Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pay to Win... welcome to UWO

cagancagan Member UncommonPosts: 445

Well i am back playing LOTRO, but once in a while I log to UWO to check out the situation...

I go online, i depart port with my pirate ship to kill some player trade ships and maybe capture some loot. I see a clipper (a big trade ship) leaving port and his multies (same computer multiple accounts or multiple family computers 1 person playing) following right behind. As soon as I approach to attack him he raises a blue flag (CASH SHOP ITEM _ CANNOT BE ATTACKED BY PIRATES).

So I say screw it and go back to port, in the port he changes his ship to CASH SHOP SHIP- a ship only compared to the most powerful ship in the game, actually it is the most powerful ship in the game. The downside of that massive warship is...it is slow as hell, and no way he can catch up to my little fast pirate ship...WRONG!!!

This is where he pops up his 50% CASH SHOP SPEED BOOST item...so he catches up to me and sinks me with his cannons.

As I mentioned in my previous post all the good people have left this game, only asian grinders and people who pay money remain, I do pay for LOTRO to support the game even though its free, there are not any PAY TO WIN items in the game in LOTRO cash shop. This game had great prospects, now its dead for me...

Do i suggest you try this game? NO!  You will only be frustrated in the end, I sugegst pay your money and go play EVE, or try LOTRO if you are looking for smthg free...

Comments

• Castlead1z1Castlead1z1 Member UncommonPosts: 100

To be briefe on this one...all cash shops should be like LOTRO, as it dosnt imbalance the game what so ever ;)

• cagancagan Member UncommonPosts: 445

I just found this thread on another forum showing another players frustration :

Im ready to give you everything i have in UWO, honestly that game fails so hard.

Its all about milking money from players while their support team do almost nothing and i wasted months on that bullsh** to be a not even decent player amongst the thousands asian multiboxers, macro users and other kind of cheaters.

The control system makes the game almost unplayable for maritime players, bugged quickslots, very bad and boring combat mechanics, no real pvp and no pvp events at all.

UWO dont have superiour economy, not even close to it, its just a simple grind your skill proficiency by producing 5000 piece from x item, doing the same sh*t for hours and days, its just some extra grinding nothing more since most of the items barely needs more than 2 raw materials to build, and shipbuilding dont even need any materials just x amount of money and wait for like 5-25mins.

About shipbuilding.. its a skill what you can grind up to rank15 in 3 months of "playing" (sitting afk outside a port) 24/7 and then you can start selling your high level ships otherwise ppl will simply dont buy your trash.

Its good to mention the pay to win cash shop, you can get a ship of the line on lvl17 equal with the lvl54 non-cash shop version and dont even talk about the 50mil investment notes.. terrible joke...

After months of playing its nothing more just a huge grinding for hmm nothing in the end.

Sure you can get all your skills to rank15 being a robot or cheating like the asians but still you will end up you grinded for nothing because the game completely lacks of any end game content.

Good luck for it and msg me..

• VetarniasVetarnias Member UncommonPosts: 630

You just have to look at the official forum to see what's going on -- or, rather, what's not going on. That forum has died. All the old timers have stopped posting, and, apart from that, you just get newbie questions on minor points (like the Panama Canal and so on).

That post you reprinted makes one particularly good point: what bothers me so much about UWO now is the time I've wasted playing it, time I could have spent in other games, reading the pile of books next to my bed, trying to find a better job, whatever. That's where this game is particularly evil.

• NortonGBNortonGB Member UncommonPosts: 279

Originally posted by Vetarnias

You just have to look at the official forum to see what's going on -- or, rather, what's not going on. That forum has died. All the old timers have stopped posting, and, apart from that, you just get newbie questions on minor points (like the Panama Canal and so on).

That post you reprinted makes one particularly good point: what bothers me so much about UWO now is the time I've wasted playing it, time I could have spent in other games, reading the pile of books next to my bed, trying to find a better job, whatever. That's where this game is particularly evil.

I'm still in there posting Vetarnias, some good stuff in the Panama thread lol

Looks like that Galanet gpotato have been sniffing around there is a channelling patch for them today.

Galla-Net Channeling Implementation

- Newbie Sailor's Event

New players also get x2 exp for a month

Come on in & join in the fun :)

What a coincidence, new players get x2 XP event and the only 1 server is getting deserted. I was in Seville a few dasys ago and there were only 4 ppl in there. (except the bazaar afk people)

For people that dont know, think of Vanilla WOW back in the day and having the major quest/trade hub Ironforge having only 4 people in it.

Netmarble realized what they did, they are trying to fix it but too late...

Having a race event and then sell 50% speed boost in cash shop?

In a trade game where making millions takes hours sell 1 BILLION in a cash shop?

In a PVP world, sell a PERMA ESCAPE FROM PVP item? (you can keep buying every day from cash shop)

they became too greedy and loyal playerbase already left.

I logged in earlier today (late evening in Eastern North America), to see if anyone I knew in the company was still logging in. There were maybe 4 people online.

I was in Marseilles. Just out of curiosity, I checked the top investors' list: the #1 investor had put in 5.8 billion, with #2 having a more modest 3 billion.

I sailed to Genoa. France had fallen to 6% influence, tied for last place with Portugal. Even the Dutch, who don't control a single town closer than their homeland, beat us by one point.

Then I looked at the map. Cochin was still English. Zanzibar was still English. They also took Benin from us. I heard they were moving in against Mozambique, which was our company's pet project in December; it's still French, but for how long?

The only evidence I see of active French people is the company contributions level, but they could be multis, or they might do what I do these days: log in just to contribute and do nothing else. But anyway, at the time we couldn't really compete against other nations because of the population imbalance; now we can just sit and see our last allied towns being taken away by bond flippers.

I don't really know about other countries, but the English seem to be doing rather well with their bought merit, and the Dutch cheaters still seem to hang in there somewhat. Venice, too, has taken advantage of the French vacuum to take over the Med. The others, I don't even know. France has been dead since February, no surprise there, but now Portugal seems to be a goner (their retaking Calicut was probably their swan song), and I'm not sure if Spain isn't close behind them.

At any rate, I want to echo what cagan is saying: I don't care anymore. To care about this game is to be self-destructive; it has no future. It's something I've been trying to tell Norton for quite a while: move on, the show's over.

Originally posted by cagan

What a coincidence, new players get x2 XP event and the only 1 server is getting deserted. I was in Seville a few dasys ago and there were only 4 ppl in there. (except the bazaar afk people)

For people that dont know, think of Vanilla WOW back in the day and having the major quest/trade hub Ironforge having only 4 people in it.

Netmarble realized what they did, they are trying to fix it but too late...

Having a race event and then sell 50% speed boost in cash shop?

In a trade game where making millions takes hours sell 1 BILLION in a cash shop?

In a PVP world, sell a PERMA ESCAPE FROM PVP item? (you can keep buying every day from cash shop)

they became too greedy and loyal playerbase already left.

The Investment effects

Top investor benefits:

• 1St place: development + 5000, tariff reduction 10%

• 2Nd place: development + 4000, tariff reduction 8%

• 3Rd place: development + 3000, tariffs 6% reduction

• 4Th place: development + 2000, tariff 4% reduction

• 5Th place: development + 1000, tariff exemption from 2%

Nothing gamebreaking here, bonds do not add to regular inflation.

- Rise in trade fame.

- Improved social knight ranks with titles.

- Special items will be available to top investors.

- Investing above a certain amount of money will get the user a special gift.

- There are items like recipe books that are only available after making an investment. (link to insert)

< Colonial Village effect> 

- The village's development level increases.

When it reaches a certain point new items will appear in markets, item ships, and craft shops.

- The influence of the user's native country over the invested village grows larger.

In the case of neutral ports, the country with the most influence becomes the ally. But when the ally port's influence

exceeds 50% the other influences decrease naturally.

Ref: Full Development by donation Guide

As you can see the above is an illustration from a UWO guide Full post here.

There is still much fun in buying low in one port then selling for a profit in another, that alone makes trading still a top worthwhile feature in UWO.

I'm listening Vetarnias, Netmarble is learning the hard way, let's find out what Galanet is doing with UWO.

It's not too late, there is still wind or content enough for UWO global to make a full recovery.

NEWSFLASH!

netmarble joins with Gpotato, for people new to F2P games,

Gpotato is notrious for overpowered cash items and also the company who destroyed allods online and is known for being notoriously greedy and their horrible customer service.

My suggestion is stay away from UWO, if u want a good F2P game I would suggest LOTRO, DDO and World of tanks...

In other news Fallen earth is going to be F2P here is our chance to try it out

NEWSFLASH!

My suggestion is stay away from UWO, if u want a good F2P game I would suggest LOTRO, DDO and World of tanks...

Then kindly take your own advice.

Bye!

• LacertaLacerta Member Posts: 40

I just started playing UWO few weeks ago. Many of your points about cons of f2p are valid, but saying UWO is dead and no ppl are playing it, is just not true.  There are ppl in all cities, and great activity in school-chat. In fact so many ppl are playing, that many times I can't log in to school-chat, cuz of chatroom-limit. And I don't see any ships in item-shop. I guess ther removed it.

Originally posted by Lacerta

I just started playing UWO few weeks ago. Many of your points about cons of f2p are valid, but saying UWO is dead and no ppl are playing it, is just not true.  There are ppl in all cities, and great activity in school-chat. In fact so many ppl are playing, that many times I can't log in to school-chat, cuz of chatroom-limit. And I don't see any ships in item-shop. I guess ther removed it.

It is fun for the first few weeks where you are not competing against cash shop people. And school chat is always full thanx to newcomers like you but few make it to  lvl 40+ ships. And yes they are still selling ships in their cash ticket lottery, last week it was the Vasilleau, this week its the turkish galley and who knows what next week...

If you are enjoing the game, great. But just be warned its gonna get ugly at high levels... (unless you are planning to dump your money in this game, also POTBS is now going F2P)

It is fun for the first few weeks where you are not competing against cash shop people. And school chat is always full thanx to newcomers like you but few make it to  lvl 40+ ships. And yes they are still selling ships in their cash ticket lottery, last week it was the Vasilleau, this week its the turkish galley and who knows what next week...

If you are enjoing the game, great. But just be warned its gonna get ugly at high levels... (unless you are planning to dump your money in this game, also POTBS is now going F2P)

Thanks for the plug cagan, the good, bad & the UGLY! sounds great to me.

There are a lot of things to experience in UWO, it is truly a fantastic voyage of adventure!

Yes be warned you should all give it a try. :)

• KanoRainKanoRain Member Posts: 94

I just registered to point out.. POTBS has been free to play for a long time now, and without the 14.99 sub MicroTransactions are 100% required to be competitive at even the slightest level.

Originally posted by Deleted User

So much of the game is centered around forced grouping that soloing is not an option, major design flaw in my opinion.

^
    ^lol

• DismantledDismantled Member UncommonPosts: 121

You can easily play PoTBS without spending a dime of real money. In fact you can easily buy burning sea notes on the ingame auction house for pretty cheap and use those to buy stuff from the cash shop. Most people just pay for one month and then cancel so you get pretty much everything you'd ever want for a one time $15 purchase.

As far as UWO goes. I waited for years for it to come to america and when the beta started I thought i had finally found the game I'd always wanted. Sadly it was just a bland and boring shadow of the old console games. I left for PoTBS not long after UWO launched and from everything I've seen and read I'm glad I did. 

Well, I was just visiting the UWO site seeing if they fixed the game and removed someof the pay2win cash items...

Seems things got worse, when I quit they were removing investment bonds which destroyed the game and made many ppl quit, and they realized their mistake and removing the item....

guess what was on the website:

Greetings UWO Fans!

To assist you with the ongoing Investment War event, we present to you promotional prices for the following Special Investment Bonds!

These items enable special investments with a specific value for each bond.

Promotion Period:

August 24th to August 31st maintenance.

Special Investment Bond:

2,190 NC → 1,700 NC

Special Pricey Investment Bond 

12,900 NC →  9,900 NC

Special Jumbo Investment Bond

6,900 NC → 5,300 NC

Oh well, at least I know which direction they chose to go to...what a shame for once a great prospect...

• wrongfeifongwrongfeifong Member CommonPosts: 405

Couldn't sleep so i look around while UWO is down.

But i can't agree with the OP or any of the people down this thread.

First of all, you don't pay to win get your fact straight.

1. 50% speed boost does not work in battle nor in fleet (at least the single one) He catch you is another thing, you are a pirate you expect to get caught. and pay for the consequences.

2. MFCV, MAV or CTG are slow as hell as mention, they are NOT only available to people who pay NC. I have all 3 ships and i never once won a premium ticket. I bought them with ducats.

3. Losing to a MFCV is pretty given since you are ROBBING which mean you don't have ARMOR. 

4. MFCV on a level 20 doesn't mean it is the most powerful ship, the most power ship before the upgrade of custom SB is STILL VASSEAU.   MFCV is a good ship but i can sail around circle and crit it like crazy

5. You are a low level pirate enough said. Don't expect to win them all, i can beat you in a clipper.

6. Skill is the most important factor here, i beat people around my 60 sailors clippers killing 150-168 crews ship and losing only 5-10 crew because i have high skill. Not because i pay NC to get my skill.

my leader is 56/65/65 and he didn't pay a cent on cash shop and he still win and terrorize people.

Where you get the idea that higher level require more money spend? Compare to the japanese server, their EXP gain/skill gain rate is same as this server without NC items. 

get your facts straight.

All i can say is this game is amazing, of course, you are pretty low level judging how you bash it. Trying to rob some high level indeed is your mistake. 

none

Originally posted by wrongfeifong

Couldn't sleep so i look around while UWO is down.

But i can't agree with the OP or any of the people down this thread.

First of all, you don't pay to win get your fact straight.

1. 50% speed boost does not work in battle nor in fleet (at least the single one) He catch you is another thing, you are a pirate you expect to get caught. and pay for the consequences.

2. MFCV, MAV or CTG are slow as hell as mention, they are NOT only available to people who pay NC. I have all 3 ships and i never once won a premium ticket. I bought them with ducats.

3. Losing to a MFCV is pretty given since you are ROBBING which mean you don't have ARMOR. 

4. MFCV on a level 20 doesn't mean it is the most powerful ship, the most power ship before the upgrade of custom SB is STILL VASSEAU.   MFCV is a good ship but i can sail around circle and crit it like crazy

5. You are a low level pirate enough said. Don't expect to win them all, i can beat you in a clipper.

6. Skill is the most important factor here, i beat people around my 60 sailors clippers killing 150-168 crews ship and losing only 5-10 crew because i have high skill. Not because i pay NC to get my skill.

my leader is 56/65/65 and he didn't pay a cent on cash shop and he still win and terrorize people.

Where you get the idea that higher level require more money spend? Compare to the japanese server, their EXP gain/skill gain rate is same as this server without NC items. 

get your facts straight.

All i can say is this game is amazing, of course, you are pretty low level judging how you bash it. Trying to rob some high level indeed is your mistake. 

Nice post but within a day or two you have changed your mind from your post below?

The following are your own words:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now the game became truly a pay to win game

image var objRating = new ForumRating(9247, 4.0, false); objRating.onRating = doRating; objRating.render(); //print rating star function doRating(e) { var isLoggedIn = true; if (!isLoggedIn) { NMMessageBox("function", "Please Login", "To access the service you requested, you must first log in.", "gotoLogin()"); } else { _saveRating(currentForum.forumID, e); } } function gotoLogin() { location.href="http://global.netmarble.com/login/?r_url=http://global.netmarble.com/forum/Forum/ForumPostListView.asp?fid=34&tid=9247&st=1&pg=1&ipg=1&kwd=&sop=1&tm=3&pid=&quot;; } imageimageimageimageimage 4.0 | by wrongfeifong on Sep 01, 2011 05:05 AM

The moment i heard from company members that shipbuilding improve permit are not trade-able. I  am disappointed.

Considering now only those who can win Improve permit are the real winners here where they can improve their ship beyond a certain degree in power and sailing power also increase cargo (by 5% each improvement).

Not only that but the rate of getting 1 4x improve permit is roughly 2/15 according to a member who purchased the premium ticket.

There is no hope for this game on international server when players realize that they can never beat someone who pay a lot to upgrade their ship to 5-6 stars (which require 3+6+9+12+15 permits total for 6 star).

where these ships will have full 3 skill (include original skill) and  +100 +100 sail speed + 20 turn speed +20 wave resist +20 gun port ...etc and worse part is improvement can 'fail'.

Please at least make improve ship building permit and other shipbuilding related items 'tradeable' and purchasable down the NC shop directly, i am not paying 400 bucks (to get enough improvement permit)  to get a 6 star first class vasseau here to win here..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How can anyone now take what you say seriously? 

Netmarble now appear to only exploit those few that are prepared to gamble with their cash shop premium tickets

For this reason I have stopped playing.

• Cpt_PicardCpt_Picard Member Posts: 300

Just a comment on POTBS, a person who has payed for a single month can compete just as well as the next player whom is currently subbed, and nothing in the "Treasure Isle" appears to any advantages at all in pvp, to do so would entirely skewer the game's 4v4 RVR system and the company knows it.

Make it so...

Originally posted by Cpt_Picard

Just a comment on POTBS, a person who has payed for a single month can compete just as well as the next player whom is currently subbed, and nothing in the "Treasure Isle" appears to any advantages at all in pvp, to do so would entirely skewer the game's 4v4 RVR system and the company knows it.

I agree the Potbs cash shop implementation is much improved however Potbs PVP players can easily block the key routes that many traders & mechants like to use by creating red zones leading to too much ganking of players that have no means to defend themselves. This in turn limits the size of popultion growth being mainly a PVP game that only appeals to those who like to pick on others.

Just to clear, I am not some low lvl attacking high lvl. When I left I think I was 38/54/46. I got my clipper and my turkish galley. I know you cannot use the speed boost in combat, they use it to GET INTO combat. Not to mention %50 speed changes the whole trade aspect of the game.

I dont know about the shipbuilding changes but I saw in forums many ppl are complaining. Looks like they are milking the cow. Then again its not the worst milk the cow game out there. The award goes to Age of Empires Online!

I dont know about the shipbuilding changes but I saw in forums many ppl are complaining. Looks like they are milking the cow. Then again its not the worst milk the cow game out there. The award goes to Age of Empires Online!

I wonder how much more time Netmarble need and how many players will leave before they realise that making the ship permits an exclusive premium ticket item was a simple mistake.

Theye is an alternative way to obtain them in-game but not until east asia is released.

In my opinion it would pay them to make a public apology and remove them immediately until east asia is released but it seems they do not have a way to do it with less staff assigned to UWO than they have for mini-fighter.

They were unable to support their own self appointed GA's so I'm not very confident. UWO global needs a lot of changes, what makes me sad is that most are easy to do but there appears to be no simple Nm/Koei mechanism in place to get them done.

• MMOtoGOMMOtoGO Member Posts: 630

Well i am back playing LOTRO, but once in a while I log to UWO to check out the situation...

I go online, i depart port with my pirate ship to kill some player trade ships and maybe capture some loot. I see a clipper (a big trade ship) leaving port and his multies (same computer multiple accounts or multiple family computers 1 person playing) following right behind. As soon as I approach to attack him he raises a blue flag (CASH SHOP ITEM _ CANNOT BE ATTACKED BY PIRATES).

So I say screw it and go back to port, in the port he changes his ship to CASH SHOP SHIP- a ship only compared to the most powerful ship in the game, actually it is the most powerful ship in the game. The downside of that massive warship is...it is slow as hell, and no way he can catch up to my little fast pirate ship...WRONG!!!

This is where he pops up his 50% CASH SHOP SPEED BOOST item...so he catches up to me and sinks me with his cannons.

As I mentioned in my previous post all the good people have left this game, only asian grinders and people who pay money remain, I do pay for LOTRO to support the game even though its free, there are not any PAY TO WIN items in the game in LOTRO cash shop. This game had great prospects, now its dead for me...

Do i suggest you try this game? NO!  You will only be frustrated in the end, I sugegst pay your money and go play EVE, or try LOTRO if you are looking for smthg free...

Are these items obtainable outside of the cash shop? 

Nope... speedboosts, ship permits (the new ones) and immune to pirate attacks items are only cash shop (oh also the investment tickets- the reason i left the game). I believe they give away a few as prizes for contests, like sailing around the world, for which you have to buy the speed boost from the cash shop anyways

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361

Please don't take this post the wrong way. It's not an attack on anyone. I really actually don't care what people believe in politics.

Anyways...

Over the years I've come to the realization that these MMO developers are just a bunch of greedy Republicans who just can't get enough money in their fat Pulsaty hands, Sitting at a desk somewhere, some nappy looking Mother-eFFer who's 60 pounds overweight, stuffing their faces with a big fat cheese burger and eating bon-bons. And at the end of the day collecting money off a bunch of moronic gamers who actually fork out hundreds of dollars just to be #1 in some video games that most of the world dosn't even care about.

It makes me sick

*This outburst was brought to you by that Trashy Trash*

:P

I doubt very much that they have a Republican Party in Japan or South Korea...