Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The sidekick system

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

This system allows you to play with much higher or lower friends as you are automatically transfered down in level ... and you can enjoy their adventours and still keep them challenging.

On the other hand this system prevents High level adventurers from disrupting low level content... they can't walk intoo low level area's and ruin the challenge for the low level players..

Is there a downside to this system ?

Yes there is, no more powerleveling your friends through content.... offcourse thats only a downside for people that want to cheat the system.

Whats your opinion on the sidekick system?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• DiovidiusDiovidius Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

I know there are quite a lot of people who hate it because they think you should be able to one-shot low level monsters if you have a high level character, that's part of the feeling of progression according to them.

Personally I love it. It keeps lower level content relevant even if you have a higher level character since it's still challenging, even if you are somewhat more powerful than intended for that area. And if you find nice looking loot you can use the transmutation system to make sure that even the items found are still useful to you.

It also makes it so that new low level content can be easily added with patches and expansion since people can enjoy that content without having to make new characters.

But the best part is, as you pointed out, that people can not grieve each other and that everyone can play with whoever they want with whatever character they want. These two things are the core of Anet's design philosophy.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

One of the better features that I believe should be in any MMO with a high lvl cap. I hate it if I cant group up with my friends because of lvl difference. Or that I dont want to ask them because they can one shot every mob because of their high lvl.

I especially like the automatic downscaling of your lvl.  Which makes sure that you never feel you 'missed' something during your lvl progress. Because you can always go back and your toon automatically scales down to the lvl of that content.

• jezvinjezvin Member UncommonPosts: 804

Even with the system there is like kinda no reason to power level someone through content because they can just play with you no matter what.

-------------------------------------------------
    Achiever 20.00%, Explorer 86.67%, Killer 60.00%, Socializer 33.33%

EKSA
    -------------------------------------------------

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

Don't think its a good feature, prefering a mentor system, where you decide if you want to downlevel or not. Sometimes as a high level just want to farm stuff for your twink or search rare mobs for cool looking armor, this sidekick system will kill that stuff, which shouldn't be so.

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Originally posted by DerWotan

Don't think its a good feature, prefering a mentor system, where you decide if you want to downlevel or not. Sometimes as a high level just want to farm stuff for your twink or search rare mobs for cool looking armor, this sidekick system will kill that stuff, which shouldn't be so.

I dont think that there is much twinking possible in GW2. Or rare mobs to farm. Also, dynamic events main rewards is karma, which can be used to purchase gear with. So karma from any event can be used to purchase stuff from any karma vendor. That kind of defeats the need for farming specific mobs.

Im not sure how this will work for the expert dungeons though. These are supposed to have cool looking gear tied to them, but havent read if those are drops, or just have their special tokens/crafting resources or so as loot.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Funny, but for me those are reasons why it's an awesome system. Nothing more annoying than some higher level dude power farming resources that are level appropriate to you. Plus, nothing kills the prestige factor of something more than having an alt get it via easy mode.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• Blaze007Blaze007 Member Posts: 188

I like the idea a lot, do hope there will be some kind of incent for high lvl characters to come back and revisit the low level areas. I do wonder thou what happens with the high level weapons when this sidekick system kicks in? Do they scale down somehow ?

• DiovidiusDiovidius Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Originally posted by Vallador

I like the idea a lot, do hope there will be some kind of incent for high lvl characters to come back and revisit the low level areas. I do wonder thou what happens with the high level weapons when this sidekick system kicks in? Do they scale down somehow ?

We're not entirely sure. We know that 60th level characters who play in a area meant for characters between level 5 and 10 will be stronger than level 10 characters (because of skills, traits, equipment and what not) but how scaling happens exactly we don't know.

• revy66revy66 Member Posts: 464

Originally posted by jezvin

Even with the system there is like kinda no reason to power level someone through content because they can just play with you no matter what.

I agree with this. The whole sidekick system kinda defeats the purpose of powerleveling because you can play with your friends and have fun from the beginning already.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by fiontar

Funny, but for me those are reasons why it's an awesome system. Nothing more annoying than some higher level dude power farming resources that are level appropriate to you. Plus, nothing kills the prestige factor of something more than having an alt get it via easy mode.

Exactly.... Just perfect in every sense....

Imagine one guy single handedly killing all bosses in low level content..... ruining it toally for the lower levels... With dynamic content there is no other way then this system.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Originally posted by fiontar

Exactly.... Just perfect in every sense....

Imagine one guy single handedly killing all bosses in low level content..... ruining it toally for the lower levels... With dynamic content there is no other way then this system.

Not only does it preserve the content from being trivialized by higher level players, but it gives those higher level players the ability to really participate in and enjoy events with out them being trivial to them!

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated