Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aion: Ripper Gets His Wings

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

"Look, Daddy! Teacher says whenever a bell rings, an angel gets his wings!" said Zuzu in "It's a Wonderful Life". In his latest First Impressions video, MMORPG.com's Ripper X takes a look at Aion, the world of the Elyos and the Asmodian and not just incidentally, gets his wings too! Treat yourself to Aion: Ripper Gets His Wings.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

rofl... each to their own and all that Ripper, but your character is a beast :P

I actually like this game though tbh. It's not perfect, but far far better then more fashionable tradtional themepark games out there right now.

• TbagginzTbagginz Member Posts: 15

Why you always doing first impression videos for old ass games people already know about?

People wanna here about and see video of new games dude. Or games that are under our normal radar even. No offense bro! just sayin!

• GoobGoob Member Posts: 398

Your voice is really annoying, and seeing the character creation, and levels 1 and 2 isn't really all  that valuable. Useful when the game came out, perhaps... but not 2 years later.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by Goob

Your voice is really annoying, and seeing the character creation, and levels 1 and 2 isn't really all  that valuable. Useful when the game came out, perhaps... but not 2 years later.

I Don't find these vids very useful, but Ripper does make me chuckle. I think it's maybe the way he dosent take himself too seriously.

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689

What is up with his voice? Who talks like that?

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• augustgraceaugustgrace Member UncommonPosts: 628

I have to agree, I don't find these videos funny or informative.

Rather than doing "reviews" of games that have been around, try making videos of games most people haven't heard of.  There are a large number of small sub based games or f2p games that could benefit far more from being highlighted. 

Failing that try coming at these videos from a different slant.  Instead of doing an extremely poor "review" of a game, do videos exploring the systems of games, or reviewing what work and what failed.  Doing this would create a conversation about what each game does right and give future devs feedback on systems they might not have otherwise considered.  For example I like the bloodlines system that was outlined for Realms of Chaos of whatever it was called, the romanian game fronted by Egomancer. 

Many people feel as though modern mmorpgs are moving backwards, a discussion about what works and doesn't, and what we would like to see, would benefit the genre far far more than these "reviews" do.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

Agreed that at this point in time this video is utterly useless.  It's more of something a random fan would want to do with an old game just for fun, or perhaps practice at making videos and using a synthesized voice.  Maybe something someone would publish on his own youtube channel for kicks, but certainly not something that should be used as a source of info in anything resembling professional media.   Even if this exact video were made during Aion's beta phase, its usefulness would have been limited as it doesn't really show much of anything.  He cycled through 2 or 3 randomized characters and began the game, completely ignoring any of the details of what is widely accepted as the most robust MMO character creation tool.  He then walked around and did a few of the most basic quests while he conversed with his self-proclaimed "rival," the tutorial narrator.  

Since it cannot be denied that there is little to no information to be gained from this video, especially since it only covers content that has been out for years and can easily be accessed by anyone for free, its value must lie purely in its ability to entertain.  The narrator seems to be trying to mimic the TotalBiscuit sneak-peek, walk-along exploratory adventure style vidoes he does with games that are in pre-release stages, except TotalBiscuit's are more relevant, informative, and entertaining.  This guy isn't exactly boring, but if the video has no information value whatsoever, he's better off doing some sort of all out comical spoof.  Really work on making it funny.  

With practice, I think he has the potential to do solid, entertaining, sneak-peak videos (he'd certainly be better at it than I ever would).  But a project like this in its current state is something that's best left as a personal endeavor for fun, not to be shared with others.  

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

This video could have been titled, "Ripper begins his tedious grind, and gets ganked a few hundred times in the abyss."  Pretty much Aion in a nutshell.

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

Originally posted by Biggus99

This video could have been titled, "Ripper begins his tedious grind, and gets ganked a few hundred times in the abyss."  Pretty much Aion in a nutshell.

I lol'd

• ammoniteammonite Member Posts: 113

I's so glad I gave Aion a miss; did they just copy all the other asian grinders?

• Hey, Ripper's vid kindled my interest (yes I haven't played the game) but the oh so common sour comments brought me back to reality so I'll skip it. If you Aion players (or ex players) meant to accomplish that then good job!

• MacroHardMacroHard Member Posts: 104

even though the vid seems to be missing here, I enjoy all of Ripper's commentaries that I've seen/heard thus far.  Makes me laugh.  I don't want a serious 12 year old with limited communication skills introducing me to anything. period.