Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Guild Wars 2: PAX 2011 - The Whole Package

SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News ManagerThe Land of AZPosts: 16,581MMORPG.COM Staff Uncommon

At PAX 2011, MMORPG.com Managing Editor Bill Murphy beat a hasty path to Arena.Net's Guild Wars 2 booth for one of his first interviews. He sat down with Colin Johanson and Eric Flannum to chat about Guild Wars 2 and Bill found out a bunch of terrific information. Read on!

You’ll be able to tweak and mold your character’s armor dyes from creation, and the game will intelligently apply the colors you choose to later pieces of armor as you play. Of course you will always be able to change the colors, and I think the best comparison I can think of is DCUO’s color palette system. The game remembers what your look is, and will put those colors on each new piece of armor you receive, unless you tell it otherwise.

Read more of Bill Murphy's Guild Wars 2: PAX 2011 - The Whole Package.

Associate Editor: MMORPG.com
Follow me on Twitter: @MMORPGMom

Comments

• phantiasmicphantiasmic jacksonville, FLPosts: 38Member

That is very cool!

- I have played Everquest, DAOC, Shadowbane, WoW, Aion, Rift, SW Galaxies, Planetside and Guild Wars (all expacs)

• DamzillaDamzilla MostarPosts: 175Member

Nice articel. Nothing new, but a nice round-up. I'm glad that underwater combat seems fun, as there has been lots of sceptics in that area. PvP seems to be really cool, especially for a pve oriented game. Looking forward to more info about WvWvW , could be some epic stuff.

• Excalaber2Excalaber2 Merrick, NYPosts: 357Member Uncommon

Fantastic!  Thanks for the new info!

Disclaimer: This is not a troll post and is not here to promote any negative energy. Although this may be a criticism, it is not meant to offend anyone. If a moderator feels the post is inappropriate, please remove it immediately before it is subject to consideration for a warning. Thank you.

• hardiconhardicon jackson, MSPosts: 358Member

The thing that excites me the most for guild wars is no monthly sub to be honest.  I love the look of the game and everything that has been revealed but no monthly sub makes it that much sweeter.

• SereliskSerelisk somewhere, NYPosts: 836Member

I would be perfectly content with them releasing paid content in the form of lore pieces because I absolutely LOVED the bonus missions packs in the first GW. They can have a similar set up where you can go to a Durmand Priory representative/historian or something in any of the the capital cities, and if you have the mission pack, do SOLO lore pieces  that are mega fun, cover some things that happened in the 250 years between GW1 and 2 and give aeshtetic bonuses. I would DEFINITELY pay for content like that. However, I don't think they should do it with 5 man dungeons. because then you'd have a lot of "haves and have not" problems where people feel excluded from being able to play with their friends.

Those sort of things should come in large box expansions. But it'd be cool for mission packs to be $5--$15 and have anywehere from 3-10 lore pieces. It'd also be neat if you could do some of the missions from the first GW but with GW2 flavor. Battle between Turai Ossa and Palawa Joko was so epic.

• ichihaifuichihaifu nullPosts: 259Member Uncommon

Its about time guild wars is truly starting to gather media, I mean its been out for so long and you could only follow its news from so little sources. From now on, I expect to read about GW from my local newspaper. /joke

• ichihaifuichihaifu nullPosts: 259Member Uncommon

Originally posted by ichihaifu

Its about time guild wars is truly starting to gather media, I mean its been out for so long and you could only follow its news from so little sources. From now on, I expect to read about GW from my local newspaper. /joke

Not out /facepalm, but in development and in show. (ever since last years gamescom I think?)

• TalthanysTalthanys Millersville, MDPosts: 458Member

Female Norn thieves are fairly sexy.

I mean...uhh....great news! Yay thieves! I mean yay Arenanet!

• LeongtiLeongti St.AlbansPosts: 37Member
    The wvwvw will be awesome if its going to have such great rewards
  • SabbicatSabbicat Cambridge, ONPosts: 260Member Uncommon

One of the more informative reviews that shows how much better this game is getting. Well done.

• SBE1SBE1 New York, NYPosts: 335Member

Glad they went straight cooldown instead of managing energy.

• VaultFairyVaultFairy LeedsPosts: 556Member Uncommon

Ah! So that's why i recently seen no blue bar, wondered what happened to it. Glad they got rid of it though.

• VhalnVhaln Chicago, ILPosts: 3,159Member

Why are they afraid of players being able to make ugly characters?  I'd rather see more slider range - some people might just make deformed characters, but others might find the room to be extra creative with it.  If sliders are too limited, you just get everyone looking so similar, there's no much point in even having sliders.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• RequiamerRequiamer ???Posts: 2,034Member

Ye i'm glad they took out the heavy potion use, i never liked it.

The Asura look great, i never even imagined that race would ever attract me, but i find it so fun.

And the pvp just look awsome, can't wait to see the WvWvW.

• Methos12Methos12 Maladis 46Posts: 1,234Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Vhaln

Why are they afraid of players being able to make ugly characters?  I'd rather see more slider range - some people might just make deformed characters, but others might find the room to be extra creative with it.  If sliders are too limited, you just get everyone looking so similar, there's no much point in even having sliders.

Because Aion. Go take a look if you haven't seen what monstrosities were born from its CC.

Nature without Technology is little more than animals running about.
    Nature without Magic is without wonder or miracle.
    Magic without Technology is fantasy.
    Magic without Nature is formless and useless.
    Technology without Nature is application without understanding.
    Technology without Magic is repetitious and uninventive.
  • 9ineven9ineven SomewherePosts: 153Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Methos12

Because Aion. Go take a look if you haven't seen what monstrosities were born from its CC.

http://f.imagehost.org/0795/aion1.jpg

For exemple.

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 columbia, SCPosts: 838Member

Originally posted by 9ineven

For exemple.

There should at least be a boob and butt slider for norn females. Dat Norn.

• SpallieroSpalliero Fresno, CAPosts: 147Member
    No ugos is freaking bs IMO, don't worry I say I'll figure a way to make an ugos I always do.

Sic Luceat Lux

• fiontarfiontar Dana, MAPosts: 3,719Member

Originally posted by 9ineven

For exemple.

Perfect example. They don't want stuff like that to ruin the immersion for other players. I just hope they don't go too far in the limitations. I think you should be able to duplicate the same kinds of variation we find in the middle 90% of the human population.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• IAmMMOIAmMMO LondonPosts: 1,332Member Uncommon

Lets hope this sets a trend in the gaming industry that's it really is ok to stay away from the WOW formula as people really are tired of that now and the next generation to find it new is still around 3 to 4 years off from being at the age they'll start MMO gaming. The 2000 babies.

• VhalnVhaln Chicago, ILPosts: 3,159Member

Originally posted by fiontar

Perfect example. They don't want stuff like that to ruin the immersion for other players. I just hope they don't go too far in the limitations. I think you should be able to duplicate the same kinds of variation we find in the middle 90% of the human population.

Problem is, the middle 90% of real people don't have to choose from a small handful of face textures.  Look at AoC for example - plenty of sliders, but everyone looks pretty much like their base texture, because you cant do enough with those sliders.  Aion's customization was way better than AoC's, and part of why it was so good is because of how much freedom they let the player have.

The only way it went too far, IMHO, was the body size sliders.  I don't like seeing everyone making tiny characters for the PvP advantage.  Ugly characters didn't bother me, though.  I saw them now and then, but still not sure why it was bad enough to warrant curbing everyone else's creative freedom to prevent it.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk zagrebPosts: 1,532Member

Originally posted by Spalliero

No ugos is freaking bs IMO, don't worry I say I'll figure a way to make an ugos I always do.

That shouldn't be a trouble in GW2... Just roll an Asura :D

• scotty899scotty899 townsvillePosts: 166Member

@ the AION pic of the femal troll. i could not stop laughing baahahahahah. imagine getting owned by something that stupid looking. you feel like such a douche

• MorcelllMorcelll El Campo, TXPosts: 407Member

It's not just them not wanting players to make ugly characters.  It's also the fact that players could be breaking lore by doing so.  Such as making a dwarf sized Norn or so.  I am completely satisfied with this, you can still make ugly characters it just won't be to the extent of lore breaking.

• ausj3w3lausj3w3l BrisbanePosts: 5Member

Originally posted by WardTheGreat

It's not just them not wanting players to make ugly characters.  It's also the fact that players could be breaking lore by doing so.  Such as making a dwarf sized Norn or so.  I am completely satisfied with this, you can still make ugly characters it just won't be to the extent of lore breaking.

it would be quite esay to have make sliders have a reasonable limit without hindering peoples creativity, cause dammit i want my norn to have a big pot belly

having everyone look very similiar imo is more breaking to immersion than having uggos