Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Subscription Plan: It's $1.00 per death.

So you want player deaths to mean something, eh?

Scratch the monthly fee. Scratch the cash shops. It's time to load that account with 1UPs!

Can you imagine the change of behavior?

What would you say to the moron who trained a bunch of add-on mobs during the raid?

What would you say to the tank who refuses to hold aggro?

What would you say to the healer who went afk?

What would you say about the "Lost Connection" deaths?

What would you say to player who ganked you from the bushes?

What would you say to the player who opened the exploding chest?

IMAGINE

Comments

• DivonaDivona Member UncommonPosts: 189

That reminded me of Entropia Universe.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Ken's Holy Crap That's a Cool Idea

AWARD

You're the winner!

Yeah, that would make for some wild dynamics.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • TGSOLTGSOL Member Posts: 274

I can think of a number of potential ways to abuse the system to the detriment of others, but if you could get around those problems, I think it's actually an awesome idea.

• britzbanbritzban Member UncommonPosts: 260

I like your idea..its brilliant

• TJixleeTJixlee Member Posts: 159

that wouild be VERY interesting

• Dudek28Dudek28 Member UncommonPosts: 226

it just might be crazy enough to work.

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

I cant remember, who yea i do now.  In LOTRO there is an acheviment award for getting to level 30 without dieing.  Im not sure if there is any other things like that in wow or any other games but its doable, just not in raids or something where you can die easily or dungeons for that matter.

There would be alot of young kids chewing into there college tuition.  Just think, giving up all there money for a mmorpg, the irony...

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

F2P with a limit of X deaths a week would work so much better.  Allow players to get addicted to a game by letting them get to a certain level without having this death penalty, but when they reach it, the death penalty hits hard.  The value of X would be enough to let players keep playing to a limited extent, and would be small enough to encourage bad players to reroll and make new characters to fill up the low to mid level areas.

Additionally, you could have an "unlimited death pass" that lasts a month for those who REALLY suck...or like subs.

...not that I particularly like the idea...but thats just me (im not really a big death penalty fan).

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• TolandToland Member CommonPosts: 38

If I was a tank I would demand I got paid a dollar to die for you squeashy folk, or no tanky for you.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

So they charge you a buck for every time you die?  So no one would ever run challenging content because fear of death.  PvP would be non existant and completely unrewarding.  People would rage quit by the hundreds.  Or thousands. 

After a year the game would enjoy a wonderfully healthy population of 12 people.  Awesome. 

Originally posted by Toland

If I was a tank I would demand I got paid a dollar to die for you squeashy folk, or no tanky for you.

*BIG GRIN*

Pay me in respawn tokens or no tanky.  I could see that.  It could become an in-game currency.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

Sub but if you survive 30 days you get free month and become neutral for that free month.all can kl yousurvive that free month you get bis gear say a neckless

Originally posted by drbaltazar

Sub but if you survive 30 days you get free month and become neutral for that free month.all can kl yousurvive that free month you get bis gear say a neckless

Or make it so you can buy respawn tokens with gold off of cash shop buyers.  For them it's like buying gold.  For you it's farm so you don't have to pay the subscription.

So if you dont buy resspawn token you stay penilised ffor dying and walkoing back.i can live with tjat

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

People would turn off their computer when they are about to die to try and claim "I got killed because i went link dead!!" all the time and it would be a CS nightmare.

This is the beauty of this.it is optional.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581
    And you tankers and dps jolly well pay me well, if not my fingers might slip...

Dun think its a good idea, no one will engaged in pvp or raid, not many ppl will play also, and most will roll a pet class in fear of dieing, you will see tons of night elf huntards arounds ......no thx:

RIP Orc Choppa

• NixishNixish Member UncommonPosts: 185

This satire is delicious.

I bet there is a dev tryimg to add our idea to their game.would prob work with all paid sub mmo also lol.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Originally posted by drbaltazar

This is the beauty of this.it is optional.

If 'optional' means opening a new account when drained of your lives.

Technically this already exists in games like Dungeon Fighter, where you get a daily ration of 3 lives that let you revive during an instance. Beyond that, you pay for it. Though, what you propose is more of an arcade philosophy, andto be quite honest with you - it could definitely work with the right spin.

The main problem remains this; barrier to entry.

~ but in this case; barrier to reentry.

You DL the game, take time to make characters, get in, then quickly lose all your lives to either being of vegetable-class reaction in PvE, or having them sodomized from you forcefully in some kind of PvP oversight left in by the dev team. This kind of game + FFAPvP seems like 50/50 chance of being an utter disaster, or the most hardcore game of elitists willing to shill more than they ever would elsewhere. In most cases you will find people dropping the game entirely once drained of their initial lives, therefore, having a regenerating supply is just about the only choice "these days".

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• ErzabetaErzabeta Member Posts: 14

This would never work, but man what a funny idea. :)

How about an Idiot tax. You know, when your primnary healer decides to stand in the blue flame and can't keep the tank up and everyone wipes, or the DPS Rogue can't seem to stop pulling aggro from the Boss, or that Hunter once again has his pet attack and draw the other two mobs in the room while your trying to drop the first.  Once the wipe happens everyone can mash the Idiot button and the offender has to eat the repair costs or pay the $40 for everyone dying if they can't afford it. Or I know, the offender has to play as a trash mob monster for the next run. Or gets ported to the enemy faction city wearing nothing but underwear and a little dunce cap with "I'm an Idiot" written on it and flagged for PVP. Cheaper than taking everyone to dinner to apologize. :) 

Might even get people to pay more attention. But probably not. :)

Hell I'd probably do it at least once to see if I could kill anyone as a trash mob, or see if I could run out of the city naked and laughing before they slaughtered me. lol.

And No, I'm not serious. Just playing along.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

I PVP a lot and so I know I die way more than 14 times a month. This would be utterly detrimental to my bank account.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

Wait, I know! How about if when a player dies to another player, the player who died loses a dollar and the person who won gets payed payed 60 cents of the dollar that the player who died lost. The other 40 cents would go towards the game companies revenue.

I could probably almost sustain minimum wage doing that!

Originally posted by GTwander

In most cases you will find people dropping the game entirely once drained of their initial lives, therefore, having a regenerating supply is just about the only choice "these days".

Initial supply... that's wizard.  Give them 10 soulbound tokens at creation.

In all seriousness this is quite an idea.

2 related comments.

Shaiya has an ultimate  mode character that's permadeath unless rezzed or having a cash shop item on them.  It's very similar to this concept.

Another game... was it Allods?  has some sort of perfume item that can shake rez sickness.  Otherwise the character is stuck in purgatory for an hour after death (disclaimed, I barely recall this, I might be way off).

Originally posted by Nixish

This satire is delicious.

And entertaining to boot.  It reminds me of a bunch of drunks sitting around a table talking about feeding mayonaise to tuna fish so when packed they'd be ready to make sandwiches.