Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars: Feast Your Eyes - Our First Ever Video Review

skywisenightskywisenight Member UncommonPosts: 348

In our latest "first ever" feature, MMORPG.com presents a video review of the Guild Wars Trilogy. The trilogy of games includes the original Guild Wars as well as Factions, Nightfall and the final installment of Eye of the North. MMORPG.com's Mobin Koohestani takes viewers on visual tour of Guild Wars while simultaneously giving them something to think about in the form of his review.

Check out Guild Wars: Feast Your Eyes - Our First Ever Video Review!

Comments

• GeowashGeowash Member Posts: 372

Good review other than the fact you need to either be louder, or turn down the game music. I had a hard time hearing you in parts, with that in mind though, well spoken and as always Guild Wars has been one of the prime aspects of why I love RPGs in general. Cant wait for Guild Wars 2. 

-Zach Sharpes

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

It's a great game with tons of things to do! I'm playing it for over 5 years now, it's not as popular (judging by the number of active players) as it was before but it's bearable. Can't wait for GW2 to continue this great journey.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• TreeEskimoTreeEskimo Member Posts: 1

Guild Wars 2

• GodshelpGodshelp Member Posts: 16

The mic quality was horrible.  And it mainly came from my left speaker in my headset.  No sound came from the right speaker, and just the audio in general was quite bad.

Good review though.

• Slam707Slam707 Member Posts: 9

Great review. Perfect length and detail I look for in a review.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Its a little slow and boring. Not trying to be mean .. but i'd look into finding someone who is good at post production. record chunks, use transitions, popups, overlays, etc.

If you record in small chunks, it's really easy to go back and refine a piece where you slur a word or use 5 adjectives to describe a blade of grass and want to simplify.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• JaredKFanJaredKFan Member UncommonPosts: 22

Great review!  I'm deaf so I couldn't hear any audio, but the visuals were plenty good enough to convince me that I should try this game. Been meaning to try it for a while actually!

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

I've only been playing a few days now, but I think you gave it way too high a score in graphics/interface.  The graphics in no way should get a 9.  The environments look fine if you took a picture of them, but they are lifeless.  Kind of like looking at the graphics in an older FPS like half-life 2 as compared to a modern shooter.  The environmental effects are just so much better these days with much better lighting, environmental movement, atmosphere, etc.

As for the interface, I can't believe you didn't mention how terrible the camera was.  The slightest change in elevation might peg the camera down so you can barely see.  It is probably the worst camera implementation I have ever seen in a modern game.  Very annoying.

As for the rest of the review I think seemed fair.  I personally am dissapointed in it so far but I will give it another go in a few days I think...

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

• DrSpankyDrSpanky Member Posts: 341

Originally posted by azmundai

Its a little slow and boring. Not trying to be mean .. but i'd look into finding someone who is good at post production. record chunks, use transitions, popups, overlays, etc.

If you record in small chunks, it's really easy to go back and refine a piece where you slur a word or use 5 adjectives to describe a blade of grass and want to simplify.

Yeah, I thought it was a little dull as well, and the audio was a bit bad. But hey, it was their first video review. Ya gotta start somewhere.

It's a proven historical fact that beer saved humankind.

• NailzzzNailzzz Member UncommonPosts: 515

Im still trying to understand the comment about lacking enough end game for longevity over 2 yrs. I played it for a solid 3 yrs and i never came close to runing out of content. 90% of the game is end game so the lack of end game content argument doesnt really make alot of sense. I just came back to the game after a 3 yr break and im still nowhere near done with hard mode and i will likely still be working on it by the time GW2 releases. And that isnt counting all the guild wars beyond content that they are still adding up to the release of GW2.

• 4l13n4l13n Member Posts: 9

Pleaaaaaaaaaase let coyote make a video review it would be awesome !

• AzureblazeAzureblaze Member UncommonPosts: 130

Great review, however as others have said please either get a new mic or turn off mic boost and normalize the sound through another program before adding it to your video.  It sounds like it's either your mic or you recorded at too high volume (mic boost possibly didn't help if it was on).

The way it is now, the audio on this video causes your voice to crackle like the volume is too high, even if it's set low.

When your voice gets lower later in the video the problem goes away for the most part but then your voice is too low compared to the music, thus that's why a normalize would help as well.

Audioacity works pretty well to work with sound files, may want to record there instead or modify the sound file afterwords with it.

Good going MMORPG for their first video!!

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

I think the review was plenty good.  Im not sure why some are complaining about the audio quality.  I thought it sounded fine. 

As far as GW, Im not sure Ive ever seen this game in motion before, but I was not impressed.  It looked really bland to me.   Ive really been looking forward to GW2, but I hope its pretty different from this. 

• wrathzillawrathzilla Member UncommonPosts: 76

You said there's only enough longevity for 1 or 2 years. Remember that the level cap being 20 on purpose so 80% of the game IS end game.

Oh and also, with Guild Wars 2's speculated release date in early 2012, 1-2 years of longevity is really overkill, after GW2's release the only reason i see people playing this game is to farm their Hall of Monuments for the GW2 bonuses.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Not to bring up the obvious doubts here, but a the game gets high ratings, but the games own developer feels the need to completely remake it and the systesm you just praised?

I mean hey for a free game it is probably worth dropping the coin if it does have the content you speak of.

• tshack88tshack88 Member Posts: 48

I don't know if I've ever heard anyone criticize a UI for being too simple...

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

The game actually lasts a very long time. A lot of players seem to play on and off. With it being buy to play, its that much easier to get back into. I've been playing for 6 years and I haven't even done at least 40% of all the pve content. I barely touched pvp.

• captainnlcaptainnl Member Posts: 70

Originally posted by tshack88

I don't know if I've ever heard anyone criticize a UI for being too simple...

He was just complaining for the sake of complaining. Did not want to give it a 10.0 so stated  a bogus reason. 

• mexxxmexxx Member UncommonPosts: 6

will guild wars 2 be the same as guild wars in terms of the non shared environment? this as the only reason i kept playing linage 2 during the time... because guild wars had everything in instanced and only you and your party were able to explore... so the world seemed dead... any clue if this will change?

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

Just one thing....

your build sucks. I KID!

It was alright and the first posters advice was right.

This is not a game.

• sabine33sabine33 Member Posts: 18

It is horrible game. I tried to play few times but ugly graphic  and  hentai looking characters was not for me. I can see that GW2 follow same path of  ''made only for few''. But  ok, not all people have same taste and on the end who cares-play what ever you want

• sabine33sabine33 Member Posts: 18

No it will not change it is sam path, only with new graphic

• AKASlaphappyAKASlaphappy Member UncommonPosts: 800

Originally posted by mexxx

will guild wars 2 be the same as guild wars in terms of the non shared environment? this as the only reason i kept playing linage 2 during the time... because guild wars had everything in instanced and only you and your party were able to explore... so the world seemed dead... any clue if this will change?

I do not want to be rude because anyone should be allowed to ask any question, but if you were really interested you could find the answer to this in just a few seconds of looking. This answer has been known for a long time now, and I really have to wonder when people ask question to get information they could get in a two second search, if they are even serious or just trolling.

Here is what I found in two seconds of searching:

Will Guild Wars 2 be an MMO?

Yes. Guild Wars 2 provides a massive, online persistent world.

The World

Set some 250 years after the original game. Tyria will be the only playable continent, the continents of Elona (Nightfall GW-Chapter 3) and Cantha (Factions – GW chapter 2) will not be included.

The game world is set to be much larger than the original game, much of the game play is said to be underwater. The lost land of Orr has risen from the depths and along with it the elder dragons have returned to threaten its survival.

The majority of the world, with the exception of dungeons and personal storyline, is set in a persistent world and isn't heavily instanced like its predecessor. Areas will be large and from what we've seen in videos will be zoned, meaning there will be portals and loading screens between areas.

There are 25 large explorable zones, 8 dungeons, and 6 cities currently planned for Guild Wars 2 Source

The world will have day/night and weather cycles. Some events will be linked to the time of day and weather cycle, some events will even effect weather.

As well as language understandable by the player there will be translatable languages discoverable by players, source: The language of Guild Wars

Originally posted by sabine33

No it will not change it is sam path, only with new graphic

There are many differences between GW1 and GW2 and the fact you say there isn’t is laughable. Go ahead keep spreading misinformation, that anyone with a head on their shoulders (and a brain), can do a little research and find it is an outright lie! 

• therez0therez0 Member Posts: 379

A couple points:

1) You can re-arrange the UI.  Give that point back.

2) Bullshit on the longevity.  I've been playing for six years.  There are still items in my quest log, zones to be vanquished, weapon skins to be collected, builds to be made, seaonal events to partake, and GW: Beyond content to explore.  Not to mention the PvP, which is still as gripping as the day the game launched.  Good luck getting through all that in 1-2 years; its possible, but you may want to have your nurse move you every once in a while so you dont get bed-sores.

• MalevilMalevil Member Posts: 468

Originally posted by sabine33

It is horrible game. I tried to play few times but ugly graphic  and  hentai looking characters was not for me. I can see that GW2 follow same path of  ''made only for few''. But  ok, not all people have same taste and on the end who cares-play what ever you want

LOL , if gw has hentai looking characters, then you must see hentai everywhere ... {mod edit}