Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Information

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Every character can be memeber of more then one guild, guildmemberships are account bound. You can change your current guild on the fly, you only get access to the guild that is active, there can be only one guild active. So you could have sepperate guilds for PvP, RP, PvE endgame WvWvW...

You only get access to the guildbenefits of  your active guild, also you can only have access to the guildchat of that active guild.

For your active guild you can earn influence, The guild can spend that influence on things like flags that give XP bonusses to members, but also guildvaults and such. In WvWvW this guildinfluence can be used to take a keep and to strengthen its defenses.

Source : http://www.youtube.com/user/burnsteadlily#p/u/2/7YEbCZg3L1k

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Seems a little clunky. I'm fine with guild access being granted to an account, rather than a player, but it seems disruptive to have to change the active guild manually, rather than having a preference set for each character. I hope we will at least be able to make the change right from the character select screen, so we won't have to be popping in and out of guilds once the character is loaded up.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• jezvinjezvin Member UncommonPosts: 804

I absolutly love this it's like FFXI's linkshell system.

This seems to be the only game that has ever looked at some of the amazing systems that are in ffxi and adopted them for their game I really can't wait for this game.

-------------------------------------------------
    Achiever 20.00%, Explorer 86.67%, Killer 60.00%, Socializer 33.33%

EKSA
    -------------------------------------------------

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

Originally posted by fiontar

Seems a little clunky. I'm fine with guild access being granted to an account, rather than a player, but it seems disruptive to have to change the active guild manually, rather than having a preference set for each character. I hope we will at least be able to make the change right from the character select screen, so we won't have to be popping in and out of guilds once the character is loaded up.

They never said anything about having to reset the guild you are representing everytime you move to a different character so how do you even know that is a problem?

This is not a game.

• Dev_NightsDev_Nights Member Posts: 67

Bare in mind that this is still under trial and nothing has been finalized yet. So certain aspects are likely to changed or be tweaked. Remember what happened about Energy? Need I say more?

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Dev_Nights

Bare in mind that this is still under trial and nothing has been finalized yet. So certain aspects are likely to changed or be tweaked. Remember what happened about Energy? Need I say more?

I dont think that things like this are going to change, ..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

I could see them tweaking how you can change guilds at the drop of a hat. They still haven't confrimed how many guilds you can be apart of. Also with all the Guild Reputation point thing is going to be edited no doubt.

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

I could see them tweaking how you can change guilds at the drop of a hat. They still haven't confrimed how many guilds you can be apart of. Also with all the Guild Reputation point thing is going to be edited no doubt.

They said they're still working on it, so.. that being said, it seems pretty obvious to me that these things are subject to change and that this fact didn't need to be said ^_-

Also, I think it's "bear". Bare is a verb, meaning to strip of clothing. o.o

• mafia514mafia514 Member Posts: 148

i like the fact that transmutation stones will be avaible to buy with Karma points (thought it was only going to be in cash store)

Some people will take an idea and run with it. Some people may need a little reminder.  Also it is bear, whoops!

• My take on the Guild info:

You can only be in one guild CHAT at a time per Eric F.  That bothers me - let me have some, none, or all of my guild chats open at a time.

Otherwise I like the tidbits on guiilds that were released and am looking forward to the Guild Reveal week.  I'm can foresee joining a WvWvW guild, a PVE guild, a crafting guild, and an Explorer's guild.  I expect my husband will be thrilled that he can be in our PVE guild and a PVP guild at the same time (will make his life much easier, in game wife aggro can be messy :) ).

One thing this info highlighted for me that I knew before but didn't quite grasp the full ramifications of - an account must be tied to one server for WvWvW to work.  Which means all of your alts are on one server (yeah it's obvious, but as someone who occasionally hides on other servers to play in peace and quiet it just dawned on me that my normal alt behavior will change - understand I don't participate in a lot of PVP but I participate in a lot of chatting).

For those worried about not being able to enforce commitment (as in the hardcore guilds) I believe you will be able to tell easily based on influence (the GW2 guild currency) on who is participating and how much they are participating.  I'm hoping that there is more than PVP and Storage rewards for guild leveling.  Would be nice to be able to belong to niche guilds for particular purposes that can go after rewards that help those puposes.

Originally posted by mafia514

i like the fact that transmutation stones will be avaible to buy with Karma points (thought it was only going to be in cash store)

They were going to make it available both in-game and in the store but then they decided they'd just give it in-game only.

This is not a game.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

I'm not sure I like the guild system. I feel guild loyalty should be a consideration when you are part of a group, and being able to be part of multiple guilds doesn't seem like a good choice in that regard.

On the other hand, I also have a number of people who have characters in my guild, and characters in one of their best friends guilds, they have to make a choice who to put where, and with this type of a system, it's just a matter of them hitting a switch more or less.

I can see the pros and cons, but I guess I'll need more information to really make a true judgement.

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

Originally posted by jezvin
    I absolutly love this it's like FFXI's linkshell system.

This seems to be the only game that has ever looked at some of the amazing systems that are in ffxi and adopted them for their game I really can't wait for this game.

What he said. It definitely reminds mind of using the linkshells in FFXI.

BOOYAKA!

• DubhlaithDubhlaith Member Posts: 1,012

That's one thing I really didn't like about GW1. Guilds should be player-based, end of discussion as far as I am concerned. As long as there are reasons that people have to keep guilds separate or keep some characters "private," this is a bad idea. If you want all your characters in the same guild, you can do that. Not to mention the sort of loyalty that fosters when you have to be in one guild.

I always have at least one character that the one I play when I don't want to talk to people or deal with others. They are a loner character and don't generally interact.

This is the first thing that seems wrong and just, frankly, bizarre form Anet in GW2. There were many things I didn't like GW1, and this sort of idea was a big one. But, everything I have seen in practice in GW2 is fantastic, so I think I will give them the benefit of the doubt on this one, until I see it in practice.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true — you know it, and they know it." —Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

WTF? No subscription fee?

• sidhaethesidhaethe Member Posts: 861

Originally posted by Dubhlaith

That's one thing I really didn't like about GW1. Guilds should be player-based, end of discussion as far as I am concerned. As long as there are reasons that people have to keep guilds separate or keep some characters "private," this is a bad idea. If you want all your characters in the same guild, you can do that. Not to mention the sort of loyalty that fosters when you have to be in one guild.

I always have at least one character that the one I play when I don't want to talk to people or deal with others. They are a loner character and don't generally interact.

This is the first thing that seems wrong and just, frankly, bizarre form Anet in GW2. There were many things I didn't like GW1, and this sort of idea was a big one. But, everything I have seen in practice in GW2 is fantastic, so I think I will give them the benefit of the doubt on this one, until I see it in practice.

From what I have read, you will also have the option to show "no" guild tag, for those times you want to be left alone. So, yes, your character might automatically be a member of xyz guild, but you don't have to be "on" for any of them if you choose not to.

Originally posted by sidhaethe

Originally posted by Dubhlaith

From what I have read, you will also have the option to show "no" guild tag, for those times you want to be left alone. So, yes, your character might automatically be a member of xyz guild, but you don't have to be "on" for any of them if you choose not to.

Yea, just like Sid said. Also they won't see you online if you decided to not represent anyone. I'm guessing the only way they can see you online is if they have you on their friend list.

This is not a game.

Originally posted by Zeroxin

They never said anything about having to reset the guild you are representing everytime you move to a different character so how do you even know that is a problem?

Sorry, I thought what I meant was implicit in my post and since I'm trying to cut down on walls of text posts, I didn't spell everything out. :)

The system won't matter for people who are only in one guild. That's a given.

Who will it matter for? People who want different guilds for different focus or to play with different groups of friends. When ever I have had characters in a different guild from my main character, it's usually because I wanted to play an alt away from the time demands put on me by a guild I'm very active in.

So, let's say I have a couple characters in a very high achievment oriented guild where there is pressure to spend most of your play time with guild mates. To be able to take a break from that, I also have an alt in a low pressure guild that offers a friendly social environment. Under this system, my account can belong to Guild A and Guild B, but only one can be active at a time. So, let's say my high achievment character is Alpha and my casual character is Beta. I've been playing Alpha with Guild A active, but need a break. I log in Beta, but since Guild A is active, all the players in guild A will see this character named Beta and either wonder "who the heck is that", or maybe they have figured out it's Alpha's alt. Now I've got to say "Sorry guys, just logging in to go play in another guild for a while, see ya' later". Then I toggle my active guild, go to play with my casual guild and leave my Achievment oriented guild mates wondering why I'm snubbing them!

Awkward and clunky. Sometimes you don't want all the members of your primary guild to know you are playing another character, in another guild, so that occassionally you can "get away" from them for a bit. :)

If you can at least change the active guild from the character select screen, you can always enter the game with the appropriate guild for a particular character active, rather than having to give one guild "the brush off" to spend some time with another guild!

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• Fir3lineFir3line Member Posts: 767

you are a wierd person, anyway there seems to be an option, switch guild before logging Beta, they prolly just see you go offline

"I am not a robot. I am a unicorn."

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Every character can be memeber of more then one guild, guildmemberships are account bound. You can change your current guild on the fly, you only get access to the guild that is active, there can be only one guild active. So you could have sepperate guilds for PvP, RP, PvE endgame WvWvW...

You only get access to the guildbenefits of  your active guild, also you can only have access to the guildchat of that active guild.

This is awesome news! It is one of the  things I dared not to hope I'll see in GW2!

One of the pet peeves I had with the way standard MMO guilds work is that I couldn't be member of more than one guild at a time. For example, I really like to play with my close RL friends and I enjoy the feeling of being in a tight-knit "elite" guild of fun-loving loosers. On the other hand, being a part of a large guild has it's benefits, especially meeting new people you can recruit into your "elite loosers" private guild.

This is great! it's one of the things I kinda lost hope I'd ever see improved in mmos. Way to go ANet!

p.s. the only thing i'd improve is to be able to have more than one guild active at a time. Let's get real folks, guilds are basically permanent private chat channels for people who play together. There is no reason to have only one such channel active at a time. For example, you could have a massive guild called "The army of X" with sub-guilds equivalent to mercenary regiments. In such a case it would be absolutely necessary to have both the "army" and the "regiment" guilds active at the same time. I hope they reconsider this "only one guild active at a time" thing... at least with respect to chat channels.

Originally posted by Fir3line

you are a wierd person, anyway there seems to be an option, switch guild before logging Beta, they prolly just see you go offline

If you've never been active in a guild that sometimes makes playing the game seem more like a job than something to relax and have fun at, you probably just can't relate! Or maybe you just have never lived a life where other people put a lot of demands on your time and resources? :)

I don't think it's that wierd to sometimes want to compartmentalize your MMO game play.

It's already better than GW1, I just hope control over the active guild is convenient.

• Fir3lineFir3line Member Posts: 767

Originally posted by Fir3line

If you've never been active in a guild that sometimes makes playing the game seem more like a job than something to relax and have fun at, you probably just can't relate! Or maybe you just have never lived a life where other people put a lot of demands on your time and resources? :)

I don't think it's that wierd to sometimes want to compartmentalize your MMO game play.

It's already better than GW1, I just hope control over the active guild is convenient.

I've been in an hardcore guild in WoW for a long time, I had to go to the raids, but appart from that I could do whatever I wanted.

Its just the initial patch anyway, after all the content is cleared (1-2months tops) I don't even have to raid if I got the gear for next tier ready already(which usually comes after 6-8 months of me being fully geared).

Truth be told tho, I've never been in a guild that forced me to play with them, be it raids or dungeons or wtv. They sometimes ask for help, but that as far as it goes, and I can answer whatever I want to

"I am not a robot. I am a unicorn."

• DubhlaithDubhlaith Member Posts: 1,012

Originally posted by Zeroxin

Sorry, I thought what I meant was implicit in my post and since I'm trying to cut down on walls of text posts, I didn't spell everything out. :)
    The system won't matter for people who are only in one guild. That's a given.
    Who will it matter for? People who want different guilds for different focus or to play with different groups of friends. When ever I have had characters in a different guild from my main character, it's usually because I wanted to play an alt away from the time demands put on me by a guild I'm very active in.
    So, let's say I have a couple characters in a very high achievment oriented guild where there is pressure to spend most of your play time with guild mates. To be able to take a break from that, I also have an alt in a low pressure guild that offers a friendly social environment. Under this system, my account can belong to Guild A and Guild B, but only one can be active at a time. So, let's say my high achievment character is Alpha and my casual character is Beta. I've been playing Alpha with Guild A active, but need a break. I log in Beta, but since Guild A is active, all the players in guild A will see this character named Beta and either wonder "who the heck is that", or maybe they have figured out it's Alpha's alt. Now I've got to say "Sorry guys, just logging in to go play in another guild for a while, see ya' later". Then I toggle my active guild, go to play with my casual guild and leave my Achievment oriented guild mates wondering why I'm snubbing them!
    Awkward and clunky. Sometimes you don't want all the members of your primary guild to know you are playing another character, in another guild, so that occassionally you can "get away" from them for a bit. :)
    If you can at least change the active guild from the character select screen, you can always enter the game with the appropriate guild for a particular character active, rather than having to give one guild "the brush off" to spend some time with another guild!

This is pretty much what I wanted to say, but apparently didn't articulate it well enough.

Frankly, I don't see how this could be a good idea, and if it works like it seems like it would, it will be incredibly annoying and frustrating.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true — you know it, and they know it." —Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

WTF? No subscription fee?

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

It's called "dealing with it". If your guildmates can't handle that... well, it's their thing.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.