Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will you create a facebook account or share your existing to play TSW?

Comments

• pb1285npb1285n Member Posts: 505

I don't understand the irrational fear of facebook that seems to be prevalant on this website. You think you're personal information is safe?

Do you have a credit card, checking account, cell phone, loan, mortgage, utility bill, or job? Well then alll your personal information including your name, address, and social security number is stored in an online database somewhere. If you think its more secure than facebook then you're the sheep.

Seriously, years of playing video games involving government conspiracies must have really paranoid you.

The only way you can really protect yourself anymore is to set your home on fire, find a little shack in the middle of the woods, and avoid any human contact for the rest of your life. Don't forget the tin foil hat, since the government is obviously trying to read your mind at this very moment.

(Obviously some people don't use facebook because they don't like it, I'm not talking about them)

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by pb1285n the middle of the woods, and avoid any human contact for the rest of your life. Don't forget the tin foil hat, since the government is obviously trying to read your mind at this very moment.
    (Obviously some people don't use facebook because they don't like it, I'm not talking about them)

And EVEN that would not help actually. :)

If someone wanted to find you and had resources to get that info they would have enough resources to re-trace the steps you took for disappearing off the map in less than few days. (there has been a documentary movie about a social experiment of person trying to completely vanish from the sight from everyone in a week headstart and a simple detective agency with job to locate him in 48 hours after)

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

Will you create a facebook account or share your existing to play TSW?

None of the above. I definately won't share my existing facebook account , I am not gonna create fake one either.

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

Originally posted by marinrider

Originally posted by Yuui

I refuse to participate in the poll because it will obviously use my information I provide(a choice) against me in some conspiracy! /tinfoil hat.

Obviously the first option.

Golden!

I'd keep that tinfoil hat on hand to protect you from the aliens tonight.  Oh and that black car you saw sitting on the street today, yeah that was the government keeping tabs on you.  I'd be careful though just incase funcom decides to choose you for "required testing" based off of your facebook info (that is before they sell it).

Yeah, I chose the first option.

It's a simple poll, no need to get all defensive and ridicule it, i apologize if it offended you.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• AinorAinor Member Posts: 9

No i wont create a facebook account for this or any other game. 

• goouiegoouie Member Posts: 44

I had a couple of facebook accounts I used for gaming, I hate Facebook so things like this are the only reason I use it

• wolvie3131wolvie3131 Member UncommonPosts: 196

I never had a Farcebook account dont plan on having one now for just a game.

I do things the old fashoned way I tell my IRL friends what I want them to know in person, I dont need a "social Media " page to connect to some fakity fake person in Timbucktu I will never meet or that will never have any real impact on my life further than I haz more page sparklies than joo.

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 829

Originally posted by marinrider

I refuse to participate in the poll because it will obviously use my information I provide(a choice) against me in some conspiracy! /tinfoil hat.

Obviously the first option.

Golden!

I'd keep that tinfoil hat on hand to protect you from the aliens tonight.  Oh and that black car you saw sitting on the street today, yeah that was the government keeping tabs on you.  I'd be careful though just incase funcom decides to choose you for "required testing" based off of your facebook info (that is before they sell it).

Yeah, I chose the first option.

I chose first as well. ALready had a Facebook account didn't even bother using my alt account.

I live surrounded by trees so there is no way that black car could observe me from the street...but I know they're lurking up in the trees watching me, where's my chainsaw?!

Tinfoil hat, pfffttt! They can still get in through your ears...tinfoil HELMET for the win!

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556
    Taus, by no means did you offend me. I was continuing the sarcasm from the previous poster.
  • Drekker17Drekker17 Member Posts: 296

My Facebook account says I'm a stuffed animal so I don't really care. I only use it for game stuff like others said.

"Great minds talk about ideas, average minds talk about events, and small minds talk about people." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Americans used to roar like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security." -Norman Vincent Peale

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I voted that I wont play it if its required. If I want to play TSW, then Ill register for TSW. And not for some service that Im not planning to use in the first place.

Its like the needing to be online to play offline single player game crap. I wish those companies stopped doing this nonsense. If you want me to buy your games, then stop pushing your antipiracy/datamining stuff in my face. Start treating me like a customer again, please.

• munsil42munsil42 Member UncommonPosts: 96

Don't really care, can always unlike/block them later after and "if" I get into beta. I don't keep anything remotely personal on Facebook. Never have, never will. I just post when I'm gettng drunk out and about anyways.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Originally posted by Khrymson

Even though I've been at odds with Funcom since, AO, I'm still slightly interested in the Secret World, and I was attempting to sign up for beta.  The Illuminati are who I'd choose to join, but as soon as I got to the Facebook required part, I gave up.  I know I could create a fake account if I wanted, but I don't even have a real account yet, and probably never will.  This is a stupid requirement, so I'll hold out and hopefully they'll rethink this, but if not, then screw Funcom yet again!

^This, 100%. Requiring a non-related 3rd party website is just beyond stupid. I don't have a FB account, and I never will. If I want to 'social network' with somebody, I'll give them my phone number.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Come to think of it, all drama aside, I highly doubt they're requiring Facebook to play the game at all.  More likely, it's just required to take full advantage of their meta-content game, or whatever they're calling it.  Something most players won't bother with, anyhow.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• BhorzoBhorzo Member Posts: 192

Originally posted by Vhaln

Come to think of it, all drama aside, I highly doubt they're requiring Facebook to play the game at all.  More likely, it's just required to take full advantage of their meta-content game, or whatever they're calling it.  Something most players won't bother with, anyhow.

.... unless you need to participate in the facebook meta game to complete quests, get rewards, etc etc

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Bhorzo

.... unless you need to participate in the facebook meta game to complete quests, get rewards, etc etc

The Facebook meta game is required for the Facebook meta game and to register for a beta invite. That's it so far.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• MupfMupf Member Posts: 17

Dear Gaming-Industry... what in the seven kingdoms is wrong with you?

First Blizzivision comes along with a RMAH, now this.

For me a game, esp one in which I play a different character, is about NOT having my real world around me. I want to be in a different world when I create a virtual character. Otherwise it doesn't make any sense at all, and my interested in the game and its world is nullified.

Guess I have to become a reactionary conservatist for once, concerning games and their future.

Originally posted by lizardbones

The Facebook meta game is required for the Facebook meta game and to register for a beta invite. That's it so far.

Developers have explicitely stated that some solutions to puzzles, and some unlocks for loot, will be from OUTSIDE the game, ie on the interwebz. If that information is restricted to Facebook, for example, I won't be able to claim my dungeon loot without a Facebook account.

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Developers have explicitely stated that some solutions to puzzles, and some unlocks for loot, will be from OUTSIDE the game, ie on the interwebz. If that information is restricted to Facebook, for example, I won't be able to claim my dungeon loot without a Facebook account.

Obviously it won't be restricted to facebook.

ARGs have been going on for more than a year on TSW and none of that required facebook. Some did require twitter and its not surprising even if some parts of arg will require facebook.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by pb1285n

I don't understand the irrational fear of facebook that seems to be prevalant on this website. You think you're personal information is safe?

Do you have a credit card, checking account, cell phone, loan, mortgage, utility bill, or job? Well then alll your personal information including your name, address, and social security number is stored in an online database somewhere. If you think its more secure than facebook then you're the sheep.

Seriously, years of playing video games involving government conspiracies must have really paranoid you.

The only way you can really protect yourself anymore is to set your home on fire, find a little shack in the middle of the woods, and avoid any human contact for the rest of your life. Don't forget the tin foil hat, since the government is obviously trying to read your mind at this very moment.

For me it's not about personal information. The approach feels like a con artists approach.  They are asking me to associate my name with their game for their benefit.  In the real world, I would be getting paid a nice sum of $$$ for advertising your product. In some ways this is worse as you are not even certain of getting paid with a beta account.

Why don't you gamers hold youself up to a better standard of treatment?  Are you that easy? 

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Obviously it won't be restricted to facebook.

ARGs have been going on for more than a year on TSW and none of that required facebook. Some did require twitter and its not surprising even if some parts of arg will require facebook.

It's in their best financial interests to restrict as much of the out-of-game content to something like Facebook, so that we can advertise (ie spam-bot) the game for them.

If ARGs, loot unlock codes, specialty items, and a large part of the lore, are restricted to Facebook, you'll have no other option than to sign up, if you want to effectively play the game.

Originally posted by waynejr2

For me it's not about personal information. The approach feels like a con artists approach.  They are asking me to associate my name with their game for their benefit.  In the real world, I would be getting paid a nice sum of $$$ for advertising your product. In some ways this is worse as you are not even certain of getting paid with a beta account.

Why don't you gamers hold youself up to a better standard of treatment?  Are you that easy? 

I agree with this.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

I'm just getting a little tired of gaming companies trying to turn me into a piece of their viral marketing machine.

• ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670

Cash shop in a p2p sucks.That's all i've got to say.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by Daffid011

I'm just getting a little tired of gaming companies trying to turn me into a piece of their viral marketing machine.

Same here.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"