 millions dollars worth of gear packages to players, except Blizzard will be doing it this time.

• WhySoShortWhySoShort Member Posts: 315

Here's a question for you: How are those who actually play for fun going to be able to compete with the item farmers in the RMAH? 

I cant wait to c people lose money in RMTAH. LOL.......

True ...but its going to be a long while befroe undercut prices set in and until then a lot of people going ot lose money to bliz  fee price. WIll i guess u have to lose some to make some lol

and im 100% sure gold farmer going to play the market until the game die lol. 

How fast competition will set in depends on supply, and hence drop rates from game.  If all things drop like rain, hahaha.

As for gold farmers, technically there is no way telling them from any player, if there really is a difference.  If I have time and I am bored, I can farm the same session or boss till I drop dead and sell everything just for the heck of it.  Pray tell, am I a farmer?  yes and no.  I remember farming Memphisto with my young nephew back then, 10hours a day for weeks during his first summer vacation.  I remember having so much loot we have to go online and just drop them on the floor for whoever wishing to pick them up free.  If time goes back for 10+ years, I would be doing the same on RMAH. hahaha again.

So it is all hypothetical now, as I am old, my nephew doing his undergraduate studies, and D3 still not on the shelf of my friend's gameshop.

Originally posted by WhySoShort

Here's a question for you: How are those who actually play for fun going to be able to compete with the item farmers in the RMAH? 

Here is the answer, 10 thousand farmers vs 1 million players.  1 item posted by every player vs 100 items posted by every farmer.

Here is another answer, players in the past have no use for unwanted gear, they vanish as they were deleted or dropped on the floor, or left unlooted.  Famers loot everything and sell on private sites, unchallenged.  Nowadays players can sell everything, and on secured sites which are far more attractive to use than unsecure farmer sites.

Here is another answer, it is no longer possible to tell a farmer from a player, if they both list on Blizzard's AH.

Here is the answer, 10 thousand farmers vs 1 million players.  1 item posted by every player vs 100 items posted by every farmer.

Here is another answer, players in the past have no use for unwanted gear, they vanish as they were deleted or dropped on the floor, or left unlooted.  Famers loot everything and sell on private sites, unchallenged.  Nowadays players can sell everything, and on secured sites which are far more attractive to use than unsecure farmer sites.

Here is another answer, it is no longer possible to tell a farmer from a player, if they both list on Blizzard's AH.

My point is that item farmers spend all their time collecting items, so they'll be able to sell items at much lower prices than the average player. In this way, not only will "normal" players not be able to succesfully make sales, but all the money they spend will end up in the pockets of the item farmers. The average player is still out of the loop. 

My point is that item farmers spend all their time collecting items, so they'll be able to sell items at much lower prices than the average player. In this way, not only will "normal" players not be able to succesfully make sales, but all the money they spend will end up in the pockets of the item farmers. The average player is still out of the loop. 

Two issues.

First farmers exist all along, in D2 all sales goes to farmers.  In D3 players can sell and with players vastly outnumber farmers, competition could be serious.

Players need not farm 24/7 like farmers but their sheer number can gernate just as much supply, or more.  Lets wait and see.

Players indeed could be farming 24/7 like farmers, just for the sake of playing.  I once did.  And with RMAH, they can sell as much as farmers.  Lets wait and see again.

Can they compete?  With competition, price might fall.  As price falls, those with less cost will survive longer.  Players who do not need to pay salaries to farm the game have less costs, in general than farmers who hire "farming hands".  Of course this is just speculation, since D3 is still not yet in beta.

As for money spent, definitely some will go back to "normal" players, instead of D2 scenario in which every dollar spent is earnt by farmers.

Originally posted by zymurgeist

How are they going to be able to sell lower? I've literally got no investment in an item. I can sell it for the fees plus one cent and make a profit.

You invested time, and time is money. If you spent an hour getting an item and sold it for, say, five dollars, you've lost money because you could have made more money with that time ($7.25 to be exact). That and you wasted time that could have been spent having fun. 

My point is that as a player instead of a farmer, you'll encounter good items by chance. As a farmer, you'll play those odds and find good items by persistance. The item farmer, therefore, could end up with five or ten valuable items farming in the same time a real player could find 2 or 3 playing the game. 

• paroxysmparoxysm Member Posts: 437

Originally posted by namelessbob

Originally posted by Sulaa

I cannot suport a game which bring things like RMAH

Enjoy playing every game with an unregulated one then. Not a single game out there is without gold sellers of some nature. Blizzard is making it safe, and adding an absolutely great step towards owning their property like anyone who develops their IP should. I commend Blizzard, and must say bravo to them for grasping the real world.

Or, it could be that the people that don't want anything to do with a RMAH have something against it at a moral level.  It could also be that they know that NO piece of software is 100% secure and without exploitable bugs.  Those people never have and won't go near a third party site that offers it either. 

If you really think the only reason Blizzavision is doing this is to make it "safer" for their customers, you are a little naive.  If they really were doing it just from the bottom of their heart, why would they have multiple fees associated with it instead of just one to cover third party banking transaction costs?