Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: PAX 2011 Panel

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

During last weekend's PAX, MMORPG.com's Carolyn Koh sat in on the Bioware / Star Wars: The Old Republic panel with several members of the dev team. During the panel, Carolyn shot a terrific video of eight players taking on the Eternity Vault along with developer narration. Read on!

We were also treated to a demo of the Eternity Vault, a high level Operation taking place on the planet of Belsavis. Earlier in the session, they had called for a show of hands for those in the audience that had had hands-on with the game, and then called for another show of hands for those had been playing for a while. “Never mind the NDA stuff.” Showing that open beta would not be far, if they were cavalier about the audience knowing who were in closed beta. They then called for audience members who had played specific roles to fill the Sith team that would attempt the mission. With the Devs vacating their stations and coaching from behind, the eight attempted the mission.

Read more of Carolyn Koh's Star Wars: The Old Republic - PAX 2011 Panel.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813

I'm thinking a early december launch with mid-late november pre-game.  Good luck to all in beta, polish her up.

• WhySoShortWhySoShort Member Posts: 315

I should have known they were trolling us by letting people think that GW2 had them beat. Still, there do seem to some bad ideas here, (why would you want to dress up as Obi-Wan?) and they all are born of that "living out your fantasies" line. Sorry, but this is an MMO, not interactive.. well, you know where I'm going.

Seriously, though, the game looks great, feels great, and steps up from the run-of-the-WoW gaming that some think is strangulating the genre. I say well done, BioWare. 

• ShamorauShamorau Member UncommonPosts: 181

"The team also confirmed that they were limiting numbers that could get into the game on the first two days of launch. These days will be reserved for players who pre-order the game"

So if u didnt pre-order forget about the game for the first few days huh?

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813

Originally posted by Shamorau

"The team also confirmed that they were limiting numbers that could get into the game on the first two days of launch. These days will be reserved for players who pre-order the game"

I would.  I think it is a good idea on there part as too many folks on launch just gets you pissed when the launch queue is 3 hours long.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

So if u didnt pre-order forget about the game for the first few days hu?

I always do. The last game I got into on launch day was LOTRO. Spent the biggest part of my time trying to find enough mobs to complete the "kill so many of whatever" quests. Launch day just isn't worth it. Its like trying to play a good game of football in a stadium the size of a closet. I'm more than happy to wait a week or so, so that by the time I get to play the lookie loos have pissed off to higher level areas or already quit the game they should not have bought in the first place.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• Fir3lineFir3line Member Posts: 767

Originally posted by Tardcore

I always do. The last game I got into on launch day was LOTRO. Spent the biggest part of my time trying to find enough mobs to complete the "kill so many of whatever" quests. Launch day just isn't worth it. Its like trying to play a good game of football in a stadium the size of a closet. I'm more than happy to wait a week or so, so that by the time I get to play the lookie loos have pissed off to higher level areas or already quit the game they should not have bought in the first place.

I love launch days, if it is well done it doesnt matter how many ppl you have there. I always rush ahead anyway, and play thro the night 48h flat for the first 2 days, so where I am there are few to fight over for mobs with

"I am not a robot. I am a unicorn."

• GondlyrGondlyr Member Posts: 9

"most player find the slider bar system of avatar customization very difficult and simply press the random button until they arrive at a character they like."

???  How is moving a slider difficult?  I have never clicked the random button in any game I have played.  Do the Devs think we are idiots?   I like my character to look a certain way from the choices they give us.  How long will I have to hit the random button before I get the correct hair color with the hair style that I like?  And then have it also match my other preferred choices?

I guess that is why they are giving the pre-order people a 2 day head start to create their avatar.  Yes that is being sarcastic, but its comments like these from a Dev team that irk me.

In most games I leave the face features alone and pick a face I want.  I don't mess with the nose size etc.  So just leave out the nose slider but keep the others in, using their example.

Waiting for Camelot Unchained

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673

Originally posted by Gondlyr

"most player find the slider bar system of avatar customization very difficult and simply press the random button until they arrive at a character they like."

???  How is moving a slider difficult?  I have never clicked the random button in any game I have played.  Do the Devs think we are idiots?   I like my character to look a certain way from the choices they give us.  How long will I have to hit the random button before I get the correct hair color with the hair style that I like?  And then have it also match my other preferred choices?

I guess that is why they are giving the pre-order people a 2 day head start to create their avatar.  Yes that is being sarcastic, but its comments like these from a Dev team that irk me.

In most games I leave the face features alone and pick a face I want.  I don't mess with the nose size etc.  So just leave out the nose slider but keep the others in, using their example.

I hate to have to say it but in my case they are right when it comes to sliders I tend to hit random until I see the features I like, in some games they then add a feature lock so if a certain feature I like pops up I will then lock that and continue to hit random until most features are to my liking.

• WiezardWiezard Member Posts: 158

They are not that wrong considering i do it all the time when i create my very first character.

• CarolynKohCarolynKoh Staff WriterMember Posts: 202

You can mix and match faces with hair choices / tattoos / facial hair / colors, etc.  It's not a forced "Random" only.

Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of MMORPG.com or its management.

• KuaidamKuaidam Member Posts: 183

Ha ha! Loved the audience. A lot more into the show than the one at GC.

About the slide bars at character customization, I too only move through the pre-determined options. And I just pick the combo I like. But to actually play around with (for example) eyes height, wide, eyebrows positioning, forehead deepth and everything else.... I just dont know about art, so I rather not desfigure my beloved toon.

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

The slider comment is based on date they have collected while doing beta's for this and other games. This isnt an off the cuff remak about sliders. They have the hard data to back it up.

I love how people assume devs just go oh we dont like that get rid of it when in fact testing gives them tons of data on tons of things and they use this date and feedback as well as if a feature works or doesnt to determine what they do or dont do.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

"most players find the slider bar system of avatar customization very difficult and simply press the random button until they arrive at a character they like."

Maybe i'm wrong, but I'm pretty skeptical about this assumption. Most MMO players i know spend a good deal of time customizing a character that they intend to use for any length of time.  I suspect their data is skewed heavily by players that are merely trying a game/class temporarily and therefore have no interest in the customization aspects of a temporary character.  Sounds like a copout to me.  

Although I do agree massive slider customization eats up a lot of CPU cycles calling up database queries for textures.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

So it's pretty much a headstart or early access program. That's pretty normal these days.

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

Its pretty much a "give us your money in front headstart thing" they are just asking for more and more preorders.

"no sliders because they are difficult" wow companies must believe we are all stupid monkeys pressing buttons without thinking about it. I call it PR crap, they don't want to spend time on a real character editor and therefore use the too difficult term for sliders...well Bioware if thats the way for you, this game will end up like a walk in the park.

Anyway we will soon see how their marketing crap will fare once the NDA is gone.

Huttball really Bioware, I mean, really? Imagine Sith and Jedis who hate is each other agreeing to Hutball?! Someone labeled them story nazis soo how does Hutball stack up with the story?

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• LisXiaLisXia Member Posts: 390

Originally posted by DerWotan

Its pretty much a "give us your money in front headstart thing" they are just asking for more and more preorders.

"no sliders because they are difficult" wow companies must believe we are all stupid monkeys pressing buttons without thinking about it. I call it PR crap, they don't want to spend time on a real character editor and therefore use the too difficult term for sliders...well Bioware if thats the way for you, this game will end up like a walk in the park.

Anyway we will soon see how their marketing crap will fare once the NDA is gone.

Huttball really Bioware, I mean, really? Imagine Sith and Jedis who hate is each other agreeing to Hutball?! Someone labeled them story nazis soo how does Hutball stack up with the story?

I wonder if Bioware is worried about their initial pre-order volume.  They have sold out all their Collectors, why would they worry.  They are trying to let players in by phase to stabilise the initial starter zones.  This looks like traffick regulation in face of a huge successful sales.  This does not look like going bankrupt running all out for more money.

No sliders, so big deal?  What else would you need to complain?  Excess animation that heats up your graphics card?

Huttball, an optional feature, and you need to talk and ramble and moan when you really do not need to join.  There are thousands of people doing things you do not like, do you need to talk forever?

This is a game, nothing bigger.  What do you want from a game?  What do you want, if you get worked up by an optional feature in a game that is not yet released?  That is how you enjoy games?  Good grief.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Well most games put the random appearance button in the game for people who want to use that option.  They also put the sliders in along with it so that people can dive in and customize their character in a deep way. 

Saying they're not putting sliders in the game means one thing and only one thing.  They didnt want to spend time on it.  Period.   Meaning more limited character customization.  What I read basically translates too, " We didnt care about having a deep character customization.  Too much work. "   Mass Effect, Dragon Age, etc had detailed character customization. 

Im really kind of surprised.  They've spent so much time, effort, and money on this game.  Is this really that difficult a feature to include?  Im starting to think they've wasted their budget on voice overs and story or something.  Im really not sure what the deal is here.  Darn weird if you ask me. 

But again my point is, yes, games with deep character custimization almost always have the random look button anyways.   Im just a little baffled here. 

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

Originally posted by Corehaven

Well most games put the random appearance button in the game for people who want to use that option.  They also put the sliders in along with it so that people can dive in and customize their character in a deep way. 

Saying they're not putting sliders in the game means one thing and only one thing.  They didnt want to spend time on it.  Period.   Meaning more limited character customization.  What I read basically translates too, " We didnt care about having a deep character customization.  Too much work. "   Mass Effect, Dragon Age, etc had detailed character customization. 

Im really kind of surprised.  They've spent so much time, effort, and money on this game.  Is this really that difficult a feature to include?  Im starting to think they've wasted their budget on voice overs and story or something.  Im really not sure what the deal is here.  Darn weird if you ask me. 

But again my point is, yes, games with deep character custimization almost always have the random look button anyways.   Im just a little baffled here. 

I think thats the point, they are running out of time and or money, therefore having to use stupid stuff like "sliders are too difficult" *lol*

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• LisXiaLisXia Member Posts: 390

I think thats the point, they are running out of time and or money, therefore having to use stupid stuff like "sliders are too difficult" *lol*

Apart from the "I think", is there any evidence that EA+Bioware is running out of time and or money?

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Sounds to me more like 'having 10-15 fixed nose lengths and widths' that are distinctive enough than 'having a sliding scale from 0-100 or 200' where you barely see the difference between 64 and 67, but where it'll still require more to compute and render stuff.

A lot of complaining in this thread (as usual), but will have to see it in action to determine how it'll work.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• esos24esos24 Member Posts: 34

Niceee :)   LET ME PLAY IT!!!

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

@last image

Why is Matrian Manhunter turned blue and now exist in a galaxy far far away

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• jedensuscgjedensuscg Member Posts: 209

Originally posted by Fir3line

Originally posted by Tardcore

I love launch days, if it is well done it doesnt matter how many ppl you have there. I always rush ahead anyway, and play thro the night 48h flat for the first 2 days, so where I am there are few to fight over for mobs with

Not to call you out, but this is the reason people always complain that MMO's are shallow, have no content and get boring after the first week, because they lose out on a lot the game has to offer when they "rush to the finish" without taking in the scenery.  2 weeks later and people are at end game and either quit because because of lack of other high level people to do content with or they quit because they feel that they hit max level and have already done everything the game has to offer.

I don't mind leveling fast with alts, but so often if i move to fast with my main, i realize there is a ton I missed that I wanted to do but focused "on that next level".  Just because a game is level based, does not mean the sole intent of the game is to throw some blinders on and focus on each level after the other, cause you end up hitting max level to fast and are forced to drag through end game far longer then you need to before the next content update.

I agree with staggering when people can get into release.  People who either did not preorder the game, or who just want to complain because it's all they can do, say it is just so Bioware can sell more preorders, etc.  I think they have sold plenty.  The truth is, the people complaing about this staggered approach would still complain if they did not stagger it.  Instead though they would just bitch that there are server queues or that there are to many people killing their quest mobs, etc.  A staggered approach is the ONLY way to do it.  It is pointless to start the game with more servers then you need, because it costs money to pay for the hardware, just so you can run empty servers until either numbers pick up or they merge two servers together, but if you don't have enough servers for the amount of people you could get you end up with insane lag or crashes or queues.  The best approach is to stagger when people can log in, and it's easier to control the flow and react with more servers or hardware changes.  And outside of making it a random determinenation on who has to wait and who can join on day one, using preorders is the best approach, as they know for the first two days at least how many subs they can expect to see and can pre-plan accordingly and get to see how the server structure will hold up, before the even bigger influx of players hit.  It's smart planning.

Now for the no sliders.There is NO point at all for sliders.  Give us 10-15 nose choices, and that is fine.  You can not see the detail in-game enough to justify having the ability to make minute changes to nose width, length, etc.  People again are just bitching to bitch.  Adding sliders so the small percentage that would actually use them IS a waste of time. People assume Bioware is just being lazy but i am sure Bioware is just not wanting to waste time and effort for such an under used feature.

• CannyoneCannyone Member UncommonPosts: 267

This part disturbs me...  "...and that most player find the slider bar system of avatar customization very difficult and simply press the random button until they arrive at a character they like."  I simply am Insulted that they imagine I'm so stupid that I can't use a "slider bar" system for avatar customization.  Seriously!  Someone at BioWare needs a really hard boot to the backside.  Making such assumptions is just WRONG!!!

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

Originally posted by Corehaven

Well said.

I may be in the minority, but I love character customization. Call me shallow, but it is a huge draw for me to a game, especially an MMO. It is what suckered me in to try Aion, EVE and AoC. The reason why I enjoy RIFT so much is that my character looks -a lot- like the way I wanted it to look, like me.

Character customization not only helps players add a personal touch, but is great for immersion and RP (in the MMORPG if people forget).

I love going in, and making intricate changes... that alter the face and really make the character my own! I can literally spend HOURS on a game's character creation screen. I have been known to level a character and delete him 10 levels later because his nose didn't look right. In Dragon Age, I have spent hours creating a character and deleteing him the instant I entered the game because he did not match my standards. Call me crazy, shallow, homosexual - I don't care. I have insane fun doing it. So this news is a tad disappointing.

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.