Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"wow" graphics...

To all the people that complain about the "wow" graphics and yell about Bioware "ripping off" wow,  let's take a trip shall we?

The year is 2003, ONE YEAR before wow.  KOTOR is released.   If you compare screenshots between KOTOR and TOR, you'll see a surprising "sameness" about them, aside from the higher resolution textures of today.   That's right.  Bioware decided to "copy" the artistic style from their own game! 

How dare they...

Comments

• drazzahdrazzah Member UncommonPosts: 437

Originally posted by lordpenquin

To all the people that complain about the "wow" graphics and yell about Bioware "ripping off" wow,  let's take a trip shall we?

The year is 1993, ONE YEAR before wow.  KOTOR is released.   If you compare screenshots between KOTOR and TOR, you'll see a surprising "sameness" about them, aside from the higher resolution textures of today.   That's right.  Bioware decided to "copy" the artistic style from their own game! 

How dare they...

Lets hope thats the ONLY thing they copy.

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757

The year is 2003, ONE YEAR before wow.  KOTOR is released.   If you compare screenshots between KOTOR and TOR, you'll see a surprising "sameness" about them, aside from the higher resolution textures of today.   That's right.  Bioware decided to "copy" the artistic style from their own game! 

How dare they...

Fixed, it botherd me image.

• mfukmfuk Member Posts: 24

I still don't understand why the f*** people talk about "WoW graphics" (not talking about you, OP). 

• LeoghanLeoghan Member Posts: 607

Originally posted by mfuk

I still don't understand why the f*** people talk about "WoW graphics" (not talking about you, OP). 

WoW was the first big name title to utilize a more "stylized" kind of graphics and still be a big success, at the time most MMO's were trying for more photo-realisitic appraoch. Hence the term "WoW graphics". 

The only reason TOR is "copying" a style from 2003 is because they are trying to make a game that will run on as many comps as possible, much like WoW did. Nothing wrong with that, but trust me if this wasn't a concern the would have gladly made more hardware intensive graphics, even if they wanted to keep a certain "style".  

• TalthanysTalthanys Member Posts: 458

My problem with the character model graphics (the sceneries are very nice) isn't that it is 'wow-like'. It's that they're overly simplistic and uninspired.

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

The year is 1993, ONE YEAR before wow.  KOTOR is released.   If you compare screenshots between KOTOR and TOR, you'll see a surprising "sameness" about them, aside from the higher resolution textures of today.   That's right.  Bioware decided to "copy" the artistic style from their own game! 

How dare they...

I think you mean 2003, and I agree.

I just hope they put that awesome shiny Sith armour in the game from KOTOR.

• apollobsg75apollobsg75 Member Posts: 66

Well theres also the jedi consular's shoulder armor.. If you flip them over and catch rain in then and bring them over to Africa you could irrigate the land for about 9000 years and end world hunger. That's just from 1 set of shoulder gear!! kinda wow like... just sayin.

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Originally posted by Talthanys

My problem with the character model graphics (the sceneries are very nice) isn't that it is 'wow-like'. It's that they're overly simplistic and uninspired.

I think you are missing something for one main reason: The faces. The faces of the character models in SWTOR look really good, they seem to have full articulation. The eyebrows even move making the eyes seem expressive and lifelike.

Really, go back and look at the current character models, don't look at anything older than the newer videos/screenshots because that won't be an accurate portrayal of what will be in the game at all.

I've also heard rumours that players will be able to make fat characters! That's NOTHING like what you can do with WoW's always very limited character creator.

• lordpenquinlordpenquin Member Posts: 129

Originally posted by AvatarBlade

How dare they...

Fixed, it botherd me image.

Yea, my Fiat is always skipping back too far.  Stupid imports...

• BarakIIIBarakIII Member Posts: 800

I don't see the similarity of style at all. Yeah TOR graphics are better, but the art style is completely different. Kotor went for a realistic style and with the graphics of the day they didn't do half bad, however it's very clear that TOR is going for a different style. The body proportions and facial features are a clear sign of this. Not to mention that the environments in Kotor were much less cartoony in style. The environmental textures you saw in Kotor were extremely crisp and real looking, this is not the case in TOR. The style you see in TOR is very much like something you'd see in a comic book and just like you might have varying opinions on diffferent artists in comics people can have different opinions on TOR. However to say TOR looks like Kotor is rediculous as Kotor was going for a realistic look and TOR clearly is not. The developers themselves have said they weren't going for a realistic style for TOR.

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

i actually much prefer WoW's art direction. games nowadays should either be really stylized or super realistic. the in-between doesnt really work.

• BarakIIIBarakIII Member Posts: 800

Originally posted by sonoggi

i actually much prefer WoW's art direction. games nowadays should either be really stylized or super realistic. the in-between doesnt really work.

Yeah, I actually like WoW's style myself. I'm not real fond of the art direction TOR took as I don't like Star Wars rendered in a cartoon style, even if it's a good cartoon style. A cartoony style just doesn't fit the Star Wars universe to me. That said I do understand the need for it. Having played AoC and suffering through load screens every other minute when you need to travel from one part of the world to another is annoying and they went for a realistic look. I wish it were unnecessary, but it is.

• ShredderSEShredderSE Member Posts: 197

They should have made a copy of SWG graphics, to be more real and true to Star Wars.

But now it's too late. =(

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by ShredderSE

They should have made a copy of SWG graphics, to be more real and true to Star Wars.

But now it's too late. =(

Oh please no.  For some reason even the latest rendition of SWG makes it look like the characters are not quite touching the ground when they are walking around.  Seems to be worst on Tatooine.  I admit I like some of the art style of SWG, but that always annoyed me so much that I couldn't enjoy the game (that is besides all the glitches and lack of content).

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• chopgrchopgr Member Posts: 179

SWG will definitelly NOT "Copy" WoW graphics.

There will be a similar way to design things but thats as far as it goes.

When you start playing SWG, the WoW feeling will decipate within the first five minutes. We are talking about an immersive Star Wars World here...

http://www.youtube.com/user/chopgr?feature=mhee

"The Heavens burned, the stars
    cried out
    And under the ashes of infinity,
    Hope, scarred and bleeding,
    breathed its last."

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

It's HeroEngine, why would they need to copy WoW graphics?

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

Originally posted by sookster54

It's HeroEngine, why would they need to copy WoW graphics?

Paralel evolution.

They both want graphics that look good, can run on many computers and stay good for years. They got to look similar. Maybe not literally copy, but when you want to do something that someone has done before and with great succes, you better look at it.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

How dare they...

So what your saying is that in 2011 they tought wow i know lets make our game from 8 years ago..

fail..

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by Caldrin

That's right.  Bioware decided to "copy" the artistic style from their own game! 

How dare they...

So what your saying is that in 2011 they tought wow i know lets make our game from 8 years ago..

fail..

I don't know, but his text that you copied yourself clearly stated 'style', not that the graphics would be exactly the same. 'artistic style' shouldn't be hard to understand for anybody that you can resemble that and still have different, upgraded graphics.

As for the graphics, I think that they can show kinship with KOTOR's graphics, but still are improved and upgraded to modern times as well, as the examples below show:

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• MyGaronaMyGarona Member Posts: 139
    If you run a business your product must be accessible. If it requires NASA tech to run the game, not many people can afford that. Hence your fantastic game will sell to a vastly smaller audience. I played WoW because it was the only MMO that ran on my laptop. Now I am off the road and have moved on to better products.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

I don't understand all of the fuss.  I think they did a pretty good job of both graphics style and quality.  I can understand that some people might not like the style but to say that the actual graphics are of poor quality is nonsensical.  

I self identify as a monkey.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

I await the day when gamers distinguish the words Art style and Graphics individually.

• KelthiusKelthius Member UncommonPosts: 298

Doesn't this art style allow for the game to be run on older PCs?

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

The graphics don't bother me. Nor does the art style.

The animations worry the heck out of me though. 

• joeri123joeri123 Member UncommonPosts: 247

I think everything looks great. don't be so demanding. The lesser you expect to more you can amaze yourself when playing.

And I think Bioware is master in making background scenery, just like their ME games.