Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Resub now, by Sep 15th, before it is too late

superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Do not miss your chance of playing the greatest MMO ever created

Buy SWG today, or reactivate your accounts

Anybody active on Sep 15th will not be billed again.

For full details check here

Comments

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

It makes no sense to buy the game.

I self identify as a monkey.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Originally posted by mgilbrtsn

It makes no sense to buy the game.

It makes perfect sense. 3+ months is plenty of time, epsecially with all the double everything, bonuses and perks they are doing to the game, to help boost things along

Some console games I have paid full whack for and finished within a few days, in comparison SWG is a bargain not to be missed.

If you have not used the free 45 days, that is good to go to the end too, and will not even have to pay a penny/cent. But hurry, that expires in a few days, on 31st Aug

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

If you aren't a current player I can't imagine how it wouldn't be a stupid idea to throw away money by giving to SOE for SWG at this point.  Unless its for nostaliga and you have the money to waste.

Also its been too late for SWG for a long time now.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Best MMO ever created? Yet it was dying a slow death after launch, it was too my favorite MMO but November 15, 2005 did it for me and I even deleted all my characters including my Jedi I worked hard on.

I'm not giving SOE another $15, sorry, I couldn't even last 2 days during the 45 day free.

Originally posted by Paradigm68

If you aren't a current player I can't imagine how it wouldn't be a stupid idea to throw away money by giving to SOE for SWG at this point.  Unless its for nostaliga and you have the money to waste.

On that theorry it is a waste of money to go to the cinema or theater to pay similar money, and only view it the once which is about only a few hours, and things like that.

I bet a lot of players will buy SWTOR, and only play that for a couple of months. If that is the case, then SWG is better value for money than SWTOR

• XexvXexv Member Posts: 308

Why would you reward the company that's killing your favourite game with more money though? Honest question.

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673

I made the mistake of playing a trial the week before they announced that the game would be shutting down, I couldn't be bothered to play beyond two days.

Originally posted by superniceguy

On that theorry it is a waste of money to go to the cinema or theater to pay similar money, and only view it the once, and things like that.

I bet a lot of players will buy SWTOR, and only play that for a couple of months. If that is the case, then SWG is better value for money than SWTOR

I don't think the logic follows.  As a general rule, you go to the movie knowing that its an 1 1/2 hours of your time and thats what you are spending it on.  In an MMO, you go in with the thought that you are going to play for a long time and that you will progress with the game.  Some people won't stick with the game because they don't like it, but the intent for long term play is there.  

The fun in MMOs is trying to develop your character and seeing how far you can go (One of the things that makes MMOs fun).  However, if you know an MMO is going to close in a short period of time, you know that your character is a done deal and there is a certain lack of purpose in developing your character.

I suppose there may be a certain crowd that may buy the game and treat it as a movie that lasts 1 1/2 hours, but I'm willing to bet that most won't want to invest the time an MMO takes to develop a character that is destined for the scrap heap in a short period of time.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Right now at this point they would have to pay me to play.  I used my 45 free days,  game over.

On that theorry it is a waste of money to go to the cinema or theater to pay similar money, and only view it the once which is about only a few hours, and things like that.

I think the point you are missing is the enjoyment factor, who do you think will read this post that hasn't played SWG amd isn't aware of whether it is a rewarding and worthy experience? I wonder how many accounts have an unused 45 day trial going?

The problem is there are far too many people who either simply don't care that the game is closing or are even glad to see it finally shut down.

• pupurunpupurun Member UncommonPosts: 561

i ve never subbed or bought the game.I have played a trial and i see that i have the free 45 day thing on my account.What if i start playing before the 8/31 and be playing through 9/15 . Will that make me eligible to stay in game till end? Or do i have to but at least one months sub?

On that theorry it is a waste of money to go to the cinema or theater to pay similar money, and only view it the once, and things like that.

I don't think the logic follows.  As a general rule, you go to the movie knowing that its an 1 1/2 hours of your time and thats what you are spending it on.  In an MMO, you go in with the thought that you are going to play for a long time and that you will progress with the game.  Some people won't stick with the game because they don't like it, but the intent for long term play is there.  

The fun in MMOs is trying to develop your character and seeing how far you can go (One of the things that makes MMOs fun).  However, if you know an MMO is going to close in a short period of time, you know that your character is a done deal and there is a certain lack of purpose in developing your character.

I suppose there may be a certain crowd that may buy the game and treat it as a movie that lasts 1 1/2 hours, but I'm willing to bet that most won't want to invest the time an MMO takes to develop a character that is destined for the scrap heap in a short period of time.

Same thing could be said for SWTOR.

It does not matter whether it is one day or 10 years, it is what you do with that time, that counts, and 3+ months is still plenty of time, and with all the boosts and perks of the game, you can still get satisfaction out of it, and you can play under your own terms, knowing that is going to close, you just do things that you know you can do within the timeframe.

Anything that happens with game now will all be additions, they will not take away or nerf any more of the gameplay, and active existing MMOs you never have that guarantee, as overnight you couild lose a lot of stuff, and that has happened to LOTRO and WOW radically changed the world with Cataclysm. None of these things will hapen in SWG now. SWG is quite safe from all that now. After Catalcylsm Smedly liked the idea and thinking of doing the same to EQ2!

Originally posted by pupurun

i ve never subbed or bought the game.I have played a trial and i see that i have the free 45 day thing on my account.What if i start playing before the 8/31 and be playing through 9/15 . Will that make me eligible to stay in game till end? Or do i have to but at least one months sub?

You will be able to stay until the end, without paying a single thing, as long as you start playing before  the end of 31st Aug

It does not matter whether it is one day or 10 years, it is what you do with that time, that counts, and 3+ months is still plenty of time, and with all the boosts and perks of the game, you can still get satisfaction out of it, and you can play under your own terms, knowing that is going to close, you just do things that you know you can do within the timeframe.

This is true, but I think there is a difference of time scale.  Everything ends in the end, but somethings end in a couple of months and others in terms of years.  I'm not saying that some people won't get any satisfaction if they bought the game now.  I do believe that a vast majority of people will think the same thing that I do, that its a poor investment in resources.  Like I said, in an MMO, one of the fun things is developing your character and seeing where it goes.  With SWTOR you can expect this experience to be in the years category which makes it more engrossing that in a game that is heading toward the scrap heap of history in a very short time.

• ericlatrelleericlatrelle Member UncommonPosts: 176

Your hatred for TOR is pretty pathetic and amusing at the same time. Sorry. Nobody wants to spend money on a dead game. Get over it that SWG is dead and TOR will continue on for years after SWG.

This is true, but I think there is a difference of time scale.  Everything ends in the end, but somethings end in a couple of months and others in terms of years.  I'm not saying that some people won't get any satisfaction if they bought the game now.  I do believe that a vast majority of people will think the same thing that I do, that its a poor investment in resources.  Like I said, in an MMO, one of the fun things is developing your character and seeing where it goes.  With SWTOR you can expect this experience to be in the years category which makes it more engrossing that in a game that is heading toward the scrap heap of history in a very short time.

Bioware have said that it takes 200 hours to play through your character, and if you take 2 weeks off work, and play it from 9am to 1am or more, earch day, throught those weeks, including taking time for breaks, you will have it completed it in that time.

SWG is complete (more or less just end of game changes coming to help boost your play and spedd things up), whereas SWTOR is not complete, and you just have to wait for more updates/expansions again.

In conclusion, SWG is better value than SWTOR

Bioware have said that it takes 200 hours to play through your character, and if you take 2 weeks off work, and play it from 9am to 1am or more, earch day, throught those weeks, including taking time for breaks, you will have it completed it in that time.

SWG is complete (more or less just end of game changes coming to help boost your play and spedd things up), whereas SWTOR is not complete, and you just have to wait for more updates/expansions again.

Maybe.  I wasn't actually arguing one was better than the other.  I was more arguing the point of whether it was a good/smart thing to buy a game you know is ending soon.  There are plenty of other threads which argue whether SWTOR or SWG is the better game.  Having played SWG (for a short time) and not having played SWTOR, I think its really too early to tell.

The difference is that SWG is a world simulation game that has little to do with the true idea behind Star Wars and complete is not a word I would ever associate with SWG that game has never been "complete" there has always been something missing and that will continue until it's sunset date.

Originally posted by raistlinm

The difference is that SWG is a world simulation game that has little to do with the true idea behind Star Wars and complete is not a word I would ever associate with SWG that game has never been "complete" there has always been something missing and that will continue until it's sunset date.

SWG will be more complete than SWTOR will be at launch. SWG was a game where players lived in the Star Wars universe and defined Star Wars, and if it failed to live up to what SW was, then it was a failure by the players. With SWTOR, SW is defined by Bioware

It was not the fairy wings that ruined SWG, it was the fact that players felt the need to wear them always. You do not turn up to work everyday dressed up in fancy costumes, only on days when there is something special going on, like Halloween, but in SWG once they got their wings they wore them everyday as opposed to on these special occasions.

Originally posted by raistlinm

SWG will be more complete than SWTOR will be at launch. SWG was a game where players lived in the Star Wars universe and defined Star Wars, and if it failed to live up to what SW was, then it was a failure by the players. With SWTOR, SW is defined by Bioware

It was not the fairy wings that ruined SWG, it was the fact that players felt the need to wear them always. You do not turn up to work everyday dressed up in fancy costumes, only on days when there is something special going on, like Halloween, but in SWG once they got their wings they wore them everyday as opposed to on these special occasions.

So you are saying if Star wars films had been designed like SWG watching people farm mats and hold the rest of the player base hostage that those movies would have been as successful as they are?  If the most in depth parts of star wars were crafting that would have made for compelling cinema?

Nah the problem is the vision of SWG was never in line with what the movies offered and what Bioware is going to offer will be.  TOR is releasing with over 200 hours of varied through questing gameplay while SWG was about finding that one thing you wanted to do and spend months mind numbingly grinding through the same activity to reach that goal.

What ruined SWG was the fact that the experience does not remind the casual fan of star wars in any other way than music and sound effect.  If a player doesn't like world simulators you aren't going to like SWG atleast that's what I got from the friends I tried to get to play the game that couldn't stick beyond a week or so.

Now what exactly do you mean by "complete" because you keep saying how SWG will be more complete than TOR will be at launch but SWG has no content or lore beyond the legacy quest which I thought was generally the same for everyone (could be wrong never played Imp).

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Buy the game, pay a subscription fee to see what:  The servers close down on Dec 15th?  Buggy untested GM events that fail like the holiday events do?  The last gathering of players that will lag the server to death?

What is someone going to do in a couple of months in the game?

• ericlatrelleericlatrelle Member UncommonPosts: 176

Originally posted by Daffid011

Buy the game, pay a subscription fee to see what:  The servers close down on Dec 15th?  Buggy untested GM events that fail like the holiday events do?  The last gathering of players that will lag the server to death?

What is someone going to do in a couple of months in the game?

Yeah. Pretty much.

This atmostpheric flight has added a whole load more fun.

I just flew a YT-1300 out of the starport of Mos Espa. Coolest gaming moment ever!

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Hey now!

Three months is a long time to game.

I got tired of WAR, Aion, CO, DCUO, STO & TR in less than three months time combined!

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Originally posted by Z3R01

Hey now!

Three months is a long time to game.

I got tired of WAR, Aion, CO, DCUO, STO & TR in less than three months time combined!

Did you go into those games knowing they wouldn't last more than three months?