Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: The Secret War Experience Delayed

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Funcom, citing technical difficulties, has decided to postpone the first phases of The Secret World's beta sign ups. There is not any mention of when The Secret War will begin and when players can start signing up for beta access. We'll keep you posted!

Due to technical difficulties we have decided to postpone the first phase of the Secret War experience and the beta registration until further notice.

We are deeply sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused those of you who had taken time to visit our website on August 26th to sign up for the beta and take part in the first phase of The Secret War. We will be working relentlessly to make sure the experience and the beta registration are up as soon as possible.

Read more and check out the newly designed The Secret World site.

Thanks to Rohn for the tip!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SlechtvalkSlechtvalk Member Posts: 33

Well, i dont wonder after the Age of Conan release. Me and my friends renamed them into

No-Funcom...

• TorvacTorvac Member UncommonPosts: 135

ridiculous

• korvasskorvass Member Posts: 616

Shit happens, stuff gets delayed. Nobody needs to get their knickers in a twist about this.

• ThanesThanes Member Posts: 182

They were pretty quick to post the broken clock graphic on the webpage.  It doesn't make much sense to me but I'm just saying.

You didn't add the p.s.

P.S: The delay has also been picked up by the Council of Venice, who are already on the case!

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

A few of my friends are excited about this game in general, but Ive always been... but it's Funcom, maybe 6months after launch.

This kind of thing is why.

• RenkoRenko Member UncommonPosts: 97

If you have a look at their forums/facebook/twitter  you will see it hasn't been delayed at all, its part of the ARG (alternate reality game) they are running.

• Khaine007Khaine007 Member UncommonPosts: 37

As hopeful as I am about this game, Failcom is just showing how hopeless they can be sometimes.  I am not at all surprised that they can't even figure out how to do a beta signup and event without messing every aspect of it up.  And to top it all off, they were giving away beta access to those who spammed their forums the most.

I am still planning on at least giving this game a shot, but Failcom is not helping their image with repeated screwups to even a beta signup.

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Calling a company fail, just shows how badly you fail. Every Funcom game I've played was really fun and half way decent on launch, instead of bashing a company, we should encourage the developer to do a great job and for us to talk about different aspects of the game itself, and not claim that we or any other developer can creat a better bug free mmo.
  • Fir3lineFir3line Member Posts: 767

I dont see why you ppl are bashing funcom for this, if anything I aplaud them for taking the secure route and trying to make the game very presentable, if anything they only learned with their AoC bugfest launch.

"I am not a robot. I am a unicorn."

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Originally posted by Fir3line

I dont see why you ppl are bashing funcom for this, if anything I aplaud them for taking the secure route and trying to make the game very presentable, if anything they only learned with their AoC bugfest launch.

In my opion it is a good indication of things to come, and not a good one.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • TalthanysTalthanys Member Posts: 458

Rather they do this and get it right rather than reinforce their less than stellar reputation.

• phantiasmicphantiasmic Member Posts: 38

Originally posted by Renko

If you have a look at their forums/facebook/twitter  you will see it hasn't been delayed at all, its part of the ARG (alternate reality game) they are running.

This is what I suspect as well.

- I have played Everquest, DAOC, Shadowbane, WoW, Aion, Rift, SW Galaxies, Planetside and Guild Wars (all expacs)

• cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

Originally posted by phantiasmic

Originally posted by Renko

If you have a look at their forums/facebook/twitter you will see it hasn't been delayed at all, its part of the ARG (alternate reality game) they are running.

This is what I suspect as well.

If it is, it's an incredibly bad idea. Justified or not, Funcom has a reputation for bad launches due to Anarchy Online and Age of Conan. Other MMO failures and the success of Rift have really shown you need to have everything running smoothly in order to succeed with a new MMO.

If they wanted to do an ARG for beta access, I think that's a great idea, but spell it out. Say something like, "The Council of Venice (or whatever) offers this riddle to new initiates." It's obvious it's an ARG and people eat that up.

Now you've got half the people thinking it is an ARG and half the people thinking Funcom dropped the ball again.

If it is an ARG, then putting out a facebook message saying

"The Council of Venice has intervened and are delaying the start of the first phase of the Secret War by four hours. Stay tuned."

and then waiting 29 hours to follow it up with

"Due to technical issues, first phase of the Secret War experience and beta registration is delayed until further notice."

is really sending the wrong message.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

• floreairfootfloreairfoot Member Posts: 59

Well, which is it, ARG or not?

I'm confused now >_>

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Originally posted by floreairfoot

Well, which is it, ARG or not?

I'm confused now >_>

It wasn't an ARG. Funcom themselves said it was a techical problem on their forums and at PAX, the only people who think it is are those who have deluded themselves into thinking that way. I find it amusing the amount of people who think this is all on purpose, Funcom might be daft enough but EA know better.

• BlacksirBlacksir Member UncommonPosts: 28

@Renoko do u know to read ?

http://www.darkdemonscrygaia.com/showthread.php?t=20852

quote: Tarib "Senior Community Manager"

"Due to technical difficulties we have decided to postpone the first phase of the Secret War experience and the beta registration until further notice.

We are deeply sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused those of you who had taken time to visit our website on August 26th to sign up for the beta and take part in the first phase of The Secret War. We will be working relentlessly to make sure the experience and the beta registration are up as soon as possible.

We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Sincerely,

Funcom

Official announcement also on the TSW website

Oliver 'Tarib' Kunz

Senior Community Manager"

if u not undestend what is there then ok, make escuse for Funcom & say "this is not a tehnical problem & is a greath ARG" crap shure shure

@Aeolron if for u is fun to be cobai, gunie pig enjoy it ;) (i am speak about final release product not about beta stage product) aka see how it was AoC on first 1-3 mounth "very greath unfinish product"

@cali59 agre with u 9999999% ...

p.s. if to play a game, make a simple dam sing up (what not mean's to have 100% guaranted acept to be beta tester) u need to have fb, tw, forum & other crap place & make hours & hours research on diferite place to get that it is a good move then ok then enjoy u'r "fun"

all this mess what was hapend for a normal person with a normal neuron is perfect clear: "FAIL" i can undestend there was tehnical problem on a company what was never done a product like that at all & is a pioner in industrie but for a ... with history, with background, with experience from previos product came on face it ...

enyway we will see if time will rezolve all problem, mess done & houpe beter time & product will came on market

Originally posted by Aeolron

Calling a company fail, just shows how badly you fail. Every Funcom game I've played was really fun and half way decent on launch, instead of bashing a company, we should encourage the developer to do a great job and for us to talk about different aspects of the game itself, and not claim that we or any other developer can creat a better bug free mmo.

I'm a fan of Age of Conan, in fact, I still have an active account with it.  But to let the fanboy in you lash out with insults towards someone and their opinion is just silly.  Age of Conan didn't launch well at all, and is a major reason the game went Free to Play already rather than having a much larget crowd to begin with.  Funcom is, as stated, known for their horrible launches.  That doesn't mean their games don't recover and become good games, just that they have failed pretty miserably in the past for game launches.

I intend to play this game too, as I am intrigued by it and do still enjoy AoC.  But to screw up on your planned and announced beta registration and the event you had planned out to coincide with it, does not bode well for yet another game of theirs.  They may make the delays sound like they are all a part of the ARG, but in the end, it's Funcom, and it's technical delays.

As for doing a better job and making a bug free game that you seem to somehow infer that I said in my post, nope, I can't.  I'm not a game developer and I don't get paid to be one, but for those who do at Funcom, we'd expect a little work outa them.

• RenkoRenko Member UncommonPosts: 97

Originally posted by Blacksir

@Renoko do u know to read ?

http://www.darkdemonscrygaia.com/showthread.php?t=20852

quote: Tarib "Senior Community Manager"

"Due to technical difficulties we have decided to postpone the first phase of the Secret War experience and the beta registration until further notice.

We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Sincerely,

Funcom

Official announcement also on the TSW website

Oliver 'Tarib' Kunz

Senior Community Manager"

if u not undestend what is there then ok, make escuse for Funcom & say "this is not a tehnical problem & is a greath ARG" crap shure shure

@Aeolron if for u is fun to be cobai, gunie pig enjoy it ;) (i am speak about final release product not about beta stage product) aka see how it was AoC on first 1-3 mounth "very greath unfinish product"

@cali59 agre with u 9999999% ...

p.s. if to play a game, make a simple dam sing up (what not mean's to have 100% guaranted acept to be beta tester) u need to have fb, tw, forum & other crap place & make hours & hours research on diferite place to get that it is a good move then ok then enjoy u'r "fun"

all this mess what was hapend for a normal person with a normal neuron is perfect clear: "FAIL" i can undestend there was tehnical problem on a company what was never done a product like that at all & is a pioner in industrie but for a ... with history, with background, with experience from previos product came on face it ...

enyway we will see if time will rezolve all problem, mess done & houpe beter time & product will came on market

I'd suggest you look here: http://www.crygaia.net/wiki/Council_of_Venice_systems_malfunction

or here: http://www.facebook.com/#!/thesecretworld

or here: http://twitter.com/#!/thedarkplaces

Renko, yes, they are playing along with the whole vibe of the game and using some RP'ing, but in the end, read their forum posts.  They have stated that it was all delayed due to technical difficulties.  Not everything on the internet, especially in an RP game, can be taken at face value.

• BlacksirBlacksir Member UncommonPosts: 28

@Renoko some simple question for u:

- Who is Tarib ?

- From what place i set link ?

p.s. do u was sen moment when on fb Funcom personal was post same msg, what was write by Tarib ??? if u was mist that read agen info from up link & get on reality

if u are soo easy to mind control with think like that GL, i will gief u some other hint eny1 can build some site & set info there ... ALL WHAT COUNT IS INFO what u read on OFFICIAL SITE & CAME FROM OFFICIAL REPRESENTATIV PERIOD!

this: http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/secret_war_and_beta_registration_delayed

don't tell me is other joke make to be part from ARG, if yes i prefer to give up & doo other beter thing in stead lose my time

quote: "What eye see & ear hear it mean's misdirection" = SwordFish

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

QFT

I agree. I much prefer them to delay and get it right rather than trying to repeat the launch failures of their other games. I know it's in vogue to bash Funcom but come on, they shouldn't be bashed for this.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Originally posted by DJJazzy

QFT

I agree. I much prefer them to delay and get it right rather than trying to repeat the launch failures of their other games. I know it's in vogue to bash Funcom but come on, they shouldn't be bashed for this.

It could all have been avoided had they announced a delay for the beta sign ups before the counter hit zero. They must have already known that the company making the Facebook app for it wasn't ready and an announced delay would have caused less backlash than letting it get to marked time then delivering repeated "it's broken, we're trying to fix it" messages, especially as they advertised it so loudly.

I really like Funcom and what they try to do with their games but they have given off a certain air of unprofessionalism over the years that many of us now expect from them. Not that it'll stop me from trying the games they release as they are one of the few companies with the chance of pulling a rabbit out of the hat IMO.

• taulutussitaulutussi Member Posts: 37

I thought I registered for beta when I did the faction test months ago? 

• RinnaRinna Member UncommonPosts: 389

Funcom continues to be like the relative that you can never count on for anything.

No bitchers.

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by Blacksir

@Renoko some simple question for u:

- Who is Tarib ?

- From what place i set link ?

p.s. do u was sen moment when on fb Funcom personal was post same msg, what was write by Tarib ??? if u was mist that read agen info from up link & get on reality

if u are soo easy to mind control with think like that GL, i will gief u some other hint eny1 can build some site & set info there ... ALL WHAT COUNT IS INFO what u read on OFFICIAL SITE & CAME FROM OFFICIAL REPRESENTATIV PERIOD!

this: http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/secret_war_and_beta_registration_delayed

don't tell me is other joke make to be part from ARG, if yes i prefer to give up & doo other beter thing in stead lose my time

quote: "What eye see & ear hear it mean's misdirection" = SwordFish

Then you sir are way too narrowminded for this beta.

There has been numerous signs pointing that this was pre-planned(4 hour delay for example, with 4 being featured a lot before, as well arg materials churned out minutes after delay)

If you have been following tsw arg before (which you did not) you would know that this is perfectly in line with what has been happening in arg. 

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON