Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it me or has mmorpg.com become a better site over the past half year or so?

Must say I really appreciate the columnist articles nowadays. Especially Bill, Isabelle, Mike B and since a short while Coyote are writing great stuff. (And in Coyote's case; hilarious too).

Also formats like Devil's Advocate, the Re-reviews and the multiple reviewer impressions are good ideas. You can tell they are actively working on improvement.

In addition news gets featured quickly. Even the tidbits. Maybe I'm wrong but it looks like much more news articles make it to mmorpg.com these days.

I must admit I always had mixed feelings for this site and used it for years mainly because of the game forums but the quality of editorial contributions and news section are really picking up ^_^

To complain for complaining sake would be me saying that moderation is being a bit on the strict side now and then but that has its advantages too I suppose.

So props to staff and writers, really.

Anyone sharing those impressions?

p.s. Yeah, my nose is brown.

Comments

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

I've always enjoyed the articles, and have always felt they've gotten better every single year. This year is no different, therefore I AGREE.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Personally, I think it's just you.

My experiences have been the opposite, I think it's drifted even further downhill over the last half year.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

really ,really brown ....heres a kleeex ......................    wipe it

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

Originally posted by Kost

My experiences have been the opposite, I think it's drifted even further downhill over the last half year.

Why do you feel this way?

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803

i will tend to agree here

it just seems articles have been written with highschool level argumentative methods and i find myself saying more than often... "uuuhhh what?" or "uhmm where you get that from?" or the classic "dude, do more research"

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

Originally posted by Squal'Zell

it just seems articles have been written with highschool level argumentative methods and i find myself saying more than often... "uuuhhh what?" or "uhmm where you get that from?" or the classic "dude, do more research"

While i think the site is fine for what I use it for, I have to agree that the quality of the articles produced on this site from all but one author are astonishingly poor.  I would have been embarrassed to turn anything of such quality in to my old college professors, let alone publish it under my name for thousands to read.   

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

Some bit's better, some worse. The moderation is deffinately a bit more heavy handed, though that would be a good thing for some I suppose. But I find myself replying a bit and not bothering to post knowing if you go aginst the popular/fan opinion you'll get reported continually.

Also some of the articals seem deliberately arguementative, bordering on troll. Which by me is fine but when you reply in a similar vain, banned for a week. Daft.

There was deffinately better coverage out there on the recent convensions, I would have thought mmorpg would have had better access than TB forinstance, but his vids were far superior. I'm sure there is an internal reason for this.

But some stuff is better. Still the better (non-community) site out there for what it does.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• VryheidVryheid Member UncommonPosts: 469

They do an excellent job reporting and compiling MMO news, which is 90% of the reason to even check the articles on this site. Basing your opinions on a few editorials is just ridiculous.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Ah, I thought you meant the forums, but you meant the site. I was already quite puzzled.

Can't say, there were some things I very much disliked, with some non-articles ('this game doesn't excite me' article with an uninformed, sloppy and lazy article writer comes to mind, plus a number of the DCUO articles), on the positive side they've been trying some new things. All in all it balances out.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Ya, I agree. Since I arrived the site has become better image lol

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

The site itself isn't really any different than the forum other than a lower volume of posting. Half of it is nonsense and the other have is interesting.

In all fairness though the past couple of years have been hard on sites like these, years ago there were games releasing left right and center with potential but the past few years have been pretty barren for them to write about other the sorry excuse for MMO's we've been showered with.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Except for Isabelle Parsley there isn't any author on this page publishing articles worth reading. I.e. the game related articles are nothing but a constant praise on the respective game. Barely ever touching the most obvious downsides, even if they are that bad that the game falls over them later on. There is a good posting floating around these forums pointing this out btw.

Same goes for the so called "interviews", which are nothing but another feature for dev X to hype his game, constantly allowed to dodge and PR spin any deeper questions -if any were asked in first place.

Often one could get the impression that in recent years this page rather went out to serve the industry way more than the reader/user. Don't be so biased towards the companies, regain some reader's trust.

One example: Mmorpg.com literally steamrolled the readers with hype before AoC's release, giving Funcom a stage to hype the game with features, interviews, hands ons etc., banning users from the AoC-forum for critic on a daily basis, allowing this troll-advocat to lure users into discussions to report and get them banned in the process. At times it was like Funcom completely took over this page. At release about 1mio customers got ripped off when it came to light that almost nothing of what Gaute, Ellingson+Co touted about AoC was true -and i haven't seen single article on this page picking up that subject.

{mod edit}

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

I've been nosing around this site for a good while, and have always enjoyed reading the articles and reviews. I for one think it has gotten better, but mostly because of the added moderation to the forums. As my post count shows, i've never really jumped in to many discussions in the past because i was always edgy about getting my head chopped off by the very vocal supporters/ non supporters of the games in question at the time, however with the addition or ramping up of the moderation I feel like people are having more decent debates/ conversations and less all-out Word-Wars, which i'm more comfortable with. My two cents :)

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206

Originally posted by Toxia

I've been nosing around this site for a good while, and have always enjoyed reading the articles and reviews. I for one think it has gotten better, but mostly because of the added moderation to the forums. As my post count shows, i've never really jumped in to many discussions in the past because i was always edgy about getting my head chopped off by the very vocal supporters/ non supporters of the games in question at the time, however with the addition or ramping up of the moderation I feel like people are having more decent debates/ conversations and less all-out Word-Wars, which i'm more comfortable with. My two cents :)

Personally I find this site, on occasion, has been an afront to free speech.  Better moderation makes for cleaner reading I guess.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Signal to noise ratio has improved significantly.

One part I appreciate greatly is improved moderation and enforcement of the no personal attacks policy.  Forum PVP used to be rampant in here.  That seems to be effectively reduced.  I'm glad for it.

Another change that I've notice is that moderation doesn't seem to be quite so arbitrary between forums.  There's much more consistancy now.  There are a still a few game forums that I have learned to not enter because observations from outsiders (or even players) seem to be not very well received.  I respect this and keep my distance.

I enjoy the columnists.  It's much easier to not find issue when one realizes that many of the columns would be considered editorial (voicing opinion and perspective rather than strict news reporting of facts).  Most are entertaining, more than a few somewhat educational, and some outright revealing with information about games that I'd have otherwise never known about.  MMORPGs are a huge and widely diverse market.  Even following the trends as a causual observer, there are far too many to keep track of.

Perhaps the only area I find to be in need of improvement is the chart.  I don't find it useful other than as a quick menu to find a game.  As a tool to select a game to play, I find it a bit lacking.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • XexvXexv Member Posts: 308

Not been here long but whilst the quality of the articles sometimes strikes me as lacklustre I do appreciate the very quick news posts as you mention, in this respect the website is invaluable.

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666

What I do miss are those awesome videos TotalHalibut does. Everything else seems fine for me.

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214

That is more than likely because they are trying to appeal to the majority, which with the mainstreaming of MMO's, has become a much younger generation of players.

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861

Originally posted by VoIgore

Often one could get the impression that in recent years this page rather went out to serve the industry way more than the reader/user. Don't be so biased towards the companies, regain some reader's trust.

One example: Mmorpg.com literally steamrolled the readers with hype before AoC's release, giving Funcom a stage to hype the game with features, interviews, hands ons etc., banning users from the AoC-forum for critic on a daily basis, allowing this troll-advocat to lure users into discussions to report and get them banned in the process. At times it was like Funcom completely took over this page. At release about 1mio customers got ripped off when it came to light that almost nothing of what Gaute, Ellingson+Co touted about AoC was true -and i haven't seen single article on this page picking up that subject.

Some of this is true but I was probably the most vocal pre-release critic of AoC and the only ban I got was probably deserved.  If you remember the "sex buff" flap---I got a little too gross probably in one post critisizing that and got a temp ban.

But in all fairness I have to say they didn't seem ban-happy to me.

On topic:

I have to say it has seemed to me that this site is going downhill but that's more because I'm becoming more apathetic about MMO's.   For me the forums have always been the heart of this site but I don't often have much to say anymore and I'm not much interested in any of the games in development.

• nobotttersnobottters Member Posts: 88

Not many people come here as much, as the place is antiwhiner heaven, and they ban all the wrong people just becaues of some negativity the fanboys are to weak to take.

As far as you talk about articles being great, the few I read on the few topics I care about anymore have been a real joke. I mean editorial profession of today is grade school quality at best.. Some of the things they talk about, clearly show they don't know what they are talking about and well... whatever... If you ask me, this place is as bad as it's ever been, i just poke my nose in hear to see if I missed any updates, and this thread caught my eye.. must respond.

IMO, once michael bitton goes, this place may have a chance, but that guy is so weak minded, he will ban every last one of you, just for sneezing

Regards,
    Nobotters - A better gaming experience

• AtaakaAtaaka Member UncommonPosts: 213

MMORPG is the HOTTEST information site alive.

Any place that can put up with my 95 insane posts (although I think some were deleted -lol) can't be that bad.

I think the people who come here are cool too. I mean, we don't always get along (wink wink) but we still come back because we have a cool place (err HOTTT PLACE) to share our minds. There is no insignificant post here, we all matter. And that alone, to me, makes all the difference in the world.

LE-E-ET FREE-EE-DOM RI-I-I-I-IN-NG!!!!

LOL -I have no plans for the day..that was the plan to start -which might explain why I'm raining posts today.

PS.

'Thank you' to all the subscribers who have also contributed to the site. I enjoy finding lists of games, hearing from beta testers, and sharing the tears and joy of this life-experience called gaming.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

It's gone downhill and the official articles are for the most part, crap.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Originally posted by Neanderthal

I have to say it has seemed to me that this site is going downhill but that's more because I'm becoming more apathetic about MMO's.   For me the forums have always been the heart of this site but I don't often have much to say anymore and I'm not much interested in any of the games in development.

A bunch of us are in that position.  There are probably more disgruntled adult gamers on this site (and forum) than anywhere else.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

I think the site has gotten better overall, however I'm a little embarassed browsing it on campus because of all the little anime girls on the adverstisment backrounds. Anyone who happens to look at my screen probably thinks I'm some dorky pedophile. I don't really care what others think, so I browse it anyway, I just wanted to share that though =)

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• echose7enechose7en Member UncommonPosts: 55

Lol, its just you.