Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

245 players online right now

124»

Comments

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by Xthos

I may come back, if they really start putting time/money into the game, if not, it will just be a great game that was left to waste by SoE.

They had promised a relaunch, long ago, and it never happend, for whatever reason....So I will wait and see, I will not give my money, until I see though.

Read my post above.  SoE invested a lot into the game.  The populations wasnt there and there is *zero* sign that it ever would be there.  The better the game got, the less people that played.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

I honestly dont understand why not more people play Vanguard. To me, its a dream come true: a classic fantasy MMO done right, or the perfect PvE MMO. Yeah I still have many ideas what to do better. But all I really miss is meaningful PvP, like Lineage 2 castle sieges.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Originally posted by teakbois

I may come back, if they really start putting time/money into the game, if not, it will just be a great game that was left to waste by SoE.

They had promised a relaunch, long ago, and it never happend, for whatever reason....So I will wait and see, I will not give my money, until I see though.

Read my post above.  SoE invested a lot into the game.  The populations wasnt there and there is *zero* sign that it ever would be there.  The better the game got, the less people that played.

Vanguard SLOWLY got better over a very long period of time.  People left, because they gave up on SOE.  You keep making it sound like SOE was humming along with Vanguard and the game was in great condition, but for no logical reason people left.

During all of this time Vanguard was trying to charge the same exact 14.95 that other games were charging, but had no were close to the level of polish, expansion or developer support.  Is it any wonder why people left?   SOE didn't do enough, fast enough to turn the game around. 

I personally still think Vanguard could see a turn around, but it would require far more than SOE is willing to invest and I'm pretty certain Vanguard is on the bottom of SOEs to-do list. 

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Originally posted by teakbois

SoE worked on the code, and the game, I played the game from the beginning, and for a long time.  When I played on a PvP server and SoE has their devs say they will not support PvP, and only work on PvE, until PvE is 'fixed'....I was wrong for leaving when people were fed up and left?  I am wrong for saying, 'show me'?

The game had a very bad launch, I had a brand new gaming computer and it was not that bad for me, so I didn't feel the sting that had so many people quit.  I got hit with the hitching and such, but not to the extent of most people...So I can not really say how bad it was for some.  It was bad enough that a ton of people quit due to the problems.

That is why SoE was saying that once they got things working better, and fixed things up, they would do a relaunch, they never did....So if you are correct, then what is SoE doing now with VG?  Why spend money now?  If their was *zero* sign then, it has to be less than *zero* now, since it is older, and people are not getting less fed up with the innaction over time.

If VG was so hopeless, why didn't they sell it?   True or Flase, they have been offered money for it multiple times, and they refuse to entertain offers, from accounts that I have read.  If true, why not unload it? 

VG is the last game I truely liked, I haven't liked a game as much since I left....  I am the customer, I gave them money for a long time, I gave them my 'hope' that they were going to do things they promised to do and continued to give them money when it looked like they weren't going to keep their word....  I like the game, but sorry...SHOW ME!  They used up my charity already.

I played EQ for too many years to count (bought every expansion, and the same for my wife), SWG, and VG....  I am not a SOE 'hater'...Even though I dislike often the direction they take their games and decisions they make.  I even look forward to EQ Next.....  I am just not going to resub to a game using my *hope*...If they don't share it.

• dazedconfusedazedconfuse Member Posts: 67
    I found this to be a very interesting exercise so thought I would give it a bump 456 at 3pm cst. I am in game and would say it seems very active atm. Vg has obviously seen some growth of late and I am very interested to see if it continues.
  • guardinnerguardinner Member UncommonPosts: 51

Originally posted by DukeDu

I was interested in buying this game on steam but this one topic made me change my mind. 

240 players? Gimme a break.

What he said, with bells on.

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

Originally posted by andreika111

go free to play for fuck sake

I agree. I would definetly try this game if it went F2P. It would attract more ppl to it.

***Raving Rabbid is waiting all to patiently to see Kate beckensale reprise her role as Vampire Selene in Underworld 4!***

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

245 players on sounds low considering how many I saw on line in my own guild alone but then it is one of the bigger more active guilds so, I suppose it is possible. There certainly is a lot of activity over on the start island so it doesn't seem that bad. But two things to keep in mind are, 1) The game is build to be group oriented and 2) Those who have stuck with the game realize that. The result is that the whole community is very community oriented. It is as if the entire server is a type of extended guild. People work together and they group easily. You can solo level up, it is not so group oriented that you will be stuck without a group but grouping is definitly better than not. That is a good balance to strike.

As far as the game going free to play, I think it would be hard to pull of in some ways but it is very likely to happen sooner or later. If EQ2 is any indication, then, yeah, SOE would turn it's own grandmother into cashshop/subscription optional free to play mmo if it could. And their renewed interest in Vang, that is, the recent updates, definitly makes me thing they have somekind of plan for it.

Personally I would like to see them simply make the subscription optional with subscribed accounts getting a continuous exp bonus. This is a model that worked surprisingly well for Lineage 2 in Russia. This would also involve the least amount of "messing" with the game to make it F2P friendly. A limited cash shop might also work but it can be harder to pull of in a more sandbox game like this than in a themepark like EQ2. The important thing would be for SOE to realize that simply getting more people into the game and building up the community would be the best content they could deliver to the existing, paying players. The other people are part of the experience. So from that perspective, your free players are not leaching off the game, they are becoming a part of it. And as L2Russia found out, most of the long term, on going accounts switch to being paying accounts. Double exp in a game that is legendary for its leveling grind is worth paying for, for those planning to stay a while. Same with Vanguard. It is not exactly a fast game to level in. A 50% or 100% exp bonus in a game where some 15 classes and 19 races are involved, as well as separately leveled crafting and diplomacy, yeah, I think people will go for that. At least the people who have been paying so far to play it would certainly be willing to continue if it meant getting a leveling bonus, so I don't see the move loosing them any money.

All die, so die well.

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

I kinda wanna give the game another go, what with the updates happening again and all... but my computer is fucky right now. :(

• allinanallinan Member Posts: 79

I have returned to VGSOH and having fun again in Telon!  Glad to see the activity increasing for this title!

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Originally posted by allinan

I have returned to VGSOH and having fun again in Telon!  Glad to see the activity increasing for this title!

lol

245 players in a game world the size of Telon is abysmal.  Even 800 players would be staggeringly low.  Vanguard is a great game, but it's all but dead at this point.  It's worth a shot for those that can stomach the population issues and the fact that it's harder to progress through the game as a result, but for people who are just coming off of WoW, you may wish to look at games like Rift, EQ2 or LotRO which are both fairly populated.

• sri_rishabhsri_rishabh Member Posts: 56

The title of the thread is misleading ..250 is the minimum number and that too in odd times ...

this long weekend (all 3 days) consistently 350-450 players were online on Telon..

This is more than sufficient number if you want to play groups...

Those who don't want to play VG will give 1000 excuses for not playing it....we are happy not having those people anyway....

My guild Twilghlyte song alone had 40-55 players online most of the time during the weekend...

Those who do not want to play VG , its your choice and ur loss..not VG

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Originally posted by sri_rishabh

The title of the thread is misleading ..250 is the minimum number and that too in odd times ...

this long weekend (all 3 days) consistently 350-450 players were online on Telon..

This is more than sufficient number if you want to play groups...

Those who don't want to play VG will give 1000 excuses for not playing it....we are happy not having those people anyway....

My guild Twilghlyte song alone had 40-55 players online most of the time during the weekend...

Those who do not want to play VG , its your choice and ur loss..not VG

Of course you're going to say that.  You currently play Vanguard, and you most likely have a max level toon (who doesn't notice the population problems as much) or you have a toon that has yet to hit 30 in which you wouldn't understand why people complain about the population. Even if that's not the case, given your dismissive tone, it's really hard to take you seriously in the face of the plethora of individuals who post reports that seem to contradict the rosy picture you have painted.

Telon is far larger than Azeroth, and WoW has thousands of players online at any given time.  Anything south of 1,000 players online for Vanguard is quite low considering the entire game was meant to revolve around the fact that you'd have all these different pockets of players who only ever visited specific regions of the game, hence setting up somewhat of a regional economy which crafters could travel through to sell their wares.  You might even argue that even Vanguard's initial population of around 250,000 was to small a number to sustain the world the way it was meant to be sustained.  Of course, you might blame there being too many servers at launch or simply unrealistic game design.  Either way, it's still difficult to enjoy Vanguard the way it was meant to be enjoyed.  Of course, this doesn't mean that you can't enjoy Vanguard, but some people (myself included) have trouble playing a game where they see so much wasted potential.

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Read the first five pages. Good stuff.

I started VG before launch; loved it initially; even with the massive bugs. Game has the best UI features of any MMO by far.

Vanguard has no staying power because it lacks two critical elements (1) exploration and (2) socialization.

The mindless quests that gave massive xp = everyone running around like zombies doing these simpleton quests...rather than taking the initiative to explore and converse with one another. One never has to wonder "what should I do today" because there is an endless backlog of simpleton quests. In fact, the quests are the ONLY practical way to level so everyone must do them. I went along with this charade for a month or two and then quit, never to return. Without exploration and socialization an MMO is doomed.

Other things pushing me away from the game:
    1. no bazaar - just one npc per city through which all goods were bought/sold.
    2. non D&D style classes (blood mage, etc....weird to me)
    3. vast world = empty world.
    4. translocators at the massive, desolate docks.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010

Originally posted by Arclan

Read the first five pages. Good stuff.

I started VG before launch; loved it initially; even with the massive bugs. The game has failed because it lacks two critical elements (1) exploration and (2) socialization.

The mindless quests that gave massive xp = everyone running around like zombies doing these simpleton quests...rather than taking the initiative to explore and converse with one another.

Other problems with the game (IMO):

1. no bazaar - just one npc per city through which all goods were bought/sold.

2. non D&D style classes (blood mage, etc....weird to me)

3. vast world = empty world.

4. translocators at the massive, desolate docks.

some of the things you list are actually pluses for me. For the record I rarely do the quests in the game.

I agree that a 'selling area' would be nice but other than games that don't use auction houses, most games have "one npc to sell things to you". Sometimes a few but not too many.

I love the non d&d classes as they show imagination. the disciple is great.

vast world = "a world". My biggest pet peeve with these games is that the developres try to fill every inch or account for every bit of space and it leaves the experience feeling like "a theme park".

I love that I can get lost in this game. I love that I can ride through an area and not be attacked by mobs every few feet.

I love that the entire game isn't filled with players "everywhere". I recall fighting some lizard beings in their ocean side village and looking out over the ocean at the sunset and trully feel like I was "lost in the world". Yet, I can go to a town and see people, interact, etc.

I'm unsure about your last sentence. i think you are bemoaning the teleporters? I can easily understand how some players would hate them but for me it's the difference between logging in to play and realizing it will take a long time to get somewhwere and I just don't have the time so I don't log in.

But again, in the end, you don't have to do the quests. At all. Oh sure you won't get the rewards but "meh" I find more pleasure running for my life while trying to explore an area too hard for me.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • NeikoNeiko Member UncommonPosts: 626

Originally posted by Sovrath

But again, in the end, you don't have to do the quests. At all. Oh sure you won't get the rewards but "meh" I find more pleasure running for my life while trying to explore an area too hard for me.

Too bad the "average" mmo player would go crazy at this situation. They would then proceed to rage and complain the game is too hard, and tell everyone not to play it. =/

• dazedconfusedazedconfuse Member Posts: 67
    405 today at 4pm.
  • lovebuglovebug Member UncommonPosts: 260

why dose sony not just make it open free to play for 1 mouth or 2. to get people back it sold well at release so theres alot of people got the game on a shelf.