Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard has fallen victim to their own greed!

Comments

• SilverbarrSilverbarr Member Posts: 306

Originally posted by WSIMike

Blizzard has, indeed, abandoned the attitude that got them where they are. They seem to have become full servants of Sith Lord Bobby Kotick himself.

So true mate, after reading a thread that showed many quotes from Bobby Kotick it dis-heartens me to see a company like Blizzard fall to such an extent.

M

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys. Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!"
    - Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Support the Indie Developers - Kickstarter

• MilanderMilander Member UncommonPosts: 178

Originally posted by Happyguy83

In this day and age there is no reason to own a computer without the internet.

Coming from someone who hates the Diablo series, This thread is insane.

That's not the point.

The point is, there's no reason to require an internet connection to play a game in single-player mode.

An online multiplayer mode should require an internet connection. Absolutely. That makes sense.

However, it's an arbitrary, unprecedented and unnecessary requirement to play a game in single-player mode. It makes no sense.

Say your internet service goes out, due to severe weather or some other cause... Or, what if you're in-between internet providers and don't have access yet? On the road and don't have access to internet on your laptop. Imagine any of a number of circumstances where an internet connection isn't available... Wanna play Diablo 3? Sorry! You'll just have to wait 'til your service is restored or set up or you can otherwise get access. Because that's how Blizzard wants it!

The issue is Blizzard requiring an internet connection for a game that has, historically, had an offline, single-player mode (which many people enjoyed) and an optional online multiplayer mode (which many people also enjoy).

If it's true that Blizz has removed a single-player mode, then that's *really* ass-backwards... especially considering so many of the videos they've shown demonstrates the game being played how? With a single, solo character.

Blizzard has, indeed, abandoned the attitude that got them where they are. They seem to have become full servants of Sith Lord Bobby Kotick himself.

requiring internet access and thus a battle.net account to play fixes many of the problems that plaqued D2.  Makes the game harder to pirate (note I said harder not impossible) Kills the whole teleport/dupe/clone/produce mods out there.

As for your game that 'historically' had an offline single player mode...well yeah, because the tech didnt exist to be able to play it single player while being able to talk with friends playing SC2, or WoW or whatever other Blizzard games that use the Battle.net framework. The way it has changed, it would be almost impossible to use it and have an offline game. Would be like having oh...lets say stock market mmo that uses up to date market prices but having it offline without a netconect.

I'm curious though where does it say that Blizzard has REMOVED single player in? Or is this just a 'sky is falling'  because they are saying you must be connected to Battle.net to play? (shakes head) Sums up as this people, if you wanna cry because you need to be online to play it, Don't buy it, or just about ANY other game coming...More and more games even single player are adding a net conection to the play in one way or another.

It's called progress...

• theptthept Member Posts: 1

dude, you cant compare one thing with another, if you want to compare torchlight, do it with another game, you cant do it with Diablo 3.

• redpinsredpins Member Posts: 147

Like previous threads, I'll say something yet again. Without that single player mode, without the ability to make mods and actually have additional fun inside the game, IT'S NOT GONNA WORK. Starcraft 2 works because its editable by the community. Take that away, and you start losing support for it. Now what did help Diablo in the early days? Why its Single Player versatility and mod capable engine. Blizzard eats to much money, and when they told players that it's really their fault for everything and their ass was only clean and shinny, that took the cake. Now if you want to support such a game that is fine, but in reality I will not support their behavior no matter what trash they try to push my way. Break down SC2 for a minute here. All it is, is a shinny new turd with very few improvements over the old. $60 turd, and people loved to eat it. It will be the same, if not more rage about Diablo 3. After all box sales are said and done and Blizzard is happy, then will come the rages. Millions will blindly support Blizzard because they don't know any better or just don't care. I prefer to keep my $60, as Diablo 3 isnt such a nice "sandbox" friendly game for me to play. I can get more fun out of other rpg games. The point is that they forgot who supported them and helped them grow, the mod communities. They bit the hands that helped them, now enjoy the new age of  gaming. Where you pay $60~$300 for a Blizzard game, 20 hours of story gameplay, and they give a presentation video at the end with puppets or a short cartoon laughing at you for buying the game. The middle finger goes up as they drive away in a fleet of Rolls Royce, their dogs driving Lambos happily as well into the sunset.

I struggle not with life, money, emotions, and world, but against old mindsets and selves to be proven obsolete in a age and time of rapid changes. Go create fun, so you can have fun.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Originally posted by Happyguy83

In this day and age there is no reason to own a computer without the internet.

Coming from someone who hates the Diablo series, This thread is insane.

That's not the point.

The point is, there's no reason to require an internet connection to play a game in single-player mode.

Cut's out 90% of the hacks right out the gate

You dont need to create offline and online characters

HD crashes you don't lose your toon and the progress you have made (that's a big one)

An online multiplayer mode should require an internet connection. Absolutely. That makes sense.

However, it's an arbitrary, unprecedented and unnecessary requirement to play a game in single-player mode. It makes no sense.

See above

Say your internet service goes out, due to severe weather or some other cause... Or, what if you're in-between internet providers and don't have access yet? On the road and don't have access to internet on your laptop. Imagine any of a number of circumstances where an internet connection isn't available... Wanna play Diablo 3? Sorry! You'll just have to wait 'til your service is restored or set up or you can otherwise get access. Because that's how Blizzard wants it!

Image your electricity goes out.. you're house burns down, your PC get's stolen.. I could go on....  just as many way you can't play games an internet connection is just one of them

The issue is Blizzard requiring an internet connection for a game that has, historically, had an offline, single-player mode (which many people enjoyed) and an optional online multiplayer mode (which many people also enjoy).

The last Diablo game was relased some 12 years ago, technology was different then we are now in an age where internet access is everywhere unlike in 1999 where Broadband was not even common.  Times have moved on so should you're attitude

If it's true that Blizz has removed a single-player mode, then that's *really* ass-backwards... especially considering so many of the videos they've shown demonstrates the game being played how? With a single, solo character.

There is a full 4 Act single player game which you can also play co-op and play in 4 difficulties, there is also arena PvP

Kotick does not own Blizzard... what's the point every one thinks Kotick does.

Originally posted by AKASlaphappy

Originally posted by Nikkita

Oh boy! someone woke up on wrong side of bed this morning. And yes i am saying it with a very straight face. I didn't use even more than 3 slots for Diablo 2 so even if i wasn't aware of the limit no way i was going to fill up all 10.

You are still not getting why I said it was unreasonable, I do not care how many characters you made in D2. Like I said name one other single player RPG that limited the amount of character you could make, this is what I find unreasonable! With that if games that do put limits on how many characters you can make are really profitable then more single player games will become like this. To me that is what I find unreasonable no one should be able to tell me how many characters I can make in a single player game.  Now if you do not agree with that is fine!

The other part I find humorous is that if anyone but Blizzard did this people would be having a cow, I cannot wait for EA to do this and watch all fun comments that are made about how greedy they are.

You want single player games that limit character slots? Well lets see...Hellgate which was single and muiltiplayer, had a limit. Dragon Age and Dragon Age II both had 'limits' Mind you at leas for 360 it was more "Oh I'm sorry you have too many save games" which in turn limited your character creation. I think even TL had a limit....

• AKASlaphappyAKASlaphappy Member UncommonPosts: 800

Some of the arguments people use to defend their God “favorite game developer” are really funny!

Originally posted by Wiezard

Sorry bud but intelligent people don't need spell check ;)

Apparently according to the logic on this forum intelligent people are good at everything! So since Einstein sucked at regular math that must mean he was not intelligent after all he was not good at everything. Since bad spelling makes you not intelligent then by your own logic that means being bad at basic math would mean you are not intelligent. Great job guys you just used logic to make one of the smartest men that ever lived stupid to defend a video game. I applaud your zealous devotion to gaming!

Originally posted by RabbiFang

$25 to many people is spare change. Intelligent people understand that disposable income varies from person to person. What you see as dumb, others see as 'meh, why not, it's only $XX'.

Yeah and that logic is why according to SSI 90% of people that live in America will be broke by the time they hit the age 65. Woohoo lets all praise financial irresponsibility; only cool kids like to make it so they have to depend on their children in order to live! I am so glad people on this site love gaming so much that they encourage people to spend money like it is nothing! I again applaud you zealous devotion to gaming!

Starcraft 2 is one year old, and it's probably the best RTS I have ever played in my life.

Just curious do you really believe this? Also did you miss out on all the RTS that were made around the year 2000 they play exactly like Star Craft 2, so wouldn’t that mean all of those game are the best RTS ever made? I guess I must have missed when I played it all the things that were different from all the RTS made from 2000-2005 time frames! The only thing I see different from those games and Star Craft 2 is that SC2 was designed to be an e-sport and those were not. But please maybe I missed something please tell me all the great things SC2 did that no other RTS ever did, so it was the best RTS of your life.

Originally posted by Ramonski7                                                                                                                                   And they are the ones that put the Blizzard in the phrase "Blizzard polish"

Oh you mean polish like login servers crashing constantly at the launch of WoW. Or the fact that one whole map of WoW kept going off line for the first three months after release. Or the fact that when you harvested any crafting resource it would crash your game! Yeah that just speaks of polish that no other company out there can deliver.

Or maybe you are referring to myth that Blizzard fans have made that all Blizzard games are polished and have no problems. That is such a great myth that their fan base spread to bad it does not have any hold on reality. Because just like all software companies they have bugs in their software that they have to patch to get rid of, the other difference is that you have raised Blizzard up to be a God so you do not notice these bugs anymore. So then if another game launches like the Witcher 2 you play it and go “oh my god look at these bugs this game is a mess, Blizzard would never do this”. But in truth they do you people just choice to ignore it because then your God would have faults and no god can be imperfect. Although I think the best Myth that I hear all the time is that the reason WoW had so many problems is because it had so many people at launch that Blizzard could not handle it. Well let’s look at the facts in August 2005 Blizzard announced they hit one million subscribers in North America, that means both the United States and Canada had one million people playing WoW ten months after launch. So apparently Blizzards servers could not handle a climb from zero to one million in ten months, yep that speaks of quality that no other company can ever accomplish there.

I am sorry Blizzard Zealots I will stop trying to bring facts into the spread of your faith and just accept that Blizzard stands for quality that no other company in gaming can achieve.

Some of the arguments people use to defend their God “favorite game developer” are really funny!

Originally posted by Wiezard

Sorry bud but intelligent people don't need spell check ;)

Apparently according to the logic on this forum intelligent people are good at everything! So since Einstein sucked at regular math that must mean he was not intelligent after all he was not good at everything. Since bad spelling makes you not intelligent then by your own logic that means being bad at basic math would mean you are not intelligent. Grate job guys you just used logic to make one of the smartest men that ever lived stupid to defend a video game. I applaud your zealous devotion to gaming!

$25 to many people is spare change. Intelligent people understand that disposable income varies from person to person. What you see as dumb, others see as 'meh, why not, it's only $XX'.

Yeah and that logic is why according to SSI 90% of people that live in America will be broke by the time they hit the age 65. Woohoo lets all praise financial irresponsibility; only cool kids like to make it so they have to depend on their children in order to live! I am so glad people on this site love gaming so much that they encourage people to spend money like it is nothing! I again applaud you zealous devotion to gaming!

Starcraft 2 is one year old, and it's probably the best RTS I have ever played in my life.

Just curious do you really believe this? Also did you miss out on all the RTS that were made around the year 2000 they play exactly like Star Craft 2, so wouldn’t that mean all of those game are the best RTS ever made? I guess I must have missed when I played it all the things that were different from all the RTS made from 2000-2005 time frames! The only I see different from those games and Star Craft 2 is that SC2 was designed to be an e-sport and those were not. But please maybe I missed something please tell me all the great things SC2 did that no other RTS ever did, so it was the best RTS of your life.

Originally posted by Ramonski7                                                                                                                                   And they are the ones that put the Blizzard in the phrase "Blizzard polish"

Oh you mean polish like login servers crashing constantly at the launch of WoW. Or the fact that one whole map of WoW kept going off line for the first three months after release. Or the fact that when you harvested any crafting resource it would crash your game! Yeah that just speaks of polish that no other company out there can deliver.

Or maybe you are referring to myth that Blizzard fans have made that all Blizzard games are polished and have no problems. That is such a great myth that their fan base spread to bad it does not have any hold on reality. Because just like all software companies they have bugs in their software that they have to patch to get rid of, the other difference is that you have raised Blizzard up to be a God so you do not notice these bugs anymore. So then if another game launches like the Witcher 2 you play it and go “oh my god look at these bugs this game is a mess, Blizzard would never do this”. But in truth they do you people just choice to ignore it because then your God would have faults and no god can be imperfect. Although I think the best Myth that I hear all the time is that the reason WoW had so many problems is because it had so many people at launch that Blizzard could not handle it. Well let’s look at the facts in August 2005 Blizzard announced they hit one million subscribers in North America, that means both the United States and Canada had one million people playing WoW ten months after launch. So apparently Blizzards servers could not handle a climb from zero to one million in ten months, yep that speaks of quality that no other company can ever accomplish there.

I am sorry Blizzard Zealots I will stop trying to bring facts into the spread of your faith and just accept that Blizzard stands for quality that no other company in gaming can achieve.

You know I'm not sure what's more annoying the fanboys for a company who say they can do no wrong...Or the Anti-Fanboy who got butthurt by a company and now deem them the antichrist for all time to nitpick everything wrong like (for the above example) Blizzard, the evil bastages with their 'faulty login servers'....Correct they were fault, as were EQs and SWG's and I think the last 15 MMORPGs I've tried to play. I will say though, none have been as bad as SWG...Have never seen a game 'die' from account creation then have a db corruption during login and killed it for almost a week. Sure Blizzard had problems but at least the servers were mostly up :)

And to state my position now, as I'm sure people are screaming "OMG another Blizzard fanboy!" Nope, they can do wrong and have. Just like every other company out there. Will I buy a game just because Blizzard is on it? Nope. I buy games that I'm interested in, no matter who makes them. If for example "Titan" has no merit in my mind, I wont even look at it. Like I'm sure MOST people on this website.

Originally posted by Milander

You want single player games that limit character slots? Well lets see...Hellgate which was single and muiltiplayer, had a limit. Dragon Age and Dragon Age II both had 'limits' Mind you at leas for 360 it was more "Oh I'm sorry you have too many save games" which in turn limited your character creation. I think even TL had a limit....

Sorry but Hellgate was not a typical single player game, they were trying to make a MMO hybrid and failed, so not really a great example. Unless you consider D3 the same thing a MMO single player hybrid, then I accept your premise.  

As for Dragon age and Dragon 2 on 360 dude we are talking about PC games, I could care less what they do on a 360, since D3 is PC only! If you want to compare D3 to a PC title that saves on the server side, Trine on steam saves your game on the cloud so all the data is on their server, I can have 25 saves on that (I know because I have 25 saves). No why can Valve, that saves more than one games on the servers, have more than 10 characters but the great quality god like Blizzard can only manage 10?

You know I'm not sure what's more annoying the fanboys for a company who say they can do no wrong...Or the Anti-Fanboy who got butthurt by a company and now deem them the antichrist for all time to nitpick everything wrong like (for the above example) Blizzard, the evil bastages with their 'faulty login servers'....Correct they were fault, as were EQs and SWG's and I think the last 15 MMORPGs I've tried to play. I will say though, none have been as bad as SWG...Have never seen a game 'die' from account creation then have a db corruption during login and killed it for almost a week. Sure Blizzard had problems but at least the servers were mostly up :)

And to state my position now, as I'm sure people are screaming "OMG another Blizzard fanboy!" Nope, they can do wrong and have. Just like every other company out there. Will I buy a game just because Blizzard is on it? Nope. I buy games that I'm interested in, no matter who makes them. If for example "Titan" has no merit in my mind, I wont even look at it. Like I'm sure MOST people on this website.

The fact that you can only see me as a hater because I disagree with some people’s point of view shows you are just as biased as the rest of us. So please step off your high horse before you fall off!  

Guess what I never said that no other MMOs had the same problems, I know they did. I was just making fun of the often quoted logic that Blizzard is perfect and they never have any issues with their games.  Or at least if they do have problems it is not Blizzard’s fault there was external circumstance that Blizzard could not help, God forbid we think blizzard actually could make a mistake that is downright illogical.But to say another company like Mythic failed because of external circumstances and not their own design that is just ludicrous. Because we all know Blizzard stand for polish while the rest of game developers just suck! 

Originally posted by Aori

You're kidding me right? Blizzard made its FIRST MMO and had issues with servers because they were OVERLOADED. I rarely had problems though and i was on stormreaver on day 1. It was a matter of how the issue was resolved and they handled it better than anyone considering the demand. Even blizzard had no idea they were going to recieve the reception they did.

AS for this RTS arguement, i personally thought WC3 was more enjoyable than SC2. That said blizzard has been the only company to produce quality RTS games that have withstood time. If only westwood would have survived EA's takeover it may have been a strong contender. Though really the 90s were the golden era for RTS games, everything put out recently has been rather dull.

Oh yes because going from zero to one million in a ten months is overload, god I love that logic! I never said they handled it badly I enjoyed the free month I got because Silverhand was always down, that is better than some companies has done. But really do you have to defend that downtime as being overloaded, god forbid we think maybe Blizzard made a logistics mistake and stop being a apologist for Blizzard!

Really Blizzard has made the only RTS that withstood the test of time. God I am glad I do not share your point of view I have played some great RTS over the last few years that blew away all of the RTS from Dune to WC3.

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

What have they fallen victim to? I'm pretty sure D3 will still sell more copies than TL2. Fully moddable is a blessing and a curse, people don't seem to understand this.

This is true sadly, but only because D3 is made by a brand that everyone recognizes and for some reason bows down to as the holy grail of the gaming industry.

It does seem true, blizzard is definetly getting more and more greedy as they realize how much money they can rake in by being greedy ashats, but that is America for you.

There is a reason that a few companies are sitting on billions of dollars and not creating jobs or anything, its greed.  They hold the power, they can get us out of this slump, but instead they bide their time until the america populas is ripe for the pickings and they can open up new jobs with no health benifits, low pay, zero retirement, and America will eat it up because we are hurting so bad for money and jobs.

It is the same way with the gaming industry.  They hold the power and the big name titles and they know they can get away with being greedy because they hold the key to these games and can exert their power over us.  Too many people fall victim to these scam/greedy tactics and it allows companies to say "Oh well, theres a market for this kind of thing." but you see that is loaded market results because if you have no other option and the only way to enjoy said product is to deal with the greed/scammyness of it, then you must.  So when you do that, the company says, see people DO want this.

We DO NOT want this, we just put up with your spit because if we don't then we don't get to enjoy the small part of your game that we were looking forward to.

Who LIKES to pay real money for vanity items? Seriously?  Wouldn't you rather get them through quests, acheivements, or earn them yourself?

I suppose not everyone, but I would be the majority would.

So I agree, Blizzard definetly is falling into the money grubbing greedy business category.

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

You're kidding me right? Blizzard made its FIRST MMO and had issues with servers because they were OVERLOADED. I rarely had problems though and i was on stormreaver on day 1. It was a matter of how the issue was resolved and they handled it better than anyone considering the demand. Even blizzard had no idea they were going to recieve the reception they did.

AS for this RTS arguement, i personally thought WC3 was more enjoyable than SC2. That said blizzard has been the only company to produce quality RTS games that have withstood time. If only westwood would have survived EA's takeover it may have been a strong contender. Though really the 90s were the golden era for RTS games, everything put out recently has been rather dull.

Oh yes because going from zero to one million in a ten months is overload, god I love that logic! I never said they handled it badly I enjoyed the free month I got because Silverhand was always down, that is better than some companies has done. But really do you have to defend that downtime as being overloaded, god forbid we think maybe Blizzard made a logistics mistake and stop being a apologist for Blizzard!

WoW had 4 million players in the first year 

http://www.techtree.com/techtree/jsp/article.jsp?article_id=5704&cat_id=585

Really Blizzard has made the only RTS that withstood the test of time. God I am glad I do not share your point of view I have played some great RTS over the last few years that blew away all of the RTS from Dune to WC3.

the only good RTS' released since WC3 (besides SC2 ofc) are Company of Heroes, Lord of the rings and Homeworld

Originally posted by expresso

WoW had 4 million players in the first year 

http://www.techtree.com/techtree/jsp/article.jsp?article_id=5704&cat_id=585

the only good RTS' released since WC3 (besides SC2 ofc) are Company of Heroes, Lord of the rings and Homeworld

Great job at reading your own link!  “According to the company, there are now 4 million "paying customers" that log on to the MMORPG worldwide--with 1 million logging on in the US and Canada alone.”

Now I  live in North America so the only servers I am referring to are North American servers, so in North America they went from zero to one million in ten months. Do I really need to explain that again? Unless you are saying the increase in population on the Asian servers affect servers in North America?

I am glad I also do not share your point of view in RTS either becuase I have player other great games besides the three you listed.

After the first month i don't recall having any issues with WoW servers. The servers were obviously overloaded, its just a fact sir. They had to add a lot more servers than initial release to compensate.  Every other company noticed this and now has excessive amount of servers on release and consolidates later if needed.

Btw dune was a 90s game, i also forgot about some relics gems which were post 2000.

Really then you made a lucky server choice then I did, because I was having issues with the server until March of 2005, hence why Blizzard gave me a month of free time for the problems they were having. I am sorry but I do not buy the fact that Blizzard had to add more servers is why I had issues on Silverhand till March, good luck with that logic though. Apparently everyone has to be an apologist for Blizzard but if any other company has problems it is grab the pitchforks and torches time boys and girls!  

Dune is considered the first RTS hence why I said that name, with that one would assume I knew it launch in the 90s since I used it as the first RTS up till WC3. But thanks for trying to educate me on the RTS genre, just do not see how you missed what I said there. I do agree Relic has made some great RTS games.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Sorry but Hellgate was not a typical single player game, they were trying to make a MMO hybrid and failed, so not really a great example. Unless you consider D3 the same thing a MMO single player hybrid, then I accept your premise.  

As for Dragon age and Dragon 2 on 360 dude we are talking about PC games, I could care less what they do on a 360, since D3 is PC only! If you want to compare D3 to a PC title that saves on the server side, Trine on steam saves your game on the cloud so all the data is on their server, I can have 25 saves on that (I know because I have 25 saves). No why can Valve, that saves more than one games on the servers, have more than 10 characters but the great quality god like Blizzard can only manage 10?

Is 10 character slots that butthurt for you? Really?! Here's a idea, delete a charcter and make a new one. You and others are acting like Blizzard is limiting you to 10 characters period. And you cannot make another charcter. Sorry but that logic is so flawed because every single player rpg has limited save slots. And to me save slots = character slots for D3. Again this is not a user-side system here. It's server side for all purposes that include you are playing legit.

Really, I think the only people who are whining about this online requirement are people who hate being on the internet....but here they are typing it up on some forum to take cheapshots at Blizzard. Go figure.

The fact that you can only see me as a hater because I disagree with some people’s point of view shows you are just as biased as the rest of us. So please step off your high horse before you fall off!  

Guess what I never said that no other MMOs had the same problems, I know they did. I was just making fun of the often quoted logic that Blizzard is perfect and they never have any issues with their games.  Or at least if they do have problems it is not Blizzard’s fault there was external circumstance that Blizzard could not help, God forbid we think blizzard actually could make a mistake that is downright illogical.But to say another company like Mythic failed because of external circumstances and not their own design that is just ludicrous. Because we all know Blizzard stand for polish while the rest of game developers just suck! 

No one said Blizzard was perfect, that's a talking point that you latched onto to further prove how out of whack so called "Blizzard followers" are. But I see your logic...it's ok to label us rational thinkers as fanbois, sheeple or mindless masses who worship the very ground that almighty Blizzard walks on, but when it comes to you and your veiwpoint...you're not a hater, just a guy with the blinders off.

I gotcha. But let me clue you in on something: I've only played 3 Blizzard games : WoW (near release til 04/10) and Diablo 1&2 (after the initial craze). I was never a devoted D1 or D2 player and only played on and off for a few months. Just like any other game I feel curious about checking out. But knowing people like you, you'll just dismiss me as a fluke in a sea of blind Blizzard zealots.

Lastly, "Blizzard polish" was used by the gaming media (as well as some writers here) to describe the level of care Blizzard took to make sure major systems for their games worked pretty much as intended. Again no one was saying that meant the games were perfect or bug free. Just that compared to similar products, Blizzard games were a notch or two above when it came to initial releases. I mean you do know that Blizzard is well known for keeping their games in development limbo for quite some time. Even most gaming media outlets joke about this. But again this seems to slip your mind. Isn't that convenient.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

Originally posted by Ramonski7

No one said Blizzard was perfect, that's a talking point that you latched onto to further prove how out of whack so called "Blizzard followers" are. But I see your logic...it's ok to label us rational thinkers as fanbois, sheeple or mindless masses who worship the very ground that almighty Blizzard walks on, but when it comes to you and your veiwpoint...you're not a hater, just a guy with the blinders off.

I gotcha. But let me clue you in on something: I've only played 3 Blizzard games : WoW (near release til 04/10) and Diablo 1&2 (after the initial craze). I was never a devoted D1 or D2 player and only played on and off for a few months. Just like any other game I feel curious about checking out. But knowing people like you, you'll just dismiss me as a fluke in a sea of blind Blizzard zealots.

Lastly, "Blizzard polish" was used by the gaming media (as well as some writers here) to describe the level of care Blizzard took to make sure major systems for their games worked pretty much as intended. Again no one was saying that meant the games were perfect or bug free. Just that compared to similar products, Blizzard games were a notch or two above when it came to initial releases. I mean you do know that Blizzard is well known for keeping their games in development limbo for quite some time. Even most gaming media outlets joke about this. But agin this seems to slip your mind. Isn't that convenient.

Yeah and the fact the term “Blizzard polish” appears in the mission statement of Blizzard and in pretty much ever interview Blizzard ever gives they talk about it, has nothing to do with that phrase become popular. After all a quick Google search does not show tons of interviews where Blizzard is using that term to describe themselves and their product as all companies do with marketing slogans.

But thanks I never knew we had to take marketing slogans to heart and repeat everything a company ever tells us. Thanks for opening my eyes I can see how wrong I was, I am going to go out and start singing the slogans of companies to everyone I know!   

Now I know I am being too hard apparently since only Blizzard takes time to make good games anymore! Ever other company just mindlessly pumps out games without any thought on quality that is only reserved for Blizzard and their marketing teams “Blizzard polish”!  Yeah it is not like id was working on Rage for seven years, nope they would never do that only Blizzard cares about making good games!

I am glad I do not share that view of the gaming industry either! Go Go Marketing teams!

• crazynannycrazynanny Member Posts: 173

I'm amused about people praising Torchligt so much. It's generic albeit quite fun hack'n'slash game. Bought it, played it was ok. So praised mods were okay but most of them was just trainers/hacks that messed with drops/exp rate/pet/difficulty.

TL 2 will get multiplayer and new classes. Seems okay and I'll buy it when it'll be on sale. But I don't see any novelty about it. Torchlight series aren't something innovative and creative. It's just hack and slash based on Fate game series. Look at this screen. Any similarities to TL?

More info at wiki: Fate Wiki

Diablo 3 will be completely different beast. And every person that can see world in more than black-white colors will know that no LAN, no offline play and no mods have reasons other than just pissing off customers "because we can". Sure You may not like it as those things might be key for You. But raging at forums and bashing Blizzard just because they don't care about You isn't mature at all. It's just acting like selfish brat. Get over it, grab TL2, have fun. The world doesn't spin around You(or me), realize that and still learn to be happy :)

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Yeah and the fact the term “Blizzard polish” appears in the mission statement of Blizzard and in pretty much ever interview Blizzard ever gives they talk about it, has nothing to do with that phrase become popular. After all a quick Google search does not show tons of interviews where Blizzard is using that term to describe themselves and their product as all companies do with marketing slogans.

But thanks I never knew we had to take marketing slogans to heart and repeat everything a company ever tells us. Thanks for opening my eyes I can see how wrong I was, I am going to go out and start singing the slogans of companies to everyone I know!   

Now I know I am being too hard apparently since only Blizzard takes time to make good games anymore! Ever other company just mindlessly pumps out games without any thought on quality that is only reserved for Blizzard and their marketing teams “Blizzard polish”!  Yeah it is not like id was working on Rage for seven years, nope they would never do that only Blizzard cares about making good games!

I am glad I do not share that view of the gaming industry either! Go Go Marketing teams!

Again way to latch onto one thing and drive it into the dirt with your colorful rethoric. Indeed you have actually help me determine your mindset when it comes to this particular topic. Very well. Look I don't remember ever stating that Blizzard was the only developer that practices this mantra. Only that they do practice it. That seems to have been lost to a lot of posters in this discussion.

Whether you want to believe that others only think that Blizzard practices this philosphy is entirely up to you and your warped opinion about how you percieve posters that simply do not share your veiws. Either way if D3 turns out to be a good game for me, I won't hesitate to recommend it to friends that I know. Same goes for Torch 2 if it turns out to be a dud. I'll make sure friends know I didn't like it.

Nevertheless I'm glad we had this discussion to bring to light just how wide spread the paranoia about greedy capitalist gaming companies really are. Or at least how Blizzard is more greedy than the rest...lol

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

Again way to latch onto one thing and drive it into the dirt with your colorful rethoric. Indeed you have actually help me determine your mindset when it comes to this particular topic. Very well. Look I don't remember ever stating that Blizzard was the only developer that practices this mantra. Only that they do practice it. That seems to have been lost to a lot of posters in this discussion.

Whether you want to believe that others only think that Blizzard practices this philosphy is entirely up to you and your warped opinion about how you percieve posters that simply do not share your veiws. Either way if D3 turns out to be a good game for me, I won't hesitate to recommend it to friends that I know. Same goes for Torch 2 if it turns out to be a dud. I'll make sure friends know I didn't like it.

Nevertheless I'm glad we had this discussion to bring to light just how wide spread the paranoia about greedy capitalist gaming companies really are. Or at least how Blizzard is more greedy than the rest...lol

Dude I never said Blizzard is greedier than any other company, in fact the only thing I have done in this thread is point out things that are funny to me. So now who here is jumping to conclusions again?

My point with your post that I think is funny is that all companies that are good at making games share this philosophy. So what I would say is that there are a bunch of gaming developers that take time and energy to make good games, and Blizzard is just one of them. With that all of these companies have issues you can find with their product but over all they are a high quality product, and again Blizzard is just one of them. To me the funny part comes from the fact that so many only link that process to Blizzard and they will shove it into anyone’s face that disagrees with them to prove their point that Blizzard is special. But then I wonder how Blizzard is special because they do this when other companies do it too, ah but that logic does not matter.

If you want to know my view on Blizzard I do not have a problem with them at all. I enjoy the Warcraft RTS games and I played WoW for many years (yes I have a problem with the digital ebay but that will not stop me from buying other games that do not have it). What I do like is finding and joking about the things the Blizzard fan base say. Like If I listed out the things I find fault with Blizzard their fans would descend on me like a pack of rapid hyenas and tear me to pieces. They would tell me how great they are and how wrong I am about anything I would point out. How do you say I know this, well I have seen Blizzard fans attack people on forums for a FPS game because in their opinion Blizzard is better than the company making the FPS (what kind of *&$%ed up logic is that Blizzard does not even make FPS). So yes now I take pleasure at pointing out things that Blizzard fans say for Fun, because I know I cannot debate with 99% of them without getting my head bit off. And you might not be one of those rabid fans and I am sorry if me linking you to them is offensive. But I am not going to take my chances on a public forum that you would have a calm debate, when it is just easier to just joke around, and to say to hell with it all. Because dealing with rabid fanatics in anything is not fun!

Like for example your wording of Blizzard’s D3 being successful and TL2 being a dud I find humors. Why did you not say if either game is good or a dud I will let my friends know? So with that wording I will poke fun at what was said, because that in the end is all I am left with since having a debate with most fans is impossible.

Ah and here you made me feel bad because you say I am prejudging you and then I found I missed this in an earlier post.

Is 10 character slots that butthurt for you? Really?! Here's a idea, delete a charcter and make a new one. You and others are acting like Blizzard is limiting you to 10 characters period. And you cannot make another charcter. Sorry but that logic is so flawed because every single player rpg has limited save slots. And to me save slots = character slots for D3. Again this is not a user-side system here. It's server side for all purposes that include you are playing legit.

Really, I think the only people who are whining about this online requirement are people who hate being on the internet....but here they are typing it up on some forum to take cheapshots at Blizzard. Go figure.

Yep taking cheap shots is a sure sign of a mature adult that should be giving out advice to other people on how they should act. I am so disappointed!

And I guess I would have to add that I am disappointed by them only allowing 10 characters per account a single player game. I would expect that from a crappy console port not from a game programmed and developed for the PC.   Oh and as for your every single player RPG has limited save slots, oh really BG1 and 2, IWD 1 and 2, Fallout 1,2,3, new vegas, KOTRO 1 and 2, Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 did not have limited save slots so your logic is wrong! Also what part of saved on the cloud do you not understand?

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Yep greedy lazy Blizzard.

Where are my portal worlds blizzard?!!?!?!? 

You said that ill be able to pass through portals in outlands and they would lead to entire new zones...

All Blizzard does is lie... and take money.

:(

lol

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

So really all i get from you is that you're a troll.. you have no point to prove, you're just here to be a headache.

No more than you are a troll when you inform everyone how wrong they are about blizzard. So If I am a troll for poking fun at things I find illogical then that makes you a troll for trying to finds way to say Blizzard is great!

Isn’t it fun to call other people trolls! 

You make me smile.. though anything you write in favor of blizzard or even that sounds logical will fall on deaf ears.

After all this is a post that is just full of intelligence and forethought, I can see it know opening people’s eyes to knowledge that they have never seen or heard before! 

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Originally posted by crazynanny

Diablo 3 will be completely different beast. And every person that can see world in more than black-white colors will know that no LAN, no offline play and no mods have reasons other than just pissing off customers "because we can". Sure You may not like it as those things might be key for You. But raging at forums and bashing Blizzard just because they don't care about You isn't mature at all. It's just acting like selfish brat. Get over it, grab TL2, have fun. The world doesn't spin around You(or me), realize that and still learn to be happy :)

I find it funny that you compare complaining gamers with little kids having a fuss, crazynanny :p And of course the world doesnt spin around us, but then Diablo 3 is not the world.

Do you really believe that no gaming company ever changed their game because of forums going berserk about their game? Companies (especially game companies) do care about their image on the internet (also Blizzard) and selling their products. The moment they think it is getting out of hand and the negative opinions starts to impact the support for their upcoming game, they will make changes.

So keep on riotting and pointing out how TL2 does things better! :p

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

After the recent news about Torchlight II's features, such as:

-COMPLETELY Randomized Dungeons

-Offline Play

-No Real Money AH

-Retails for $20

-LAN

AND

-FULLY MODDABLE

It's almost blindingly obvious how MUCH the Torchlight developers truly care for their fanbase. Unfortunately for me I can't get into Torchlight because of it's kindergarten style graphics so i won't be playing it, but overall it seems like they ACTUALLY give a damn about continueing their own product & growing their fanbase.

Yet, Blizzard on the other hand WILL have the following "features" for their Diablo III release:

-NO LAN PLAY

-RETAILS FOR $50-60 (betting on $60)

-NOT MODDABLE

-ONLINE PLAY ONLY (single player was removed)

-REAL $$ Auction Houses

-Dungeons that are NOT random (e.g: each area has MAYBE 2-3 different varients, that is NOT random).

-An inventory & item system taken directly from WoW

So, YEA.....totally depressed now, because the Diablo franchise has been shat all over :'(

It doesn't matter.

They will probably sell more boxes in the first month than any other game they've made.  It won't hurt them one bit.

Originally posted by DAS1337

It doesn't matter.

They will probably sell more boxes in the first month than any other game they've made.  It won't hurt them one bit.

Oh I will have to remember this post and see if D3 beats World of Warcraft sales record. That is a huge prediction you made there out of your fandom it will be interesting to see if you are right.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Originally posted by DAS1337

It doesn't matter.

Oh I will have to remember this post and see if D3 beats World of Warcraft sales record. That is a huge prediction you made there out of your fandom it will be interesting to see if you are right.

It wouldnt surprise me....everyone in my household played my copy of D2.

I dont play PC games anymore(enjoy my 360 these days since sitting at the PC too long hurts me), but this is one I will eventually pick up for sure.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.