Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MARK (Middle Ages Online Rising Kingdoms) - fullpvp, sandbox, hardcore mmo

YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

MMOculture's article on the game

So got a bit interested after seeing this article on mmoculture.

The game's idea is bassically middle-ages setting,complete with player built cities, castles, etc.

- FFA PVP with player looting(however everyone has ability to automatically send their items from inventory to warehouse, which reminds me of how eve's clone system works - you are careful you won't loose much). Theoretically one can level completely through PVP. However player killing is dangerous thing, as game allows players to set bounties upon other players, hire npc assassins and all that stuff. Not to mention King's guards patrolling the territories.
- Class-less Gameplay - game has absolutely no classes or builds. Everyone can use and learn anything and whatever they want.
- Historically accurate medieval setting, armors, designs, places - the company behind the game claims to have "carefully researched" the history of that period, as well as having made countless trips to england, germany, eastern europe, the castles and stuff there, etc.
- Unique means of transportation - mounts, hang-gliders, airships, etc, everything available everywhere in persistent non-instanced world.
- Prominent and complex building system - everything from castles, castle walls, houses,ports, shops, blacksmith buildings, player run warehouses and etc. Its up to players to build and populate the world.

Trailer 1
Trailer 2

IMO, so far seems quite an ambitious project coming from korea(ffa pvp, sandboxy gameplay, etc). But, if they would succeed, this, for me at least, might be the next DAOC.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
# ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
# A MASKED CRY ADORING
# A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

Comments

• XexvXexv Member Posts: 308

Trailer 1 was interesting until the knight started flying around =) for some reason that was a major turn off.

Still, might be worth a look - thanks.

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

Originally posted by Yuui

The game's idea is bassically middle-ages setting,complete with player built cities, castles, etc.

- FFA PVP with player looting(however everyone has ability to automatically send their items from inventory to warehouse, which reminds me of how eve's clone system works - you are careful you won't loose much). Theoretically one can level completely through PVP. However player killing is dangerous thing, as game allows players to set bounties upon other players, hire npc assassins and all that stuff. Not to mention King's guards patrolling the territories.

- Class-less Gameplay - game has absolutely no classes or builds. Everyone can use and learn anything and whatever they want.

- Historically accurate medieval setting, armors, designs, places - the company behind the game claims to have "carefully researched" the history of that period, as well as having made countless trips to england, germany, eastern europe, the castles and stuff there, etc.

- Unique means of transportation - mounts, hang-gliders, airships, etc, everything available everywhere in persistent non-instanced world.

- Prominent and complex building system - everything from castles, castle walls, houses,ports, shops, blacksmith buildings, player run warehouses and etc. Its up to players to build and populate the world.

Trailer 1

Trailer 2

IMO, so far seems quite an ambitious project coming from korea(ffa pvp, sandboxy gameplay, etc). But, if they would succeed, this, for me at least, might be the next DAOC.

what about www.primeonline.com they even have sanya weathers from doac as the commuinty manager. but this game looks interesting too

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

Trailer 1

Trailer 2

This "Unique means of transportation - mounts, hang-gliders, airships, etc," 

would seem to contradict with this

Historically accurate medieval setting

DeVinci (and we'd really be talking Renaissance here) had some drawings but that's about it. Historicaly it would be horse/donkey, cart, boat or feet. That's about it.

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by GrumpyMel2

Trailer 1
    Trailer 2

DeVinci (and we'd really be talking Renaissance here) had some drawings but that's about it. Historicaly it would be horse/donkey, cart, boat or feet. That's about it.

Well, imo the historically accurate part seems to be about the game's designs(that is you most likely won't see women in miniskirts running around or whitehaired males with oversized swords or hilariously looking asian creatures). Which is fine enough with me.

If it was historically accurate in gameplay, 99% of player population would be plowing fields or dying from diseases.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

Intresting, it looks a bit like MO but somehow this seems to work ;)

The flying tool is obvious a asian must have and compleetly not historical or realistic but its a nice thing to have and does give some extra depth to the game.

as for history and their rechearts it looks like they used wikipedia and just trown in every armor style from celtic barbarian to roman empire and the dark ages, thats fine tho it offers a bit of custom feel to a army /guild that desided to only wear roman era cloths or walk around as half naket barbarians.

skill system is obvious tap-target and while most here would love the fps/m&b style we dont have to think deep to realize that tap-targeting simply works bettter in games that create enough lag on its own in a non-static world.

question is ofc how long will it be before this game reaches the western market, thats always the problem of asian games, they come out in 2008 and finaly translate the game in 2011 by the its far to late most of the time and the market moved on.

for now I have add this game to the "lets keep a eye on it list"

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

If it was historically accurate in gameplay, 99% of player population would be plowing fields or dying from diseases.

Well, that would satisfy the Uncle Owens out there.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• holifeetholifeet Member Posts: 532

Looks like Vanguard. It looked like it played like Vanguard.

All hail the Pixel, for it is glorious Orange!
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

looks like something to keep an eye on.  Not enough information right now to know one way or another.  I like the setting, I like the idea.... but its too far out.

I self identify as a monkey.

• alastor44alastor44 Member UncommonPosts: 21

Looks to be an interesting game... but trailers usually make games look better than they really are. Only time will tell on this project. With all these new mmo's releasing in the near future I am going to have a tough time choosing one to play hah!

Waiting for:
    Diablo 3 Seasonal Ladders
    Warlords of Draenor

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Trailer 1

Trailer 2

Maybe the next Shadowbane, or even UO, but not even close to DAOC since it has FFA PVP and full loot, two items prominently absent from the core DAOC servers. (and the FFA servers were always a niche item)

The general market has no stomach for full loot unless there are viable ways to protect their stuff (see EVE) and the predators of the PVP world really can't enjoy the game without prey to feed on.

Bounty systems are unworkable, no MMO has successfully implemented one yet, and it is very tricky to balance between keeping the game safe enough for the carebears and yet provide enough PVP goodness for those who want to hunt.

I wish them luck, but don't hold out much hope that they'll deliver a blockbuster.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Distopia2Distopia2 Member Posts: 574

Originally posted by holifeet

Looks like Vanguard. It looked like it played like Vanguard.

I think it looked more like MO or something along those lines, IMO of course.

To SB fans, please stop making our demographic look bad.Stop invading threads that have nothing to do with sandboxes.

SW:TOR Graphics Evolution and Comparison

SW:TOR Compare MMO Quests, Combat and More...

• jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Uncle Owen was burned to death witha flamthrower, not killed by disease; im sorry am I missing something here?

• RaevanhawkRaevanhawk Member Posts: 86

Originally posted by Raxeon

Trailer 1

Trailer 2

what about www.primeonline.com they even have sanya weathers from doac as the commuinty manager. but this game looks interesting too

Primeonline looks interesting. It's nice to see sanya, but she wasn't a designer of DAOC. Atleast they seem to get what everyone has not, the need for 3 factions if your going to have decent PvP.

• AndurinAndurin Member UncommonPosts: 125

It looks good.  The graphics are good enough and it has some interesting things going on with the transportation and all that but you can never tell with a sandbox type of MMO.  I don't think the sandbox crowd is craving awesome graphics or a bunch of new concepts, just something like umm sandboxy donr right.  There is a lot to get right in these types of games and the sandbox nature makes it harder to predict the variables, how people will play it etc.  

But, it's good to see anyone trying to make these types of games still.  There is still a market out there and a company is going to come along sooner or later that is able to cash in on it.  Hopefully it's this one because I've been waiting long enough! 

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

It's a great looking game world.  Would be nice to play a game in that game world, not just have a big hollow shell to roam around in (the games I enjoy offer me both a big world to roam *and* lots of interesting activities to do while playing.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• AluviusAluvius Member Posts: 288

Originally posted by jiveturkey12

Uncle Owen was burned to death witha flamthrower, not killed by disease; im sorry am I missing something here?

Actually I think Uncle Owen was burned to death with blasters set to low discharge wide beam.  It killed them slowly so the troopers could question them via torture.

However I think its referring to a particular sort of sandbox fan that wants to be a moisture farmer on Tatooine, ie wants to set up shop somewhere to craft and build and farm heh.

• cinderboycinderboy Member UncommonPosts: 35

Have my babies <3

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

FFA PvP with player looting? imageimageimage

I'll pass.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Not our fault if you're the kind that likes narrow-scoped, led by the hand, strict path, close ended, gameplay with little variety.  Some of us want more than that.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• LisXiaLisXia Member Posts: 390

Originally posted by Yuui.

The use of numbers to accurately model combat?  So a real Tiger tank has 800 hitpoints, and an Amercian Sherman need to shoot it 800 shots to kill it?  Likewise when you hit a living man dressed in plate, you do a math and somehow that dictates the "damage",  That is accurate?

Its a game.  Do not fall for such stupid ad.  There is nothing realistic or accurate there.  In a real fight, you want to avoid being hit, as you do not have a steady bar of hp to buffer your survival.  Once hit, your "dps" might dramatically drop and your "AC" might ...

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by GrumpyMel2

Well, probably but there are a few possibilities that people actually had some way of flying transportation before the Montgolfier brothers.

This is of course just speculations and not by any mean historically proven, but it isn't beyond doubt not proven either, since it is rather hard to prove something didn't exist.

This is a mayan model, it looks familiar, doesn't it?

Maybe it was a copy of a toy, maybe it is coincident or maybe the Mayans actually had gliders?

This one is egyptian from 200 BC. NASA tried it in a windtunnel, and if you guess that the small missing part is aerodynamical as the rest of the model it would actually fly well.  Some archeologists think it may have been a glider they launched by a catapult (this is just a model of course).

There are also speculations about the Nazca indians, Thor Heyerdahl thought they might had balloons and other have discussed gliders. There are nothing close to proofs but we did know that they actually did pretty advanced brain surgery 1500 years ago.

There are a lot of weird stuff in history and some ancient people were a lot more advanced than the general person today seems to think. There is the bagdad battery from 2000 years ago..

And it wasn't James Watt that invented the steam engine, it was a greek guy almost 2000 years ago. He just did it to prove a principel and never thought to use it for something useful (slaves were simpler) but we tend to think people were dumber before us even though they actually were just as smart.

So gliders might not be historical correct but it is really hard to prove that. ;)

• LisXiaLisXia Member Posts: 390

Originally posted by Kyleran

Bounty systems are unworkable, no MMO has successfully implemented one yet, and it is very tricky to balance between keeping the game safe enough for the carebears and yet provide enough PVP goodness for those who want to hunt.

I wish them luck, but don't hold out much hope that they'll deliver a blockbuster.

Bounty hunting might work, if there is no arrow on the map showing where the target is.  That way, BHs need to find the target.

BH might work better if the target is somehow protected, and would not lose everything if killed.  This would in turn, be exploited.

• redpinsredpins Member Posts: 147

I don't see any fluidity in the combat. The animations look stiff and vulgur. What I do see is emptiness in the game, will i have scale-able dynamic events? Doesn't make sense to me, as it seems to early to tell. From what I saw, I'll pass.

I struggle not with life, money, emotions, and world, but against old mindsets and selves to be proven obsolete in a age and time of rapid changes. Go create fun, so you can have fun.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

Originally posted by LisXia

Its a game.  Do not fall for such stupid ad.  There is nothing realistic or accurate there.  In a real fight, you want to avoid being hit, as you do not have a steady bar of hp to buffer your survival.  Once hit, your "dps" might dramatically drop and your "AC" might ...

Quite true, which is why I desire to be able to use a dodge/block feature in any MMO. Taking one step towards reality, in avoiding to be hit is something every one of these games should implement imo.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by LisXia

The use of numbers to accurately model combat?  So a real Tiger tank has 800 hitpoints, and an Amercian Sherman need to shoot it 800 shots to kill it?  Likewise when you hit a living man dressed in plate, you do a math and somehow that dictates the "damage",  That is accurate?

For an armored knight being hit is usually not a problem. To actually get one down you often need to stun him and then stick a stilletto in one of the holes in his armor. A knight was the Tiget tank of "Ye olde world".

Actually making a game realistic and fun is very hard, particularly if you want classes with armor as well as cloth classes while still wanting some balance..

An unarmored man can actually down a knight in full plate, Hans Tallhoffer shows several ways for that but it is not balanced and even an expert will have problems to down a unexperienced knight.

So I think it is mostly BS, I doubt this game will be realistic unless all players play knights.