Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Gamescom - A Massive Disappointment

Comments

• P2PGamerP2PGamer Member Posts: 121

Actually, MB, I think you are spot on with missed opportunity here.

Saying that, I never said you were anti TOR or pro GW2!  However, the staff is greatly biased toward the sandbox vs themepark games.  Don't deny it as the proof is in the pudding already!  LOL

Power to the Sheeple

• FratmanFratman Member Posts: 344

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

Originally posted by Fratman

ToR is so unoriginal and boring. I think of it as a game designed by an autistic person. It looks ok and does everything by the numbers, but it's completely dull and out of touch with what makes mmos fun.

I think the majority of people who had the fortune of playing the game disagree with you, they had quite a lot of fun. However, everyone who has gotten burnt out on certain MMO gameplay aspects because of having played thousands and thousands of hours of MMO gaming in years before, I expect that their jadedness or MMO burn out won't just magically disappear when playing SWTOR: if people have become bored with current MMO's and can't really enjoy MMO gaming anymore as they used to, then this will still feel the same with SWTOR for them.

Hmm, so any criticism of ToR being boring is only because the person is burned out on mmos in general? Yeah, that doesn't sound like a good explanation to me. Especially considering I'm following mmos in development and can't wait to play something new. I'm the opposite of burned out, I'm dying to play a fun mmo.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the people that think ToR sucks actually think it sucks because... it sucks.

• BadSpock2BadSpock2 Member Posts: 96

Hmm, so any criticism of ToR being boring is only because the person is burned out on mmos in general? Yeah, that doesn't sound like a good explanation to me. Especially considering I'm following mmos in development and can't wait to play something new. I'm the opposite of burned out, I'm dying to play a fun mmo.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the people that think ToR sucks actually think it sucks because... it sucks.

TO THEM

Just add a TO THEM or TO YOU or TO ME to everything people ever say on this site and we can all be happy.

There are TONS of positive reviews about TOR saying that it is/was quite a lot of fun and fresh etc. etc.

There are some bad ones too.

THAT IS TO BE EXPECTED.

People who think it sucks... will think it sucks because... to them, it sucks.

People who think it is great, will think it is great because, to them, it's great.

How is this concept so hard for people to understand?

• ormstungaormstunga Member Posts: 736

SWtor is such a huge game talked about everywhere that it brings in all kinds of ppl some of who wouldnt be interested normally and as expected they dismiss the game, after all they had no real interest to begin with.

• P2PGamerP2PGamer Member Posts: 121

Originally posted by BadSpock

TO THEM

Just add a TO THEM or TO YOU or TO ME to everything people ever say on this site and we can all be happy.

There are TONS of positive reviews about TOR saying that it is/was quite a lot of fun and fresh etc. etc.

THAT IS TO BE EXPECTED.

People who think it is great, will think it is great because, to them, it's great.

I hear the number ONE complaint with SW:TOR is that it is just another WoW clone!  To that, I'm very happy!  Why am I happy?  Because WoW is one of the greatest MMORPGs ever made.  Sure, it can get stale but all games do.  Saying that, it wouldn't have ever peaked at over 13 million concurrent paid subscribes if it wasn't an awesome game.  I ran WoW pre and post CATA.  I love the game.  However, I'm ready for some different scenery.  Can't wait for TOR.

Power to the Sheeple

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by Mynsc

I don't think the game is anywhere close to being ready for launch this year. All the signs are there... no launch date, no beta, no big reveals. And yet they opened pre-orders... it's more than weird.  If they wouldn't be under EA's wing I'd almost be tempted to say they ran out of money.

EA? Ran out of money? Bioware? Ran out of money?

LAWLLAWLWALWALLWLALLWALWLLALWLALWLALWLALWLWALLWALWALWLALAWL

I'm not saying that this is happening now, but developers under EA *do* overrun their budgets and EA has been traditionally pretty draconian when dealing with them.  But this is an exceptionally high profile release and a lot is riding on it -- not the least of which is the Origin service, which EA undoubtedly plan on hitching to SWTOR's coattails to launch it into orbit.

More likely than a financial crunch though, is a looming deadline (known only internally) that might be threatened because they just aren't ready yet.  It's the most ambitious project Bioware has ever been involved with and they just might be hitting some crunch time difficulties, especially working in the unfamiliar MMO genre.

Personally, I just think it's a case that they aren't very good at pre-release presentation and there's nothing actually wrong at all.  Normally I would never dare to compare SWTOR with GW2, but ArenaNet and NC Soft really seem to understand what it takes keep people happy while they wait.  BW/EA just don't seem to have the same knack for it. 

That's just my biased observation since I'm far more plugged into the goings on of GW2 than SWTOR, but I've never really felt the BW team were able to connect with their fans as effectively as ANet -- and it has nothing to do with game quality.  That final bit should go without saying, but I know it often can't.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

TO THEM

THAT IS TO BE EXPECTED.

Yeah, I find myself astounded and puzzled from time to time about this as well.

I can only assume that some people have no interest or a lack in skill to see past their own viewpoint and taste or how other people can see things differently without them being 'wrong'. Or maybe it's an indifference towards other people's opinions and other viewpoints besides their own that is the reason that they never developed the ability to look past their own opinion and viewpoint and grasp other ways of looking at things, since they only care for their own opinion and nothing outside of it.

Anyway,

+1

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

I think the majority of people who had the fortune of playing the game disagree with you, they had quite a lot of fun. However, everyone who has gotten burnt out on certain MMO gameplay aspects because of having played thousands and thousands of hours of MMO gaming in years before, I expect that their jadedness or MMO burn out won't just magically disappear when playing SWTOR: if people have become bored with current MMO's and can't really enjoy MMO gaming anymore as they used to, then this will still feel the same with SWTOR for them.

Read Badspock's comments plus what I stated: I said 'bored with current MMO's' and 'burnt out on certain MMO gameplay aspects'. That should provide enlightenment and food for thought enough.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• ChilliesauceChilliesauce Member Posts: 559

Originally posted by Grotar89

Originally posted by Puremallace

Make WoW clone with VO

Hype it with cinematics that have no connection with gameplay

Repeat SW and BW always

Give players small info so they cant realise it is WoW Clone

Sell 2 milion copies, achieve financial succes and go WAR path.

Dont say you havent been warned !!!

Remake an entire game that milions quit

Repeat dynamic over and over with little to no real details

Use hype words and personel story whenever possible and never give any details

Say buy to play in every other sentence

AMIDOINGITRIGHT?

Oh GW2 is no clone. It has more info than TOR which should launch soon, and yes it is B2P and it will beat TOR hard.

Also GW2 hype is more than justified? I dont think TORs hype is....

Also will quote your post and laugh when TOR fails be prepared dont say you havent been warned.

I am really excited about GW2 but when i read comments like this, it is the community which worries me. The thought of being surrounded by such obnoxious players really bothers me. Reminds me so much of WOW community full of self centered and over confident players who just can't accept that anything else can be better than their beloved game.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by Chilliesauce

Make WoW clone with VO

Repeat SW and BW always

AMIDOINGITRIGHT?

Oh GW2 is no clone. It has more info than TOR which should launch soon, and yes it is B2P and it will beat TOR hard.

Also will quote your post and laugh when TOR fails be prepared dont say you havent been warned.

I am really excited about GW2 but when i read comments like this, it is the community which worries me. The thought of being surrounded by such obnoxious players really bothers me (You do realize that SW:TOR has also got these people in abundance?). Reminds me so much of WOW community full of self centered and over confident players who just can't accept that anything else can be better than their beloved game.

I believe Grotar does the same on the official SW:TOR forums, although I haven't seen him on GW2Guru.

• ChimpsChimps Member Posts: 192

They were certain that it was coming 2011 right? Didn't they even confirm it?

So as long as it's 2011 and not March 2012 or later then i'm happy.

Would be epic if it came out on my birthday 11th december. Of course i'm hoping it comes out sooner than that.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Make WoW clone with VO

Repeat SW and BW always

AMIDOINGITRIGHT?

I am really excited about GW2 but when i read comments like this, it is the community which worries me. The thought of being surrounded by such obnoxious players really bothers me. Reminds me so much of WOW community full of self centered and over confident players who just can't accept that anything else can be better than their beloved game.

There are obnoxious people in every community.  But I admit, I hate it when someone pees in the same pool we're both swimming in.  Their behaviour makes me look bad just because I'm nearby.

Originally posted by Alot

I am really excited about GW2 but when i read comments like this, it is the community which worries me. The thought of being surrounded by such obnoxious players really bothers me (You do realize that SW:TOR has also got these people in abundance?). Reminds me so much of WOW community full of self centered and over confident players who just can't accept that anything else can be better than their beloved game.

I believe Grotar does the same on the official SW:TOR forums, although I haven't seen him on GW2Guru.

Never said SWTOR don't have people like him but i am running into too many people like Grotar on almost every forum of mmorpg.com. Whether it is Rift, Tera, Swtor or any other MMO which is most talked about. Just yesterday mod has to delete numerous posts in a perfectly good topic about Rift which turned into Rift vs GW2 flame fest. 

Originally posted by Scambug

I believe they're holding back on game reveals because they're noticing an increasing concern about the game being no more than a WoW rip. Revealing more of the current content would only make things worse.

If I were in their shoes , I'd start working double time on world PvP content and stop the information flow until they have a top notch system in place...Even if that means delaying release even further.

A solid ( dare I say original ) world PvP system would give this game a little more personality and would tone down the WOW clone accusations.

"People" and yes that is in quotes will call anything a "WoW-clone" these days.

The term has no meaning and no credibility.

If any company is seriously worried about their product because of the "WoW-clone" label, they shouldn't even be in the business.

If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

• Master_M2KMaster_M2K Member Posts: 244

Originally posted by P2PGamer

Actually, MB, I think you are spot on with missed opportunity here.

Saying that, I never said you were anti TOR or pro GW2!  However, the staff is greatly biased toward the sandbox vs themepark games.  Don't deny it as the proof is in the pudding already!  LOL

Not really because because TRo & GW2 are themepark MMOs. It's just that most people who visi this site are tired of the generic WoW-Themepark rides they been going on and want to try out a new ride in a new Themepark and that attraction happens to be GW2 right now.

• nmalthusnmalthus Member CommonPosts: 98

GW2 won't even come close to TOR.  Just because there's a convention doesn't mean more info needs to be released.

• Master_M2KMaster_M2K Member Posts: 244

Originally posted by Alot

Never said SWTOR don't have people like him but i am running into too many people like Grotar on almost every forum of mmorpg.com. Whether it is Rift, Tera, Swtor or any other MMO which is most talked about. Just yesterday mod has to delete numerous posts in a perfectly good topic about Rift which turned into Rift vs GW2 flame fest.

Well I wouldn't worry too much about it because a lot of those people are just frustrated that we cannot play our game, so they take out their frustration on other games, in the forums. But trust me, once SW:TOR & GW2 comes out we won't have to deal with this crap, sine we'll all be enjoying our time playing our games.

Also MMOs tend to come with the "Ignore" chat function for a reason.

I believe they're holding back on game reveals because they're noticing an increasing concern about the game being no more than a WoW rip. Revealing more of the current content would only make things worse.

If I were in their shoes , I'd start working double time on world PvP content and stop the information flow until they have a top notch system in place...Even if that means delaying release even further.

A solid ( dare I say original ) world PvP system would give this game a little more personality and would tone down the WOW clone accusations.

"People" and yes that is in quotes will call anything a "WoW-clone" these days.

The term has no meaning and no credibility.

The term has a perfectly clear meaning: it's what you call a game that rips 90% of its gameplay from WoW.

And it's perfectly credible when applied to games such as Rift and TOR.

Wether you're in denial or just don't like your favourite game being criticized is another matter.

90%?

77% of all statistics are made up.

I still stand by the fact that the term has no meaning.

If it had any meaning, then every single FPS game would be called a "DOOM clone" or whatever and people don't do that.

It's just a MMORPG thing, and it's useless and needs to die a horrible death.

• FratmanFratman Member Posts: 344

I hear the number ONE complaint with SW:TOR is that it is just another WoW clone!  To that, I'm very happy!  Why am I happy?  Because WoW is one of the greatest MMORPGs ever made.  Sure, it can get stale but all games do.  Saying that, it wouldn't have ever peaked at over 13 million concurrent paid subscribes if it wasn't an awesome game.  I ran WoW pre and post CATA.  I love the game.  However, I'm ready for some different scenery.  Can't wait for TOR.

You're happy that ToR is a WoW clone even though you're bored with WoW at the moment?

You'll have about 2 good months with ToR before you realize all you're doing is raiding for purples at endgame, just like you do in WoW.  Yeah, the epic gear is purple in ToR as well. {mod edit}

• AnsilAnsil Member Posts: 13

Huttball was the least excieting presentation I have seen concerning SWToR.

Warzones get boreing after playing them 20+ times much less some dumb capture the flag mini-warzone. I can see the average player , playing huttball twice and never playing it again.

So it was pretty dissapointing that that was the "feature" at gamescom. Hopefully PAX will be better!

• AnsilAnsil Member Posts: 13

that that .. double type

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Make WoW clone with VO

Repeat SW and BW always

AMIDOINGITRIGHT?

I'm also irritated by the "holier than thou" attitude of GW2's community. SWTOR's community has its own issues as well though, at least if you go by the cesspool that is the official forums.

As for the article, I was a bit disappointed in what BioWare presented at Gamescom as well. Hopefully PAX will bring out some better stuff from them.

• BunnykingBunnyking Member UncommonPosts: 126

Ok first things first; Yes, I was also disappointed by the lack of any substantial info on SWTOR at GamesCon... HOWEVER... It's not necessary AT ALL to keep talking about GW2 in a SWTOR article. That game is its own game. One has nothing to do with the other.

THAT makes me say that yes you are biased towards SWTOR, even though you have 2 pre-orders. Spreading word of your disappointment, that's your right. But in that same article praising GW2, a game I by the way start to loathe more and more each day, is just bull5=!7.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by Bunnyking

Ok first things first; Yes, I was also disappointed by the lack of any substantial info on SWTOR at GamesCon... HOWEVER... It's not necessary AT ALL to keep talking about GW2 in a SWTOR article. That game is its own game. One has nothing to do with the other.

THAT makes me say that yes you are biased towards SWTOR, even though you have 2 pre-orders. Spreading word of your disappointment, that's your right. But in that same article praising GW2, a game I by the way start to loathe more and more each day, is just bull5=!7.

The Guild Wars 2 community has got Grotar86. The SW:TOR Community has got you. Seems pretty equal to me.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Well I disappeared because I got a 1 day ban yesterday , shortly after getting owned in that thread - for a post in another thread.

Yeah I was wrong, it happens.

The fact that you guys are going ape sh1t on the 90% (when it's pretty obvious what I meant was "the great majority") just shows how desperate you are to discredit anyone who dares critize TOR.

Now that's the last time I answer one of your posts, you're seriously starting to get on my nerves there buddy.

Not to be the old guy in the thread, but couldn't you say the same about WoW when it was released. 90% of it was like EQ. Pretty sure we beat this horse to death. It is a called a genre. All these games in this genre look the same WoW/Rift/SWToR/EQ

The important part is what does Bioware do with the game after it is launched. Do they pull a WoW and stagnate or do they pull a Rift and start introducing other stuff...AA...more housing options..free server x-fers <--this is all stuff SWToR can do to distinquish the game

Yeah I was wrong, it happens.

The fact that you guys are going ape sh1t on the 90% (when it's pretty obvious what I meant was "the great majority") just shows how desperate you are to discredit anyone who dares critize TOR.

Now that's the last time I answer one of your posts, you're seriously starting to get on my nerves there buddy.

Criticise on facts and reliable opinion is what i call criticism no matter what game. Made up stats and lies are not appreciated by anyone. Try doing this on any game forum and people will respond in similar manner. This is not just about SWTOR but desperate attempts of spreading wrong information to make game look bad which you obviously haven't played.