Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would suggest staying far away from this game.

DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

The game can be fun for a while. And might be worth the time and cash for a month or 2 if not for C-Store issues you could have.

But you are basically playing russian roulette with your cash. The customer support will ( if they ever get around to you) just close your tickests.

You can click on an item to buy, and be charged for a totaly different item, and have that item show up as purchased on your character in game, and be told that you do not have it::)

Heh what makes this worse? The item is supposed to be unlocked on the whole account. But it is not, just on the character that got charged for it in the first place. But since they say i do not even have it ( but i can see it on unlocks and use the costumes)  cant even use it on any other characters either:)

They really have some serious issues with their C-Store.  From getting charged for items you do not even click on to them apparently not even being able to see what you have or were charged for in the first place i guess.

Just be aware, if you use the C-Store, you really are taking the chance you will lose your cash in this game and not be able to get it fixed, or changed.

Comments

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

My problem with STO is that there's so much in the game that isn't explained to the new player in the slightest.  Given that after completing the tutorial, I didn't even know what sort of currency the game used was a bad sign, but everything from stats on gear, to spending attribute points, to upgrading ships I had no clue about given just what I learned from the game itself.

Another annoyance was the variety of uniforms, which many see as a plus.  I like that I have control over how my character looks, but it's stupid when you have people running around in Star Trek Enterprise uniforms and TOS movie uniforms in the 24th century.

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

My problem with STO was the game is BAD!  I love Star Trek, but this game was a joke.

Not a single thing in this game during beta made me thing "This is cool"

If a game can't provide even a single cool moment for me It gets tossed in the trash!

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692

I thought the game was ok as far as space combat was concerned for about 2 weeks.  I never liked the "away team" missions... just BORING.  I htink I played for 2 months before I couldn't take it anymore.  I'll play it again.

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809

The ground combat killed this game for me. I enjoyed the space game, but not enough to keep me around due to the ground combat. 

• ArthineasArthineas Member Posts: 231

Well I guess like the old saying goes, dfferent strokes for different folks.  I am currently playing STO along side Lotro and I am having an amazing time.  Not going to debate people here but its been a long time since I sat down and played a game for almost 16 hours.  I also play at pretty weird times too and there always seems to be a lot of players around.  It never feels empty.  People seem very friendly too.  A lot of friend and team invites.

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361

[mod edit - please be respectful of other posters]

I've played plenty of MMO's in my time and there are plenty of them that are alot worse then this one. STO has actually come quite far since it launched. When it laucnhed it was pretty bad, but the game is descent now. Honestly if you did any research you would know what the game used to be like. It isn't the best MMO out there but it isnt the worst either. STO is a solid game for what it is.

Reality Check... just because you dont like a game means its Bad game.. it just means that its not your type of Game.

• BeachcomberBeachcomber Member Posts: 535

Ive been playing the game, £5.00 wasnt a ibg investment for a box.

The ground combat has been redone and is actually very good. You can choose a first person view now. The Space combat is ok but gets a bit repetitive in my opinion.

The GFX are great and the game runs very smooth on my machine.

Overall its quite solid levelling experience (if you like Star Trek) but i hear their is no endgame.

• fionanshrekfionanshrek Member Posts: 104

Originally posted by trash656

Give me a break... You guys sound like a bunch of whiners that will complain about anything. Honestly do your research.

I've played plenty of MMO's in my time and there are plenty of them that are alot worse then this one. STO has actually come quite far since it launched. When it laucnhed it was pretty bad, but the game is descent now. It isn't the best MMO out there but it isnt the worst either.

Sorry but a month or two worth of entertainment is good for a non sub game for pc or console but to pay box fee then a sub fee (with a cash shop) and get barely two months of play is not acceptable.

And you don't have to take my word for it refer to the more than half of the launch player base that didn't stick with the game beyond the first few months.

Or ask Atari who sold the company a few months ago which we know wouldn't have happened if the game was doing good.

There are probably other mmo's that just about everyone can agree is worse than STO but that doesn't let them off the hook for the trash they put out.

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361

Originally posted by fionanshrek

Give me a break... You guys sound like a bunch of whiners that will complain about anything. Honestly do your research.

I've played plenty of MMO's in my time and there are plenty of them that are alot worse then this one. STO has actually come quite far since it launched. When it laucnhed it was pretty bad, but the game is descent now. It isn't the best MMO out there but it isnt the worst either.

Sorry but a month or two worth of entertainment is good for a non sub game for pc or console but to pay box fee then a sub fee (with a cash shop) and get barely two months of play is not acceptable.

So you played the game for 2 months then? there must of been something good about the game to keep you interested for that long. Hell, Most MMO's that i dont like I play them for about 20 - 30 mins and uninstall it

most P2P MMO's have you buy the box and pay a sub fee. Thats a pretty standard thing. Thats why they call them P2P MMO's. alot of P2P MMO's now a days have Cash Shops that sell Vanity items, and exp potions IE Everquest 2, Age of Conan, EvE Online. It's a fact of life now for MMO gamers unfortunitly. I wouldn't be surpsied if Bioware ends up putting some sort of cash shop in the new starwars mmo coming out as well.

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

My post was not to bash the game really. It was to say that the C-store bugs, and yes thats what they are ..bugs.  Happen. I was planning on paying the sub for another month till it took my cash.

After 3 weeks of trying to get them to look at my character and see that i had gotten something i didnt click on in store. i gave up.

Not one of them would look at my character. They just quote their logs and close tickets.

What is the point of paying them to play a game, if they will not even look at a character to see if you are telling them the truth?

Something as easy as that, look on the character and see if he has the bundle unlocked. And can use it. Thats all it would of taken to see what the issue was and fix it. But over 3 weeks practically begging them to just look and not a one would do that.

If that is the level of customer service, does it really matter what the game play is like? If you get hit with a bug, and even worse one that takes your cash in a store, and they refuse to even investigate, you got to be a fool to keep giving them more cash.

I guess to some i was a fool to try the game in the first place:P but i always like to give games a try for myself. Well like i said, i was having fun till this issue came up and i started getting the run a round from CS.  But that pretty well told me everything i needed to know. They will gladly take your cash, and do absolutely nothing to investigate if something does not go right in game.

So as i said in the title. I would say to stay far away from this game and company.

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

The game itself is not great, but some of the episodes (story quests) are ok. If you really like Star Trek, you should at least try it. I played this for a month for 3€.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

I almost never read anything about this game now.  Is it still PTP with box cost? 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• DruuuDruuu Member UncommonPosts: 9

Originally posted by Arthineas

Well I guess like the old saying goes, dfferent strokes for different folks.

I've played plenty of MMO's in my time and there are plenty of them that are alot worse then this one. STO has actually come quite far since it launched. When it laucnhed it was pretty bad, but the game is descent now. Honestly if you did any research you would know what the game used to be like. It isn't the best MMO out there but it isnt the worst either. STO is a solid game for what it is.

Reality Check... just because you dont like a game means its Bad game.. it just means that its not your type of Game.

Like these guys say, if you tried it and didn't like it, then you don't like it. "To each their own."

Originally posted by Arthineas

...there always seems to be a lot of players around.  It never feels empty.  People seem very friendly too.  A lot of friend and team invites.

I've had the same experience too and try to spread that to others in the game, especially to people just starting out.

• saya1965saya1965 Member Posts: 46

sto simply does not hold to the basic mmo design that the others do. Its instanced way to much.

• Mondo80Mondo80 Member UncommonPosts: 194

Guild Wars was also heavily instanced.

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

Give me a break... You guys sound like a bunch of whiners that will complain about anything.

Look, I'll respect your opinion.  However, others are well within their rights to discuss the game as they see it and share their own opinion.  Just as you are doing.  So please stop with the "Give me a break you guys are whiners" routine.   I am sure you can convey your thoughts in a way that will give others more cause to take you seriously.  About your reality check, well, that's just going to turn into a bout of circling arguments. 

Reality check... just because you like the game dosent mean its good... it just means that your nose is up cryptics behind.

See?

There are parts of the game that I find good.  I like the new ground combat revamp for instance.  I like how some of the ships look, and I like the game music.  Well, most of the game music.  I like the ship combat, and the ingame community dosent seem so bad.  The rest, well, I wont go into detail and I will just leave it at that.

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774

Originally posted by Mondo80

GW is not heavily instanced it is an instance lol.

Anyway I think if you like ST then you may indeed like STOL.

Shame about the OP's customer Service experience, if a game put so much in to a cash shop then they should ensure that their service is up to par. Maybe they are still working on it :p

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Guild Wars isn't an MMORPG.

• saya1965saya1965 Member Posts: 46

Originally posted by Xondar123

• Vato26Vato26 Member Posts: 3,930

Many disagree.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

To the OP, how did you pay for your unintended purchase? Did you pay by credit card? You can contest the purchase with your bank or credit card company and try to get it reversed. I don't know if PayPal has something similar since I don't use it.

I would also write a letter, in a respectful tone, to the CS complaining about their attitude. You're right, the game company shouldn't be acting like that.

This is one of the reasons why I don't do cash shops... it seems like every single one of them has bugs and other problems. In EQ2X, for example, switching from gold to platinum membership did not always register and people had to submit tickets to get it fixed. Not very cool when you pay 200 bucks for something...

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Originally posted by DarLorkar

The game can be fun for a while. And might be worth the time and cash for a month or 2 if not for C-Store issues you could have.

But you are basically playing russian roulette with your cash. The customer support will ( if they ever get around to you) just close your tickests.

You can click on an item to buy, and be charged for a totaly different item, and have that item show up as purchased on your character in game, and be told that you do not have it::)

Heh what makes this worse? The item is supposed to be unlocked on the whole account. But it is not, just on the character that got charged for it in the first place. But since they say i do not even have it ( but i can see it on unlocks and use the costumes)  cant even use it on any other characters either:)

They really have some serious issues with their C-Store.  From getting charged for items you do not even click on to them apparently not even being able to see what you have or were charged for in the first place i guess.

Just be aware, if you use the C-Store, you really are taking the chance you will lose your cash in this game and not be able to get it fixed, or changed.

Wait, right?

Really?

just asking...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

Originally posted by Robokapp

Originally posted by Vato26

Many disagree.

doesnt matter. many disagree on evolution too.

mmorpg's have a definition that guild wars does not fit. there's no...agreeing/disagreeing to it. it either fits or does not.

So is mmorpg in Merriam Webster's now?How does one set themselves up as a judge of what it either fits or does not anyhow? GW has a massive world it is online and has multiplayer so I disagree to your "there is no...agreeing/disagreeing to it." GW fits enough for me,I could careless about being able to run into every player in the world at one time anyhow and would rather not to be honest.

Anyhow on topic I am glad STO is going f2p I enjoyed the time I played it but just didnt want to play another sub based game especially when I play sporadically,so didnt resub after my 2 months were up.But will definately go back.

• ErzabetaErzabeta Member Posts: 14

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the in game store. Hopefully it will get resolved.

For myself, I'm half way through the 60 day trial I found and have thus far had a blast. I enjoy the space combat, enjoy the away missions, have done some really cool player made missions, and like the graphics and sound. I really like the UI and was honestly pleased with having to actually learn some stuff as I went along. And the character customization is awesome.

For sure once it's F2P the USS Draculesti shall boldly go where everyone else has already gone...

• Vato26Vato26 Member Posts: 3,930

Originally posted by Robokapp

Originally posted by Vato26

Many disagree.

doesnt matter. many disagree on evolution too.

mmorpg's have a definition that guild wars does not fit. there's no...agreeing/disagreeing to it. it either fits or does not.

That is false.  Guild Wars fits just fine with the definition of an mmorpg.

EDIT:  Also, keep you comments about evolution to yourself unless you wish to be banned.