Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Gamescom - A Massive Disappointment

Comments

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Im not really convinced the game will release in 2011.  Im not saying it wont, but I do have doubts.  

Correct me if Im wrong, but doesnt Bioware have a tendency to delay game releases?  Not that they've really announced a specific release date anyways, and really, if it were coming out this year, I really would have thought they would have. 

The fact that there's not a release date at this point to me is telling.  Plus the fact Bioware (as far as I remember) is notorious for pushing back games, has me thinking that release may be a bit farther away than many fans may think. 

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

Look we wont get a hard release date till they do there stress testing of servers in september. How people havent figured that out yet is beyond me. Bioware has pretty much stated that until they stress test servers they wont have any new info on release date or how many people per server. 

As far as world pvp we know they have zones even on pve servers on most planets that are pvp zones. We know that they have a whole planet at end game devoted to pvp on all types of servers. So we know world pvp is gonna be a  big thing with them we just havent figured out how they will implement it.

From what ive read they play on releasing that info at pax. If we dont find out more on world pvp at pax then be disappointed. Truth is i always expected gamescon to be mostly a rehash of what they revealed at comic con. 

So im not disappointed even though i want more info. And would love to see a friday update that details character creation. What species can be what classes would be nice as well. 

That said i think at pax will be a bigger deal to bioware then gamescon and thats nothing against europe, just that it feels like they put the us first as it looks like while they will do a release as close together as they can us will get released first before europe.

Not to mention europe has a few more game conventions bioware will be at in future.

• Originally posted by Corehaven

Im not really convinced the game will release in 2011.  Im not saying it wont, but I do have doubts.  

Correct me if Im wrong, but doesnt Bioware have a tendency to delay game releases?  Not that they've really announced a specific release date anyways, and really, if it were coming out this year, I really would have thought they would have. 

The fact that there's not a release date at this point to me is telling.  Plus the fact Bioware (as far as I remember) is notorious for pushing back games, has me thinking that release may be a bit farther away than many fans may think. 

regarding the release date, this is from the EA earning call last month and is about tor:

As we get into the bulk of the summer we're going to be ramping up our beta campaign and by the time we get to around September we'll be in a position to really call the ball give the hard ship date."

he one mistake we don't want to make is if there is an issue is to make sure that we ship the right product. We don't think that the long term ship window is going to change that. Most MMOs have been announced, in term of ship date, 4-8 weeks prior to introduction. That's fairly standard. "People have target quarters, but whether it's World of Warcraft, it was our last launch or Sony's last launch, 4-6 weeks is relatively typical. You usually want to have high-scale testing completed and under your belt before you open it up to the paying consumer because the paying consumer can be very harsh. They have high expectations: perfect performance. That's what we intend to provide at launch."

http://darthhater.com/2011/07/26/electronic-arts-q1-2012-earnings-conference-call/

now to me this means they want to see how the beta weekend stress tests in september go to make sure there is no huge glaring problem from the big influx of players that would cause them to delay.  but that is just speculation on my part

edit:  now this isn't to say it won't get pushed to 2012 because even they have acknowledge that its a possiblity but as of right now they are still trageting 2011

• gekkothegreygekkothegrey Member Posts: 236

I have the game pre ordered too, and your not wrong. I am a hugh star wars fan my cats name is Leia :) With that said I am not near as convinced as most that this game is going to be great, but I do hope I am wrong.

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

They have actually stated that. ON the dev blog they have answered questions on server populations and stuff and mentioned in everyone of them they wont know till after there stress tests in september. 

They will release holiday 2011 they arent gonna miss that target this game is close they just have to do some stress testing to find out if they have enough servers or not. 

Bioware wants the best launch ever if they can and they want a very smooth one. Im not saying it wont get delayed till 2012 but its highly unlikely. i think me and every body who pays attention figured a thanksgiving or early december release at latest . 

Im hoping for an october one but we can hope cant we.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

People ran to make their preorders, they dont need to show anything more, the game is already sold. Thats why they droped the ball.

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Originally posted by kalinis

They have actually stated that. ON the dev blog they have answered questions on server populations and stuff and mentioned in everyone of them they wont know till after there stress tests in september. 

They will release holiday 2011 they arent gonna miss that target this game is close they just have to do some stress testing to find out if they have enough servers or not. 

Bioware wants the best launch ever if they can and they want a very smooth one. Im not saying it wont get delayed till 2012 but its highly unlikely. i think me and every body who pays attention figured a thanksgiving or early december release at latest . 

At the moment latest release is November 15th I believe. Revan novel is out then and they have said it won't come out before the game, it contains to many spoilers.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

I didn't think they had a bad con at all at Gamescom. I was pleased with the info, at least. Maybe I just don't have an entitled attitude when it comes to game information and big reveals (I know I do for other things). Does there have to be a huge reveal at every con they visit? How long could they keep that up... ? I realize the game is about to come out, but they've released a ton of info in the past year already.

Of course I'm looking forward to major info releases like details on WPvP and the Legacy system and all the other magic buzzwords that us forum goers have recently latched onto to discuss, but I don't think they made a poor showing at this most recent con, not when they're attending another major convention a week later. It seems to me that they'd want to pace themselves.

Also, I think it was a pretty poor decision at best, a shameless grab for web traffic at worst, to start comparing SWTOR's showing to GW2. GW2 is playing catchup in the information release department in a lot of ways, and it didn't seem like they released all that much more info. You weren't thrilled with the info you got from Gamescom, that's all you really need to say without starting a pissing contest between the fans of both games here on the forums. That probably would have happened anyway, though... whatever, what do I know?

• waits1972waits1972 Member Posts: 46

I don't feel like I need to know all of the details of the game before launch.  In fact, a few suprises will be nice.  At this point I just want to know when the damn thing is coming out.

• UnsungTooUnsungToo Member Posts: 276

Not gonna let it harden the arteries. Pretty sure they want the game to come out as bad as the players do.

Godspeed my fellow gamer

• HurricanePipHurricanePip Member Posts: 167

Right on.  I'm sure the game will be a solid hotkey MMO, but the marketing has been questionable at best.  Too much hype and I haven't seen anything I can't convert to Rift or WoW terms.

If you don't worry about it, it's not a problem.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Originally posted by rt33

Yes many of us "clearly" understand what's going on, unfortunately there are far too many who "wont listen" and will learn the hard way, $150 plus hard way.

"Where’s the beef?" there isn't any and is why their hiding behind the veil, it's most certainly grab as much cash as you can before and at launch cause after that it's over.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. Companies like Bioware are not going to risk long term customers for short term cash. That is just stupid talk...

I just got yet another warning for posting the above comment. I am getting sick and tired of getting bans/warnings for speaking my mind. If I call mmorpg.com staff weak punks, will it get me a perma band? Please do it so that I won't be tempted to come here again. I love the site, but the staff here are STUPID!

• jedensuscgjedensuscg Member Posts: 209

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Once this game goes live people are going to finally realize how extensive the handholding is in this game.  You want any kind of challenge this game will NOT be for you.

I have already decided that I will not bother with this game.  I want at least some challenge in a MMO and a bit of being able to make my avatar somewhat unique.  No chance for that in this game.

You will see a lot of disappointed people once this game goes live.

Anyone else find the irony in how it seems that a large portion of people that frequent the SWTOR articles all claim they have already decided they will never bother with the game?

Sure seems these people are bothered enough with it that they have to "rescue" by constantly coming to the forum for the one game "they will never play".

• badgerAlumbadgerAlum Member Posts: 27

Originally posted by Puremallace

Originally posted by monarc333

The author hit the nail on the head. What about crafting? Yea, we've been told the details about it but wheres the vids on it? Why havent they shown any crafting vids at these gaming conventions? At this point, I find it hard to believe they will release the gam this year. Much to my shagrin. I'm excited about this game but I'm also nervous about the lack of info and playable demos being shown.

Here is the real issue I see with SWToR. Bioware seems to spread out and EA seems to be running the show. I mean honestly how long was the SWToR presentation before they were moving onto another game noone cares about?

SWToR should be there main focus, but it does not seem to be getting the attention it deserves.

By another game no one cares about, do you mean Fifa, or Battlefield?  MMO bias much?

• wrathzillawrathzilla Member UncommonPosts: 76

Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

Originally posted by Grotar89

Oh GW2 is no clone. It has more info than TOR which should launch soon,

I'm sure a prophet of your standing could tell us more about the last class in GW2, or the WvW and endgame in general then, or maybe when the game that will destroy everything out there will actually even enter closed beta.

Yeah, no.

Let me step up to the plate.

The last class is a Mesmer. Why? They have stated (if you really want to keep this argument going go ahead and ask me for sources, im just feeling lazy atm) That the last 2 classes (before they released the engineer) were something new and something from GW1. Therefore, since the ritualist/assassin/dervish/paragon werent going to be in GW2 in the first place it's either a Warrior (released) a Necromancer (released) a Ranger ( released) a Monk (healer class which became the guardian) an Elementalist (released) or a Mesmer (unreleased, most popular class in GW1.) So Mesmer = almost certainly that mysterious 8th class

The WvWvW has actually been discussed and part of one of the maps has been released. It's a 4 map battle, with each of the 3 server shards having a "home" map and then a neutral central map where you duke it out, if you capture a different server's portal in the central map you can teleport to their home map and start invading their lands. Umm lets see i believe it looks like this:

http://gwmaps.co.cc/include/images/wvwvw.jpeg

That's speculated to be part of the central map, with the shaded areas being a "fog of war" of sorts.

They have also stated that closed beta will be here by the end of the year, so my EXTREMELY rough estimate is probably november.

The only thing i cant answer you about off the top of my head is the end game, maybe someone else will tackle that.

Anyway, on topic, i think any company that goes to any of these game shows and doesn't show something that will keep their players interest for the new few days is just wasting their time, and it seems like that's exactly what BW did.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Originally posted by kalinis

Highly unlike statement is just a guess on your part.

• KuaidamKuaidam Member Posts: 183

I made a Poll just yesterday called SWTOR Supporters and Detractors: [Poll] Have you even read the Full Features List for this game?

Ok. i admit that I didn't go through the 18+ pages for this topic, cause frankly I've done it for other posts, and it all comes down to repeating over and over again the same lame arguments and over and over again people replying to those arguments and I just think we get nowhere like that.

Anyway, my point is in this case: There is a massive load of info already out for the game. Full feature list. Some people read it, some people don't. And there are some people who no matter what is revealed, they basically want a full strategy guide to the game before it's even out.

As others have said, yes, I am already convinced that I'm going to like the game, I already pre-ordered my CE, and I'm waiting on the edge of my seat for a beta invite and the oficial release date for the game. I do not need to know every single aspect of the game before it comes out. I want to be awed as I start my journey through The Old Republic.

• AnsilAnsil Member Posts: 13

awesome

• muser11muser11 Member UncommonPosts: 7

Originally posted by Binny45

I'm still disappointed that random people who've only just signed up on the website and haven't spent a dime are getting beta invites over those of us that have been there for years and have already handed over our money.

agree .. 

• AdamaiAdamai Member UncommonPosts: 476

what else is there to see.. you kids need to chill your baggy's.  the reason it wasnt so exciteing is because the hype has got you kids expecting great even fantastic amazeing awesome things from a game that just doesnt warrant such things..

you have already seen everything.

crafting

pvp exploration

space combat

story

char progression

come on guys you have all seen and played wow. you already know what this games like so why the dissapointment lol.

i was dissapointed a good 2 years ago with this game, i suppose it is finally nice to see that other people are also starting to see what im seeing and that hype is all just a load of propaganda to make you buy the starwars title.

the game is going to suck.. you have already played this title. except the one you played had a wow skin.

• pexisxpexisx Member Posts: 11

generation of whiners as i heard.

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370

Originally posted by Adamai

come on guys you have all seen and played wow. you already know what this games like so why the dissapointment lol.

i was dissapointed a good 2 years ago with this game, i suppose it is finally nice to see that other people are also starting to see what im seeing and that hype is all just a load of propaganda to make you buy the starwars title.

the game is going to suck.. you have already played this title. except the one you played had a wow skin.

OMG, you are SOOO cool and alternative!!!! You are my hero, how can I be like you???

Let's hate mainstream togetha boy ....hmm hmm

• lokiboardlokiboard Member UncommonPosts: 229

Ever hear the term, " Here's a dime, call someone who cares!"  ?    If you have a problem with reality, please talk to [email protected]      PEOPLE, ITS JUST A GAME!   Its not like they rewrote the rules of POKER or CHECKERS.  You'd think that by all the comments here that they trashed and rewrote the rules or added new cards to the original  POKEMAN set.  Get a grip.

• lokiboardlokiboard Member UncommonPosts: 229

One last life lesson...... FANTASY > REALITY......This rules is why the divorce rate is so high.

• CandombleCandomble Member UncommonPosts: 164

Originally posted by Adamai

what else is there to see.. you kids need to chill your baggy's.  the reason it wasnt so exciteing is because the hype has got you kids expecting great even fantastic amazeing awesome things from a game that just doesnt warrant such things..

Well son you seem to be the one needing to chill. Why?

First because you assume that people are disapointed; guess what? Most of the fanbase is very very far from there...

Second because you talk about WoW reskinning. I am sure that this game will have elements present in WoW and btw in the majority of the games from this genre; after all, it is a MMORPG, isn't it?  But will it only be a reskinning? No at all, but that we will see.

However, even if it is only a reskinning of WoW to better graphics and SW theme, sorry to disapoint you son, but that would also be good. WoW is getting older, it has its flaws and problems, but no one can say it is a bad game. One can say that doesn't like it, but saying it is bad is just crap...

I would also like to remind you that I do what I want with my money. If I want to buy crap stuff I do it and thats my business. Plus I don't think that ANYONE won't buy this game just because you had a vision 2 years ago and you think the game is going to be a fail. Sorry to disapoint you but as me you are just another John Doe.

So friend just go jogging or punch a bag or something to release all that tension bro. You seem too stressed out and needing for a chill.