Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: The Real Top 10 MMOs of 2012

Comments

• AKASlaphappyAKASlaphappy Member UncommonPosts: 800

Originally posted by Chilliesauce

That is a big 'IF' that is why i said that in terms of sheer popularity WOW will always be number one.

Will always? If people that like this genre believe this MMOs are doomed! There is no way this genre is going to survive if the only game that ever reaches the point where people that do not play MMOs know it is WoW. I actually feel sorry for this genre if its fans believe in 2020 WoW will be the most recognized game. To put that in prospective I know a lot of people that do not play games and they can name more than one single player game (it should be the same with MMOs if this genre is healthy), so if people in 2020 cannot name any other MMO than WoW good luck on this genre surviving.  

Other than that good list look forward to seeing how close it is at the end of 2012.

• semantikronsemantikron Member Posts: 258

WTF?  You think it's just coinicidental that there's an explosion of democracy in the Middle East that is giving the people of those countries time to prepare for GW2 launch?

Charr: Outta my way.
    Human: What's your problem?
    Charr: Your thin skin.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by semantikron

WTF?  You think it's just coinicidental that there's an explosion of democracy in the Middle East that is giving the people of those countries time to prepare for GW2 launch?

Achievement get: Thread win.

• ChilliesauceChilliesauce Member Posts: 559

Originally posted by AKASlaphappy

That is a big 'IF' that is why i said that in terms of sheer popularity WOW will always be number one.

Will always? If people that like this genre believe this MMOs are doomed! There is no way this genre is going to survive if the only game that ever reaches the point where people that do not play MMOs know it is WoW. I actually feel sorry for this genre if its fans believe in 2020 WoW will be the most recognized game. To put that in prospective I know a lot of people that do not play games and they can name more than one single player game (it should be the same with MMOs if this genre is healthy), so if people in 2020 cannot name any other MMO than WoW good luck on this genre surviving.  

Other than that good list look forward to seeing how close it is at the end of 2012.

I have no idea what WOW's popularity in future got anything to do with survival of MMO genre. Talk about over reaction. WOW can close down its servers tomorrow and still it will be remembered and stay popular for gamers because like it or not it belongs to golden era of MMOS when MMORPG went main stream and wasn't limited to basement nerds.

You talk as if WOW is the worst game and by remembering it fanbase somehow should feel ashamed.

• ShivamShivam Member Posts: 465

WOW is like Elvis of MMORPG. Dead or alive it will always be popular. But i agree with above poster...way to over react.

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty -- Mahatma Gandhi

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558

Planetside 2 is a must on that list!!

• AKASlaphappyAKASlaphappy Member UncommonPosts: 800

Originally posted by Shivam

WOW is like Elvis of MMORPG. Dead or alive it will always be popular. But i agree with above poster...way to over react.

Are you really comparing WoW to Elvis a guy that has been dead since 1977 and still racks in millions of dollars each year? Wow has just barley been around for 7 years and already the fans are linking it to Elvis, I really feel sorry for the genre!

And for your record that was not an overreaction I was just pointing out how stupid it sounds to me to say WoW will be popular forever when it is freaking 7 years old. Unless you people have a way to travel into the future you do not know that, it could be a game rarely mentioned like Battletoads for all we know.

• ShivamShivam Member Posts: 465

Originally posted by Shivam

Are you really comparing WoW to Elvis a guy that has been dead since 1977 and still racks in millions of dollars each year? Wow has just barley been around for 7 years and already the fans are linking it to Elvis, I really feel sorry for the genre!

And for your record that was not an overreaction I was just pointing out how stupid it sounds to me to say WoW will be popular forever when it is freaking 7 years old. Unless you people have a way to travel into the future you do not know that, it could be a game rarely mentioned like Battletoads for all we know.

There we go again.Stop feeling sorry for genre because it will just do fine. And yes i used Elvis a s an example because in MMO genre nothing has been bigger and popular. So i would be surprised if WOW is still not talked about after 20 years.

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty -- Mahatma Gandhi

• TerminatusTerminatus Member Posts: 104

Its a very reasonable list and i can accept it without much of a problem

Personally i won't playing TSW because it's done by Failcom (sure, i has some intriging stuff and ideas but so had AoC) and me and my HC Raiding members got tired of getting banned almost everyday for either pooling gold to build our player city as a FIRST (be it World or Server) or banned for selling (either for absurdly high prices or volumes) player crafter stuff that only we could make in the server due our city crafting shops... and trust me, getting ppl banned almost every day while taking 1+ week to un-ban them makes alot of resentment and a big no-no on trust at the Failcom Support Department.

Personally i hope they have improved, cuz we sure don't need no more garbage launches, the last couple of years have already filled that quota nicelly :p

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by Urvan

imo games that aren't even out yet shouldn't get rated. so your top 2 are flawed imho.

2012 isn't out yet, so the article is flawed.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

I like the list, altough I won't include pay 2 win  games (AoC, TSW and Lotro)  in mine, so it will basically be very short.

1. Aion

I hope the include an ability to play the real Aion and not the more westernized one. Could Tera take over Aions spot? In terms of graphic absolutely but from what I've read the game its not doing too well in the east.

I also know lots of people whos interest has dropped significantly cause of Frogster publishing it.

2. Guild Wars 2

Gamescom showed some improved graphics and the game is looking better now but the Azura animations are really comical. I agree with you most of its success will depend on how they are handling the itemshop. If its like in Guild Wars 1 than fine, otherwise I can see it becoming another pay 2 win soon hopefully Arenanet isn't that dumb.

3. EvE

only if CCP is  calming down, removing the cash shop and their stupid plans of introducing console kiddies with things like Dust into the game.

4. Rift

Soon they are going to add alternate advancement and their first expansion, so I think the game will grow again but only if they stop listening to the forum crybabies, whining for addons/dumb down stuff.

I heavily disagree with the statement that World of Warcraft will be overtaken by any game, Blizzard has the most loyal  fanbois accepting everything Blizzard does, no matter what it is. I do believe, more and more games will take some subs from it.

ToRs longterm success will depend hon how fast they are going to add quality content and depth to their gameplay. I doubt story, story, story and story will keep people interested for a longer period of time.

I didn't include AA cause I doubt it will release in 2012 :( but overall its the game Im really really looking forward to.

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Tera is going to flop
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I have to agree with Bill, his list sounds pretty likely, even though I have some doubts about Aion and fears that Funcom will botch TSWs launch.

Of course we are just talking guesses here but Bills list is close to mine.

• KyngBillsKyngBills Member UncommonPosts: 452

LOTRO should be higher than Tera and Rift...It's more established, thriving, and growing...I liked Rift a lot when I played it, and Tera looks like it wil be a nice Game (especially visually)...So nothing against those two Games...But neither has the following of say...Star Wars for example...And LOTRO has weathered storms those two Games have yet to see and come out a winner...It's a fantastic Game overall...image

• KyngBillsKyngBills Member UncommonPosts: 452

Originally posted by DerWotan

I like the list, altough I won't include pay 2 win  games (AoC, TSW and Lotro)  in mine, so it will basically be very short.

Exactly what makes LOTRO a "pay 2 win?" Because I have not paid a dime over my $10 a Month ever and I win just fine on 4 Level Capped Characters...I've yet to hear a single Kin Member complain about the F2P format...It's made the Game thrive...So do tell...What makes LOTRO "pay 2 win?" 

I heavily disagree with the statement that World of Warcraft will be overtaken by any game, Blizzard has the most loyal  fanbois accepting everything Blizzard does, no matter what it is. I do believe, more and more games will take some subs from it.

It doesn't matter in the long run. Sooner or later will the game be so old that it wont attract new players and many of the players are mainly playing because all their friends are playing (just like many people listen to the music on the top lists because they are on the top lists).

Bill is possibly a bit too early, it might be that Wow wont be overtaken until 2013 or 2014 but it will happen, and not that far in the future. MMOs might last longer than regular games but Wow is already 7 years old and have been long players the last year, Blizzard have even admitted it themselves.

That doesn't mean that Wow is a bad game, it wouldn't have stayed on top that long if it was.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

"One thing’s for sure.  2012 will be an interesting year."

I couldn't agree more, especially if you look at how the Top 6 - granted, it's a personal speculation of the writer - is made up of 4 new MMO's.

If ArcheAge is going to be released in 2012 in the west as well, I expect it to be in that top 10 list too, very likely higher than TERA.

Personally I think TSW will end up higher than Rift, but we'll see.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

Originally posted by KyngBills

Exactly what makes LOTRO a "pay 2 win?" Because I have not paid a dime over my $10 a Month ever and I win just fine on 4 Level Capped Characters...I've yet to hear a single Kin Member complain about the F2P format...It's made the Game thrive...So do tell...What makes LOTRO "pay 2 win?" 

Some people consider all games that sells items with good stuff pay2win, others games that only let you get the best stuff by paying in real money.

His way do make some sense, you can pay to win or work really hard and win without paying. It is not as bad as many other games that offers no choice to paying but it still is far from perfect.

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

Originally posted by Loke666

It doesn't matter in the long run. Sooner or later will the game be so old that it wont attract new players and many of the players are mainly playing because all their friends are playing (just like many people listen to the music on the top lists because they are on the top lists).

Bill is possibly a bit too early, it might be that Wow wont be overtaken until 2013 or 2014 but it will happen, and not that far in the future. MMOs might last longer than regular games but Wow is already 7 years old and have been long players the last year, Blizzard have even admitted it themselves.

That doesn't mean that Wow is a bad game, it wouldn't have stayed on top that long if it was.

Agreed whatI think..the genre will divide into different games for different audiences again which is a really good thing. I do have a slightly hoping we will see more "niche" games again.

Hope this stupid Titan project wont be the next 800 pound behemoth.

Loke already mentioned why I think games such as Lotro are pay 2 win.

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Hmmk my prediction is that in 2013 i will be reading an article on this site titled "Guild Wars 2: What went wrong?" Imvho of course

• AthillianAthillian Member Posts: 104

2012 will be an awesome year for gamers =P

• divmaxdivmax Member Posts: 106

Originally posted by erictlewis

I am not sure why lotro is on that list.  Even with the xpac, that is being met with a lot of negative fealins over at the official lotro forums, they are done.

They will always have that follow that plays it for the lore of lotro, and not for game mechanics. Those who are tired of booring combat will move on.

While I agree with your conclusion about LOTRO's decline, I don't think that thats the problem with LOTRO. Because a lot of the lore people already got alienated years ago when Turbine started watering down the feature-set in order to attract a wider audience. So by now, the "lore" people you are referring to are either extreme die-hards or people who just like the sound of the game title being associated with Tolkien. ie. They are trying too hard to appeal to everybody and ending up only appealing to players who are so casual they don't really care what happens in the game as long as the splashscreen says LOTRO.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by Foomerang

Hmmk my prediction is that in 2013 i will be reading an article on this site titled "Guild Wars 2: What went wrong?" Imvho of course

I thought you were going to PAX/GamesCom to play SW:TOR and GW2 to form an opinion?

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

"One thing’s for sure.  2012 will be an interesting year."

If ArcheAge is going to be released in 2012 in the west as well, I expect it to be in that top 10 list too, very likely higher than TERA.

I am not sure, I hear warning bells about AE. There is always talk about an upcomming sandbox game from a little known studio every year, but so far have they never worked out.

Sure, AEs mix of sandbox and themepark features might work and really move the game up but I wouldn't put money on that.

My bet for next successful sandbox game is "World of darkness online" by CCP/White Wolf instead. They have a lot more experience, a popular IP and are a Western company. My second guess is Zenimax (Bethesda).

I might be wrong of course but far too many sandbox games by unknown devs have gotten hyped up here during the years and Eve is still the only constant on any list.

• JheregJhereg Member UncommonPosts: 55

I am not interested in GW2 for one simple fact.  I have read that they are going to charge you $60.00 for the game and then they are going to have a cash shop.  WTH, so you want to gouge more money out of us after we shelled out for the intial cost of the game.  Talk about Game capitalism at its worst.  No thanks, not me, you can keep it!