Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you feel about raiding? (Poll)

Comments

• RivalenRivalen Member Posts: 503

I love raiding.

I hate grinding raids.

Makes no sense to me...raids should be progressive, you beat a zone you move to the next, having to grind the same zone "x" number of times after beating it is just ridiculous.

• Caveat:  I hate tank and spank small number of enemy raiding.  I actually like PvE raiding that involves your large group versus many many PvE enemies with multiple waves etc.  Something like the PvE raiding in Global Agenda is pretty cool.

Tank and spank raiding is awful and end game itself is generally stupid.  Might as well call it what it is, they neuter the game to half its features and 1/10 of its content and give you a big ass carrot.  Its a pathetic farce.

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045

another terrible poll with no real choices.. what about i love raiding but cant be bothered with 24/7 raid grinding and being locked down to certain framerate every day..

• crazynannycrazynanny Member Posts: 173

Originally posted by Creslin321
    LOL I know for real.  Thanks for posting this.
    I don't know why some people here can't realize that raiding as an activity does not have to have anything to do with a gear grind.  It's just doing a dungeon with a large group, that's it.
    I personally don't like raiding because well...I don't like raiding.  It has nothing to do with the gear grind.  I just don't like the time committment and the organization required; it also makes me feel less important because I'm basically just a cog in a big machine.

Hmmm not really or at least my experiences differ. I don't mind raiding and having fun even with large groups. While I'd rather settle with bout 3-5 people, bigger numbers doesn't mean it's bad. My first raid was just like that. Pure fun, no experience, no strings attached, not even a mic to speak on vent and no gear to obtain.

But then gear gating(aka You have to get set from 1st raid to go to 2nd, etc.) came and suddenly, laid back and chilled people started actually care and got serious. About someone mistake that led to wipe, about someone not having some stupid potion and finally THE LOOT assignment. DKPs instead simple drop dead list, no alt rule, experienced only people rule. And it started to suck. Those were same people who told me, that they like someone new who'll mess raid to make it more fun. So I guess it was about loot after all.

Why? I guess it's exactly like You said: commitment, organization, more people wanting to raid than spots(and to few to make 2 full raids), cliches, some people just not getting along with each other. That + not heaving gear = being excluded from further content. And behold - let the drama(and 2nd job feeling) begin! And to think it was in mature guild full of adults. This experience put me absolutely against gear driven group content. More - look at WoW - You're just a GS number there for majority. People don't do it for fun, they do it to get gear, like in some zombie movie - moaning - purplez!

So again I'm back in casual small guild, but occasionally we do some raid, just for kicks. No one cares about loot or progressing further. We just go if there are enough of us online. And that kind of large grouping I don't mind at all.

So back to poll option. Do I like raiding or not? With no gear, just for fun - sure, I enjoy it. With gear progression - no, I hate it.

• Ralphie2449Ralphie2449 Member UncommonPosts: 572

One of the main reasons i dislike gamers

Raids require no true skill, its predetermined and scripted events that can be countered by a single program alone...There is nothing hard about it expect the devs and players which they call it "HAARDCOOAAR" so they can feel slightly better about themselves.

Only thing pve has is execution and if someone fails to press the button at a certain moment is mistake, and not doing mistakes doesnt make u skilled

The conclusion is taht if raids would exist and generally pve the mmorpgs would be very smaller community wise because people wouldnt be able to get the feeling of "success" or achievemnt(which in turn makes ones sad self feel better) for a not adequately justified reason. And most people would stay on their single player games where they will never truly lose and feel inferior.

The entire feeling of success and the feeling that makes you feel better about yourself is nothing more than a planted seed inside a game by the developer that tries to make u feel better to get your money. Sadly not many will accept that and instead will cover behind the obvious things saying i am talking about competitive game or they just have fun... FUN IS EXACTLY A FEELING THAT MAKES YOU FEEL BETTER yet everyone uses it....

And justified reasons for such feelings should only come when someone achieves something actually hard that requires THINKING and not following a guide of how to because even the most mentally challenged perosn can do something following guides... Winning a pvp combat due to strategy and placement of some characters is skill, winning because the enemy players are idiots and attack the tanks instead of casters in simply stupid not skill...

I hope at least some people understand why gigantic empty and fragile egos are bad

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Almost every user created poll on this forum has very poorly thought out choices, and this poll is a prime example of that.

I like to raid if all of the following is true: there is so much raid content that it would take many months to do it all; the developing company actively makes enough new raiding content to keep me from finishing it; the game is designed in such a way that the purpose of raiding is to engage in high quality, very challenging, dungeon crawling with large groups of people; the purpose of raiding is not gear grinding, status grinding, achievement grinding, or any other kind of ridiculousness; the PVE mechanics of the game are well designed and allow for skill and strategy to prevail; and the end game community is friendly and constructive, as opposed to elitist and jerkish.

Your poll isn't sufficient as it currently stands, since I only like raiding if those conditions are true. If those conditions aren't true, then the game better have some kind of other long term, satisfactory end game or else there is no point in playing at max level.

• crazynannycrazynanny Member Posts: 173

Originally posted by Wolfy2449
    Only thing pve has is execution and if someone fails to press the button at a certain moment is mistake, and not doing mistakes doesnt make u skilled

You're saying like in PvP every win was a result of perfectly executed strategy and proper reactions. But more often then not someone just made a mistake and You haven't. Not doing mistakes doesn't make u skilled - see what I did there?

But without nitpicking - PvP is more dynamic, more about fast reactions, yet human error comes from both sides. In PvE it's human error only on one side as AI is flawless, but less dynamic as You know what is coming. So more twitch based gameplay vs less. Each to their own...

• DominionlordDominionlord Member UncommonPosts: 180

i put neutral, i might raid to help a friend/guildy but i'm not a big fan of it. would rather have good content leading up to max lvl. more interested in non-combat things being done well.

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773

Tank and spank geargrinders never really appealed to me.

Lots of people seem to enjoy it which is fine. Personally I prefer having fun with a few friends instead of spending a lot of time trying to organize a 24 man virtual excursion based on mindless "rotations" and a set of specific roles. 

I prefer skillbased/organized PvP and a casualfriendly approach to storytelling PvE. GW2 seems to be the only real option for me within the next year or two.

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Until a game company comes up with a random dungeon generator for raids I am in the "hate them" category.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

I voted I disliked raiding but I would like to clarify something.

I don't hate the experience and story that goes into some of the raids nor do I dislike the challenge. Clearing out content and experienceing the lore is rewarding to me and if it holds a challenge, then that makes the completion all the sweeter.

What I don't like is the elitist mindset that comes over the people that concidder themselves "hardcore" raiders, nor do I think content requiring more than the regular sized group more of a challenge necessarily. The  "hardcore raider" in my experience has usually been someone who either doesn't have real life things going on, or no responcibilities that limit his game time and can afford to invest in the hours that goes into that type of content. This doesn't make the person who raids constantly any better than those that judt don't like the second life that one has to adopt in order to participate in a raid. While having a larger group does offer more options for raiding roles and niches for one to fill in the group, it does'nt mean the content should be held as the standard for what is difficult. If a game, GW2 for example, is able to give me a difficult challenge I can share with friends while actually enjoying the story of it, I am pleased. I don't need larger group requirements to make me feel like I acheived something

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• Ralphie2449Ralphie2449 Member UncommonPosts: 572

Originally posted by crazynanny

Originally posted by Wolfy2449

You're saying like in PvP every win was a result of perfectly executed strategy and proper reactions. But more often then not someone just made a mistake and You haven't. Not doing mistakes doesn't make u skilled - see what I did there?

But without nitpicking - PvP is more dynamic, more about fast reactions, yet human error comes from both sides. In PvE it's human error only on one side as AI is flawless, but less dynamic as You know what is coming. So more twitch based gameplay vs less. Each to their own...

If u read my post around the end i say that doing stupid mistakes like attacking a tank isntead of the caster(obviously oversimplidied example) dont make it any more skilled than pve. And i wouldnt say that pvp is always skilled, especially with the masses entering pvp and just pressing buttons to cast attacks. Most of the skill is gone mainly because of the slow paced gameplay were everyone has 10000000 health and 3 second attack animations so even the most stupid person wont die immidiately. There has yet to be a game where health is ultra thin, and attacks are quite deadly unless blocked successfully as well as giving the players a 3-4 cooldown teleport ability

But there are a few moments where players actually think and try to predict the enemy's movements or try to use the enviroment to their advantage to save them some time. And these moments are usually when both players have low health and know that a single mistake will kill them, at such a fight a mistake could happen but if you managed to drop the other player so close to death as well, then it is a skilled fight because both of you fought with everything you got before reaching such state.

Now perfect fights vs 2 players with low health are beautiful to watch, each one tries their best and the winner is the one who succeds simply because he played BETTER. I wouldnnt call not being perfect a mistake but i would call stupid things like activating all your teleport abilities from the first minute so the caster can kite you to death after that... That is stupid, being totally outmatched due to stupid mistakes that could be avoided if somoene had brains

P.s. the AI never doing msitakes hahahah, nice joke. The ai has been purposly nerfed to the degree that it is easily defeatable, even if it isnt easy all it would require is faster execution. AI is far from perfect, it tacticts are stupid and obvious so everyone can win him and there is nothing that requires thinking...

If an AI was truly hard it would require huge amounts of code for multiple strategies(no the boss casting a different skill than usual isnt strategy) that had as their goal to defeat the player instead of to let him win, it would be A TRUE CHALLENGE by the developer to the player, asking the player to use his brains to try to counter what troop placement the ai uses and what tactics like retreating for a trap etc he is going to use, the battle would be far bigger than a mere attack that group of mobs... But again i doubt there are many developers that can think something that good that could truly fool GOOD players.

There is no brain in the AI, and something that cant think doesnt deserve to make someone say that they are skilled or HARDCOAAR pros...

• SpectrumizedSpectrumized Member Posts: 48

I like raids, they are one of the main motives I have to hit end-game. Gear progression can get a bit tedious and grindy at points when that is all a raid is for. Having guild schedules sometimes seems a nuisance when it consumes almost all of your free time, but getting a group that doesn't work that way isn't impossible to find. Raids can seem to be just boring when the entire bossfight is planned out and the execution is just pressing a button at a certain time, but for the first raid(s) of each individual raid they are still entertaining to be a part of (Unless it is a game where each individual raid is the same boss with a different look and numbers).

The two things I want to do at the end of an MMO are Boss and play with others (Hence the second M). Raiding does both as grouping together with people to progressively move up from one raid to the next will always (Unless you are just PUGing) get you people you will become friend with, therefore raiding gives me both Bossing and Multi-Player.

• xBludxxBludx Member Posts: 376

For me, raiding should be an option in a game, but not the pinnacle of what it has to offer.

I have raided in a raiding guild just to see what it was about. To me it was not fun. It was choreography. You just know what you need to do and you do it. You work on a team with other people who are competent enough to do what they are supposed to do and you eventually succeed. Once you figure out the  puzzle, then it's easy to do.

I don't like figuring out puzzles. They are not fun for me. I never had any interest in Rubik's cubes, crosswords, etc. But some people like them and they like working puzzles out with others. I don't hate puzzles or people who enjoy them. I just don't want that to be something I need to do in a game to master it. Nothing wrong with puzzles, though, for people who enjoy them. image

The other aspects of raiding I don't like, aside from the game-play itself, is how people can get when fighting over  or bragging about loot. A LOT OF DRAMA. I don't care for it. And I don't like people linking up their epics in chat looking for ... I don't know what they are looking for. But maybe that's also how some people have fun, so whatever. If they are linking for informational reasons, that can be fun and interesting in terms of discussing aspects of the game.

Also, as others have pointed out, you spend a lot of time waiting, doing administrative and logistical stuff. Getting large groups of people together and organized is not fun for me. And I don't like being part of such groups. Look -- I have a job where I organize and manage people and I have worked as a member of an organization. To me, it is work.

I'm an explorer who likes some PvP action. I don't want to work, and that's what raiding is to me. But raiding itself is not a bad thing if it's fun for you. I want a game that offers different paths to mastery. I don't want raiding to be the peak of what you can achieve.

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

Love raiding. It is hands down my favorite part of MMORPGs. Yes it has flaws, yes it can become tedious after you have completed that raid for the 50th time but that first time fighting a new boss when there is no known strategy and your guild beats the boss after almost wiping multiple times but somehow you make it all work and defeat the boss brings a high I have not found in any other aspect of gaming.

I also think around here it has become trendy to bash on raiding. If you're not a hardcore PvPer what else should be the most sought after fun experience in an MMORPG?

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

For the most part I'm neutral. I can vividly recall I'd have a tremedous amount of fun but also drudgingly tiresome times as well. If only raiding had more mystery and was never the same encounter more than 10 times else I wouldn't feel like its the last thing I'll resort to in an MMORPG.

(not talking about raiding for the reason of gear grind here  but that the content is made to be repeated many, many times)

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

I am fine with raiding but i do it when i can. However, i think lots of posters didn't bother to read OP since he clearly mentions he is talking about raiding and not gear grind.

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214

Neutral on it. I'd LOVE to see an MMO hit the market that has raiding at low to mid lvl range instead, and have "other" features for high lvls...including some raiding I suppose. Would make raiding more appealing to most if it served purpose for later lvls.

Right now it's like, "Ok I have raided until my fingers and eyes are bleeding for the prettiest and best gear and have everything.......now what? Yelp, Guess I will make an alt or go gank lowbies. Sigh." No real purpose to it at cap.

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

Originally posted by Goatgod76

Neutral on it. I'd LOVE to see an MMO hit the market that has raiding at low to mid lvl range instead, and have "other" features for high lvls...including soem raiding I suppose. Would make raiding more appealing to most if it served purpose for later lvls.

Right now it's like, "Ok I have raided until my fingersand eys are bleeding for the prettiest and best gear and have everything.......now what? Yelp, Guess I will make an alt or go gank lowbies. Sigh." No real purpose to it at cap.

Once again, OP is talking about raiding as in grouping up with your friends for dungeons, what you get as reward is irrelevant. it could be WOW style raiding or GW2 style, gear stats or no gear stats doesn't matter. 

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

No option for me I think. I enjoy a large group raid to accomplish a goal. Doing the raid over and over in hopes of getting some gear is the boringest thing in mmo's to me and I won't do it. Raids shouldn't need to be done more than once unless you just enjoy doing it.

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214

Originally posted by Supersoups

Originally posted by Goatgod76

Neutral on it. I'd LOVE to see an MMO hit the market that has raiding at low to mid lvl range instead, and have "other" features for high lvls...including soem raiding I suppose. Would make raiding more appealing to most if it served purpose for later lvls.

Right now it's like, "Ok I have raided until my fingersand eys are bleeding for the prettiest and best gear and have everything.......now what? Yelp, Guess I will make an alt or go gank lowbies. Sigh." No real purpose to it at cap.

Once again, OP is talking about raiding as in grouping up with your friends for dungeons, what you get as reward is irrelevant. it could be WOW style raiding or GW2 style, gear stats or no gear stats doesn't matter. 

Yes, I know this...sorry I didn't word it exactly...but most players seem to only care about shinies these days too (From personal experience) and aren't interested in making friends.... They join a raid, roll for or get the drops, and instantly leave in most cases leaving everyone else to try and get out safely without giving the courtesy to stick around and see theyreturn the favor.

But you can do the same at low and mid lvls ranges as far as grouping up with and playing with friends AND have extra incentive of the items you get during raiding to still serve a purpose in your future journey's. To me anyways, that makes a big difference in the drive to raid between early game and cap when it is solely about grouping with friends and not to get "Hey! Look at how cool and successful I am!" gear..

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Personally, I despise Raids.  Nothing but huge timesinks and giant hamster wheels to keep players running.  They're designed and implemented for games where developers simply had no idea on what options to give players to do in a game.  This is most commonly applied to the dreaded "Endgame."

If I ask about an MMORPG about what's to do at level cap, i.e. Endgame, and the first common answer is "Raids" then I'm high-tailing out of Dodge.

Repeated raids over the same locations to slowly accrue points, gear, etc.

Raid centric play = Narrow, limited in scope gameplay

Unimaginative game design, really.  The only difference is the mobs in a Raid only really have massive pools of HP and apply massive amounts of damage.  Bosses?  Usually massive AoE damage.

/yawn

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• BrotheryangBrotheryang Member UncommonPosts: 174

For me i don't "hate" raids but i just dislike the way they are done in most games. You gather up your friends and go at it and while its a challenge at first Games like wow who have the same raids for 6 months at a time it starts to become a real bore. I wouldn't mind a raiding system that puts a few different types of fights per boss not just phase 1, 2 or 3.

I'm not sure if any game does that or not as i mostly play wow just to pass the time

I might just be asking for to much here

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757

Originally posted by Warmaker

Unimaginative game design, really.  The only difference is the mobs in a Raid only really have massive pools of HP and apply massive amounts of damage.  Bosses?  Usually massive AoE damage.

/yawn

If you say this, you haven't raided much.  This may apply to certain bosses, but I ve seen really complex bosses where everybody was extremelly busy doing tons of different things at the same time. I ve been raid leader in some games and having to coordinate a full raid when fighting some bosses has left me really exhausted. There's tons of stuff going on at the same time and you have to pay attention to everything.

• SlechtvalkSlechtvalk Member Posts: 33

raiding is in my eyes, a lot of more than bashing larger groups of enemies with more friends.

raiding, in wow i hated it, you had to give 120% every single raid, and if you havent done so, there were someone to replace you.

in all other games raiding was more fun.

yesterday inside lotro our raidleader made every explanation in character, which meant him to lisp, and we are not on a rp server. but it was fun. 10 minutes off laughing ;)

raiding means to me, not beeing 100% successful, but with the ppl i love and like. its a game, not work, and should be there for relaxing, not for stressing.

so whatever gw2 or swtor will do, i can get along as long the ppl around are the way i need it.