Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

3 Faction Combat (RVR PVP) Is Going To Be Awsome!

SineathSineath Member Posts: 224

Prime: Battle for Dominus brings back one of the most exciting and satisfying features to PvP!  They've just started Beta 1 and hope to be releasing in a few months.  I see this game as major competition to Guild Wars 2.

If you haven't done RvR, you don't know what you're missing.  Three faction fights are the way to go.  It keeps the game/server from being one sided.  If one side captures most of the bases, the other two sides double team them and knock them out.  This allows defenses to be more realistic because the fact is that 100 defenders can and will easily defend themselves from 100 aggressors.  Make it 200 aggressors swarming 100 defenders and you have an equal fight; a fight to remember.

The developers have had MUCHO experience with this type of game and created it from the top down instead of  based on the pve crunch.

I'm looking forward to this game.

Comments

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

Yes. yeeeesss.

And there are a lot of DAoC vets in the betas, if the official forum is any indication. Hopefully, the give good feedback to take the good, and drop the bad.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Originally posted by astoria

Yes. yeeeesss.

And there are a lot of DAoC vets in the betas, if the official forum is any indication. Hopefully, the give good feedback to take the good, and drop the bad.

Me too. Their next dev chat is in an hour http://www.ustream.tv/channel/pitch-black-games

• MurahMurah Member UncommonPosts: 41

This can't come soon enough.  I'm sick of arena pvp.

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810

While I love 3 faction open world pvp, saying that this will give GW2 competition is king of laughable.  I like your enthusiasm though.

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

Originally posted by ragz45

While I love 3 faction open world pvp, saying that this will give GW2 competition is king of laughable.  I like your enthusiasm though.

who says gw2 is going to be worth a snot? it probly be a good game but how good can a ftp game be? is gw2 even 3 faction pvp with open world pvp? an worth while harvesting and crafting system?

prime can be the biggest sleeper out there it is possible

Having played the demo it's the most fun I've had in the mmo genre in a decade.  It does indeed have a open world 3 faction pvp system similar to DAOC's.  But instead of 3 faction it is ServerVServerVServer.  Which will be easier to balance as they can pit similar population servers against each other.  (unlike daoc's system)  There are siege weapons, destroyable terrain and fortifications, and much more.  And a combat system that plays more like Vindictus than WoW, which is a huge stride forward.

Not to mention it has the budget to back it all up.

Having played the demo it's the most fun I've had in the mmo genre in a decade.  It does indeed have a open world 3 faction pvp system similar to DAOC's.  But instead of 3 faction it is ServerVServerVServer.  Which will be easier to balance as they can pit similar population servers against each other.  (unlike daoc's system)  There are siege weapons, destroyable terrain and fortifications, and much more.  And a combat system that plays more like Vindictus than WoW, which is a huge stride forward.

prime has  action based combat system 2.. but gw2 will br ftp so ill probly give it a try i try most mmos XD

• JostleJostle Member Posts: 63

While it's true there will be three "factions" in GW2's open PvP, it wil be a whole lot different from DAoC's system. For faction vs. faction PvP to work, there has to be a feeling of "us and them." Having a unique faction you belong to that has different races, classes, environments, architecture, music, items, abilities, etc. makes it feel like your home, and makes different factions seem alien and can increase that sense of enmity. More important, however, is the persistance in who you're fighting. In GW2 you'll switch enemies every few weeks. Getting to know your enemies and creating rivalries is just as important as getting to know your allies. Also, the absense of any instanced PvP will ensure constant action in the open PvP zones.

I'm sure GW2 will be a fun game. It looks like it has a lot of great features, particularly if you like PvE, action-style MMO combat, and instanced PvP, but it won't be a good home for people who want open, faction-based PvP.

Only time will tell, but I myself think that a LOT of old daoc hands will migrate to gw2 just for the WvWvW action.  And they reassess who you will fight every 3 weeks.  It may change or may not depending on population, activity, and how well each side does.  You may end up fighting the same people weeks after weeks, if your fairly evenly matched.

On top of that the buisness model is very attractive for a lot of people.

gw2 also has arenas.  Which means there's pvp in the game outside of open world pvp, which usually means the open world pvp stinks, because everyone joins the arenas.  Even if somehow the open world pvp still happens, it does mean that people that really enjoy player killing can and will go to arenas, again to the detriment of open world pvp. 

When all you have is open world pvp, you go make the magic happen.  You find the fights, you pick the fights.  Prime has only open world pvp, just like daoc was only open world pvp, and that is what is really drawing me to Prime.

Originally posted by Murah

gw2 also has arenas.  Which means there's pvp in the game outside of open world pvp, which usually means the open world pvp stinks, because everyone joins the arenas.  Even if somehow the open world pvp still happens, it does mean that people that really enjoy player killing can and will go to arenas, again to the detriment of open world pvp. 

When all you have is open world pvp, you go make the magic happen.  You find the fights, you pick the fights.  Prime has only open world pvp, just like daoc was only open world pvp, and that is what is really drawing me to Prime.

prime has arenas 2 but there mainly for lower skilled players  peole that cant go to dominus and theres nothing really to gain from them

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

Originally posted by Murah

There is no open world PvP in Guild Wars 2 outside of "World vs World vs World" which takes place in the mists, outside of the normal PvE world. This isn't because of PvE to PvP skill balances, it's because Arena Net's design philosophy is that you should never be unhappy to see other players while you're playing the PvE content, so everyone's the hero. This is to create a much stronger sense of community inside the game.

In the arena PvP areas, the affects of skills are changed for balance purposes much like the original Guild Wars.

World v World v World PvP stills supports extremely large amounts of players on the maps, possibly exceeding thousands and there's no limit to the amount of people who can join at any time during the battle. Just as well, World v World v World is also meant to create a stronger sense of community within the game. Arena Net wants to bring players together, instead of pushing them apart like some traditional style MMO's. And a lot of their features actively encourage that design philosophy.

I don't know much about Prime. I haven't even heard about it until yesterday, but it has piqued my interest and I'll be looking out for more news on this game as it goes further into development.  

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

A sci-fi subscription game releasing Q4 2011 up against SW:TOR sounds to me like a risky move.  Gaining hype and/or box sales against such a major competitor is going to be tough.

It's cool to see a top-down PVP design.   That itself is possibly its strongest selling point.  Most PVP I've seen (which isn't many, I'm not really a PVPer) seems to be a PVP mini-game tacked onto a PVE quest-grinder.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

Originally posted by ActionMMORPG

A sci-fi subscription game releasing Q4 2011 up against SW:TOR sounds to me like a risky move.  Gaining hype and/or box sales against such a major competitor is going to be tough.

It's cool to see a top-down PVP design.   That itself is possibly its strongest selling point.  Most PVP I've seen (which isn't many, I'm not really a PVPer) seems to be a PVP mini-game tacked onto a PVE quest-grinder.

Because PvP'ers, no matter if the PvP is done well or not, remains in the minority of players, and players PvE'ing in the game can instantly be put off if another players kills them while they're "questing" or doing whatever PvE content there is. image

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178

Originally posted by Serelisk

Because PvP'ers, no matter if the PvP is done well or not, remains in the minority of players, and players PvE'ing in the game can instantly be put off if another players kills them while they're "questing" or doing whatever PvE content there is. image

This game won't be going up against SWTOR... at least... not due to the time frame.  Its unlikely it will launch this year.

While most PvP focused games aren't as popular because they always put so many harsh rules tacked on to the PvP, people don't like the risk vs. reward. Its not likely we'll have that problem in PBD as theres no full loot, only resources.   

It will definitely be something *new*,  and not be so overly penalizing more people would be apt to participate.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Originally posted by Serelisk

*scratches head*

But every major mainstream mmorpg end-game is PvP.

• wyldmagikwyldmagik Member UncommonPosts: 516

My two pennies..

In GW2 get rid of the arena based pvp.. yup devs do it scrap it totally do it now...

If you get rid of this cruddy game play style of stat padding/rinse repeat consistency, you will make people work harder in a open world pvp environment style play which will "further" pull the players together to make things happen..

Leave in arena pvp and you can bet you're bottom dollar you will only see the majority of pvp being done there.. Arena's are done to death lets move on people..

In Prime:BFD I just hope its done different..

peace..

• RocSekRocSek Member UncommonPosts: 59

Originally posted by wyldmagik

My two pennies..

In GW2 get rid of the arena based pvp.. yup devs do it scrap it totally do it now...

If you get rid of this cruddy game play style of stat padding/rinse repeat consistency, you will make people work harder in a open world pvp environment style play which will "further" pull the players together to make things happen..

Leave in arena pvp and you can bet you're bottom dollar you will only see the majority of pvp being done there.. Arena's are done to death lets move on people..

peace..

The problem is, well not realy a problem, but lots of people like the PvP arena game style. It is one of the reason GW1 was so popular for so long. The fact they are adding WvWvW as well just makes this better. I however am waiting on Prime. Looks like its being we developed. Go take a look at their UStream videos, looks like things are being done right.

All I heard was... "Well aren't you just a little lolly pop triple dipped in psycho."

My two pennies..

peace..

qft

and there are plenty of games out there with arenas for the arena junkies.  There hasn't been a good open world pvp game in a loooong time.

• wyldmagikwyldmagik Member UncommonPosts: 516

i guess it is a hard choice for devs.

On one hand you got the "people play and pay with what they know has worked, or like" like  arena's etc..

Then you go and add world vs world or whatever its called and risk alienating those that wish to do mainly that style of pvp.. With the possibility of players going "hmm arena is still here i liked that best in gw2 i will go do that again" type of thought.

But I guess yes, remove arena's you could be taking a gamble with those players not bothering with the game at all....

Ugh what a brain ache for development :D

• JostleJostle Member Posts: 63

i guess it is a hard choice for devs.

On one hand you got the "people play and pay with what they know has worked, or like" like  arena's etc..

Then you go and add world vs world or whatever its called and risk alienating those that wish to do mainly that style of pvp.. With the possibility of players going "hmm arena is still here i liked that best in gw2 i will go do that again" type of thought.

But I guess yes, remove arena's you could be taking a gamble with those players not bothering with the game at all....

Ugh what a brain ache for development :D

It depends. With games like The Old Republic, Guild Wars 2 and other coming out and already out, it would be very hard for a company to compete with a game that has everything by trying to provide everything as well with a much smaller budget or a less recognized IP. Pitchblack Games are going the route of targeting a niche in the market. If people really want open PvP as an end game, TOR will have a lame version, GW2 will have a lame version, The Secret World will have a lame version, and Prime will have a version players haven't seen since Dark Age of Camelot, or not at all.

Prime won't have the population of GW2 or TOR, but it will have the people who want a meaningful open world PvP end game, as long as they provide what they're talking about. AoC and Warhammer Online had huge followings before release and they both claimed to have a focus on PvP and a PvP-based end game. It turns out that the players had been fooled, but if they had been provided with a great PvP experience, I'm sure those games would be doing much better than they are now, especially Warhammer.

I've been burned before by following games being developed, but so far the Prime devs have seemed pretty honest in what they want to deliver. They've said straight up that people who really enjoy PvE and want that in an end game will probably not find a good home in Prime. Ditto instanced WoW-style battlegrounds and arena grinding. I don't know why they'd clearly say that some people won't enjoy Prime as much as other MMOs if they enjoy one thing, and then deliver anything less than a stellar and meaningful open PvP end game: The kind that is not detracted from with PvE raids, instanced PvP, and gives you a reason to fight persistent enemies in a persistent world for limited resources to drive the crafting-based economy which will have to continuously be fueled.

• abadvirusabadvirus Member Posts: 5

Can't wait for this game!