Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Finally Swtor will take down world of warcraft.

191011121315»

Comments

• JackdogJackdog Charleston, SCPosts: 6,344Member

Got my copy pre ordered and plan on being there for the early start but have to disagree with the OP. From what I have seen on the net and read TOR is going sell a ton of copies but I would not be on it retaining that many for three months or more. I Love the overall look of the game and I am sure it will be a quality game but just don't think it has a lot of long term play potential. I am looking at it like I would a good single player game that I will play night and day for 60 days or so and say "gee that was fun, whats next" ?

Just out of curiosity for those who see it as their next long term game why do you foresee yourself playing it longer than it takes to level a main and maybe a alt to max level? PvP ? Raids? Crafting ? To retain players for 90 days or more a MMO needs a good hook and I just don't see one here.

My money says within a year it wil level out at a repectable 400K or so.

I miss DAoC

• WiezardWiezard Houston, TXPosts: 158Member

Originally posted by Jackdog

Got my copy pre ordered and plan on being there for the early start but have to disagree with the OP. From what I have seen on the net and read TOR is going sell a ton of copies but I would not be on it retaining that many for three months or more. I Love the overall look of the game and I am sure it will be a quality game but just don't think it has a lot of long term play potential. I am looking at it like I would a good single player game that I will play night and day for 60 days or so and say "gee that was fun, whats next" ?

Just out of curiosity for those who see it as their next long term game why do you foresee yourself playing it longer than it takes to level a main and maybe a alt to max level? PvP ? Raids? Crafting ? To retain players for 90 days or more a MMO needs a good hook and I just don't see one here.

200 hours of storyline on one character. And every class has a different storyline so add up all those 200 hours. then there is crafting which is beginning to shape up a very fun activity (and i am the guy who generally hates crafting), PVP, exploration, titles, achievements. I won't be raiding though. but it is also there. For a casual gamer like me that is hell lot of content for 3 months. Don't forget there are 17 planets on launch.

And no one can say with surety that Bioware won't add more content over these 90 days.

• SatariousSatarious Kansas City, MOPosts: 1,075Member

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/star-wars-the-old-republic-has-200-hours-of-gameplay--for-each-class/

SWTOR is coming out of the gates with 200 hours of gameplay for each class.  The hardcore gamer will reach that cap in no time flat, but then that's not much different from WoW or any other mmo with pve content.  There's always going to be a finite amount of pve content you can put in there.  Only pvp can be open ended.

• SonikFlashSonikFlash Melbourne, FLPosts: 573Member

you know, i read the title and i knew exactly what all 36 pages would say :P

• stamps79stamps79 Bay Area, CAPosts: 233Member

SWTOR will not take down WOW, just like other's that have posted before, WOW will take down WOW.  

With the amount of solid MMO's coming out and SWTOR being one of them, I'm sure they will effects WOW's numbers, but not enough to take it down....thinking like that is just make believe.  

GW2 and SWTOR will probably be the big hitters that will get an easy million plus during there first months of launch.  Blizzard is also setting it's next expansion for for a late 2012 to 2013 window, so even though lots of people will be playing a list of new promising MMO's, Blizzard will get returning players.  If it fails in the way that Cataclysm did to most players, me being one of them...I'm sure those players will finally step away from WOW and just move on to something fresh.

If Blizzard doesn't impress with their new expansion, they could easily force their numbers to drop by 15 to 35% within half a years time of launch...it could be even higher.  Blizzard really needs to step up there game and show something different, because as of now, I have no means to come back anytime soon.

Wildstar (2013) & Elder Scroll Online (2013)

Playing: Diablo 3, WOW, Far Cry 3 & X-Com.

Enjoyed: WOW 5 1/2 yrs, LOTRO 3yrs, GW 1/2yr, DFO 1yr, EVE Online 3yrs, and Huxley (Beta).

Failed to impress: GW2 3months, Tera Online 6 months (best combat system in any MMO I've played) STO 1/4yr, Aion 1/2yr, AoC 1yr, CO, Fallen Earth, DDO, EQ2 1/2yr, WAR 1/2yr, Lineage 2 and FF XI 1/2yr, FF XIV.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy louisville, COPosts: 2,053Member

Originally posted by Satarious

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/star-wars-the-old-republic-has-200-hours-of-gameplay--for-each-class/
    SWTOR is coming out of the gates with 200 hours of gameplay for each class.  The hardcore gamer will reach that cap in no time flat, but then that's not much different from WoW or any other mmo with pve content.  There's always going to be a finite amount of pve content you can put in there.  Only pvp can be open ended.

You can't design games and content around power gamers. It's an impossible feat.

• theratmonkeytheratmonkey Monroe, LAPosts: 684Member

While I don't believe that this will be a "wow killer", I believe that this is the intention of EA with this game. EA has been trying to get a good stronghold measurable to WoW for a good bit, and now that Activision is merged with Blizzard, they're probably taking this to the max.

They're already looking to take the FPS market away from Activision, even so far as predicting that the COD games don't have much life left.

Groovy.

• ericlatrelleericlatrelle Sullivan BarracksPosts: 176Member

Originally posted by Adoni

Originally posted by Sain34

Does it even matter?

nope.

• alastor44alastor44 St. George, UTPosts: 20Member

I always laugh when I see the term "WoW Killer". Sorry to burst everyone's bubble but it does not exist or WoW would have been killed already. So many gamers have too much time invested into WoW to just jump to a new game and leave their time and friends behind. The Old Republic will hopefully do fine in today's market, Rift is still doing decent enough. I will probably pick up The Old Republic, play it for a month or two, get bored, and move on to the next game that comes out.

Waiting for:
    Diablo 3 Seasonal Ladders
    Warlords of Draenor

• DLangleyDLangley Beaumont, TXPosts: 1,407Member

Hey guys this thread has devolved into users just baiting one another and attacking each other personally. I'm going to lock it up.

Locked.

This discussion has been closed.