Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm Actually Offended by Huttball

Comments

• Distopia2Distopia2 Member Posts: 574

Originally posted by Yamota

It is called immersion. These two factions are out to completely wipe out each other so seeing them playing a silly game against each other is what is absurd.

First what's absurd is taking the lore of an IP too seriously to the extent you start puting it before fun, as you're doing. Second, this wasn't an addition based on story, immersion or any of those things, it's sole purpose is having some fun and avoiding regular PVP, at times when the two sides are unbalanced. Most emphasis is on fun, of course.

If Immersion is the problem, you would never have to worry about that if you decide to skip the feature.

To SB fans, please stop making our demographic look bad.Stop invading threads that have nothing to do with sandboxes.

SW:TOR Graphics Evolution and Comparison

SW:TOR Compare MMO Quests, Combat and More...

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Originally posted by Atlan99

Originally posted by GrumpyMel2

Ok, this ones just bizarre. While I could totaly see a Hutt running something like this.... it really boggles the imagination to see the Jedi Order or the Republic Millitary (or even the Sith or Imperial Millitary) approving of thier members of partaking of something like this. I could see maybe Bounty Hunters or Smugglers.... maybe even the odd Imperial Agent under cover.....going for it...but Jedi, really?

I mean, I'm really not up on my Star Wars Lore...but this doesn't make sense to me.

Jedi Master: " Beware Anger, Hatred, Agression...young Padawan...for these are the path to the Dark Side. When you are Calm and at Peace..then you are at one with the Force. "

Padawan: "Yes, Master."

Jedi Master: "Great, now lets go play some Huttball and carve up the opposing team for the entertainment of the Hutts. We can cash in on some nice prizes if we win."

Yeah but rp lore nuts are the minority.

So fun trumps rp.

If this game would be based on Spaceballs then I would agree with you. However it is not and I imagine if this would be so "fun" then I would be in the movies as well.

There is a difference between the two.

The amount of time spent. People expect to spend more time playing the game then watching a movie.

Which means you have to come up with fun things to keep people occupied and enjoying your game.

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Ok, this ones just bizarre. While I could totaly see a Hutt running something like this.... it really boggles the imagination to see the Jedi Order or the Republic Millitary (or even the Sith or Imperial Millitary) approving of thier members of partaking of something like this. I could see maybe Bounty Hunters or Smugglers.... maybe even the odd Imperial Agent under cover.....going for it...but Jedi, really?

I mean, I'm really not up on my Star Wars Lore...but this doesn't make sense to me.

Jedi Master: " Beware Anger, Hatred, Agression...young Padawan...for these are the path to the Dark Side. When you are Calm and at Peace..then you are at one with the Force. "

Jedi Master: "Great, now lets go play some Huttball and carve up the opposing team for the entertainment of the Hutts. We can cash in on some nice prizes if we win."

I think i answered this before, but i'll do it again, not every jedi or sith follow the code so strictly as to follow the code to the letter. In fact considering there can be dark jedi in this game there is most certainly a chance a few jedi will just say forget (self censor on that one) the consoul i'm going to do my own thing, bring on the violence, anything to harm the other side (empire).

Plus we don't know story wise if the jedi even condone this action they may discourage you from doing it, but the game allows you to do it anyway.

On a mechanic end theres several ways you could do this lore wise but you run into a problem anytime you try to do this.

You can either restrict it to classes restricting the jedi but then the people who roll jedi will feel cheated and wil say oh so i can basically turn against the jedi, turn to the dark side of the force, and get grey skin and other things related to the dark side but because of my class i can't play this game..that makes no sense mechanic wise, not ot mention the sith the other force weilders can play.

If you restrict it to just non force weilders then you get the problem of uneven class balance, people will tend to play non force weilders because they'd prefer to get the full game rather then a limited version.

If you restrict it to a certain dark side rating then you get the very problem they are trying to avoid with the allignment which is the fact of people just selecting light or dark side choices instead of what they wanted to just get a certain alignment rating. So this option is no good.

So either you restrict players or force them to play a certain way in order to get access to this game.

Now you could say they shouldn't have included the game at all. In which case i'd ask a suggestion of what they could put in instead of this. Something that isn't capture the flag, hold this point or kill a certain number of enemies because we've seen that in nearly every MMO, plus that would just be a duplicate of what is already in game

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

So fun trumps rp.

If this game would be based on Spaceballs then I would agree with you. However it is not and I imagine if this would be so "fun" then I would be in the movies as well.

Saying that Jedi would not involve themselves in a game that tested their personal skill is like saying a Jedi doesn't gamble, which we already know happens.  Huttball is no more lore breaking than the Chiss Race in this game breaks the Lore because they were not in the movies.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by GMan3

So fun trumps rp.

Saying that Jedi would not involve themselves in a game that tested their personal skill is like saying a Jedi doesn't gamble, which we already know happens.  Huttball is no more lore breaking than the Chiss Race in this game breaks the Lore because they were not in the movies.

Well do Jedi gamble against other allies and even other Jedi's TO THE DEATH? I think that part may be what's sticking in some people's craw.

As to the Huttball vs Chiss argument, I'd actually pick Huttball over Chiss, as except for the character Admiral Thrawn, there is absoloutely nothing remarkable about them. There are far more interesting, and less lore twisting, races Bioware could have picked. Hell I'd take even the Dressellians (Prune Face's race) over the Chiss, any day.

Let's not split hairs here, Huttball is simply a combination of a Wowesque arena and a game of "capture the flag" with a vajazzle and some terrain hazards, lorded over by a psychotic Hutt, who I bet will be a bit like Tabitha the Supermutant from Fallout New Vegas. It will most likely be fun, and it isn't the end of the world to those of us who think it stretches the lore a bit far, but I can understand why some of us who have been Star Wars fans longer than MMOs have existed would pick lore over entertainment value.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Originally posted by Tardcore

So fun trumps rp.

Well do Jedi gamble against other allies and even other Jedi's TO THE DEATH? I think that part may be what's sticking in some people's craw.

As to the Huttball vs Chiss argument, I'd actually pick Huttball over Chiss, as except for the character Admiral Thrawn, there is absoloutely nothing remarkable about them. There are far more interesting, and less lore twisting, races Bioware could have picked. Hell I'd take even the Dressellians (Prune Face's race) over the Chiss, any day.

Let's not split hairs here, Huttball is simply a combination of a Wowesque arena and a game of "capture the flag" with a vajazzle and some terrain hazards, lorded over by a psychotic Hutt, who I bet will be a bit like Tabitha the Supermutant from Fallout New Vegas. It will most likely be fun, and it isn't the end of the world to those of us who think it stretches the lore a bit far, but I can understand why some of us who have been Star Wars fans longer than MMOs have existed would pick lore over entertainment value.

May be fine for you, but i'd never pick lore over entertainment value, it's why i play games, sure if the lore fits as well thats great, but never lore over entertainment value, least not for me.

I love stories yes, i love lore, don't get me wrong it's why i play Bioware games, for their story. but i can't play a boring game that gets all it's lore right, but i can easily play a lore breaking game thats fun as heck.

Not saying you won't play it or that your way of thinking is wrong, just for me if i have a boring game with all it's lore right and a fun game with the lore completely broken then i'll pick the fun game anytime. Not that i think the game is particularly lore breaking but i think i've stated enough times my reasoning in why i think Jedi and sith will play huttball.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

It seems kind of odd to me that people aren't bothered by such a feature in a game who's main selling point is the story. I'm no lore nut, but I think equating putting two arch enemies on the same team to putting lore before fun is a bit of a stretch. It's one thing to avoid a feature because it doesn't follow some minor detail, but an entirely other issue when the game breaks it's own major plot point for a cheap thrill.

I'm all for minigames, but it should raise a pretty large flag when a company whos prizes itself on it's story so readily breaks it for a gimmick.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

Actually, being able to play a Dressellian would be incredibly lore breaking as they were largely isolated during this period and are highly xenophobic (would have to make separate storyline, which the Sith Pure Blood don't even get with the Inquisitor class - and that is quite lame). The gameplay balance would also be completely ruined as a Dresselian Commando would be like playing the entirety of the Endor Raiding Party at once, all of which Orrimaarko could have most likely achieved alone :) Robot Chicken's Prune Face skit accurately depicts how much of a bad ass that character is.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

I'm Actually Offended by this Thread

and your weird usage of capitals in the thread title

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• RomseRomse Member Posts: 198

Originally posted by sonoggi

i was considering maybe trying the trial of TOR one day, but with circus acts like this one wrecking every possibility of immersion, i wouldnt touch this game with a stick even if it was f2p.

how do you guys feel about Huttball? will you take your Jedi Master Sage or lvl 80 Inquisitor to play space football when theyre taking a break from seeing into the future, meditating, and toppling empires?

For a lore purist... you should realize there's like more than 30 futuristic "bloodsports / team ball sports" meantioned in the lore... so a big WHATEVER TO YOU and

C U @ LAUNCH BRAH!!!

• LisXiaLisXia Member Posts: 390

Originally posted by aesperus

It seems kind of odd to me that people aren't bothered by such a feature in a game who's main selling point is the story. I'm no lore nut, but I think equating putting two arch enemies on the same team to putting lore before fun is a bit of a stretch. It's one thing to avoid a feature because it doesn't follow some minor detail, but an entirely other issue when the game breaks it's own major plot point for a cheap thrill.

I'm all for minigames, but it should raise a pretty large flag when a company whos prizes itself on it's story so readily breaks it for a gimmick.

I think they already declared that members of opposite "camps" can against fight each other but not with each other.  There can be Imperial vs Rebel, but not a team with them both inside.

• felbladexfelbladex Member Posts: 34

Originally posted by rt33

After it's launched and the very minor initial novelty wears off, you can all come and tell me your sorry and that i was 110% correct. I'll completely understand and not tell you i told you so either. After all I've been in your shoes more times than I'd like to admit. Rift i didn't fall for, and I'm certainly not falling for this one for even a cent let alone $150. Talk to you a few months after launch.

You DO know that just because games like Rift aren't number 1, that doesn't mean they failed right? Even if SWtTOR doesn't reach the top tier, if it is fun (and I happen to know it is) delivers on a third of the things it promises, and continues to update/ fix things as they come up in a timely fashion, then that's all we should hope for. If you're saying that we should crawl back to you and apologize on release if it's not number one, then that's just an ignorant statement and you have the cards stacked in your favor anyway. The number 1 game to this date wasn't number 1 in the first months it came out. (In this statement, I am in no way alluding in one way or another as to whether or not swtor will claim the top position, but I am also stating that it doesn't matter.)

As for the 150$ remark: I don't care if the game is triple platinum, triple a,  even if I've played it and it was amazing, etc... I don't buy collector's editions, especially not for that price tag.

I plan to buy the game at a normal price and be happy with my purchase because of what I have the privilege to actually know about the game. Nothing more, nothing less.

The inability to lighten up doesn't make you hardcore.

• felbladexfelbladex Member Posts: 34

By the by, you can be dark side or light side in this game on either faction. Wouldn't you think that a dark side and devoted sith and a dark side and not so devoted republic member would have similar motives? Lore-wise, there were imperals that defected to the republic and there were plenty of neutral characters that didn't stand on either side, but had leanings toward another, while still maintaining ties in the other.

Also, because you are a jedi and republic, doesn't mean that you are a light side jedi. There are dark jedis and I highly doubt that they would mind bloodsports. dark jedis do NOT equal sith. If, in the lore, it would offend your character to join in in such activities, then don't do it. You aren't being forced and there were PLENTY of bloodsports in the expanded universe in which people participated. It's in the lore and if you have an rper around that claims to be light side and yet participates in a bloodsport for fun, then that's a fail rper, not a fail game. You have a choice in this game to be what type of character you want to be. Too many people are assuming that republic = light side and imperial = dark side. That's a false assumption.

The inability to lighten up doesn't make you hardcore.

• xBludxxBludx Member Posts: 376

i was considering maybe trying the trial of TOR one day, but with circus acts like this one wrecking every possibility of immersion, i wouldnt touch this game with a stick even if it was f2p.

how do you guys feel about Huttball? will you take your Jedi Master Sage or lvl 80 Inquisitor to play space football when theyre taking a break from seeing into the future, meditating, and toppling empires?

I understand your point. Here,  I think it's appropriate to consider a Charles Bukowski quote:

Bad taste creates many more millionaires than good taste. It finally boiled down to who got the most votes. In the land of the moles a mole was king.

Originally posted by eluldor

Actually, being able to play a Dressellian would be incredibly lore breaking as they were largely isolated during this period and are highly xenophobic (would have to make separate storyline, which the Sith Pure Blood don't even get with the Inquisitor class - and that is quite lame). The gameplay balance would also be completely ruined as a Dresselian Commando would be like playing the entirety of the Endor Raiding Party at once, all of which Orrimaarko could have most likely achieved alone :) Robot Chicken's Prune Face skit accurately depicts how much of a bad ass that character is.

I know, that is why I mentioned them. Its been a long time since I read Zahns novels, but if I remember correctly nearly the same thing could be said about the Chiss.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

Nice sig Tarcore.. did you make it?

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

Actually, being able to play a Dressellian would be incredibly lore breaking as they were largely isolated during this period and are highly xenophobic

I know, that is why I mentioned them. Its been a long time since I read Zahns novels, but if I remember correctly nearly the same thing could be said about the Chiss.

Well for the Chiss, Daniel Erickson received some liberties from LA and expanded on their lore to match the Old Republic time. I think this decision coincides with the depiction of Thrawn's character to be the epitome of how the Imperial Agent should be, even if that requires writing new lore to make a large Chiss presence adequatly fit into the game. The lore provided for them does acknowledge that there is little known of them, but I doubt this will be depicted in the storyline since that is based on class and not species (Sith Purebloods can't be inquisitors, so the nearly 100% force sensitive species can only be trained as Warriors? ya right...) Storyline is killing lore right there. I'm not really a fan of any of the species options included, and was hoping for ones like Kal Dorians, Rodians, Nautolans (game does not have swimming though haha), and a human resembling one the Kiffar (not much to go on). Sounds like Bioware is willing to add more playable species and may even have a few in reserve though :)

And to get in on this huttball, I'll be steering clear of it with my Consular, but I'll let my imp agent partake ;)

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

So fun trumps rp.

First off, Huttball is NOT capture the flag.  It's more like the Aztec version of "soccer", which is to say there were no rules and the losers were killed for their ineptitude.  Much better comparisson.  Bashing it because it is a "Wowesque arena and a game of capture the flag" is at the very least insincere, if not an outright over-exxageration to prove a weak point.

Second, Qui'Jon very litterally wagered young Anakin's life for a chance to get a new engine for his ship.  Not his own life, but that of a young boy who really had no way of understanding the risks.  I'm sorry, but 10-12 year olds just do NOT know what it means to die.

Third, I was four when I saw the first Star Wars: A New Hope way back in 1977.  I have literally been a Star Wars fan almost all my life, at least the part of it I can remember.  Even so, I would NOT simply consign Huttball as some "Lore Breaking Junk" (yes, my words not yours) as you seem too.  If you think about it, what was seen in the Original Trilogy, the New Trilogy, and even in the EU is SO small compared to what would be out there, that I have no problem seeing this fitting in very easily.

In short I have no problem with BioWare adding this to their game and expanding on the Lore of Star Wars.  I see no reason that the Star Wars Universe shouldn't be expanded on and strangly enough, some of that lore may even include things that make me uncomfortable, but it is the overall of the game that needs to be looked at in my opinion and not itty bitty peices of it.  Geez, it's not like they put "Quebert" in the game after all.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

Originally posted by Precusor

Nice sig Tarcore.. did you make it?

Thanks! Yeah I make all my own sigs. Though I blatantly stole Liverpool's football club logo (my team) and just converted it to Aruebesh. And the SW guys are from SWOTR's own Fanclub kit.

Actually, being able to play a Dressellian would be incredibly lore breaking as they were largely isolated during this period and are highly xenophobic

Well for the Chiss, Daniel Erickson received some liberties from LA and expanded on their lore to match the Old Republic time. I think this decision coincides with the depiction of Thrawn's character to be the epitome of how the Imperial Agent should be, even if that requires writing new lore to make a large Chiss presence adequatly fit into the game. The lore provided for them does acknowledge that there is little known of them, but I doubt this will be depicted in the storyline since that is based on class and not species (Sith Purebloods can't be inquisitors, so the nearly 100% force sensitive species can only be trained as Warriors? ya right...) Storyline is killing lore right there. I'm not really a fan of any of the species options included, and was hoping for ones like Kal Dorians, Rodians, Nautolans (game does not have swimming though haha), and a human resembling one the Kiffar (not much to go on). Sounds like Bioware is willing to add more playable species and may even have a few in reserve though :)

And to get in on this huttball, I'll be steering clear of it with my Consular, but I'll let my imp agent partake ;)

Fair enough, looks like the Chiss are rather popular among the (Johnny come lately) extended universe fans, so they added some new lore to add them to the game. To paraphrase Robot Chicken, "Thanks Fanbois". Like you I would have prefered they expanded on some of the older and more established races instead of the marginal ones such as the Chiss. But then agan maybe they will add some more races in the future if the game really takes off.

As to Huttball itself, my smuggler will avoid it like ballroom dancing, but I imagine my Sith toon will happily jump in with both feet.

• BarakIIIBarakIII Member Posts: 800

Fair enough, looks like the Chiss are rather popular among the (Johnny come lately) extended universe fans, so they added some new lore to add them to the game. To paraphrase Robot Chicken, "Thanks Fanbois". Like you I would have prefered they expanded on some of the older and more established races instead of the marginal ones such as the Chiss. But then agan maybe they will add some more races in the future if the game really takes off.

As to Huttball itself, my smuggler will avoid it like ballroom dancing, but I imagine my Sith toon will happily jump in with both feet.

The Empire came to conquer their planet, it's not like they really had much choice in the matter. So instead of being conquered they negotiated a means by which they would become part of the Empire and yet still retain some of their autonomy. I don't care who you are or how isolated you are, under those circumstances trying to pretend nothing will change will get you nowhere.

Why would your smuggler avoid it? Just curious because it seems to me that if anyone were to avoid it it would be Jedi and maybe Sith, not any of the other classes. I mean the two classes that really fit in with the lifestyle of Nar Shadaa are smugglers and bounty hunters.

Edit: and I cannot believe that a discussion of Huttball, which is just one small instanced game within TOR, has gone on for 40 pages now.

• ericlatrelleericlatrelle Member UncommonPosts: 176
    The nerd rage in this post is legendary.
  • rebelhero1rebelhero1 Member Posts: 229

Will you take your level 80 Inquisitor to play space football when theyre taking a break from seeing into the future, meditating, and toppling empires?

Yes. And it will be glorious.

Playing: *sigh* back to WoW :(
    --------
    Waiting for: SW:TOR, APB, WoD
    ---------
    Played and loved: Eve and WoW
    --------
    Played and hated: WoW:WotLK, Warhammer, every single F2P

• ericlatrelleericlatrelle Member UncommonPosts: 176

Originally posted by rebelhero1

Will you take your level 80 Inquisitor to play space football when theyre taking a break from seeing into the future, meditating, and toppling empires?

Yes. And it will be glorious.

Pretty much. Huttball looks like it's going to be awesome.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

I dont think it lore breaking at all that there exists a game in the Star Wars universe that was not noted in the books.  What is lore breaking is that jedi and sith can play on the same side in huttball but nowhere else in SWTOR.  A mmo universe should be self consistent.