Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ea origins- breaches our privacy

zackman10122zackman10122 Member UncommonPosts: 14

This is to help inform all gamers that if you install ea origins you are allowing them to check your downloads,your system, and your hardware! It is in the eula agreement when you install the program! the proof is right here http://i.imgur.com/SvUvs.png! This can not be allowed... they inform you that they can take this information and sell it, it is absolutly absurd. Help stop this breach of privacy by spreading the word amongst all gaming sites and boycott the program and ea games till they get rid of it!

Comments

• CatchmeifuCatchmeifu Member Posts: 45

Originally posted by zackman10122

This is to help inform all gamers that if you install ea origins you are allowing them to check your downloads,your system, and your hardware! It is in the eula agreement when you install the program! the proof is right here http://i.imgur.com/SvUvs.png! This can not be allowed... they inform you that they can take this information and sell it, it is absolutly absurd. Help stop this breach of privacy by spreading the word amongst all gaming sites and boycott the program and ea games till they get rid of it!

Oh so know they are telling you they are doing it, instead of just doing it and not saying they are.

And its not like they go thru your email, personal files or try to steal your criedit card numbers.

So yeah dont care and more power to them.

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

Read the full EULA more carefully please before posting threads intended to incite.  You'll also find in there that all information is collected annonymously.

• zackman10122zackman10122 Member UncommonPosts: 14

the only time it is anonymous is when they supply it to 3rd party services... maybe you should read more carefully.

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

the only time it is anonymous is when they supply it to 3rd party services... maybe you should read more carefully.

Actually I have, and since I can monitor exactly what information leaves my computer...oh why bother...you're just here to incite...go at it!

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

allowing them to check your downloads,your system, and your hardware!

OK, so they can see what we've bought/downloaded from their Origin store, big deal. {which for me will be nothing, cause I don't buy digitally if I can help it and surely not from EA, nor will I be installing Origin}  

And yay, they can see what kind of PC I have, really, is there something wrong with anyone knowing what kind of PC and components you have?

Anyway...

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Please correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Steam already do this? I know their hardware surveys are optional but those are fairly detailed but I'm not sure about selling your information to third parties, even though in reality it happes all the time.

• AKASlaphappyAKASlaphappy Member UncommonPosts: 800

Originally posted by Gabby-air

Please correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Steam already do this? I know their hardware surveys are optional but those are fairly detailed but I'm not sure about selling your information to third parties, even though in reality it happes all the time.

Yes steam does this and so do most of the sites on the net that people are part of like facebook.

• LisXiaLisXia Member Posts: 390

Originally posted by AKASlaphappy

Yes steam does this and so do most of the sites on the net that people are part of like facebook.

To avoid problems, use an old PC to log onto such "dangerous" sites, and only.  I use a 4-year old discarded laptop to do that.

EA can do what they can but their origin will never land on any of my PCs.  No way.

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

Why is people defending Origin? Have we become sheeps of the big companies? Not many years ago everybody would be very upset about this.

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

Originally posted by Metentso

Why is people defending Origin? Have we become sheeps of the big companies? Not many years ago everybody would be very upset about this.

It's not as much as defending Orgins as poinitng out that everyone's beloved Steam does exaclty same thing, and yet, suddenly EA is not allowed to do it. Speak about fanboism. 

About every launcher software does collect info about your PC hardware structure, many games that require connection to itnernet collect info about your playstyle on the fly, suddenly being worried about Origin knowing what stuff you have is just simple hypocrisy and childish hate towards one of the publishers. 

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by AKASlaphappy

Yep, I have no problem with this either.  Pretty much any site that allows you to buy things does this, including: Origin, Steam, MicroSoft, iTunes and about a million more.  Then there are programs that do the same thing that you don't mind having on you computer like Ant-Virus software and such.  Most people who upgrade there computers have this happen when they register there hardware too.  Heck even FaceBook does it.

So again I have no problem with it.  It does nothing more then give them an idea what their programs/hardware needs to be compatable with, and in some cases tells them why it isn't compatable.  Seems to me that can be a major benefit for those of us that aren't Conspiracy Theorists.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• ChilliesauceChilliesauce Member Posts: 559

Originally posted by psyclum

they are defending it because they are hired to defend it:D  don't be so naive and think marketers don't check sites like this:D

fact is, EA is trying to ruin SWTOR just like sony ruined EQ....

What nonsense!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

The greatest threat against our privacy is Facebook.

EA Origins is bad too, but nowhere close.

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

Some people  will defend everything doesn't matter if they have to give up their privacy rights. Just to be clear

All those plattforms are hurting your privacy especially things like Crapnet, Steam, Origin. Companies know that not many people will read their  rules of conduct, so they will push their spy crap more and more and hiring people just to defend their crap or hype it up. 

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

almost all game launchers save your system spec's its a means for the company to get a rough idea what kind of hardware their user base is using. case in point, steam uses it as a means to market more games towards you. you dont have to do it or allow it. only time its annoying is when its automatic. but even then... for companies like EA and Valve or SoE to do it, is more so to get a global idea of their user base..

im pretty sure they wil have some sort of disable function, as steam does in regaurds of denying the survey. 

guess you only download pirated games made by EA to be bothered by this?? cause that could be the only case where this would really be a major issue.. 

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by Chilliesauce

{mod edit}

What nonsense!

You don't believe in professional shills that post on sites like this as opinion formers?

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

Well thing is Steam is has it optional and EA Origins has it mandatory. It is fundamental diffrence.

I am not saying Steam is good becasue it is not and I am avoid using Steam as well , but it seems EA Origins is worse.

Besides if someone else does something bad it DON'T make better if someone else do same bad thing.

If someone hit innocent person in a face does it make it less bad if I hot somebody in face as well?

Really sometimes , opinions here are like kindergarten arguments.

I am really stunned that people are alright with it. Just don't agree to it god ,what an lack of imagination lately people have...

Btw thanks OP for post I will surely post it on blog /forums.

• XexvXexv Member Posts: 308

Originally posted by vesavius

Originally posted by Chilliesauce

{mod edit}

What nonsense!

You don't believe in professional shills that post on sites like this as opinion formers?

No, now please relax and go and download our software.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

How can EA breach a privacy that the user has accepted as?

If the house owner and I agree for me to rent a house, I'm not trespassing on that house during the duration of the rental agreement. The OP is not making logical sense to me.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Originally posted by Sulaa

Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

/facepalm

*facepalm at Bigdaddyx*

While there has been cases of 'shills' paid to sway the opinion of this forum's community, I'd doubt one is defending EA on this thread.

Mainly cause there is nothing to 'sway'.

The user accepted the agreement when the program was installed. Whether the user read the agreement or not is irrelevant.

If I don't read a contract and blindly sign it, that doesn't mean the contract is invalid.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

Originally posted by Loke666

The greatest threat against our privacy is Facebook.

EA Origins is bad too, but nowhere close.

I know, I have to laugh at mention of concerns about system privacy when most people blantently share their very personal information on social networking sites.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

Originally posted by jpnz

Originally posted by Sulaa

Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

/facepalm

*facepalm at Bigdaddyx*

While there has been cases of 'shills' paid to sway the opinion of this forum's community, I'd doubt one is defending EA on this thread.

Yeah I am not saying that there are shills in this topic. I agree propably there are not I was just commenting at Bigdaddyx who seem to discard that using a shill on internet forums is a practice that have been in use for a long time.

It is not consipracy theory - it is just normal if ethically bad service that you can order in most PR companies.

There were dozens of such cases that saw were uncovered. And it is used.

Anyone that was any basic 101 about PR know that it is just marketting strategy that is used on forums ,facebook ,etc

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Yet Facebook thrives.

• ErstokErstok Member Posts: 523

Majority of all gaming companies have the same policies. Complaining like EA Origins is the only one at fault is a flawed argument. Lot of companies collect information on your network streaming data as well as your computer information. This is done for multiple reasons and as someone has said, this is done anonymously. Ignorantly spewing shit at the first thing you see is a waste of energy. Read the fine print carefully and don't jump the gun like your doing now, makes you look like a moron.

When did you start playing "old school" MMO's. World Of Warcraft?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by BizkitNL

Yet Facebook thrives.

Yeah, and millions of people blog of their life.

Still, EA Origins suck because if I want to be private on the net I talk with you guys and stay away from FB (I actually do), but it is likely that I in the close future either I can play EA games on Origins or illegally cracked.

I think EA is peeing on their own foot.