Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: Phase 1 of The Secret War Now Live

Comments

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883
    Lol

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

really resisted the term failcom but during the last months they really deserve it now.

Mess up the beta, hybrid payment model and on top of that requiring full fb access *lol*

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by eycel

Dont use facebook Iv decided Im not making one either.  Plus the stupid questionare thing wont work right, it cuts off at the 3rd question, i mean i just cant see it, even making the webpage zoom out doesnt help, I feel beaten down. lol...silly as hell.

Couldn't get past that question either.  Glad it wasnt just me.  I even tabbed through and there was nothing to click other than the "next" and the "x" buttons...  I just went and read about the three and chose mine based off of what I read.

• bammincbamminc Member Posts: 3

It appears that previously having registering for the forums or the newsletter with your email address entered you into the beta pool, the Facebook app Secret War is a way to market the game and the reward is in game stuff and "guaranteed beta access during some phase, not first or last".  I fast forward through commercials on my dvr, I will fast forward through this commercial too.  It's greedy business, but it's still only business.

The difference between confidence and over-confidence is that you must first be wrong to be over-confident.

• darkedone02darkedone02 Member UncommonPosts: 581

I hope I get into the beta, because this game is kinda awesome. Quest that are not so grindy, some quest to make you litterly investigate, instead of go here and there like most questing systems in most games. If this game get more attention, It will become a good game for those who want to "revolutionize" the way mmorpg are.

Now I wont be surprise if this game got alot of bugs, because it's Funcom, they had alot of bugs with Age of Conan when it released and it got alot of bad ratings for it. I'm also guessing that Anarchy Online was the same, even though I don't care for the game due to it's difficult combat system and heavy grinding (from what I experiance). Funcom hopefully test there game and release it at a proper date and half or most bugs have been eliminated, or they will suffer from bad ratings again.

• audorinaudorin Member Posts: 11

YOU DON'T NEED A FACEBOOK TO REGISTER FOR THE BETA!

But to participate in The Secret War you would need a facebook, simply because it is a facebook game.

• yamibladeyamiblade Member UncommonPosts: 13

Not gonna try because it's gonna require me to use facebook.  Still gonna get the game though.

See you all at Launch!

• CatchmeifuCatchmeifu Member Posts: 45

Originally posted by lectrocuda

this game is off of my list simply because they want access to all my personal information. Fuck off.

lmao good luck

• darkedone02darkedone02 Member UncommonPosts: 581

I seriously don't get why people are so against this whole facebook thing? I use facebook mostly because I had friends in real life to check up on and chat with, and since some of the games and programs that i used may require a facebook authendication, I made one anyway. It's not like if you make a facebook account, someone going to steal everything from you, just make one just for the games that require facebook, no need to add in any more infomation for it.

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by bamminc

It appears that previously having registering for the forums or the newsletter with your email address entered you into the beta pool, the Facebook app Secret War is a way to market the game and the reward is in game stuff and "guaranteed beta access during some phase, not first or last".  I fast forward through commercials on my dvr, I will fast forward through this commercial too.  It's greedy business, but it's still only business.

There will be multiple beta phases. 

Those who followed the arg since beginning most likely will get in earlier. Then youhave hte lucky ones with beta keys from forum activities, PAX attendees, AOC-promotion beta testers, random beta pool from everyone signed up and secret war participants. every group will most likely get in during different beta access points.

secret war is also part of games lore(there's both arg reason for the delay and arg reason on why it uses facebook), offers 100% chance to get in the beta, other in game goodies and a possibility of a trip to montreal.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• BlacksirBlacksir Member UncommonPosts: 28
  • jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Originally posted by lakoka

Don't worry, I gave em my informations, and when the game will get out, I will even give them where I live and my credit card! No jokes!

This.  Beauty.

• BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972

What better advertisement (free, I might add) for gaming companies?  Word of mouth, proof that other players are planning to play... Gaming companies also know that if you play solo, you will likely play the game 'less' and for a shorter amount of time.  If you are a member of a guild or group of players (community) you will play for longer (pay/subscribe) for longer.

Personally, no, I don't want everyone in the free world knowing that I will be playing which games.  Sorry... I just don't.  I don't need some random ass person knowing that I'm xxxxxx xxxxxx, work for xxxxxxxxx, and live here.... and play this and other games.

"Hey, gold-farmers.. check me out! I play all of these games! Please spam me and feel free to use this as yet another tool to contact me about my account and try to hack me and get the rest of my information! YOU ARE WELCOME!"

It's one thing for the gaming company to be able to connect the dots. I don't need the mouth-breathing, window-licking stalkers doing the same.

No thanks.

Let us pay to play your game.

Don't use us or our information. 

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

Originally posted by jdlamson75

Don't worry, I gave em my informations, and when the game will get out, I will even give them where I live and my credit card! No jokes!

This.  Beauty.

There is a difference between giving them your Credit Card information as payment option and giving them a free lifetime pass to all your personal information, interests, friends and activities.

Creating a profile about you for advertisement with this kind of access to your activities and your friends activities is a easy. Information like that is worth a lot of money.

Of cause, you can use a fake account. I was merely pointing it out for the less computer savyy.

It's the fact that they try to get to this information using the promise of guaranteed beta access makes it shady business behaviour.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

Originally posted by taus01

This.  Beauty.

There is a difference between giving them your Credit Card information as payment option and giving them a free lifetime pass to all your personal information, interests, friends and activities.

Creating a profile about you for advertisement with this kind of access to your activities and your friends activities is a easy. Information like that is worth a lot of money.

Of cause, you can use a fake account. I was merely pointing it out for the less computer savyy.

It's the fact that they try to get to this information using the promise of guaranteed beta access makes it shady business behaviour.

And yet you can't give one logical reason why it makes shady? why would Funcom sell your personal info? what will they possibly gain out of it? when you use your credit card for playing game you give your personal info anyways, the only difference is that on facebook you have your pictures and friends linked to your account.

If you have a facebook account you have already compromised your personal information  whther you share it with Funcom or not and if you don't have a facebook account making a dummy one wouldn' hurt you in any way.

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

Originally posted by Supersoups

This.  Beauty.

And yet you can't give one logical reason why it makes shady? why would Funcom sell your personal info? what will they possibly gain out of it? when you use your credit card for playing game you give your personal info anyways, the only difference is that on facebook you have your pictures and friends linked to your account.

If you have a facebook account you have already compromised your personal information  whther you share it with Funcom or not and if you don't have a facebook account making a dummy one wouldn' hurt you in any way.

And yet you can't give one logical reason why it makes shady? why would Funcom sell your personal info? what will they possibly gain out of it?

It is worth around $1 per unique user.

And yet YOU fail to explain why they even need that kind of access in the first place. Certainly not for this ARG crap. I know NO other facebook game or application that requests information that detailed. Please do enlighten me why they need it?

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• BhorzoBhorzo Member Posts: 192

Since a large portion of this game will happen outside of the videogame (ie in the real world), I wouldn't be surprised if a facebook account will be required to play the game after it's released.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

And yet you can't give one logical reason why it makes shady? why would Funcom sell your personal info? what will they possibly gain out of it?

And yet YOU fail to explain why they even need that kind of access in the first place. Certainly not for this ARG crap. I know NO other facebook game or application that requests information that detailed. Please do enlighten me why they need it?

YOU do not give any logical reason either as to WHY they need FULL ACCESS to our FB accounts!

For these kind of promotions they DO NOT NEED full access to your FB account!

So WHY do they request it? WHY do they want FULL ACCESS to our FB accounts?

EDIT: I meant the person above you ofcourse (the one you quoted!).

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

I think now youare just doing it on purpose, selective reading and all. my FB account has no home address, no phone numbers, even my email address i used to register is not my main

All i have is my name and my city and few stoner friends from college in friends list. So you see i am not giving out any personal info to Funcom. So what do they have access to exactly? 

it is up to you what you want to reveal on FB and you can register to it like any other normal site with an email address. That is it, no personal info required.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Supersoups

I think now youare just doing it on purpose, selective reading and all. my FB account has no home address, no phone numbers, even my email address i used to register is not my main
    All i have is my name and my city and few stoner friends from college in friends list. So you see i am not giving out any personal info to Funcom. So what do they have access to exactly? 
    it is up to you what you want to reveal on FB and you can register to it like any other normal site with an email address. That is it, no personal info required.

The Funcom Facebook App asks for those permissions because it's part of Facebook's requirements for Facebook applications. That's how Facebook does it, not Funcom. ALL Facebook applications have those permissions.

Why would Funcom use Facebook? Because there are 80 Million+ people on Facebook, all within about 6 degrees of separation from each other in an already established social network. It gives them access to a lot of people who can spread the word about their game. Duh...it's a social advertising network.

The better question to ask is why does Facebook, by default require that information be given to application developers? Why does Facebook require you to give out that information in order to participate in any Facebook activity? Because it's worth money.

If you've put personal information on Facebook, you've put personal information in a permanent and public place and you have no one to blame but yourself when it gets out.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• TorvacTorvac Member UncommonPosts: 135

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

I just made a "Dummy" FB account to sign up. They didn't get CRAP from me, and I was able to sign up for beta :)! Aren't I a smarty :D?

nope you are not. with their beacons ("i like" button) and smart synching they eventually link your real identity with your fake one. and your "friends" do the rest. the more information around you is public the closer anyone can get to the real one.

• SassieST808SassieST808 Member Posts: 4

• SassieST808SassieST808 Member Posts: 4

1.5 years ago I bought an 1 years sub for conan, that package included closed beta for the secret world... As normal Funcom sold stuff and did NOT deliver yet. And now every1 can join!

Screw you Funcom!!!!!!

• UBakedUBaked Member Posts: 7

facebook just allows more ARG stuff to happen prior to release

http://crygaia.net/wiki/Council_of_Venice_systems_malfunction

The secret war has begun.

believe everything - believe nothing

OH and now u dont need facebook to sign up to beta -

• Rocal2012Rocal2012 Member UncommonPosts: 3

all these people excuse the term mods but all these people bitching about needing FB to sign up have never even seen the front page of TSW website because on the left it says use facebook to sign up for beta but to the right in the exact amount of space is says you dont need FB to sign up for beta. for those to lazy to look two inches to the right here is the link https://register.funcom.com/signup/ctrl/register/us/tsw/TSW-BETA1 so would you people please get the hell over it.

The only difference between madness and genius is a lack of proof.