Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallen Earth: Free to Play Arrives October 12th

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

GamersFirst and the Fallen Earth development team have officially unveiled several key components of the free to play iteration of the game. First off the bat is the announcement that Fallen Earth's free to play version will launch on October 12th.

The team also revealed the subscription levels:

• Scavenger: These are the completely free players who are new to the game or who are returning players. Scavengers have a limited number of hours per day to craft items, but can experience the game otherwise in its entirety.

• Survivalists: This is considered the "entry level" premium subscription. This level is $9.99 per month and removes any restrictions from the Scavenger level.

• Wastelander: For $14.99, players receive a 'dramatic' increase in "harvesting and crafting speed, as well as the rates of gain of EXP, AP, Death Toll, and faction. Players also receive a 5% discount in the item store and 300 Reward Points per month.

• Commander: Not priced, this level is the highest level of subscription and includes  "the Commander aura, a stackable buff that increases salvaging speed, EXP, Random AP, Death Toll, and Faction gain rates for all players in the Commander's group."

The blog post also goes into detail about Veteran Rewards, World Events and special festivities to celebrate Fallen Earth's second anniversary.

Read the full post on the Fallen Earth blog.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• JalarisJalaris Member UncommonPosts: 29

Limited number of hours to play? ha, there goes my plan of playing it when it goes F2P

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

Originally posted by Jalaris

Limited number of hours to play? ha, there goes my plan of playing it when it goes F2P

wow. ya i was just about to post, 'good to hear, i'll certainly be there.' not now. such a shame.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

I wonder how long they discussed this pricing model.  Seems they are offering variable degrees of crappy subscriptions.  Even an "extra premium" sub that basically can be akin to "pay to win."

basically...suffer limited play, slow crafting/harvesting times, or pay a premium.

This game was so awesome and I had such high hopes in beta, but sadly it flopped.  So many good ideas, cool world, but lackluster group play led me to leave.

I believe back when, there was basically zero group quests/dungeons.  You can complete the game completely solo.

"Well, dragim, you can group up to tackle quests."

Yes but I don't need a group to complete a quest that takes me 5 minutes to complete solo.

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

http://www.gamersfirst.com/sites/www.gamersfirst.com.fallenearth/files/F2PMatrix.png

hmm according to their graphic from their blog the gameplay for free is 24/7  only thing that looks time limited is crafting...

i dunno maybe i'm looking at it wrong i did just wake up...again lol

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• DunkareDunkare Member Posts: 33

THIS IS FALSE INFORMATION!!!

theres no limited time to play! just crafting is limited to 8 hrs a day for free accounts! you can play 24/7, free or not!

SHAME ON YOU MMORPG.COM!!!

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Well it is certainly NOT free to play, but instead just a limited trial.  MMORPG gives these silly so called f2p announcements far too much leeway.  Just because the developer calls it something does not make it so.  This is stil a subscription game with a limited trial.

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

I don't normally suggest retractions but the OP from MMORPG.com definitely made a mistake and a large one. The free 'time limit' is on crafting as per their blog post. It doesn't say play time at all. I was ready to trash can this F2P based on the limited time to 'play' OP. Now I remain open-minded.

• SzabtomSzabtom Member Posts: 38

This news article needs a revision. Reading the official blog post carefully would probably help.

• RobbgobbRobbgobb Member UncommonPosts: 674

I have to say that the title is wrong from source. It should be called information about tiered plans including a limited free tier. This doesn't sound anything like free to play anything but frustration and either quit (almost for sure) or decide to pay (if already hurting then not likely to happen).

I don't understand how this "we will let you play limited time or small amount content and say it is free but to really enjoy the game will require a subscription" gets the title F2P. Doesn't make sense to me. I understand cheap costs of buying some content unlock but to have to subscribe (I don't mind subscribing) to get full enjoyment means I am not finding out if I like the game enough. Just give me a 10 day free trial that doesn't gimp me.

• JammaslamJammaslam Member Posts: 265

Honestly, going to their website and looking and the comparison, it looks like a pretty good FTP option (scavenger) and I will probably give it a shot.  MMORPG.com needs to get its act together and post the CORRECT information, or none at all.

• SzabtomSzabtom Member Posts: 38

Is it really that hard to read the official source? Or just the previous comments? There is no limit on the playtime.

• RobbgobbRobbgobb Member UncommonPosts: 674

Yes, but everything is slower and one slot (which I could understand with no restrictions) and limited funds. Not sure what the amount will be but they have put limits where it is a pay more to win which most people I know hate. I feel like the free tier is a teaser trying to lure you into subscribing.

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

Here we go again. Same shit different day. When will you people realise that F2P is like an extended trial? it lets you try the game without buying it, only difference is that there is no day limit on it.

F2P model of Fallen Earth is like a trial if you like what you see and sub for 10 bucks a mont or 15... it is up to you. AOC, COX, LOTRO, DDO, CO..best deal is still subscription option.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Edited the original news item.  Our apologies for the cockup!

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• phamannnphamannn Member Posts: 37

Ahh hmmm,  Well F.E, you do realise that scavengers -"f2p"- is not really  f2p right??

If you are limiting the "HOURS OF PLAY"  the players are not really free to play. They are Limited hours some what free to play.

F2P means players can choose to not pay  and play the game how ever long they choose while the servers are up with what ever content is allowed to be played.

I was looking to get back into F.E. starting with  f2p and seeing how things are. However, seeing that it will be limited amount of time to play each day on top of limited gaming content etc as f2p, I think ill bypass this one.

Any one for a game of gold fish?

Originally posted by phamannn

Ahh hmmm,  Well F.E, you do realise that scavengers -"f2p"- is not really  f2p right??

If you are limiting the "HOURS OF PLAY"  the players are not really free to play. They are Limited hours some what free to play.

F2P means players can choose to not pay  and play the game how ever long they choose while the servers are up with what ever content is allowed to be played.

I was looking to get back into F.E. starting with  f2p and seeing how things are. However, seeing that it will be limited amount of time to play each day on top of limited gaming content etc as f2p, I think ill bypass this one.

Any one for a game of gold fish?

And you can stll do that. if you just wanted to see how things are how does limit on crafting effects you? there is no limit on playing otherwise. I am sorry but it sounds as if you were expecting to play entire game free of cost and no F2P MMO will let you do that. 

Again, topic was  limited hours to play. Your play time may consist of doing  different things from what others do. If i choose to spend my time crafting in game then that is my "PLAY TIME". Again, hint-the topic of  LIMITED PLAY TIME.

Best wishes in the future still.

Originally posted by Dunkare

theres no limited time to play! just crafting is limited to 8 hrs a day for free accounts! you can play 24/7, free or not!

8 hours a day?! if you cant get your crafting fix off that, you *are* an addict ;)

And that my friend is the truth! One of the things i so enjoy. 8)>

Glad to see you noticed the limited play time for crafters per day.

Again, topic was  limited hours to play. Your play time may consist of doing  different things from what others do. If i choose to spend my time crafting in game then that is my "PLAY TIME". Again, hint-the topic of  LIMITED PLAY TIME.

Best wishes in the future still.

The point still remains. If you just wanted to see how things are in game even couple of hours are enough. The crafting and number of chips is limited but everything else is open without any time or day limit. Thi is much better then 7 day or 14 day free trial. 

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Crafting is passive and time based. So they have to limit it for free accounts, to prevent abuse.

No one is disputing the  better then trial/ 14 day free play.

Some of us care to craft more over going around questing and killing.

My satisfaction comes from the ones using my armor/weapons/items i made to slaughter those dungeon/instance bosses etc.

If  limited crafting time is in effect- that then limits my play time, concidering  crafting is all i do.

No one is disputing the  better then trial/ 14 day free play.

Some of us care to craft more over going around questing and killing.

My satisfaction comes from the ones using my armor/weapons/items i made to slaughter those dungeon/instance bosses etc.

If  limited crafting time is in effect- that then limits my play time, concidering  crafting is all i do.

8 hours is a lot. for crafting per day. And i am only basing my opinion on what you wrote.

'i just want to see how things are'. There is a big difference in what you said  and what you are expecting. You could have just said i want to play this game completely F2P and don't want to spend a dime on it. That would be more honest.

And that my friend is the truth! One of the things i so enjoy. 8)>

Glad to see you noticed the limited play time for crafters per day.

i love nothing more than exploring, harvesting, and crafting. in that order. =)

• ChimpsChimps Member Posts: 192

These games fall like dominos, dominos ddominos.

Yet another game to fall like a domino.

How on earth could they come to the conclusion that it was a good idea? You would expect people who manage to make a game like that have some intelligence in them.