Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you see this game succeeding? Honest opinion and no trolling please. *poll*

The title pretty much explains what this topic is about. I think so far the game looks good. And might surprise the "haters." But i myself chosing option no.3 because, i can't really pass a valid comment until i have played the game. I try not to judge games by videos.

Currently Playing: SSFIV AE, SFxTekken, SWTOR, WoW. Waiting for: GW2, Resident Evil 6.

Comments

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

I think it will be the biggest P2P MMO success we've seen in many years. Sadly I say that with a heavy heart as the closer it gets to launch and the more information I read or see about it and other upcoming games and this one I think i'll be spending more time in one or two others. I'll still buy it and try it but I doubt it will be the one to hold me.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

I'm a semi-pro fence sitter but I do think this game will do well.

Will I play it? Probably. Will I stay more than a month? I don't know.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • NoobkilarNoobkilar Member Posts: 175

Originally posted by grunty

I'm a semi-pro fence sitter but I do think this game will do well.

Will I play it? Probably. Will I stay more than a month? I don't know.

agreed

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

For the long term ? No way.  I say 3-6 months then they will be looking elswhere.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

It will sell more than any other MMORPG title since WOW.....whether it will dethrone the champ remains to be seen.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• LeoghanLeoghan Member Posts: 607

It will sell well and it will have a decent size community large enough to sustain its development. I am very skeptical that it will be anything as big some people claim it will be or that it will be as revolutionary as some people feel it will. It adds story to MMO's but if the latest gameplay video shows anything, it shows that it does not revolutionize gameplay. I personally do not believe story alone will revolutionize the market or energize the masses. 

To me that still spells success, so I voted yes, but I know others hold much higher aspirations for this game. 

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673

The only problem I see with this post was highlighted (surprisingly) by one poster is what exactly are the parameters of success is it simply that the game will sell well, sustain subs?

For me I'd say definitively yes it will sell well and regardless of what the haters say it will sustain a decent amount of subs too.  Bioware games have always had amazing replay value for me and I've seen quite a few other posters comment the same I still play DA:O as well as ME2 so I have a hard time seeing why when they are following so many of the conventions that make the games they currently have so replayable that it will change for the many fans of rp's,stories and Bioware games in particular.

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

long or shortterm?

long run doubt it cause of the very solo like feeling with so much companions and the obvious been there/done that before feeling (something many newcomers will have to face soon).

short term - absolutely the hype is already at Failhammer levels and will only continue to rise ->more preorders.

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Honestly I do.  I think it will bump Rift out of the #2 spot in the west in terms of subscribership.  I think it will do well in a wide range of demographics because SW fans (and MMO fans) range from 6 to 60+.  I think the solo-oriented storyline play will appeal to casuals.  I expect the hardcores will rip up the levels and settle in to endgame content.

I'm hoping that it can hold playerbase.  The only way it will do so is with frequent content patches and continued advertising.  We'll see if this happens.

I consider WoW as its #1 competition in the market.  Certainly Blizzard will fight back, but given their recent management decisions I'm not sure if that will be effective.  Assuming time to level cap is reasonably brief, SW:TOR will build it's core of raiders and assuming they are kept sufficiently occupied (that's a big question in my mind) then eventually it will hit critical mass and bring in more playerbase with referral programs.

My only real concern at this point is hype.  Expecting too much leads to disappointment.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • davvindavvin Member UncommonPosts: 154

I'm positive it will do well, you've got tons of Star Wars and BioWare fans who will try it (many will probably never have tried an MMORPG before) along with tons of MMORPG players who are bored and are looking for a new game. It's being made by BioWare which is an excellent company that makes quality games, and whether it's what you're looking for or not they are playing to their strengths - telling a good story combined with good/decent gameplay, and they make games that have replayability.

So a solid base of players will buy it and try it, many of whom already enjoy the IP and the type of games that BioWare makes, as long as they don't screw up the release I'd say there's a good chance that they will keep a nice playerbase. At least that's my opinion.

• Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

In my opinion it will be pretty succesful, but i really don't think its a game for me.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

My thoughts a month ago was that it would eventually reach 2 million subscribers.  I'm not quite so optimistic anymore but yes it will be a success.

Personally I'm waiting for GW2 as I don't want another WOW type game and I don't like the time setting for TOR.   All they needed to get me to buy and try the game was open space combat and XWing/Tie Fighter types of missions/raids.  Maybe the expac will have that.

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657

It will sell alot of copies becasue it says Star Wars on it, but I think that after the new shine wears away and people se it really is just the same thing with a new skin it will lose subs. It won't fail as people like to say but it won't be as successful as everyone thinks.

• kegtapkegtap Member Posts: 261

SWG lasted 8 years so I can't see this game having a short life span. As far as how many people will be playing no one knows.

I can feel your anger. This game is defenseless. Take your weapon. Strike this game down with all of your hatred, and your journey towards towards the Dark Side will be complete.

• TbagginzTbagginz Member Posts: 15

I voted yes because  It being star wars and a mmorpg. That alone is going to bring many players. Im also sure that it will hold up for awhile because of all the classes have diffrent story lines to follow. So if you cap out one class and your finally bored of endgame content. You can reroll a new toon and not be burned out with the same olld quest line. Thats just brilliant. Sure as your leveling it will be mostly solo play , but people solo play till endgame most of the time anyway.

The game sounds amazing to me and i cant wait to play it.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

I think it will be wildly successful the first 2-4 months.  After that, I don't know if it will have much staying power.

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673

Originally posted by Cromica

It will sell alot of copies becasue it says Star Wars on it, but I think that after the new shine wears away and people se it really is just the same thing with a new skin it will lose subs. It won't fail as people like to say but it won't be as successful as everyone thinks.

What parameters are you using when saying as successful as everyone thinks?  I've heard this phrase used a few times but I think if one wants to comment they don't think it will be as successful as "everyone" thinks you should be adding maybe what exactly the level of success you are talking about because it doesn't say much since I rarely hear anyone put specific numbers on it.  will it not sell a million? two million?

• LeoghanLeoghan Member Posts: 607

Originally posted by raistlinm

Originally posted by Cromica

What parameters are you using when saying as successful as everyone thinks?  I've heard this phrase used a few times but I think if one wants to comment they don't think it will be as successful as "everyone" thinks you should be adding maybe what exactly the level of success you are talking about because it doesn't say much since I rarely hear anyone put specific numbers on it.  will it not sell a million? two million?

Can't comment for the other poster, but in my opinion it will probably sell 1-2 million, but after awhile only retain 350-500K subs, maybe as much as 750K. This is still very successful, but there are people here and on the SWTOR forums that think it will have any where from 1 to 5 million subs a year from now. I just don't see that happening. 

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Short term yes. It will sell like hot cakes.

Long term, maybe. It all depends if they are willing to adapt to the needs of the player and the competitors.

Wow, Rift, GW2 and TOR will have a hard fight in the upcoming year. We'll see which one will react faster and adapt more closely to the market.

• mcburlymcburly Member Posts: 234

watching my friend play the beta tells me this game is going to be a big hit. It looks that good.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

I think it will probably sell a couple of million units initially, and lose some subs after the first month but not enough to make the game a failure. I'd say the 2-3 million region is a fair estimate.

The one problem I can see is the possibility of fan disappointment. We all love Star Wars, but will it truly feel like Star Wars? From what I've seen so far, the more I read about this game, the less I am convinced that it is a true representaiotn of the Star Wars universe, and more of a traditional MMO in a Star Wars setting. I don't say it's WoW in space as some have commented, but I don't think that's too far off the mark.

I'm not convinced that the class system will feel right. It just doesn't fit with my idea of Star Wars. IF they get that right they'll probably do well enough. IF they get it wrong then we'll see more subs being cancelled. Only time will tell, but for me personaly, I have lost all interest in this title.

• SgtFabulousSgtFabulous Member Posts: 42

It's going to succeed money wise and subscriber wise for sure, but I don't think it will succeed in the long run after the first month.

• quentin405quentin405 Member Posts: 468

Well, I hope it does. Really excited for it, can't wait. If it sucks I doubt I will ever play another MMORPG, I thought I was done for good before, then started following TOR.. It's like my last hope to stay an mmo gamer.  Otherwise I will play all my 100's of indie games, and FPS games lol.

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

Look, I've been a TORfan for years now, but each day that goes by I feel alittle estranged. 

I was willing to forgive the RD issues. I was super excited for the september beta test, Which was confirmed several times. BW loves wordplay so they never give a pure date, but this time they gave a range. September. http://darthhater.com/2011/07/21/ea-details-beta-test-weekends-in-september/ .

Now at gamescon this past week; they said weekends starting in the fall.  (When BW gives you a window instead of a solid date, it means they pushed it back.) 

I'm losing faith in TOR's future. Yeah; the game has to come out first, but if it's taking us this long to see the game, how long will it take us to see an expansion? Since they have so much content it's already going to almost double the production time it takes Blizzard to produce a new expansion. 

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• xZeRGzxZeRGz Member Posts: 118

I think that once the veil is lifted, most people will be pleasantly surprised.

It will easily take over the number two spot... maybe more, who knows.