Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Gamescom - A Massive Disappointment

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

Originally posted by AKASlaphappy

Originally posted by tillamook

Only time I see this is when someone comes in to troll. For the most part a lot of people were looking forward to playing both GW2 and SWTOR (yes you can enjoy more than one MMO), but now the folks who are die hard GW2 trolls are driving a lot of us who were looking forward to GW2 away.

The funny part is I can say the same thing about the TOR fanatics that post in the GW2 forums! I will never understand why people post in game forums they are not interested in, if you are not going to play TOR then do not post in there forums and disrupt conversations. If you are not going to play TSW then do not go into their forums. What is the point of going there when you are not even going to play the game!

I plan on playing SWTOR, and I plan on checking out GW2, even with all the hostility. I'm not bothered by it really, I've been a part of this site and many games long enough to have a thicker skin, but I see some of the fighting and just think it's sad and pointless. I think it's ok to have discussions, and debate, it should just be constructive on both sides of the fence.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• AKASlaphappyAKASlaphappy Member UncommonPosts: 800

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

Which brings up the question, do you have an interest in playing SWTOR? I do see you regularly visit and post on TOR threads, just wondering image

Or to repeat your last comment, 'what is the point of going here when you are not even going to play the game?'

Well I looked back at the last 6 months of my posts 59 of them were made in the TOR forums. Out of those 59 posts 90% of them were made while I was looking into the game to see if I wanted to play it or not, plus to make posts to stop misinformation about GW2 that was happening in threads. Now that I know I am not going to play TOR I hardly ever look at TOR threads unless it is something about the Lore or Bioware. And the reason why I look at those is because I like a lot of Bioware games and I am a huge Star Wars Nerd so it is interesting to me to see other people’s view on the lore.

If you want to go through my posts I never discuss the features of TOR because I know I am not going to play the game. There is no point in me talking about what designs Bioware has done or not done for TOR because I have no interest in playing it anymore. This is what needs to stop; you can talk about the developers and lore, but if you are not going to play the game just shut up about the features.  It does no one any good to whine over and over again about how you do not like said feature, and it does absolutely no one any good to have people spreading misinformation about the game. Because in all reality if you are not going to play it you are not up to speed on all the details about the game. I can freely admit that about TOR, when I made the decision to not buy TOR about two months ago I stopped looking into how the features work or any new design choices they make. So for me to say anything about it would be stupid.

But anyone that is a fan of the lore can talk about it, because it is not a mechanic of the game, and will not rub people the wrong way about said game!

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

Originally posted by Scambug

Only time I see this is when someone comes in to troll. For the most part a lot of people were looking forward to playing both GW2 and SWTOR (yes you can enjoy more than one MMO), but now the folks who are die hard GW2 trolls are driving a lot of us who were looking forward to GW2 away.

The funny part is I can say the same thing about the TOR fanatics that post in the GW2 forums! I will never understand why people post in game forums they are not interested in, if you are not going to play TOR then do not post in there forums and disrupt conversations. If you are not going to play TSW then do not go into their forums. What is the point of going there when you are not even going to play the game!

Which brings up the question, do you have an interest in playing SWTOR? I do see you regularly visit and post on TOR threads, just wondering image

Or to repeat your last comment, 'what is the point of going here when you are not even going to play the game?'

You weren't speaking to me but you might aswell have been, so I'll answer ( I also need to get this off my chest).

I'm a Star Wars fan, I grew up on the original trilogy and they are by far the movies I've watched the most times in my life.

I've been following TOR since the day it was announced, I registered on the TOR forums the day after the announcement.

During all this waiting, I was playing WoW and really enjoying it. Then came WotLK and that totally destroyed it for me. From that point on I started hating WoW and Blizzard (very much like I despise SOE for destroying SWG).

After that came Rift and to my biggest disappointment, it played almost exactly like WoW. I quit after 2 weeks.

Now here I am, been waiting for TOR for almost 3 years and the game is turning out to be yet another WoW...copy (wether you agree or not doesn't matter here).

So I'm really pissed. Yeah extremely pissed that I won't be able to enjoy this game I've been so eagerly awaiting.

Yes, it's a case of "they didn't do the game I wanted them to" - I admit it.

So now I spend most of my time on these forums bashing TOR and I'll continue to do so until Bioware has the BALLS to add something new and worthwhile to the game - voice overs and quest giving pets aren't enough to make me forget that most everything else is directly ripped from a game I now loathe.

Can I just say this?  It never claimed to be anything else but standard MMO fare (if you think the comparison should be made to WoW because it's what you know, more power to you) with an injection of story and choices. The more rabid fans on the other hand have.....If you liked KOTOR, Star Wars, and MMOs, you might like SWTOR. If you are looking for a Sandbox, well you won't find that in SWTOR because that was never the game they planned on making. That's not to say they can't add these features later based on player feedback, but they have already said, it's not going to be at launch. The important thing was to build a high quality game with core MMO mechanics that majority of gamers would be familiar with, looks like they got what they set out to do.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I've been following TOR since the day it was announced, I registered on the TOR forums the day after the announcement.

If that really is the case, then you wouldve known YEARS ago that Bioware was emulating World of Warcraft on a lot of game mechanics. It was one of the first things they said about designing The Old Republic.

• deadlydarkdeadlydark Member Posts: 5

I plan on playing SWTOR, and I plan on checking out GW2, even with all the hostility. I'm not bothered by it really, I've been a part of this site and many games long enough to have a thicker skin, but I see some of the fighting and just think it's sad and pointless. I think it's ok to have discussions, and debate, it should just be constructive on both sides of the fence.

The reason most people do this is, is because they are on some level insecure with thier choice to play one game over another. So they get defensive, and villify the other games coming out or that are out (wow for example) so as to attract more people to the game. It makes them feel more secure in thier desicion ultimatley, but honestly doesn't help that games community much.

I plan on playing both star wars and gw2, and whichever I happen to like more AFTER TRYING THEM, is the one I'll likely stick with. But that all being said, the lore and style of star wars is enough that the buy will be worth it just for the story.

• erikk3189erikk3189 Member Posts: 306

You have people here saying the game will not be any good and blah, blah, blah. Saying this and that and how bad the game is, all negative things about a game they have not played.

Why? Because of things BioWare has not made public? You serious?

You're really not impressing anyone saying things you know nothing about since you've not tried the game yourselves. 

I want to play this game but I have not pre-ordered it as it won't go live any time soon. 

• Grotar89Grotar89 Member UncommonPosts: 347

:)

• erikk3189erikk3189 Member Posts: 306

Originally posted by Foomerang

If that really is the case, then you wouldve known YEARS ago that Bioware was emulating World of Warcraft on a lot of game mechanics. It was one of the first things they said about designing The Old Republic.

Emulating WoW? You can't be serious. Who wants to emulate a game that's been played out. A watered down game that has people leaving by the bunch.

If anything, WoW will emplement some of the new innovations found in SWTOR. So will many other MMO's. 

You'll see.

• dagon3dagon3 Member Posts: 117

Im just going to sit back here and laugh at all of you who still have not learned !

Dont get mad or upset at the companies you pre order from for not releasing a game when you want it released or for releasing one to early that sucks .

Learn from your mistakes wait for the damn thing to be released first try it then buy it .

If not then deal with it!

Pretty simple ,  really people just dont take time to actually think nowdays.

Your the one who opened your wallet and got your hopes up now sit back and wait because your going to anyway if you pre ordered or not , the only difference is i still have my money and you do not...

Funny Chit....

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

Imo there is no point in trying to closely follow SWTOR. Might as well turn you ears off to it until they say a release date. There are better things to think about for the next 3 months.

Originally posted by Foomerang

Yes this is true but two things:
    - We were indeed years before release and I was naively hoping they would change their minds about the general direction of the game.
    - I was also clinging onto the hope that there would be massive open world PvP. The battleground PvP system was announced much later.
    Then eventually , I got to beta test it for a while and that was the final nail in the coffin for me.
    Oh and also, back in 2008, I didn't hate WoW as much as I do now... ;)

Ok so the first point is just you in denial
    The second point, well they actually do have massive open world pvp which will be revealed in the next few days at pax
    And the third point i dont really understand. Youve played the game and dont like it. So why did you make it sound like you were being mislead in your original post? Thats like taking a test drive then complaining you were mislead about how the car handles. Unless you were in denial about your own, first hand, experience? heh
  • TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

I think part of the problem is there are just too many damn conventions these days.

But enough about that, I think the big question on everybodies mind Mr. Bitton, is:

Are You Ready For Some Huttball?

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,080

Personally I am excited for Hutt Ball. There are plenty of things in SWTOR that haven't been talked about and probably won't be talked about until it's launched. One big mistake these developers make is revealing everything about their games, and leaving nothing to discovery and eliminating any element of surprise or excitement over finding something new in the game. They're really being pretty smart about it. I think they may have revealed the game itself too early and could have kept it a secret longer than they did but that's come and gone. Maybe by the time it's released peoples insane and unreasonable expectations will have been pegged down a few notches.

Originally posted by Valentina
    Personally I am excited for Hutt Ball. There are plenty of things in SWTOR that haven't been talked about and probably won't be talked about until it's launched. One big mistake these developers make is revealing everything about their games, and leaving nothing to discovery and eliminating any element of surprise or excitement over finding something new in the game. They're really being pretty smart about it. I think they may have revealed the game itself too early and could have kept it a secret longer than they did but that's come and gone. Maybe by the time it's released peoples insane and unreasonable expectations will have been pegged down a few notches.

I agree. The sooner this game comes out the better, for both the fans and the haters heh.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Originally posted by Fratman

{mod edit}

I think the majority of people who had the fortune of playing the game disagree with you, they had quite a lot of fun. However, everyone who has gotten burnt out on certain MMO gameplay aspects because of having played thousands and thousands of hours of MMO gaming in years before, I expect that their jadedness or MMO burn out won't just magically disappear when playing SWTOR: if people have become bored with current MMO's and can't really enjoy MMO gaming anymore as they used to, then this will still feel the same with SWTOR for them.

If someone is burned out by mmorpgs I dont think adding an active dodge to combat is going to make a difference, or events that roll back and forth depending on player interaction, sure they are great and awesome and next gen but a game changer? People should just realize to take a break, change genre a bit or wait for something like Firefall.

Another thing that in my opinion maybe affects most to this "burned out" state, is the setting, and that's why TSW will be good even if it's not so good quality, because it's dropping players to somewhere they have never been in mmorpgs, it will propably be the "biggest thing" in TSW. It helps TOR a bit too with a sci-fi setting, at least with me, I'm a bit burned out by the endless mages, elves, knights and so on, for a change I want to play a mmorpg where I can travel in space between planets and get shot by lazer rifles instead the spell X or the orcish axe I've been spammed at the last 10 years.

Yes, setting, sounds, visuals and all that is something I want to experience a bit different for a change to make it feel like I'm somewhere else than another sword n' board fantasy world, preferrably somewhere I have basic knowledge allready so I dont have to learn the lore from scratch, so yes, to me Bioware has a big advantage because of the setting and IP, no matter if it does not have revolutionary combat by active dodge or hotkey-bars that change your characters weapon in hand when you scroll them.

• cegbaccacegbacca Member Posts: 6

As a fellow Star Wars geek I am excited about SWTOR. If it's a great game out of the gate, super. Most MMOs are not. I believe the Devs are dedicated to the game so they will adjust or add as needed. If it sucks outt of the gate, which I doubt, I'll play it for a couple months and go back to SWGEMU. I played Rift for 2 months and it was fairly enjoyable untill the end game bottomed out for me.

I think between SWTOR and SWGEMU I'll be able to enjoy my gaming time like I haven't for years (only Aion has even held my attention).

my2cents

• JudasaceJudasace Member Posts: 53

Surprise surprise, another MMORPG.com article slamming TOR. You'd almost think that MMORPG.com was home to a lot of Sandbox fanboys who are bitter that TOR isn't SWG2.

Get over it. Your personal bitterness isn't going to stop people from buying the game, as much as you wish it would.

• Kahuna80Kahuna80 Member UncommonPosts: 10

Personally I hope they're saving it for PAX and I actually prefer it that way.  Nothing against GamesCom but it's in Germany so most of the interviews and all are from English speaking Germans.  I was literally just watching a pretty good interview before coming here but between the background noise of GamesCom and the interviewers German accent I was struggling to follow it.  

Far as the flow of information, they often baffle me with some of the choices they make and what they show.  As you said, we're supposedly very close to launch, add to that they're supposedly doing a very expansive beta starting some time in September so the game will be open to lots of people anyway so I'm not sure why they're treating major feature info. like the games a year off.  Hell I don't even think they've given us an official list of all the races that will be playable at launch, that should certainly be nailed down at this point.  Character creation hasn't been shown at all, not even screen shots or a written description of it.

They still have me worried that we're going to see another release date pushback the way they're acting.  During the GamesCom press conference, the guy, Muzyka or whatever his name is said they'd be starting a few months of beta weekends in september.  Not sure if that was just a errant slip of the tongue or if beta weekends will actually last more than just September, if so, that makes a 2011 release a lot less likely.

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

Hmm, I don't know, I can see where you're coming from Mike - but there is another way to look at it. BioWare have said time and again that they won't talk abnout stuff til it's 100% concrete in the game. With beta ongoing (even if it's closed) the fact that they're talking less about things like the space game possibly (hopefully?) means that it's somehow being altered based on tester feedback, and not just that they're being close-mouthed.

The only thing I've seen them going back on was the recent teaser about companion kits and companion AI, and it would seem they have something up their sleeve there that could improve on what went before. Could be that the same thing is going on with the space game, or world PvP or any number of things. I know I'd rather have info that is not subject to change over info that's exciting one minute and outdated/obsolete the next.

And I love the idea of Huttball, seems like a great way to blow off some steam. It's a quirky take on capture the flag and just the kind of  entertainment you can see a hutt going for (Sarlaccs are just too static, really!). The trailer really cracked me up.

I'm pretty open-minded when it comes to MMOs and I think SW:TOR, GW2 and TSW all have aspects to them that could change how we perceive MMOs for the better, and even more than that they could provide entertainment for a wide swathe of players who are feeling like they've been there and done that a hundred times over already. I couldn't care less who is "king of the hill" as long as I'm having fun.

• SpandexDroidSpandexDroid Member Posts: 277

yeah, CGIs isn't gameplay..

• alias333alias333 Member UncommonPosts: 24

i was everyday waching mmorpg.com about new thing ins swotr and i thought you guys were doing new topics with large information,but after this topic i clearly understand that bioware didnot gave anything new except that idiot hutball match or whatever is it, i bet 90% will not play that death match,its even worth than AION DRedgion loooooooooooool.

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

As someone who is super excited for SWTOR, I pre-ordered a collector's edition and everything, I'm disappointed with what came out of Gamescon. I was hoping for something more interesting and revealing. I was hoping for a reveal of the Legacy System or maybe even a release date.

You can tell how successful SWTOR is at a convention because this site's hype-meter will fluctuate a few points up or down. This time, it is down. Maybe it'll go back up after PAX.

Come on Bioware! Give me something good for PAX!

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    About the lack of stuff shown at these conventions doesn't mean they won't be in game. Maybe bioware doesn't want to show EVERYTHING and keep alot of these other features a surprise for when the game launches. I have preordered 2 collectors versions as well and this does not bother me one bit, we have to stop making a big deal out of this.
  • KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921

Gamscom was Biowares Biggest showing since the reveal of the Deceived trailer to be honest, but you have to look deeper than the 15 min set and into the after set stuff, like where they show a full raid that actually downs the first big robot boss, a huttball match a few full Alderaan matches and a lot of origin world gameplay.

To call Gamescom a dissappointment seems to me to be the usual Agenda lead journalistic approach in that you know your audience (IE the majority of this site) want to hate the mainstream so lets pick it apart a bit and get lots tasty page views.

Fact is Gamescom was biowares biggest showing of NEW ToR information for a LONG LONG time.

• Pace2002Pace2002 Member Posts: 16

blah blah blah...the buzz around this game is ridiculous and I find it hilarious that it has cause a divide amongst the MMO community. Look its one thing to blindly praise or trash talk a game, its another thing to have constructive criticism/concerns or general questions. But what it all comes down to, is when you play it, does it succeed in entertaining your play-style, so until that happens lets not praise this game as the next coming of Jesus, or say that it is a bastard step child of WoW.

Personally I feel (based on what I've seen and researched) this game will not appeal to my playstyle, but I will level a character from 1-50 just to experience what I think is the only appealing quality of this game, and thats the personal class story in the Old Republic universe....