Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stan Lee media sues Paradox of the Conan IP

Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Stan Lee media are suing the owner of the Conan IP, Swedish Paradox entertainment. They want all the income from the new movie for starters.

While the whole thing sounds pretty stupid to me (they are suing Marvel and Stan Lee himself for the Spiderman license as well), they were forced to sell the IP when the company tanked 10 years ago but they are claiming foul play.

I wonder what would happen if they actually wins the case? And if it would affect AoC or not?

A guildie of mine owns a lot of stocks in Paradox and he is to say the least unhappy, not only did the Conan movie start rather bad, but with this thing his stocks plummeted.

Comments

• LeoghanLeoghan Member Posts: 607

Might make some people go out and see the movie to see what all the fuss is about... 

• tussauctussauc Member UncommonPosts: 147

Greed makes even the smartest people the village idiot.

• SpallieroSpalliero Member Posts: 147

Well money obviously rules the world.

Sic Luceat Lux

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by iicogigen

Marvel's been willing to sue anyone at all pretty consistently over the last ten years.  Remember Marvel vs City of Heroes?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by Icewhite

Originally posted by iicogigen

Marvel's been willing to sue anyone at all pretty consistently over the last ten years.  Remember Marvel vs City of Heroes?

There is a little more to this particular lawsuit than that. Plus this has been going back and forth in the courts for years. Stan Lees company Stan Lee Entertainment merged with Stan Lee Media into a new publicaly traded company. The rights to the Conan franchise were purchased during this time. Stan Lee media had to sell off all their IP rights when they went bankrupt due to running out of venture capitol. Stan Lee's business partner was investigated and went to jail for 10 years for either embezzelment or misallocation of funds, which may have led to SLMs bankruptcy. Then durning the bankruptcy Stan Lee transfered the rights to characters and titles he created for SLM to his own new company, and didn't bother to list them as SLM assets for the bankruptcy, which is a no no. So there have been numerous lawsuits since then.

If I was the guys at SLM and had lost my shirt, and then one of my business partners was sent down for misalocation of funds, which just may have led to my company running out of money, and the other sneakily tried to take his own IPs to his new company and leave me hanging, I think I'd be suing the pants off them too.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• sungodrasungodra Member Posts: 1,376

Thought this movie would be good for AoC.. they could even put an advertisement at the beginning of it in theatres..

"When it comes to GW2 any game is fair game"

• sungodrasungodra Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by Scambug

Stan Lee Media is suing Stan Lee?

That sounds like LucasArts suing George Lucas...Heh, funny world we live in.

I know, this doesn't make any sense Stan Lee is the owner of Conan IP.

"When it comes to GW2 any game is fair game"

• kegtapkegtap Member Posts: 261

good luck to that Law suite marvel has mickey mouse backing them up now. 

I can feel your anger. This game is defenseless. Take your weapon. Strike this game down with all of your hatred, and your journey towards towards the Dark Side will be complete.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Originally posted by TardcoreThen durning the bankruptcy Stan Lee transfered the rights to characters and titles he created for SLM to his own new company, and didn't bother to list them as SLM assets for the bankruptcy, which is a no no. So there have been numerous lawsuits since then.

related link

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/conan-barbarian-lawsuit-seeks-character-225865

The company claims that the transfer of the "Conan" character is void because at that time in 2002, "the shares of Conan Properties and all other assets of SLMI were part of a bankruptcy estate and protected from unauthorized transfer by the automatic bankruptcy stay."