Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Players May Be Able to "Create" Own PvP Servers

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

During an Interview at PAX Prime 2011, our staff got Colin Johanson and Eric Flannum to spill a few details on the PVP system in Guild Wars 2.  Not only will ArenaNet be making up their own servers for the quick and dirty PVP matches, much like the shooter genre's setup, but Eric and Colin said they are considering a plan for players to be able to "create" their own servers or games with specific rule-sets as well.

Stay tuned for more info on PVP and all things Guild Wars 2 when our presentation wrap-up goes live this Wednesday.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

Ah that so bad ass, and if we can put  password aswell or practice on a private server would be awesome,

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

oh ArenaNet how I love thee.

• drazzahdrazzah Member UncommonPosts: 437

Im sure youll be able to do that.... ive been waiting so long for a MMORPG to follow in counter-strikes foot steps :D

• WreckoniingWreckoniing Member UncommonPosts: 279

As sk8 said, id love to have the chance to lock matches, so i can strat with some mates.

• TyrxzTyrxz Member Posts: 329

*jawdrop*

scribble scribble scribble

• SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380

Originally posted by Tyrxz

*jawdrop*

This...this right here just happened to me!

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Totally unexpected (by me at least).  I doubt I will use this feature as I'm not a huge PvP guy but I still think its pretty awesome.  Go ANET!

• ArquitetoArquiteto Member Posts: 228

Wow. I really have been fighting the urge to drink the GW2 koolaid and join the masses in the excitement, but wow Arenanet is flippin amazing. So many features for just a one time fee. UNREAL. Give me that koolaid I am ready.

• ichihaifuichihaifu Member UncommonPosts: 280

Oh wow, this is really badass feature.

Hype up by few steps again.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

I hate this game!

Release it allready! Stop teasing !!!!!

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

Gw2 will truly become an epic e-sport!

• marganculosmarganculos Member UncommonPosts: 334

holy shiet O.O  awwsome

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

I hope by "hosting their own PvP servers" they mean they can host matches on the Anet servers and not a local client match like FPS's used to use.  That could be extremely hazardous.    Really interested in this feature.

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

It's interesting that Alexridiculous's GW2 PvP System video more-or-less pointed this out a while ago, but it was kind of speculation since there wasn't actual specific information to support it back then.

• GrimfernGrimfern Member Posts: 30

Originally posted by maskedweasel

I hope by "hosting their own PvP servers" they mean they can host matches on the Anet servers and not a local client match like FPS's used to use.  That could be extremely hazardous.    Really interested in this feature.

I don't see what would be so hazardous about that...

The type of pvp servers the public can host is the balanced "battleground" type. The game is b2p and you won't be using your own in-game (leveling) characters in this pvp. Or have I missed something?

• goouiegoouie Member Posts: 44

I hope Charr don't have a problem with poop sticking to thier fur, cuz I just shat myself. GO ANET

• apocalanceapocalance Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Originally posted by Skymourne

Originally posted by Tyrxz

*jawdrop*

This...this right here just happened to me!

and after seeing two jawdrops in one thread, my jaw dropped at the jaw dropping.. not sure how I feel about the news, I guess it's a good thing.

so...

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Originally posted by Grimfern

The type of pvp servers the public can host is the balanced "battleground" type. The game is b2p and you won't be using your own in-game (leveling) characters in this pvp. Or have I missed something?

I think he means in terms of having the server files made available to those 'hosting'. Personally i think they're using the term loosely and those doing the hosting won't be doing any of it locally or remotely outside of the the ANET bubble.

It creates a bunch of issues, such as lag, cheating, and disconnecting if players are hosting their own servers running a server host, whereas Anets hardware will likely be more stable, and give a host of options for rulesets without some kind of backwards modding going on or something of that nature.     I'm also not sure what character you'll be able to use,  but if its a hosted game on a local server, its unlikely you'll use your own.

I love the idea of hosted games - most of the time - but I've been in some pretty bad -nightmare worthy- matches from hosted games.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by SBFord

During an Interview at PAX Prime 2011, our staff got Colin Johanson and Eric Flannum to spill a few details on the PVP system in Guild Wars 2.  Not only will ArenaNet be making up their own servers for the quick and dirty PVP matches, much like the shooter genre's setup, but Eric and Colin said they plan for players to be able to create and host their own servers or games with specific rule-sets as well.

Stay tuned for more info on PVP and all things Guild Wars 2 when our presentation wrap-up goes live this Wednesday.

and MMORPG.com still awards Wildstar the 'Most Innovative' award?

Purleez....

Originally posted by Kabaal

I think he means in terms of having the server files made available to those 'hosting'. Personally i think they're using the term loosely and those doing the hosting won't be doing any of it locally or remotely outside of the the ANET bubble.

yes,  thats what I'm hoping on image

As long as its a match type fixed within Anets systems then it should be fantastic.

• DiovidiusDiovidius Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

I assume this just means hosting your PvP matches in the same way you can do that in FPS games and not as in hosting an actual server in the mmo-sense of the word. I hope people's expectations are not inflated because of the wording.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by Kabaal

I dont think they meant locally hosted servers..... they where talking about tournaments and matches.... that players can organise on the official servers.... Including creating their own rulesets...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• AbdarAbdar Member UncommonPosts: 400

I know it's been thrown out there before with other games.. but if there was a true potential WoW killer coming out, this is it.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

It creates a bunch of issues, such as lag, cheating, and disconnecting if players are hosting their own servers running a server host, whereas Anets hardware will likely be more stable, and give a host of options for rulesets without some kind of backwards modding going on or something of that nature.     I'm also not sure what character you'll be able to use,  but if its a hosted game on a local server, its unlikely you'll use your own.

I love the idea of hosted games - most of the time - but I've been in some pretty bad -nightmare worthy- matches from hosted games.

There is already software to help protect against cheating in servers. Many games use player hosted servers(which are really rented by players) to play pvp in fps. The stats and progress is the one thing Im not sure how they will handle, Im guessing they will only be saved if they are approved and signed player servers.