Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dragon Age is 11.95 at D2D. is it worth it ?

Comments

• LisXiaLisXia Member Posts: 390

Originally posted by psyclum

DA2 uses the same anti pirate code as windows vista.... 

they both suk so bad that pirates refuse to steal it:D

There are pirated copies of DA2, and I do not think that DA2 is a bad game.  There are tons of bad games out there, much much worse.

• SaorlanSaorlan Member Posts: 289

Originally posted by Cacophanist

Originally posted by Redcor
    Was thinking about getting this now that its cheap. All the bad reveiws kept me away as I was a big fan of Origins. It it worth 12 bucks ? and mods or patches make it better or is it just not worth playing at all ?
    Yes it is great if you like completely linear games that lead you by the nose. You can not explore as there are invisable walls. Everything is instanced. The story could have been written by a 10  year old, the character are totally cardboard cut out.
    I can not wait for SWTOR when this is the quality of gaming that bioware make!

Amen !

Finally someone else that thinks bioware make crap RPGs. I loved baldursgate but after playing oblivion and fall out it is impossible to play these linear type games. Shallow and shit they are.

Save your money for skyrim.

• Happyguy83Happyguy83 Member Posts: 264

Originally posted by Saorlan

Was thinking about getting this now that its cheap. All the bad reveiws kept me away as I was a big fan of Origins. It it worth 12 bucks ? and mods or patches make it better or is it just not worth playing at all ?

Yes it is great if you like completely linear games that lead you by the nose. You can not explore as there are invisable walls. Everything is instanced. The story could have been written by a 10  year old, the character are totally cardboard cut out.

Amen !

Finally someone else that thinks bioware make crap RPGs. I loved baldursgate but after playing oblivion and fall out it is impossible to play these linear type games. Shallow and shit they are.

Oblivion and Oblivion with guns suck without mods.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Dragon Age 1 to me was far better than DA2, however the price is well worth it for DA 2.

DA 2 in many players eyes was pushed out to fast to capitalize on the success of DA 1.

But I believe I got my moneys worth out of both games and still awating more DLC for DA 2 even though it plays more like a Action RPG that you see in most MMO's today.

• Blaze007Blaze007 Member Posts: 188

Bad game is still a bad game even if its price is reduced.

Although there are people saying that DA2 is "not a bad game", I never saw anyone saying "it is not a bad cRPG. I think buying it is only worth it if you like the whole "Prince-of-Persia-like" style of arcade gameplay of DA2 and do not expect the game to shine in its RPG-aspects (character customization, development, party management, itemization, exploration, non linear questing etc.).

It may be a so-so video game but it is piss-poor cRPG.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

DA2.... it really isnt a patch on DA:Origins, i think most of the sales of DA2 were based on how good DA:Origins was.. its actually hard to imagine the same company made both games... personally i'd wait for skyrim.. DA2.. i think its one of those games, you get it only if there really isnt anything else around and your bored.. i cannot think of any other reason to...image

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558

Originally posted by LisXia

There are pirated copies of DA2, and I do not think that DA2 is a bad game.  There are tons of bad games out there, much much worse.

You'll find most people's gripes with DA2 are all the cut corners (recycled environments, copypasted filler combat/waves, railroaded ending despite choices, the majority of instanced locations now being corridors, "psychic" fetch sidequests, gamebreaking friendship bugs until patch 1.03, and so on) that really make the game feel terribly rushed to a lot of people.

And that's before you get into their opinions about the artstyle, fast forwarded combat, dialogue changes, and companion/character development.

Then add that if you're a PC player, you paid more for DA2 than its prequel (at least in US, don't know EU prices off the top of my head) and lost the two PC exclusive features without gaining anything back in return (isometric view and the toolset for modding).

Originally posted by Saorlan

Amen !

Yes skyrim, how impatiently I am waiting for it.

That said, there is no problem keeping one or more games on the harddisk.  After removing WoW, I have enough space on my hard disk raid stack for a few more games :-P.  Diablo 3 is out and maybe I can try some Bioware games.

Now do not bother preaching that Bioware is crap view to me, I enjoy their stuffs enough to be willing to pay their fees.  I just downloaded Shadowbroker DLC and found it worth the money, short but really a change in landscape.  Just wish skyrim can deliver what morrowind did to us in the last decade.

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

Originally posted by nerovipus32

ive dropped stuff in the toilet thats better than DA2 DA2  truly is the deathknell for bioware, its all EA now.

Bioware from a few years ago would have never made a shallow pos game like DA2. the witcher 2 is a real rpg.

Funny, since to me  DA2 and Witcher 2 feel the same. Both are linear and heavily story based games. Which is better is subjective and depends upon your personal taste.

Originally posted by Vallador

Bad game is still a bad game even if its price is reduced.

Although there are people saying that DA2 is "not a bad game", I never saw anyone saying "it is not a bad cRPG. I think buying it is only worth it if you like the whole "Prince-of-Persia-like" style of arcade gameplay of DA2 and do not expect the game to shine in its RPG-aspects (character customization, development, party management, itemization, exploration, non linear questing etc.).

It may be a so-so video game but it is piss-poor cRPG.

It is not piss poor, a lot of people enjoy it.

I do, many friends do, many guildmates tried and also share this view.  If you have to use your own vision of a cRPG to rule out anything you do not like, you are cornering your own scope for entertainment.

You can watch a soccer and complain that it is not played like American football.  Soocers are piss-poor copies of American football.  Indeed.

Originally posted by Supersoups

Originally posted by nerovipus32

ive dropped stuff in the toilet thats better than DA2 DA2  truly is the deathknell for bioware, its all EA now.

Bioware from a few years ago would have never made a shallow pos game like DA2. the witcher 2 is a real rpg.

Funny, since to me  DA2 and Witcher 2 feel the same. Both are linear and heavily story based games. Which is better is subjective and depends upon your personal taste.

To me, DA2 has far smoother interface, in which I can get into the gameplay easier, much earlier and not bother with the interface.  I have to struggle with W2 interface for a while, and it remains a minor nuisance on and off.

The choice / decisiontree of W2 in Act 1 is good.  The storyline flows with what I do, feeling nice for a while.  Act 2 onwards feels short, abrupt and sort of anticlimax as I was expecting more.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Originally posted by Warmaker

OP, if you were asking about DAO for that much, I'd say it's worth it.  But DA2?  You wouldn't get me to download for free that sequel that's inferior to the first in every meaningful way.

Waste of money and time.  Save the money for something else.

Just to repeat what I said earlier image

What's funny about the game's reviews are that the official, big review sites have nothing but raves for the game.  But actual player reviews?  The opposite.

It's a piss-poor product that I'd be ashamed to even admit spending a penny on it.  Even if you look at it purely as a sequel, it still fares poorly.  If you look at it as an RPG, it fares poorly.  It was a huge, hasty cash grab by BioWare.

Now, $11.95 isn't much, but me, personally, I'd save that money towards something else more useful than knowingly spend it on a shoddy product.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• Distopia2Distopia2 Member Posts: 574

OP, if you were asking about DAO for that much, I'd say it's worth it.  But DA2?  You wouldn't get me to download for free that sequel that's inferior to the first in every meaningful way.

What's funny about the game's reviews are that the official, big review sites have nothing but raves for the game.  But actual player reviews?  The opposite.

It's a piss-poor product that I'd be ashamed to even admit spending a penny on it.  Even if you look at it purely as a sequel, it still fares poorly.  If you look at it as an RPG, it fares poorly.  It was a huge, hasty cash grab by BioWare.

Now, $11.95 isn't much, but me, personally, I'd save that money towards something else more useful than knowingly spend it on a shoddy product.

There's no need to repeat what you said, it's still there....

To SB fans, please stop making our demographic look bad.Stop invading threads that have nothing to do with sandboxes.

SW:TOR Graphics Evolution and Comparison

SW:TOR Compare MMO Quests, Combat and More...

• mmorpgbrommorpgbro Member Posts: 77

DA2 wasn't only one of the worst games of the decade, no, it also showed the true face of DLCware.

Aaaaand this is why you should not trust SWTOR reviews, after DA2 95/100 scores and "rpg of the decade", it's only logical to think they will buy more reviews.

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558

Originally posted by mmorpgbro

DA2 wasn't only one of the worst games of the decade, no, it also showed the true face of DLCware.

-BIG PICTURE(S)-

Aaaaand this is why you should not trust SWTOR reviews, after DA2 95/100 scores and "rpg of the decade", it's only logical to think they will buy more reviews.

Those reviews (the known ones, anyways) were removed shortly after all that came to light near release. So I think anyone attempting it now wouldn't find anything.

That was actually quite a bit of a scandal, with some players and fans outraged, others defending it or saying who cares, or that it was their right.

What I find interesting though is that a lot of the sites giving DA2 such high critic scores are giving Legacy terrible scores (below 60/100 in a lot of places). What's interesting (to me, anyways) of this is that the people that bought Legacy - even the ones that openly trash DA2 as many others do  - are saying Legacy is good and a huge improvement over the way DA2 typically plays.

It's a hell of a flip flop on both ends. 

• yodablazeyodablaze Member Posts: 234

DA is a great game and DA2 is a great game. Please note that neither game have much replay value but great story from top to bottom, linear though.

Anyone trashing the game may simply be upset that they weren't able to dl it for free. Not liking the game is one thing but the trash talk, lol.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181

Originally posted by yodablaze

DA is a great game and DA2 is a great game. Please note that neither game have much replay value but great story from top to bottom, linear though.

Anyone trashing the game may simply be upset that they weren't able to dl it for free. Not liking the game is one thing but the trash talk, lol.

I'd say they were both good games. Nowhere near great, but a solid, average RPG with a good story and charater interaction.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• crack_foxcrack_fox Member UncommonPosts: 399

Currently playing DA:O for the first time, and was looking forward to the sequel. But let me get this straight - you don't get to develop your own character, and the character you play is called 'Hawke'? Seriously? Is that correct?

Originally posted by Mandolin

Currently playing DA:O for the first time, and was looking forward to the sequel. But let me get this straight - you don't get to develop your own character, and the character you play is called 'Hawke'? Seriously? Is that correct?

Yes, changing the name does not really make it any more role playable.  To me that is.  Fact is your name never is spoken by the voice over, and it does not make you feel your there in the dialogue.  Why bother?  To me, again, that is.

The lacking in race choice does feel a bit restrictive, the inability to change armor of teammates is quite annoying.

The skill tree is cleaner and feels more "diablo" like than level 1-8 of XYZ skill thing.  I like it.

The animation is more "responding", giving us more fluid arcane like combat action, not as slow.  It is more action, less strategy, hence faster.

Graphics music, its a personal matter, try it on your own.

• crack_foxcrack_fox Member UncommonPosts: 399

Originally posted by LisXia

Graphics music, its a personal matter, try it on your own.

Thanks, but I think I'll pass. I appreciate that different people like different things, but it sounds like they've stripped out most of the things I love about Origins.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Originally posted by Distopia

There's no need to repeat what you said, it's still there....

It's called beating it into someone's face.

Repeatedly.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• RuinalRuinal Member Posts: 195

I recommended my guildies stay away from this one until they do a version with half a dozen dlcs included and price it at $10 / £10. DA2 takes a huge dump on everything that made Origins a good experience, yet in my eyes even Origins was fairly dumbed down from the likes of NWN / NWN2. I'm not getting suckered into pre-ordering DA3 no matter what bullshit they promise to throw in. Mass Effect to Mass Effect 2, generally changed for the better because it was mainly a shooter with rpg elements *not* a straight up rpg with shooter elements (however much they claim otherwise). DA to DA2, plays like an utterly different experience and so Bioware well deserve the hate of fans of the original.

I remember dodging a crap game by playing the demo of Arcania (Gothic 4 supposedly). I'd pre-ordered that shit but luckily caught the demo in time to cancel that crap. I *really* should have done the same with DA2, but didn't download the demo because I had every expectation it'd be DA:O but better... boy was I wrong. :(

• Hicks2006Hicks2006 Member Posts: 40

if you want to make DA 2 slightly more worth playing get a mod that removes restrictions so your mages can use swords. I hate that you cant use swords as a mage. i mean honestly whats stopping a man from grabbing a sword and lifting it or swinging it.

Originally posted by Hicks2006

if you want to make DA 2 slightly more worth playing get a mod that removes restrictions so your mages can use swords. I hate that you cant use swords as a mage. i mean honestly whats stopping a man from grabbing a sword and lifting it or swinging it.

Aye but as it stands there are far less mods for DA2 than DA:O.  In terms of replayability through mods, it is oblivion that wins in terms of choice.

• Hicks2006Hicks2006 Member Posts: 40

agreed actually for DA:O theres really only one mod needed. its on nexus its like all can learn all. So you can pick to be a warrior dalish elf and you can learn everything a warrior rogue or mage can learn. I got this solely because i hate starting in the mages circle and i hate having to rely on a rogue to unlock chests for me but cant cause they dont have the skill.