Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Best of PAX Prime 2011

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

PAX Prime is one of the final US games conventions and we had a team of boots on the ground. At the conclusion of PAX Prime, the team met to talk about their favorite games and compiled a 'best of' list for MMORPG.com. See which games took our top honors in Best of PAX Prime 2011.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DiovidiusDiovidius Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

SWTOR beat GW2 at PvP and WildStar beat GW2 at innovation? Really?! Other than that though, I agree.

• Fir3lineFir3line Member Posts: 767

Originally posted by Diovidius

SWTOR beat GW2 at PvP and WildStar beat GW2 at innovation? Really?! Other than that though, I agree.

Well they gave 1# in pvp for star wars just because it was the main focus of the game, while GW2 was more broad, still we had the pvp matches in GW2 between multiple teams in a ladder to go agaisnt arenanet....

They had to fit SW in there I suppose

"I am not a robot. I am a unicorn."

• WhySoShortWhySoShort Member Posts: 315

I certainly hope Turbine doesn't let LoTRO's bright prospects in spite of its age go to their heads... Oh yeah, too late.

I really am looking forward to seeing how all of these games turn out. The MMO genre has a bright future yet with titles like GW2 and SWTOR on the horizon. Not to mention WildStar, which looks just screwed up enough to be genius. 

• claytosclaytos Member Posts: 177

they can't give all the awards to the same game.

• DiovidiusDiovidius Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Originally posted by claytos

they can't give all the awards to the same game.

I realize that but PAX is only the second time we've seen any PvP from GW2 at all (the first time being a week ago at Gamescom) so I'd say GW2's presence was also very much about PvP. The above article only talks about GW2's PvE which is quite strange.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

"Why hasn't this been done before?"

Because players want to be Luke Skywalker and not Unlce Owen? At least that seems to be what most of these F-tarded game companies believe these days anyway.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• ZibooZiboo Member UncommonPosts: 158

Glad to see LoTRO still on the list, and do believe we're fortunate to have such a variety of games coming down the pike.  Will they be as good as the hype - I surely hope so.

Proud member of Hammerfist Clan Gaming Community.

Currently playing: RIFT, EQ2, WoW, LoTRO
    Retired: Warhammer, AoC, EQ
    Waiting: SWToR & GW2

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Originally posted by Diovidius

I think they decided to give some awards away from GW2 to keep variety

Hence the loosers rejoyce....

• Blaze007Blaze007 Member Posts: 188

They just gave one award to every game to not offend any of the precious advertisers... Fraudulent business, those awards don't mean shit. Just a lure fore drones to click the page and increase the view count.

That what this is all about, have no illusions. 

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Originally posted by Vallador

They just gave one award to every game to not offend any of the precious advertisers... Fraudulent business, those awards don't mean shit. Just a lure fore drones to click the page and increase the view count.

So true

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

Originally posted by Vallador

Relevance?

• KrellenKrellen Member Posts: 84

GW2 one BEST IN SHOW.  You know the top award.  So calm down that other games won some of the lesser awards. 

It is not all a fraudaluent conspircacy.  If you believe that why click on the article to increase the views to begin with?

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

I'd weep for the PvP award had GW2 not won Best of Show, but I guess awards had to be distributed fairly so that's alright.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • ichihaifuichihaifu Member UncommonPosts: 280

"Best of Show" should have been shinier award.

• Short-StrawShort-Straw Member Posts: 422

Perhaps the spreading out of the awards is an indicator that the Great Game Drought is coming to an end. Since I wasn't there, just have to go off the impressions of somebody else. Much more likely to pay attention to Mr. Murphy then soom random internet dude, "SW;ToR was freaking wicked, it totally wrecked!".

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

At lot of titles to keep an eye on.  Was Firefall even at PAX this year?  I would have thought them a real contender for best PvP.

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

GW2 did not deserve "best in show" sad to say, they revealed absolutely nothing new and should not get an award just for showing up.

I also fail to see yet why TSW receives so much attention in claiming it is anticipated because I wouldn't notice if it got canceled personally. 

• SBE1SBE1 Member UncommonPosts: 340

SWTOR developer said (on the video they posted recently) that the end game was primarily focused on running operations, which is PvE raiding.  I'm sure they showed off PvP, but not sure how that can be balanced between force using players and non-force using players. 

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

I won't even bother going into the list of reasons SWTOR didn't deserve the pvp award because it should be a no-brainer.

• made9made9 Member Posts: 20

GW2 PVP >>>> SWTOR PVP  

simple

• NazgolNazgol Member Posts: 864

Originally posted by made9

GW2 PVP >>>> SWTOR PVP  

simple

Says who? Adding >>>>> does not make it fact and is a matter of opinion.

In Bioware we trust!

• Fir3lineFir3line Member Posts: 767

Originally posted by Nazgol

GW2 PVP >>>> SWTOR PVP  

simple

I haven't played neither of them. But I'd be willing to bed GW2 PvP will be better than TOR, you see, this is one of the main focus of the game, the fact that it is skill based in battlegrounds, instead of having gear for PvP and PvE set appart is enuff reason to put it on top of TOR's pvp

"I am not a robot. I am a unicorn."

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

Originally posted by Czanrei

GW2 did not deserve "best in show" sad to say, they revealed absolutely nothing new and should not get an award just for showing up.

I also fail to see yet why TSW receives so much attention in claiming it is anticipated because I wouldn't notice if it got canceled personally. 

Lolwut?

They showed all the content they showed at Gamescom which was a lot of new stuff, including character customization, sparkfly fen + Tehquatl the Sunless boss event, Charr starting area, Asura and Sylvari gameplay, and most important of all would probably be their big eSport showing of the 5v5 tournaments on the "Battle of Kyhlo" map.

Not to mention some panel reveals exclusive to PAX on how the guild system would work.

It's the same demo they showed for Gamescom, of course. That goes for all the games though.

Guild Wars 2, in my opinion, definitely deserved Best of Show because they came out swinging with a lot of new content availability and large feature showings like the PvP tournament casted by DJWheat.

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

Originally posted by Czanrei

I won't even bother going into the list of reasons SWTOR didn't deserve the pvp award because it should be a no-brainer.

You must have missed it but the open world PVP stuff for SWTOR looks very cool. They did ALSO show eternity vault which is PVE Raiding, they also showed two Warzones (Huttball and Alderan) which are pure PVP.  Here is a clip.

GW2 looks great but SWTOR really took over PAX with massive seven hour lines to play the game. The Open world PVP/ RVR lakes on a huge planet will be great fun.

http://www.askajedi.com/2011/08/28/pax-2011-open-world-pvp-announced/

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by Fir3line

Originally posted by Nazgol

GW2 PVP >>>> SWTOR PVP  

simple

I haven't played neither of them. But I'd be willing to bed GW2 PvP will be better than TOR, you see, this is one of the main focus of the game, the fact that it is skill based in battlegrounds, instead of having gear for PvP and PvE set appart is enuff reason to put it on top of TOR's pvp

SWTORs PvP is not "gear based".  You can wear your PvE gear for PvP, in comparison to the top PvP gear, they only receive a 10% increase in stats associated to PvP.  PvP is based around class builds and team tactics in SWTOR.