Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wheres the progression in this game?

CzechGuyCzechGuy Member Posts: 86

It seems this game is really just a bragging rights game. The PvE is pointless and will be very simple as you dont even need a healer. Just block and roll= win basically.

Also hard mode dungeons why? Its not like you get anything interesting from doing it.You just beat the hardest dungeon in the game on super hard mode? Grats here is the same gear you were already wearing only its the color RED! wow so cool *rolls eyes*

No raids is also dumb. way too alienate more than half of all MMO gamers. Im sure they will enjoy zerging "dynamic content" whatever that means. Prolly more PQ's

Anyways the fanboys have really hyped this game up for something that ultimately will be uncompetitive and shallow. Casuals will love it though.

Comments

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

So play something else?? 

EDIT: I edited anything out of the post that could get me warned or banned, but....I sure didn't freaking WANT to do it.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

@OP: If you think GW2 is going to be an easy ride.... then you don´t know Arenanet!

• AthillianAthillian Member Posts: 104

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Originally posted by CzechGuy

Video Games are pointless

I modified your post a bit to make it the only truthful thing you have said.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Originally posted by Zzad

@OP: If you think GW2 is going to be an easy ride.... then you don´t know Arenanet!

Yea I can tell from game play videos alone this thing is going to be a real challenge.  Im actually kind of intimidated being that Ive never played GW.   But Im looking forward to diving in and giving it my best shot. 

As for the OP.  Oh NO!  No dedicated healer class!  The horror.  I can fire back and say something as equally rediculous like,

" Oh your game has the trinity.  So a healer keeps you alive!  Easy mode!  And the healer barely has to fight because someone else is doing all the fighting for them!  Easy Mode!  "    See how that works? 

Hard level dungeons?  Because an extra challenge is just SO lame.  Okay....right.  I love how you say the game is going to be too easy but then complain about the lameness of adding a higher difficulty to dungeons.  Seems pretty backwards too me.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Your loss, our gain. :)

There will be plenty of cool things to earn and aquire, but it's not a game where you do mindless stuff to earn stuff that just helps you do more mindless stuff. Playing the game is fun in it's own right and doesn't require a carrot dangled on a stick in front of you to motivate you participate. I know it's a difficult concept, but many people fail to understand the implications of any paradigm shift.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

Any response to this thread is guaranteed to be productive. 

• daniel!!!daniel!!! Member Posts: 400

It seems this game is really just a bragging rights game. The PvE is pointless and will be very simple as you dont even need a healer. Just block and roll= win basically.

Also hard mode dungeons why? Its not like you get anything interesting from doing it.You just beat the hardest dungeon in the game on super hard mode? Grats here is the same gear you were already wearing only its the color RED! wow so cool *rolls eyes*

No raids is also dumb. way too alienate more than half of all MMO gamers. Im sure they will enjoy zerging "dynamic content" whatever that means. Prolly more PQ's

Anyways the fanboys have really hyped this game up for something that ultimately will be uncompetitive and shallow. Casuals will love it though.

urm you will have to heal yourself, just because there is no dedicated healer it dosnt mean you can stand back do a dodge and enjoy the ride, you have to take healing on as well as tanking and dps as apart of a dynamic combat, raids still exist, smaller parties yes, but there are 3 versions of each dungeon in game, each different paths and different rewards meaning there is soeme goal to the raiding too.

[mod edit}

Originally posted by daniel!!!

urm you will have to heal yourself, just because there is no dedicated healer it dosnt mean you can stand back do a dodge and enjoy the ride, you have to take healing on as well as tanking and dps as apart of a dynamic combat, raids still exist, smaller parties yes, but there are 3 versions of each dungeon in game, each different paths and different rewards meaning there is soeme goal to the raiding too.

{mod edit}

Exactly.  That seems actually far more challenging than having someone keep me alive.  I like that its in my control and I'll have to work even harder to stay on top of it.  No crutches here. 

• NazgolNazgol Member Posts: 864

Titles and gear, the same as every other MMO.

In Bioware we trust!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

@OP

Guild Wars was always about minimizing grind and progression and more about what you achieve in the game.

If that's not your thing then it's not your game.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • hypersanhypersan Member Posts: 63

Progression in guildwars 2 will be based on 

1. Hard mode dungeons 

2. really hard dynamic events. 

3. World vs world PVP

Assuming that they have not come up with any new idea which i am sure they would have. 

Then equipment stats would not continually inflate with the difficulty of the content.

However the skins of the equipment from HARD mode would be way more elaborate and cool looking

than the skins from easy mode. 

You progression is therefore based on your individual skill which in this game is based on the Twitch factor of knowing when to dodge the positioning of the player which is very important  as well as movement and skill rotation. Now imagine coordinating all of this in a group of people and you quickly see that everyone has to be extremely good at what they do and when they do it. 

YOUR reward. 

Cool looking EPIC looking equiopment with stats that are not likley to be better that the easy mode.

Paradigm shift. 

Not sure if everyone is ready for the day when your leet dungeon gear doesnt do one point of damage extra to someone you are trying to gank in PVP. But thats whats cooking. 

Originally posted by hypersan

Not sure if everyone is ready for the day when your leet dungeon gear doesnt do one point of damage extra to someone you are trying to gank in PVP. But thats whats cooking. 

and i love it!

Skill > Gear

PvP is going to be awesome!!!

• SensaiSensai Member UncommonPosts: 220

Really?  Without addressing the OP's point, this is your argument?  And some of you other people want to use GW as the measuring stick for challenge?  Really? 

• chakalakachakalaka Member UncommonPosts: 291

I dare the OP to create a guild hence "Guild Wars" and to achieve top 200 in GVG, I dare you and I say you would never even get close to that just based off of the way you complain!

• RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

and i love it!

Skill > Gear

not to mention that PvP gear wont have some bulls**t stat that makes you better on it

• TGSOLTGSOL Member Posts: 274

and i love it!

Skill > Gear

Not only that, but it means that If you're a good enough player, you can hold your own in any form of PVP without having to first grind dungeons and raids over and over again just to get gear good enough to at least survive for more than five seconds in a PVP match.

I don't know why people see this as a bad thing. Other genre's don't (generally) do this (I'm sure there's some exception somewhere) , and they get along just fine. You don't have to grind for equipment in order to compete in an FPS like Battlefield, an RTS like Starcraft, or a fighting game like Street Fighter, and yet nobody complains about a "lack of progression" or any of that.

Some games do give you a slight edge for having played the game for awhile (equipment unlocks in Bad Company 2 and Team Fortress 2 can give you a little bit of an edge, for example), but you can still easily join a server in those games and hold your own with the default equipment if you have the skill (for example, a friend of mine who just recently started playing Team Fortress 2 was placing 2nd and 3rd in multiple games with the Medic and Demoman using only default equipment).

Only in MMO's do you find that equipment > skill. ANet wants to change that. Thank God, I say.

{mod edit}

Casuals and hardcore players.  What kind of question or point is this exactly? 

Casuals will play it for a few hours a week, others will play more.  I imagine the game is probably easy enough to pick up, with a high level of complexity as you move forward. 

Seriously do the players that suck at World of Warcraft not play that?  Because Ive played it and there were plenty of fail players during my time with it.  I dont think you've really made any kind of a point here.  Its kind of apparent you're grasping at straws. 

• NailzzzNailzzz Member UncommonPosts: 515

{mod edit}

My guess would be: Learn how to not suck. You know, actually improve my ability to play like in every other type of game.

What the hell happened to gamers? Can you imagine anyone using this logic when super mario bros came out? (damn! A turtle got me. I cant out gear/level it? I give up then.) Since when did so many gamers get so pathetic? Are mmo players really this afraid of a challenge? Are people attracted to mmo's because they suck/dont like anything they cant simply grind there way through without actually learning to be skilled players?

The above quoted post is the saddest most pathetic thing i think ive ever read. Hell i never completed all the hard mode content in GW1 either and i still play that. If you dont like a challenge then there are still plenty of other mmo's for you that replace challenge with grinding. Have fun with those.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

It seems this game is really just a bragging rights game. The PvE is pointless and will be very simple as you dont even need a healer. Just block and roll= win basically. I doubt any of this is true, but in WoW/any MMO you just basically stand there and press 1, 2, 3. So, basically pressing a macro over and over = win. And I've always found PvE to be a pointless exercise. This is a PvP game with some very inovative PvE elements that may lead to some huge industry changes.

Also hard mode dungeons why? Its not like you get anything interesting from doing it.You just beat the hardest dungeon in the game on super hard mode? Grats here is the same gear you were already wearing only its the color RED! wow so cool *rolls eyes* Accomplishments aren't always done for the gear that will destroy lesser content.

No raids is also dumb. way too alienate more than half of all MMO gamers. Im sure they will enjoy zerging "dynamic content" whatever that means. Prolly more PQ's You really need to back this up with some good hard facts. I don't believe for a second any where near 50% of MMO gamers raid. I doubt 50% of those who raid even enjoy it. They just do it for the gear.

Anyways the fanboys have really hyped this game up for something that ultimately will be uncompetitive and shallow. Casuals will love it though. A WoW/SWTOR fanboy comes over to the GW2 forum, makes some idiotic claims, and then runs off like a coward. Oh yea, you like non-challenging games like WoW and SWTOR. You don't enjoy things that actually fight back. Talk about uncompetitive and shallow...

{mod edit}

Are u saying GW2 will be only for the elitist? o.O

You can always host a PvP server to play with your friends PvP...i bet they suck even more than you  :P

Or you can train to be better than the rest! and then fight WvWvW battles! doing your best!

Or you can enjoy the PvE open world....and dinamic content...and dungeons....and all races....and story line...

and unique combat style! and underwater content....incredible art style....

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

You just slathered the name of this communities cherished baby!

Have at thee!

• NeikoNeiko Member UncommonPosts: 626

Oh noez! Having fun for the sake of having fun? NEVER. I need a carrot on this stick to have fun.

<_<...

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

{mod edit}

Oh I don't know, what do you do when you find out that you aren't goood at something? I suppose by your answer you quit?

I do know that some people work at what they aren't good at and try to get better. This happens in a lot of disciplines actually.

But I suppose not everyone is the same.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • treysmoothtreysmooth Member UncommonPosts: 648

Might wanna get your facts straight before spouting off numbers.   Few years ago blizzard did some data mining on just how many players raided in world of warcraft, it turned out to be less than 15 percent of the playerbase that EVER raided.  You are in the minority with being pro raid and the numbers back me on this point. 

Most people don't raid and never will because many of us A.  see that raids are simply giant  time sinks put in place to divert attention away from the fact that a game doesn't have any further content beyond that point.  B.  Have grown up and often have responsibilities that don't allow them to raid for time reasons.  I'm personally glad anytime a company puts their foot down and says I won't cater to the hardcores that play 10 plus hours a day so they can be the "best"  love hearing that in these mmo's that have no skill required since everything is gear based thus making anything else irrelevent. 

Face it raiding is a antiquianted concept that will be phased out in the next 5 to 10 years of gaming if mmo's every stop moving at a snails pace when it comes to evolution.

This discussion has been closed.