Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What will Blizzard do?

Comments

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

Originally posted by kalinis

i saw an interview where they stated they want to update there systems in wow but its more complicated then u think

what with working with whats already ther and that cata gave them a nice start but they have a ways they still wanna go. 

so i dont think any of the things i mention will be because of tor but because of what is happening in wow itself .

as for there non mmos those are instant number 1 sellers so they are set there.

as for the mmo wows systems are outdated and they know it.

Seriously, I don't think its that complicated for Blizz. Its just all about timing.

Once the subs bleeding badly then they will pump out all the stuff they said its hard to do.

Clearly Blizz don't want their customers to have everything on one expansion.

They need to milk them for a few expansions more.

Blizz might have work on a new system on WOW 3rd year just like Arenanet.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• LisXiaLisXia Member Posts: 390

Originally posted by C0MA

Originally posted by LisXia

Titan becomes Star Craft Online and 50 million people forget what SWTOR is.

Titan is not starcraft, that is what we are told, so far.

TERA Online used to be in development as Lineage 3

Moral of the story is things change. If Swtor really did beat up WoW, they might do what needs to be done and what everyone wants and launch Starcraft Online.

Yes understand, everything is possible.

I doubt that will happen though.  Blizzard is not yet in a position so desperate, and it will take quite a big reverse in fortune to get them there.  They only leaked the news of Titan, they might have Starcraft online well into beta and we might never know, till they decide to leak some news.  So that is why I said, ... that is what we are told, so far.  It is not necessarily the whole truth.  I do not read crystal balls.  I only read forums.  :-P

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Perhaps they open up D3's beta.

• ShredderSEShredderSE Member Posts: 197

Blizzard will LOL at the fail. "+300 mil $ on this baa ha ha ha ha" they say.

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

blizz con in october should get news on d3 beta, and get news on wow next expac. That wont keep players out of tor. 

its a star wars mmo people with bioware story. thats all i have to know to play it and im betting there are more people like me who dont mind how wow plays as a game that wont mind if the combat and ui are familar or same old same old

put bioware story into wow and wow wouldnt be bleeding subs theyd be gaining them. with the full vo and companions and choice bioware has something that is unique and isnt being done in mmos

dont give me aoc tortage thats not even in the same ballpark as mass effect and dragon age if mass effect and dragon age stories are the majors or nfl then aoc/s tortage is little league its that big a diffrence in skill and in how much better quality the story is in bioware games then aoc.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

For everyone talking about blizzard 'bleeding subs'...

In Quarter 2 they were down less than 3% of subs.

Show me an MMO, besides AoC, that was not down 3% subs in Q2 2011.

Its just big news because its never happened to wow before.  Its not like WoW's servers are going low pop.  The only low pop servers are PvP ones, and there have ALWAYS been low pop PvP servers.

They released a bad expansion.  It happens.  The fact that a 7 year old game after a bad expansion has lost less than 10% of its subs in the first 6 months after with no significant content releases (4.2 happened after q1) isnt exactly signalling the doom of WoW.

• C0MAC0MA Member Posts: 522

12 million to 10 million is more than 3% but yeah... they're doing fine, Pretty sure they'll be doing even better when they get a new expansion ready.

"Sometimes people say stuff they don''t mean, but more often then that they don''t say things they do mean"

12 million to 10 million is more than 3% but yeah... they're doing fine, Pretty sure they'll be doing even better when they get a new expansion ready.

I said q2.  Q1 they lost 600k.  q2 they lost 300k.  300k of 11 million is less than 3%.

• ArzhAngelArzhAngel Member Posts: 427

Hmm, why all the talk ? ? ?

SWTOR is far from being a threat to WOW. And no I dont play WOW, and never will :)

- The only game out there that will / or can be a threat to WOW is GuildWars II.

• C0MAC0MA Member Posts: 522

Originally posted by ArzhAngel

SWTOR is far from being a threat to WOW. And no I dont play WOW, and never will :)

well you just don't like the game, you have said multiple times you think it'll be a baron wasteland in 6 months. I on the other hand after reading all the reviews and watching all the video I could, think this will be the first game to maintain a million subs at the end of the first year... and I hope I'm right and you're wrong because if you're right... thats bad news for the MMO market... if SWTOR doesn't sale many people will drop producing MMO's out of fear, or making far crappier ones on much tighter budgets.

"Sometimes people say stuff they don''t mean, but more often then that they don''t say things they do mean"

A big mistake there, I love swtor, but hoped for something else especially since I know that if it would not be an entirely different standard then it will fade rapidly die and that is what would will happen now.

well you just don't like the game, you have said multiple times you think it'll be a baron wasteland in 6 months. I on the other hand after reading all the reviews and watching all the video I could, think this will be the first game to maintain a million subs at the end of the first year... and I hope I'm right and you're wrong because if you're right... thats bad news for the MMO market... if SWTOR doesn't sale many people will drop producing MMO's out of fear, or making far crappier ones on much tighter budgets.

SWTOR will sale, but that dosent mean it will survive

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

Wrong if companies like Activision, EA and Soe are on their way out its a good thing.

Reality though if SWTOR fails in the eyes of some stupid shareholdersa, EA will ruin (I Mean, buy) another studio throw big PR money at the game rince repeat.

If Swor is a long term success fine, if not fine it doesn't change anything for the genre as a hole, just maybe  weeding out the big companies which I would really love.

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

Originally posted by DerWotan

Wrong if companies like Activision, EA and Soe are on their way out its a good thing.

Reality though if SWTOR fails in the eyes of some stupid shareholdersa, EA will ruin (I Mean, buy) another studio throw big PR money at the game rince repeat.

If Swor is a long term success fine, if not fine it doesn't change anything for the genre as a hole, just maybe  weeding out the big companies which I would really love.

It is a good thing all major suppliers go out of business?  How nice of you, how many people will go unemployed, how many dollars in investment wasted?  Just because you think it is good?

Weeding out the big companies based on what?  Based on your blind hatred?  Your judgment on what is good, alone?

I want them all to succeed, and keep trying.  The US economy has gone weakened enough, we do not need more ill-wishes like yours.  In as much as I hate EA and a few of them for some of their decisions, I do not want the whole world to burn because I hate some trees outside my window.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

Originally posted by Talint

Hello MMORPG community,

We all know that Blizzard is a whore for money.  Well... all companies are, but that's besides the point.  Everytime a game is released, Blizzard does something to hinder making people switch over.  Whether is be the release of an expansion, a huge patch, or some other little way to hinder another company.  

So my question to is,  What will Blizzard do?

Talint

They will release Diablo's open beta to coincide closely to the release of SWTOR.  Then they will launch shortly before or after the first (large) SWTOR content update.

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

You know what would happen if EA and Activision are out of the genre? Former independent studios will be indies again, such as Blizzard, Bioware, DiCe and what not. If the big CEOs such as Smedley are losing their jobs I say hell yes, go for it these guys have accepted so many layoffs and studio closings so its fine, if they finally get what they deserve.

@Draemos exactly this they will wait till the first ToR month is over and then  release Diablo 3.

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

Originally posted by DerWotan

You know what would happen if EA and Activision are out of the genre? Former independent studios will be indies again, such as Blizzard, Bioware, DiCe and what not. If the big CEOs such as Smedley are losing their jobs I say hell yes, go for it these guys have accepted so many layoffs and studio closings so its fine, if they finally get what they deserve.

@Draemos exactly this they will wait till the first ToR month is over and then  release Diablo 3.

Oh so the story ends for the bad guy and everyone lives happily ever after.

Nice thinking of you.

If all banks in US go broke, we can have a happy ending as every small town will have its own bank, indie bank, and no more corporate thieves.  We will all happily live ever after, and we have to mail cash to our friends abroad.

Very wise of you, very omniscient, I would like to buy your crystal ball.

We are talking about the bulk of the publishers, distribution network.  Everything.  If they all go down, indies can take over, and we will have what?  Total chaos, very under budgeted games, limited geographical coverage, shrink in game penetration, nothing good I can see.

Evolution is usually good, revolution may not.

think this will be the first game to maintain a million subs at the end of the first year... 

WoW had 6 million after its first year.

Different markets, but L2 and Aion also had over 1 mil after on year.  Aion was on the downfall, but was over 3 million and still isnt under a million yet (although its almost all eastern subs)

• PaskePaske Member UncommonPosts: 135

The campaign allready started.

Patch 4.3 has been announced. With some interesting new things - Transmogrification for one, which translates to farming old content to get old gear and then throw piles of gold to make your new gear look like old. Also Deathwing is coming for those that can and still like raiding,

New expansion has been announced for Q1 2012. It seems that Pandaria is coming. Albait its still a rumor, but would not suprise me at all considering all the hype it has from Aprill fools jokes.

Im sure SWTOR will take a good chunk of WOW subs, simply because lots of people want a new game, need a new game. People like me that are looking for a few hours of fun once kids and wife are sleeping. Personaly Im looking forward to SWTOR. In the end it will come to two things - playability and content.

But with SWTOR and GW2 coming out ( and GW2 will not have monthly sub ) it will be interesting to see what will Blizz do. My guess is - wait for a month after release and see how many people resub to WOW after trying SWTOR. Personal experience say that ussualy 20% of player base stays on new game, anything beyond that is great success.

Bottom line, people ussualy like new games enough to sub, but after they reach mid lvl or higher ( there are allways hard core players that want world first max lvl ), there is nothing to do except few dungeons and a raid or two ...

Beta weekends might tell us more, but Im guessing we will only see polished part of the game and 90% still shrouded in myst.

• AckbarAckbar Member UncommonPosts: 927

Blizzard will do what it can to copy the features of these new games into Wow.

----ITS A TRAP!!!----

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Originally posted by Paske

Patch 4.3 has been announced. With some interesting new things - Transmogrification for one, which translates to farming old content to get old gear and then throw piles of gold to make your new gear look like old. Also Deathwing is coming for those that can and still like raiding,

New expansion has been announced for Q1 2012. It seems that Pandaria is coming. Albait its still a rumor, but would not suprise me at all considering all the hype it has from Aprill fools jokes.

Im sure SWTOR will take a good chunk of WOW subs, simply because lots of people want a new game, need a new game. People like me that are looking for a few hours of fun once kids and wife are sleeping. Personaly Im looking forward to SWTOR. In the end it will come to two things - playability and content.

But with SWTOR and GW2 coming out ( and GW2 will not have monthly sub ) it will be interesting to see what will Blizz do. My guess is - wait for a month after release and see how many people resub to WOW after trying SWTOR. Personal experience say that ussualy 20% of player base stays on new game, anything beyond that is great success.

Bottom line, people ussualy like new games enough to sub, but after they reach mid lvl or higher ( there are allways hard core players that want world first max lvl ), there is nothing to do except few dungeons and a raid or two ...

Beta weekends might tell us more, but Im guessing we will only see polished part of the game and 90% still shrouded in myst.

Where's that announcement to be found please?

Originally posted by Ackbar

Blizzard will do what it can to copy the features of these new games into Wow.

Not just copy, Blizzard does a good job adapting and learning the best of everyone else, seeing good ideas not well implemented elsewhere, and implementing the chosen good ideas into their games seamlessly.

That makes them a good builder.

Like a house builder, they choose the best materials for each part of the house, the best way to build it, for the layout and architectural drawing of their house and build it.

When someone develop a new kind of material or building method, the builder learns and adopts it.  Good builder.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

WoW already has light sabers, not much left to copy from TOR. Huttball maybe? :)

• PaskePaske Member UncommonPosts: 135

Originally posted by VoIgore

Originally posted by Paske

Where's that announcement to be found please?

Announcment might be a strong word - logical conclusion ?

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/?page=6

http://media.mmo-champion.com/images/news/2011/july/mistsfopandaria.jpg

Also Blue stated that they plan on getting expansions out MUCH faster then it was the case for previous expansions. Im expecting info on this during Blizzcon. BETA testing somewhere around Christmass and release end Q1/early Q2 2012.

• EvilkanebelEvilkanebel Member Posts: 20

Originally posted by Talint

Hello MMORPG community,

We all know that Blizzard is a whore for money.  Well... all companies are, but that's besides the point.  Everytime a game is released, Blizzard does something to hinder making people switch over.  Whether is be the release of an expansion, a huge patch, or some other little way to hinder another company.  

So my question to is,  What will Blizzard do?

Talint

Well since you can level from 1 to 20 for free in WoW with out a subscription, I think there next big move will probably be to introduce their new mmo under developement to keep the WoW playerbase motivated.  And for the time being they will go into detail about their upcoming expansion for WoW as well.

Other than that, they got nothing to worry about, they got enough money to retire from the business if they really wanted to.