Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Todd Howard not interested in Elder Scrolls MMO

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Ruinal

Morrowind was Bethesda's best imho. Whilst they haven't released anything horrible, like Bioware's DA:2 mess, they've not managed to recapture that experience. I really hope Skyrim isn't a further dumbing down of the franchise, but indications are not so good... that said I'll still be happy to pre-order and play the hell out of it.

An Elder Scrolls mmo I could take or leave. As others have pointed out, there really isn't anything that would really make it stand out from the existing mmo crowd in terms of lore, possible gameplay or setting.

No way. Daggerfall were better, the largest game I ever played.

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Originally posted by uohaloran

Originally posted by Corehaven

Originally posted by uohaloran

To be really fair, I don't think Bethesda could even handle multiplayer.  They're barely able to pull of single player anymore in my opinion.

In what possible way is this true?  Are you talking about Fallout New Vegas? 

Because that wasnt developed by Bethesda.  And I was kind of annoyed it wasnt.  If they are going to temporarily hand off the IP to another developer at least pick a more competent one.  Because that game was a buggy mess. 

Other Bethesda games have had their bugs, but not to that level.  I hope they dont do that again.  Bethesda should keep their IPs in house as far as Im concerned.  They did it to keep the Fallout franchise relevant while they worked on Skyrim, but if the game turns out to be a buggy mess then it sort of tarnishes the IP and its not worth it. 

Well it's my opinion.  I think almost everything save for aesthetics has been taking a wrong turn with each title and slowly opting in for an action game rather than what most would consider an RPG.

Also on an unrelated note since I wasn't talking about New Vegas, I thought New Vegas was a step up from Fallout 3 in every possible way -- something that I don't believe Bethesda has been able to say about their games in a long time (especially in the writing department). 

It's funny you mention that IPs should stay in house, though, since many of the guys at Obsidian have been involved with Fallout before Bethesda.  They seem a lot more qualified to handle the material than Bethesda.

Obsidian are notorious for their own games being buggy but again to be fair, Bethesda has always had pretty buggy games, too.  I don't know if you were around for the launch of Fallout 3 or Oblivion, but both of those games had a lot of very similar engine problems that you can also see in unpatched New Vegas.  While I'm not being an apologist for Obsidian, they weren't dealt a really good hand when it came to the short time frame they had to develop the game and the engine in which they were given.  I believe if Obsidian were given full work of the IP and realistic time constraints, then Bethesda could also focus their attention on their own series that I feel has been kind of neglected for a long time.

--

To be a little more on topic instead of just commenting, I don't think an Elder Scrolls MMO is the right thing to do right now but I do think that cooperative play is absolutely something that would benefit the series right now.  Essentially after you're done with the main quest you're just roaming.  I'd rather be roaming with a friend, I think.

Perhaps after dabbling into any form of multiplayer, Bethesda could then consider the idea of how an Elder Scrolls MMO would even work.  It's kind of the problem that I think Bioware was faced with -- they could've done so many interesting mechanics and systems with what they've done with their previous games, but I feel that they're kind of just slapping the themepark template onto their IP and taking the easy route out.  I just don't see how many KotOR fans would be very thrilled with how they've decided to take their game.

It's kind of funny that there is a common link between Bethesda and Bioware and that's Obsidian.  Perhaps Obsidian wont be nearly as freelance as they once were, though, considering how succesful New Vegas was for Bethesda and Zenimax.

Don't forget Star Trek Legacy, that was one buggy game.........and a piece of crap till the modding community got a hold of it......

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

Originally posted by Gabby-air

"I like this kind of game better," he said. "You know, it's what most of us are into. I'm not really an MMO guy. I respect them, I look at them, but I don't play them. It feels more real to me when I'm the hero and it's crafted for that. A community aspect to it, I recognize a lot of people would want that in a game like this, but it changes the flavor for me."

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/31/todd-howard-on-skyrims-worthwhile-glitches-mmos-and-when-big-i/

I guess that puts the rumours of a elder scrolls MMO in development to rest and since fallout MMO rights are with Interplay I'm guessing the MMO at work at Zenimax is going to be a new IP. 

I'd be perfectly happy if it was only possible to play a co-op game with a friend or two.  While I'd like an Elder Scrolls MMO, I also like being the main hero and not one of a crows of wannabe heroes.  I'm getting tired of games where, as in LotRO, places which were eerie and deserted in the book, such as the Barrowdowns, are crammed so full of players running around it's like a shopping mall.  It ruins the immersion when you have to run about trying to grab a Wight before the next guy!  Another game I love, but which would be ruined by being made into an MMO would be The Witcher.

As an aside, a week ago I started playing Oblivion again after a gap of a few years and was blown away all over again.  The mods for the game are incredible (just Google the Youtube video of the mod called Highwood) and new mods are released every day, keeping the game permanently fresh.  The Nature Overhaul mod really improves the "everything is shades of brown" original graphics, too.  I can't praise this game highly enough.

• Nerf09Nerf09 Member CommonPosts: 2,953

Don't need an elder scrolls MMO, someone just needs to copy the left mouse shield/right mouse swing concept.  Yes folks, non-autolock can work in fantasy too; with melee characters to boot.

• VenekorVenekor Member Posts: 62

That's good and I agree with him, Elder Scrolls should stay what it is, like what KOTOR should have done.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

I played Morrowind and Oblivion so far.

There are differences - but overall I would say its pretty much the same game.

Oblivion overdid the part with the leveling of mobs though. Bandits in best armor of the game are an obvious target for jokes.

I read rumors that Skyrim does some pretty drastic changes in the rulesystem. We'll see.

Originally posted by Nerf09

Don't need an elder scrolls MMO, someone just needs to copy the left mouse shield/right mouse swing concept.  Yes folks, non-autolock can work in fantasy too; with melee characters to boot.

Err ... WHO cares for THAT one ... ???

• KalferKalfer Member Posts: 779

do not want elder scrolls mmo. New MMO experiences please.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

But they are talking about Skyrim and why it doesnt have an online or mmo component, that doesnt mean that in another studio owned by bethesda or zenimax (parent company) it may be an elder scrolls MMO in development.

With all the growing Skyrim has done and will continue to do in DLC, it seems that Bethesda has omitted the most obvious opportunity for evolution: An online component. We asked Howard why Dovahkiin is a lone wanderer in a gaming industry that seems to be increasingly obsessed with finding a foothold in the MMO market.

Originally posted by Venekor

That's good and I agree with him, Elder Scrolls should stay what it is, like what KOTOR should have done.

This statement makes no sense whatsoever.

KotOR was a short series of two games that was long dead years ago.  KotOR1 was created by Bioware, Canada. KotOR2 was created by Obsidiant Entertainment. Neither of these companies has any control over the question if KotOR3 is produced.

TOR has, at best, a certain similarity in the name. As a game, its completely different. The company that creates it is a THIRD company, Bioware Austin.

The only true link between KotOR1+KotOR2 and the new TOR is Lucas Arts and the Star Wars setting. But there are tons of Star Wars games out there.

So yeah, what the hell are you talking about. Its like saying that Dungeons and Dragons Online killed Baldurs Gate 3. Nope, thats not what happened.

• 4getting20094getting2009 Member UncommonPosts: 178

Originally posted by Hicks2006

i agree TES was a fantastic series i only just got morrowind and im loving it. Oblivion is amazing too though i dont like the fast travel idea. I have skyrim preordered and im totally excited.

Now one thing i would have liked is if oblivion support a minor multiplayer. not like team deathmatch or arena and stuff no no just like a local lan game or internet where two players can join together and play the campaign together. Me and my best friend would have loved it if that were possible. but thats just me and him. We like doing coop no matter the game. If coop is available.

DaggerFall was the first. Might want to give it a try. Buggy as all hell though.

• LordKyellanLordKyellan Member Posts: 160

Originally posted by 4getting2009

Originally posted by Hicks2006

i agree TES was a fantastic series i only just got morrowind and im loving it. Oblivion is amazing too though i dont like the fast travel idea. I have skyrim preordered and im totally excited.

Now one thing i would have liked is if oblivion support a minor multiplayer. not like team deathmatch or arena and stuff no no just like a local lan game or internet where two players can join together and play the campaign together. Me and my best friend would have loved it if that were possible. but thats just me and him. We like doing coop no matter the game. If coop is available.

DaggerFall was the first. Might want to give it a try. Buggy as all hell though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elder_Scrolls:_Arena

Good luck finding a playable copy, though.

--------

"Give a man a fire, and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he is warm for the rest of his life."

• SagasaintSagasaint Member UncommonPosts: 466

I agree with the good old Todd, Im not interested in a TES MMO either.

neither in the offline ones since Daggerfall, to be honest...

• 4getting20094getting2009 Member UncommonPosts: 178

Originally posted by Adamantine

Originally posted by Venekor

This statement makes no sense whatsoever.

KotOR was a short series of two games that was long dead years ago.  KotOR1 was created by Bioware, Canada. KotOR2 was created by Obsidiant Entertainment. Neither of these companies has any control over the question if KotOR3 is produced.

TOR has, at best, a certain similarity in the name. As a game, its completely different. The company that creates it is a THIRD company, Bioware Austin.

The only true link between KotOR1+KotOR2 and the new TOR is Lucas Arts and the Star Wars setting. But there are tons of Star Wars games out there.

So yeah, what the hell are you talking about. Its like saying that Dungeons and Dragons Online killed Baldurs Gate 3. Nope, thats not what happened.

You would be wrong on the point of  real connections. You realise Revan, Malgus, and the descendants of Bastilla (and possibly Revan)  Are all driving plot points in TOR right? This is KOTOR Online. KOTOR 3 is extremely unlikely. While developed by different bodies they are all portraying the same continuity. (KOTOR1 > TOR being the strongest link). Lucas Arts will decide if KOTOR 3 is produced.

Also of Note:

Obisdian Entertainment (formerly Black Isle Entertainment) has a history on working with Bioware's engines (Icewindale using the Baldur's Gate Engine)

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

I like the idea of co-op people brought up, to be honest I only recently played oblivion and wasn't a huge fan but I respect the game for what it is and if I perhaps had a couple of my friends with me with content tailored for co-op I think the game will be a lot more fun. I mean these games are huge and people spend lots of time in them developing their characters and it just feels lonely, if you have people to run some dungeons with or maybe hunt some dragons in skyrim that would be huge. 

• tochicooltochicool Member Posts: 153

*Cries*

*Goes back to playing Allods*

FEEL THE FULL
    FREE-TO-FLAME
    FANTASY.

• SkeeterxiSkeeterxi Member Posts: 265

I don't think it should be an MMO but I would absolutely love an online mode that would allow you to play and explore with a friend. I would also want it to scale to be more challenging with multiple people.

• DiovidiusDiovidius Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Creating a TES game with a huge persistent world and first person action combat (as well as all the non-combat options of TES games) is impossible at this point. Perhaps in the near future a TES game set up similar to GW1 is more feasible with persistent towns and a big instanced world. On the long term however, when technology and internet speeds have increased I have no doubt that we will see a truely persistent online TES game.

• demongoatdemongoat Member UncommonPosts: 68

good! i'm glad he thinks that way, turning tes into an mmo would kill it as anything else. why bother with single player games when you can make an mmo and print money, no need for writing anything deeper than fedex quests and raiding, just churn out the same tired crap over and over again.

no thanks!, even if skyrim isn't shakespeare, it is still better than any of the junk most mmos come out with by miles.  shoot who wants to be a number in a line to a quest mob over being a hero saving the world?

not me lol.

• demongoatdemongoat Member UncommonPosts: 68

Originally posted by Skeeterxi

I don't think it should be an MMO but I would absolutely love an online mode that would allow you to play and explore with a friend. I would also want it to scale to be more challenging with multiple people.

lol oblivion has a plugin you can get that claims to do this.

never tried it though.

• honourswordhonoursword Member UncommonPosts: 82

I think I disagree with practically everyone on this thread. I think an Elder Scrolls MMO would be absolutely awesome if done correctly. It could be a truelly great Theme Park/Sandbox hybrid with freedom to go about the cities and country side at will. It could be a totally seperate storyline from the single player game and I think with the right amount of resources, time and careful planning they could make a truelly awesome game.

I don't know why everyone is so against it, odds are Bethesda would still make the single player game and Zeni Max online would do the MMORPG. You don't want to play the latter, don't play it. Just keep playing the single player game and ignore the MMO.

Part of me isn't convinced either. I still think this maybe something Zeni Max Online is still working on especially as they have recently bought theelderscrollsonline dotcom.

I guess we shall see.

• twstdstrangetwstdstrange Member Posts: 474

I see this as good news, myself.

TES has only been, in my mind, a single player experience. Putting it in an MMO setting with greifers, trolls, little children running about, elitists - - the whole player community spectrum, good and bad - -  would really spoil the atmosphere that TES gives me.

Want TES online? Play Fallout Online as a melee character! :D /shrug

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

The world of TES would make for a good MMO setting IMO.. The scale of the world is really being lost on SP games.

And there is still that game out there being made by Matt Firor and Zenimax.. Though that may be a Fallout MMO considering how all the whining going on about the license.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Elder Scrolls is not MMO material it should stay solo becouse its one of best solo rpg series ever created sinds 1994.

I never was a fan of TES  hoping it would become a MMO.  Let bethesda make solo games thats what they can make best.

Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind Forever number ONE!!!

From Elder Scrolls Fan!

Originally posted by honoursword

I don't know why everyone is so against it, [...]

Because I cant play many singleplayer games, but only ONE MMO.

So yeah, I prefer it if MMOs are kind of, well, special. To me, TES is a very generic fantasy setting that has no specific advantage over any other fantasy setting. And the idea of having a ruleset like the one of TES in a MMO is a nightmare to me.

• SkeeterxiSkeeterxi Member Posts: 265

Elder Scrolls has a huge mod community, maybe if they decided to delve into the online world they could just create a non typical MMO.  Let the community host their own servers and create their own rule sets and what not. People could host their own private servers for their friends and guilds. MMO probably wouldn't be the right word for a game like that.