Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A lil annoyed about the game shut down..

12346»

Comments

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

This news article reminds me that perhaps it is not all LA, but EA muscling in and preventing SWG operating alongside SWTOR. Although it is still LA for listening to EA. EA suggests to LA that it best not to have SWG operating at the same time as SWTOR, and then LA puts SOE off from renewing licence

They did it with NFL, and now Forza 4, and no doubt to SWG too

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Originally posted by superniceguy

I said in the previous post that I do not think that LA/EA/Bioware will offer Lifetime subs for SWTOR. If this comes true, then claims of me being delusional start to lose merit.

Lifetime subscriptions are something very common in a number of mmos these days.   How would that comfirm any of your conspiracy theories?

For that matter how does anything you said even tie together to make some conclusion?  Most of it is baseless assumptions that contradict things SOE has directly said. 

Originally posted by Daffid011

I said in the previous post that I do not think that LA/EA/Bioware will offer Lifetime subs for SWTOR. If this comes true, then claims of me being delusional start to lose merit.

Lifetime subscriptions are something very common in a number of mmos these days.   How would that comfirm any of your conspiracy theories?

For that matter how does anything you said even tie together to make some conclusion?  Most of it is baseless assumptions that contradict things SOE has directly said. 

You misunderstand what I say - I am not saying that lifetime subs will be offerred with SWTOR - Thats the thing. Lifetime subscriptions are very common, and chances are high that SWTOR will have it, but I am saying that SWTOR will NOT have it because LA and EA are just too greedy.

What I have said has not contradicted what SOE have said at all.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Whats Delibertae?

Yes, I read it, and it does not say that at all, it is just your interpretaion of it

Considering SWTOR was being released, and the fact that LA changed their policies to not deal with 3rd party sources, LA no doubted hiked up the licence cost by loads to what it was previous years,

I read somewhere that Smed and LA even looked at the possibility of it going F2P

LA are greedy, they want their hand in everything. A couple of months ago they shut down a Star Wars marathon, even though people were not paying for it. They are spol sports. I guess they want you all to buy the DVDs and whatever, but chances are everyone probably had them, but it was a party, where everyone got together.

Last month there was a prop designer from the UK making Stormtrooper helmets and got sued by Lucas, but this time Lucas lost, although the prop designer could only sell within the UK

Lucas is always in court suing people who try to do anything public with Star Wars, even if it is for a good cause. Dress up as Vader in a fancy dress party, and if anyone from Lucas sees you, you will end up being hit by a Law suit, its getting ridiculous.

The price of the collectors edition is well over priced, and when I bought SWG collectors edition it only cost me half that, and that included international shipping and  import costs from the US to the UK

I bet they won't even go for a lifetime subscription either - make people pay $1000s for another 8 years or so.

SOE are just the Fall Guys.

LA are the nuisance, and the ones causing all the grief, and sound a right pain to do business with, especially if they are now going snobbish, and not letting others develop for them, and now going to be doing everything themselves

The closing of SWG will be good for SOE, they can now rebuild their reputation. They lost their repuation, with LAs desire for more money. LA came up with the NGE and CU, and made SOE do it. SOE had to do it, or LA would have shut down SWG there and then.

I was believing it was SOE coming up with the Fairy wings, until they brought in the Fedora and whip staright from Indiana Jones. There is no way SOE would have done that, that came straight from LA. If that came from LA, then so did the fairy wings. LA have been doing all these stupid things to put people off SWG, so they would easily move to SWTOR.

LA are playing us all, and those who buy into SWTOR will be the fools

So let me get this straight, you were given links/quotes that directly contradicts what you are saying but you still won't believe what SOE is saying?

You do realize that SOE is a public company and what they say has to be technically 'true' right?

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

You misunderstand what I say - I am not saying that lifetime subs will be offerred with SWTOR - Thats the thing. Lifetime subscriptions are very common, and chances are high that SWTOR will have it, but I am saying that SWTOR will NOT have it because LA and EA are just too greedy.

Lifetime Subs are far from common, and the only games that have had it.. oh yeah.. they went F2P or are bordering on extinction..  the games that have had Lifetime subs have often been slammed for just that reason, so much so, that offering a lifetime sub for a game, gives the impression that the developers don't have much faith in its longevity..  chances are, there won't be any AAA titles with lifetime subs, the negativity associated with the practice, and the potential impact on the games profitability most likely exclude that particular sub type from all future games, at least the ones that don't intend to go F2P 6 months later image

Originally posted by Phry

Lifetime Subs are far from common, and the only games that have had it.. oh yeah.. they went F2P or are bordering on extinction..  the games that have had Lifetime subs have often been slammed for just that reason, so much so, that offering a lifetime sub for a game, gives the impression that the developers don't have much faith in its longevity..  chances are, there won't be any AAA titles with lifetime subs, the negativity associated with the practice, and the potential impact on the games profitability most likely exclude that particular sub type from all future games, at least the ones that don't intend to go F2P 6 months later image

Lifetime subs have been offered with every major release over the last few years. It does not give the impression that the devs don't have much faith in its longevity at all. It gives people a reason to sub to multiple MMOs.Subbing to one MMO is fine, but subbing to multiples gets expensive fast. I certainly will not bother with SWTOR if there is no LT sub, as I am not spending $1000s across the years ever again after SWG. It is all a waste of money when they then shut down, especially when I can play games like STO, LOTRO and Champions online for free, as already have paid LT subs to them. The only MMOs I will be subbing to on a monthly basis after SWG, will be City of Heroes and SOE Alll access. They offered LT subs to DC Universe but is a waste if you are on All Access anyway for EQ2 and Vanguard. SWG was also a part of this, so SWTOR if have to sub monthly will be a further £10/$15 per month - not happening - too much to deal with (for time and money).

If I do play SWTOR under a monthly fee I will just hammer it in  1-2 months and then quit until the next update/expansion, and in the end when SWTOR shuts down only pay the equivalent of a LT sub or even less, but if they offer LT subs then will go for that, and take my time with it and enjoy it more so.

People have been putting SWTOR on a pedestal, and worshipping it all these years, but if they then give people the opportunity to get a LT sub on it, it is then fail? Get real!

Lifetime subscriptions are a sign that a company has no faith in their product and they think they will make more money from advanced subscription sales than they will over the long haul.

If SWTOR doesn't have lifetime subscriptions it simply means that bioware has faith in their game and nothing towards reinforcing your claims of whatever you are trying to say.

Lifetime subscriptions are a sign that a company has no faith in their product and they think they will make more money from advanced subscription sales than they will over the long haul.

If SWTOR doesn't have lifetime subscriptions it simply means that bioware has faith in their game and nothing towards reinforcing your claims of whatever you are trying to say.

That is just one negative point of view of LT subs, because their product is not the only MMO on the market, and it is not jiust being about the best or better than whats out there, as people who are fully involved in the existing MMOs will not just give it up and go play something else, even if it is awesome SWTOR, as it is in effect just abanding on all your progress for something else. Even if you can afford mulktiple MMOs, there is still the time factor. For me SWG took up all my time, and had none left for other MMOs. Other people could be the same for WOW, LOTRO, STO etc etc.

Lifetime subscriptions also offer more payment plans to people, some people may want to just sub now and then instead of pay a load upfront.

Personally I am debating whether to go for a lifetime sub or not with SWTOR if there is one. SWTOR looks like it is a game to play for a while, and then nothing to keep you hooked once you have completed the content, unlike SWG, so it could end up being a waste of money, and be cheaper just to sub

Lifetime subs also keeps a constant flow of people playing, without cancelling and reactivating subs, and can spread your time across many MMOs, and always be available. A friend wanted to play Phantasy Star Universe with the other day, and I could not as was unsubbed, and had no money left to sub to that as well

As SWTOR will have a shop too, they will be constantly raking it in. I never spent any money on the TCG with SWG, but if I had a lifetime sub with SWG, I would have done, as thought the monthly fee was plenty enough. If SWTOR has no LT sub then I will not spend any more money in their shop too.

SWTOR may be great, but all the other MMOs I have gotten stuck into, like City of Heroes, EQ2, Vanguard, STO, Champions Online, LOTRO and  Ihave not maxed 1 character in any of them and they still have plenty of life left in them for me, but I have just ignored because SWG has just kept me hooked. Now I will go and finish these games off before starting on SWTOR. I would hate to be playing SWTOR and then these other MMOs start to shut down before I get the chance to get more out of them.  Howvever if they do offer LT subs, then will get in on the action from day 1, and as it is Star Wars, could get involved in it again as much as SWG too. If I want to play the other MMOs then I will not get the most of out of my monthly subs, but once you have paid LT subs then it doesn't matter.

I have probably only gotten 1 months worth playtime out of STO and Champions Online, after paying a LT sub for it. So far Cryptic have gotten more money from me, than if I just paid a monthly sub, but thanks to the LT sub to STO, I played it every Sat they brought in a new episode content. I would have missed that if subbing monthly, because I would not be subbing, but subbing to SWG instead. Missing out on that would then discorage me to sub to it later, as it has done with WOW, which I have not subbed to oncem there has been loads of contnet come and go that I will never get to play, and just do not feel like playing it now. If it was the only MMO around, then may do, but as other MMOs interest me, then they take priority.

After SWG, I am not going to be spending any more than a value of a LT sub the whole time SWTOR is up and running. One day it will close and none of it will then matter.  If there is no LT sub, I will just dedicate my life to it for a month or two, get all the enjoyment I can out of it, then quit. The time when I will start paying a monthly sub fee constantly, is when I am done with all the others, and not paying a montly fee to other MMOs I have started.

Console games are starting to look more attractive, you just buy them once, and play them forever, or resell them and get most of your money back, especially if you are buying old games that cost less than a monthly fee to a MMO

So, there are more reasons to consider offering LT subs than it just being lack of faith of their product

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by superniceguyLifetime

subscriptions also offer more payment plans to people, some people may want to just sub now and then instead of pay a load upfront.

Personally I am debating whether to go for a lifetime sub or not with SWTOR if there is one. SWTOR looks like it is a game to play for a while, and then nothing to keep you hooked once you have completed the content, unlike SWG, so it could end up being a waste of money, and be cheaper just to sub

You play SWG 14 hours a day right now (98 hours past 7 days per your sig) - I truthfully believe a subscription, not a lifetime sub (assuming one is offered) is your best bet. VERY few games will entertain you, or anyone that games 14 hours a day. It's simply not feasible.

I suggest you not waste your money at all on MMOs and simply stick to (as you suggested) cheap console games. For you, they'll probably be much cheaper.

So, there are more reasons to consider offering LT subs than it just being lack of faith of their product

I don't really agree with most of what you said, but truth be told it was difficult to follow your logic. 

Almost every single game that has offered lifetime subscription fees was doing poorly after release, changing revenue models or both.  Rest assured that if a company is offering lifetime access for $200, it is because the bean counters have determined that the company will make more money from players than if they were to only charge $15 a month.  The only way for that to happen is for players to not play longer than 13 or so months worth of subscription periods.

Seeing a game offer a lifetime subscription is a huge red flag. 

Originally posted by TUX426

Originally posted by superniceguyLifetime

subscriptions also offer more payment plans to people, some people may want to just sub now and then instead of pay a load upfront.

You play SWG 14 hours a day right now (98 hours past 7 days per your sig) - I truthfully believe a subscription, not a lifetime sub (assuming one is offered) is your best bet. VERY few games will entertain you, or anyone that games 14 hours a day. It's simply not feasible.

I suggest you not waste your money at all on MMOs and simply stick to (as you suggested) cheap console games. For you, they'll probably be much cheaper.

Thats the thing though with SWG, you can never finish it, especially if you get into crafting, as always have to be on the look out for the best resources. Even if you get them, you will have to get more when they run out. You can not just log, max a trader to 90, drop some harvs, and then be the best trader. You have seek out the best, either buy them at crazy expensive prices especially the very highest quality or wait for some to spawn, which could be months or years.

In other MMOs, and no doubt be like it in SWTOR, you can just log, harvest the resources which will be the same quaiity although may get some variations like in LOTRO, which are like light hide, medium hide, sturdy hide etc (haven't played in a while so exact names may not be that)

This is what has kept me hooked, as well as all the updates SOE keep doing, even up until now.

If the crafting system is any good in SWTOR, then that may be what will keep me hooked and playing SWTOR constantly, even if not as in depth as SWG.  Then LT sub would be warranted

At the moment I am playing SWG, and only SWG, because it is closing, otherwise I would be doing other things, playing other console games and MMOs, and so LT sub would benefit for SWTOR, as would be able to spend more time finishing off STO and LOTRO, and then put 2 hours a week to SWTOR, like I did with STO when playing SWG. I am not going to be playing 100 hours a week on SWTOR, unless there will be no LT sub, as then will just play it when not subbed to City of Heroes or SOE All access for a month or two. SWG has been the only MMO where I could really stomach long play sessions. After 2 hours or so with STO, I have had enough, so chances are I will probably spread my time acoss all other MMOs, but if I have to go subbing monthly to SWTOR and only play 2 hours a week, the monthly fee will be too much / not worth it, so will not sub then.

Other MMOs take priority over SWTOR, as SWTOR is fresh and no chances of it closing down any time soon. STO could be the next one to close, if Perfect World can not get it to go F2P, due to a Star Trek license like SWG.

Basically a LT sub would just get me into SWTOR, and help get me get over SWG. When I first started SWG LT subs were not even thought of, and there was not much competion other than EQ1. There were others but I never knew they existed. Now I've got EQ1, EQ2, Vanguard, DC UNiverse, LOTRO, City of Heroes, Champions Online and STO all costing me just over 2 subs of SWTOR per month, as just paying for City of Heroes and SOE all access. I also have my eye on Aion, WOW, EVE and a few others, but these all still have monthly subs and the reason I have not played them or just touched them briefly with their first 30 days free. Once SWG closes, my time will be split across all of them evenly. If SWTOR gets added to that too, then the amount of time on each one will severly get reduced, making monthly sub fees rather costlty, and I may alternate City of Heroes and SWTOR. But overall it would be good to get a LT sub, then will always be avaulable to play, instead of telling my friends  "I will be able to play in 18 days once City of Heroes runs out!"

Will have to see. SWG was a good run, and I got addicted to it, and has cost me loads of money looking back over the years, and would have kept paying it too, but I just do not have it in me to get into it like that again. Playing 14 hours a day on one game, will be a thing of the past after Dec 15th

By the way I think a week on Xfire stats is 8 days, the past 7 days plus the current day. If it is like 8am it will be 7 days, but at midnight or so it will be 8 days.