Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Let me share with you, my short experience playing rift..

micaelmoraismicaelmorais Member Posts: 88

well i stoped playing rift when i reach for the first time a dungeon i were lvl19 and i had to complete a dungeon that were part of my important history progression.

well it were a lvl17 recomended dungeon, i thought it was easy just because it were my first dungeon, i just get in and lured the first mob and died with 2 hits after that i figure out rift its a party dependance game.

I had a really bad impression about rift i didnt expect  so much party dependance for a game,

after that i uninstall rift and i dont have intention to come back.

Comments

• DominionlordDominionlord Member UncommonPosts: 180

other then dungeons, which i think should require a party, the rest of the game you can solo to 50. if it had better crafting/pvp/non-combat things to do i woulda stuck around.

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

I remember getting to the first dungeon in Rift and having the same thing happen to me cept we had full group of low levels. 

• andreika111andreika111 Member UncommonPosts: 88

wow, you have never played a wow clone?

• micaelmoraismicaelmorais Member Posts: 88

Originally posted by andreika111

I left wow just to play rift because i thought rift had something fresh to offer......... but i were completely wrong...shame on me.

• SnoepieSnoepie Member UncommonPosts: 485

Originally posted by micaelmorais

I left wow just to play rift because i thought rift had something fresh to offer......... but i were completely wrong...shame on me.

like you go through the deadmines with 2 levels higher then require.. ???

i don't play rift tho.. but your statement is just not correct..

• gracefieldgracefield Member UncommonPosts: 279

Originally posted by servedogg

I'm not sure if this post is a troll or just someone who is oblivious to the genre.  

Either way, it is incredibly easy to solo to max level in Rift just doing non-dungeon quests.  I'm not sure what the problem is.

I play a game for its story i think story is a important interest in game but force casual players goes into dungeons to understand the story, thats not a good step for a inovation game.

I think i were very clear, dont you think???

I were thinking no...

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673

well i stoped playing rift when i reach for the first time a dungeon i were lvl19 and i had to complete a dungeon that were part of my important history progression.

well it were a lvl17 recomended dungeon, i thought it was easy just because it were my first dungeon, i just get in and lured the first mob and died with 2 hits after that i figure out rift its a party dependance game.

I had a really bad impression about rift i didnt expect  so much party dependance for a game,

I don't know of one mmorpg where you can solo a dungeon by just being two levels over the recommended levels.  Was there something in Rift that gave you the impression that you would be able to solo dungeons?

Edit:ok after reading some of your later responses I get it you are more into the story (much like me) and are dissapointed that you would need to group to take part in that story, not sure what to tell you except that Rift is not so different from other mmorpg's in that to run a dungeon you need to be in a group or of a much higher level than the group usually ten levels or more.

And to the person who asked if the op is alien, he pays the same amount of money to play what he wants that you do nothing in the EULa that says he needs to play it the way you like it.

• KyarraKyarra Member UncommonPosts: 789

Ok I will say it, learn the word WAS..not were heh.

• EduardoASGEduardoASG Member Posts: 832

Originally posted by raistlinm

I don't know of one mmorpg where you can solo a dungeon by just being two levels over the recommended levels.  Was there something in Rift that gave you the impression that you would be able to solo dungeons?

Actually there are a few where you can.

DDO [ Dungeons and Dragons Online ] is just an example you can test by yourself since it f2p.

The party dependance of Rift to be able to reach high lvl gear is an issue common to many other mmos tho.. and its a reason that will lead to quiting for the typical casual playerbase.

Aion, AoC, AC, AO, DDO, Eve, Eq2, GW, MW3, L1&2, RF, RIFT, SWG, SWTOR, TR, UO, WOW, WAR
  • FozzikFozzik Member UncommonPosts: 539

I wonder if Rift's subscriber base continually scaling down could be considered a "dynamic event".

• phantiasmicphantiasmic Member Posts: 38

Uh I have played Rift since launch have 2 level 50's and multiple level 40-49's and ,my first level 50 got to 50 and only did 1 instance 1 time. Rest was all solo helping with invasions and rifts and quests along the way.

Now I will say this, some of the story line quests are actually kind of tough and you cannot solo those, but again it is an MMO massive multiplayer so at some point you need to group with people.

You can always argue "someone pays to play can play how they want" absolutely, but if you are paying for X and you expect Y but the game you bought and paid for is X ... it just is not realstic.

When I am in the mood for solo game play I play games like Oblivion or Dragon Age

- I have played Everquest, DAOC, Shadowbane, WoW, Aion, Rift, SW Galaxies, Planetside and Guild Wars (all expacs)

• micaelmoraismicaelmorais Member Posts: 88

Well, maybe i am just tired of playing mmorpg.

nowadays i find my self playing witcher 2 and im having a good time there.

I will take a pause and i will come back for guild wars 2 but i dont have any intention to come back for rift.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

RIFT is the most solo friendly MMO there is, it's so easy to solo a 5 year old can get to 50 without breaking a sweat.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I just have to chuckle because it reminded me of something from guild chat a few years back (paraphrased)...

Him: I can't solo a group dungeon.

Me: That's because it's a group dungeon.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • ArthineasArthineas Member Posts: 231

Originally posted by ActionMMORPG

I just have to chuckle because it reminded me of something from guild chat a few years back (paraphrased)...

Him: I can't solo a group dungeon.

Me: That's because it's a group dungeon.

Exactly what I was thinking.  I mean really, what did you expect OP?  It is well known that you need a full group to do any of the dungeons. 

On the bright side however Trion is adding solo dungeons soon ;)

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

you are not missing much if you skipped that quest

dungeons were not intended to be solo (yet)

in future game update,

the game is adding soloable dungeons

until then - just skip dungeons if you dont want to group

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

party dependent,i would say no,i soloed and was bored stiff.Anyhoot whoda thunk a MMO would be about playing with others,,,hmm idk maybe just me ,but i commend games for doing so.If you want to play alone,then play single player game,that is their design.

I think most games,example Eq2 do it right,the drops are dependent on grouping,but you CAN solo them IF you wait until you are several levels above the content and the drops.However don't go complaining that you wanted to solo in a MMO,and your drops are 3-8 levels below your level.IMo this is the proper way to design content,keep it true to being a MMO,but don't totally deny the content to soloers.

In saying this ,if i had my way,i'd go the original FFXI design,all out grouping,that is what makes friends.team work and community,not soloing.

IMO gaming is like sports,you have your tennis to solo and you have your football to be part of a team.Don't join a football team and complain you can't play solo,and don't join tennis and expect to play with 10 friends.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• PaithanPaithan Member Posts: 377

Dungeons arent required at all to get to the max lvl, at that point you will ofcourse have to run them to gear up.

The dungeon you speak of can be skipped till you reach the max lvl, you wont be able to complete the whole chain anyway considering they involve GSB , one of the raid zones.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

in most game and rift isnt exeption!if you skip story quest (like it is named in rift)
    you skip lot of good stuff ,and some are mandatory to progress in some stuff.no doing it means you wont see lot of stuff!but it isnt needed to reach max level.it is tho needed to reach endgame!cause lets face it in ALL game,max level is hardly endgame lol.often fun and good content start there.

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361

Originally posted by Snoepie

Deadmines you say? Are you comparing WoW's Dungeons to Rifts? Because Rift's dungeons are a hell of alot more fun and challanging too do then World of Warcrafts dungeons... all the dungeons in WoW are so easy now you can heal with your hands tied behind your back. The heroics are a joke, I was pulling multiple mobs on me and our group was training the whole way through a heroic deadmines run.... the only thing challanging/fun about the game is the raiding. I'm not saying that Rifts dungeons are hard, but at least trion knows to at least put some challange in the game.

Rift puts your WoW Dungeons too shame.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Rift isn't a bad game. It's polished and decently designed.

It's main fault is it's just more of the same themepark MMO content we've been fed for the last seven years. I enjoyed my time playing it, I just got bored when I hit level cap and only had raiding to look forward to... which is exactly what caused me to quit WoW after six years. I was just sick of endgame raiding with nothing else to do.

For players who aren't burnt out on that MMO model, it's a great game.

• thecipherthecipher Member UncommonPosts: 146

The main difference between  Rift and (most) other MMO's is their soul system, and the ability to switch specs on the fly. Don't want to wait around for a dungeon group? Make sure you have a healer or tank spec (or both), and queue up as that. Don't like playing those roles? Welcome to 90% of the MMO population, and the waiting times that follow.

However, having that flexibility means that you should be able to get a group for it. Don't want that either, and just want to get on with your story quests? Get a high level guildie to help you out. MMO's are a social affair, and even if you want to solo your way to the top, most of the activities there are party based.  There are ways around the group stuff until you get to cap though, but they require patience, or being, you know, social.

http://machineborn.guildportal.com - Now recruiting players!

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620

Originally posted by Ceridith

Rift isn't a bad game. It's polished and decently designed.

It's main fault is it's just more of the same themepark MMO content we've been fed for the last seven years. I enjoyed my time playing it, I just got bored when I hit level cap and only had raiding to look forward to... which is exactly what caused me to quit WoW after six years. I was just sick of endgame raiding with nothing else to do.

For players who aren't burnt out on that MMO model, it's a great game.

Pretty much that.  The raiding game in RIFT is awesome.  The solo, single group, and PvP content is extremely lacking.  I like to raid but don't want to spend all my time doing that, which pretty much killed RIFT for me.

• SgtFabulousSgtFabulous Member Posts: 42

You quit playing an MMORPG because the dungeons were party dependent? This is one of thee dumbest things I've ever heard... In almost every single MMORPG, dungeons are for group/party play...

• SgtFabulousSgtFabulous Member Posts: 42

Originally posted by trash656

Originally posted by Snoepie

Deadmines you say? Are you comparing WoW's Dungeons to Rifts? Because Rift's dungeons are a hell of alot more fun and challanging too do then World of Warcrafts dungeons... all the dungeons in WoW are so easy now you can heal with your hands tied behind your back. The heroics are a joke, I was pulling multiple mobs on me and our group was training the whole way through a heroic deadmines run.... the only thing challanging/fun about the game is the raiding. I'm not saying that Rifts dungeons are hard, but at least trion knows to at least put some challange in the game.

Rift puts your WoW Dungeons too shame.

I certainly agree with this, WoW dungeons are so rediculously easy, it ruins all challenge of the game just to get the shiny at the end. With WoW dungeons, their just not fun because their not challenging and you just tank and spank everything it seems. All dungeons I've played in Rift are pretty exciting and hard, and have wiped multiple times which NEVER happend to me in WoW.