Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: The Real Top 10 MMOs of 2012

Comments

• WreckoniingWreckoniing Member UncommonPosts: 279

Originally posted by Lasterba

in my opinion games like RIft have success due to the over population of "silver platter" gamers, while TRUE MMOs like Vanguard teeter on the brink of shut down.

This list is a testament to the utter destruction of a once great genre.

/fixed

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

First WoW should not be in there sorry I can not buy your reason on this. If anything WoW will be drop a peg or two as the number one MMO. Also AOC, Aion, lotro, EVE and Rift are all maybes but come on these games had there say and seem to peek out if you mean because of so little choices for 2012 then yes I agree. Now for the top 3 I think it will go like this:

1 TOR - Why because This game has done what the movie has accomplished and that captured the imagination of gamers by the millions.

2 GW2 - Its hard to count this one out and that it is why it is second its biggest draw back is its to close to being like WoW that is the reason for the falling of Rift and AOC and lotro in 2012 fantasy games will slide in popularity mark my words.

3 SW - I think will hold its own for the first year just because but because of lack of skill etc it will not stay in the top 3 for long.

Tera I left out for a reason the verdict is still out on this one.

• BunnykingBunnyking Member UncommonPosts: 126

GW2 will be a disappointment. I'm just sayin'.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by Bunnyking

And you base this on what, exactly?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Originally posted by Alot

And you base this on what, exactly?

On my opinion of the game so far. :)

Oh and furthermore... If EA plays their cards right with promoting and distributing, TSW can be bigger than GW2.

• BadSpock2BadSpock2 Member Posts: 96

It's sad that shallow games like RIft have success due to the over population of "silver platter" gamers, while TRUE MMOs like Vanguard teeter on the brink of shut down.

This list is a testament to the utter destruction of a once great genre.

Oh you mean that game that released completely unplayble for most?

Doesn't matter how "good" it is now, if you release a game as garbage, forever will players associate it with garbage.

Rift released very successfully, as such, they are still successful.

It's simple really.

Oh and furthermore... If EA plays their cards right with promoting and distributing, TSW can be bigger than GW2.

The Secret World is Funcom...

Originally posted by BadSpock

Published and distributed by EA Partners.   ...

Ah very true. I guess I just found it odd EA would be distributing/publishing two major MMOs concurrently.

Apparently they (EA) want a bit of both sides of the coin as I imagine there won't be much similarity between TSW and TOR.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Ah very true. I guess I just found it odd EA would be distributing/publishing two major MMOs concurrently.

Apparently they (EA) want a bit of both sides of the coin as I imagine there won't be much similarity between TSW and TOR.

Seems so.

Although both games are pretty heavy story-driven and VO'd. The comparison pretty much stops there.

Tbh, I'm having a hard time deciding which of the 2 games I will be playing 'permanently'. I'll have around 5 months to try SWTOR and then TSW will be released... I'll have to make my mind up by then.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I am not sure why lotro is on that list.  Even with the xpac, that is being met with a lot of negative fealins over at the official lotro forums, they are done.

They will always have that follow that plays it for the lore of lotro, and not for game mechanics. Those who are tired of booring combat will move on.

• tswthoradintswthoradin Member Posts: 83

I don't get why everyone hate's rift so much. Rift has a LOT of people playing it, it's polished and bug free. It also has a whole lot of customization on your charecter. There are multiple ways to level, not just questing. All these people hate Rift for some reason and it makes no sense to me. If you don't like Rift well that's fine. But claiming it's horrible or a "silver platter" game makes no sense to me. The people who want to get to 50 easy will get there, but they won't be doing any of the high end raid's. And when GW2 or TOR comes out it won't be easy to hit max level?

They aren't going to make GW2 or TOR impossible to play because they want casual players in it. I have heard so much speculation over GW2 and TOR that I honestly would be shocked if they didn't cure cancer and solve world hunger when they are released. So many people are trashing what's out there based on what they expect these new games to be. I have heard the term WoW killer now at least three times a year for at least the last 8 years. If you want to play a game play it, if you don't like a game, well thats fine and dandy too, but comming on a message board bashing it because you didn't care for it is (well i can't think of a pc word here). 

Rift is a good game, everyone I know who plays it likes it, will it loose subs to the new games? Absolutely, but just because people shift to the new games doesn't mean Rift is a turd. And while i don't like WoW, it is a good game obviously or it wouldn't have made so much money, but I imagine it will loose money too. I do like this list. I think the author made some good predictions. 

Oh and for all the people complaining about vangaurd, I liked vanguard too, but blame SOE. They ruined that game, don't blame Rift for 'ruining the genre' when vanguard was failing at launch. Obviously if Vangaurd was what people wanted it would be in WoW's place now. The fact that is barely staying afloat say's more about what the market want's and where the market want's the genre's direction to be, then a few 'hardcore' players with a chip on their shoulder.

• TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999

imo games that aren't even out yet shouldn't get rated. so your top 2 are flawed imho.

imageimage

• TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999

mmk seems I slightly missread, this is a guestimate but still, don't put all ya eggs into one basket before they hatch, you might not get what you think.

imageimage

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Plus his avatar is a bunny with a crown on its head. Whatever arguments you might have had are invalid. The only way they could be more invalid would be if his avatar had a pancake on its head instead of a crown.

I don't know if I would have rated TSW as high as #4. Not because of Funcom or anything like that, but because they are targeting role players first. A lot of the game seems like it'll attract a fairly specific kind of person, but not your general gamers or just regular popular. Which is fine, really...probably good actually. It just limits the audience and potential size of the game. If games like AoC or Aion have a really good year (they're getting old enough to actually be a good experience) it could push TSW down the list a bit.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• ShivamShivam Member Posts: 465

It's sad that games like Rift make the list while TRUE MMORPGs such as Vanguard are ignored by people who think WoW was the first MMO ever made.

The market is flooded with press 1,2,3 > solo to max games like Rift....it really is a disgrace to the genre.

Vanguard is not on list so whose fault is that? it is very easy to blame players though. In my opinion Vanguard is a real disgrace and devs should take a lesson on how to not launch a MMO. Trion has set new standards on launch quality and releasing new content updates. But why are we even arguing? state of Vanguard speaks for itself.

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty -- Mahatma Gandhi

• SpallieroSpalliero Member Posts: 147

Sic Luceat Lux

• FilburFilbur Member UncommonPosts: 254

No Otherland? This could be one of the most unique and ambitious upcoming MMOs.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

I almost agreed with one of your top X lists for the first time, but i think that The Secret World is ranked way too high.

Though i doubt that they'll manage to top AOC in terms of failure (more features printed on the box than actually being ingame is hard to top anyway), Failcom will find many ways to fail again.

*Edit: where Rift will wobble after SWTOR and GW2 hit the scene remains to be seen. But with estimated 150-200k subs mid 2012 it won't rank above EvE for shure.

• Master_M2KMaster_M2K Member Posts: 244

I approve of this list. However with Rift, I think it should go below The Secret World, because in-game I've been in so many conversations with people saying how they can't wait for one of the big 3 (GW2, SW:TOR, TSW).

Also regarding SW:TOR and GW2. The reason I agree with their positions on the list is because there is no doubt that SW:TOR will be hugely popular in the US and Europe. It will likely do better than GW2 in at least one of those continents. However GW2 will have something SW:TOR won't have... an Asian market, alongside the US and Europe. I say this because GW2 is aiming to be a highly competitive, highly skill-based, e-sport and it is no secret that a lot of Western games that have that sort of format appeal to the Asian market (Starcraft, Diablo & Dota-styled games).

So if NCSoft heavily markets GW2 to the east (focusing on the PvP) and NCSoft West markets it well over here, then we could get a highly successful game that will at least trump SW:TOR.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Originally posted by Spalliero

The only real big hole in the article is that GW2 won't be out this year.

Probably a good thing he's talking 2012 then, eh?

Oderint, dum metuant.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by Chilliesauce

Originally posted by just1opinion

If we see in terms of sheer popularity i would still keep WOW on top. It will always be the most talked about and most popular MMO.

This will only remain true if no other company spends the prime time advertising dollars that Blizzard spent and spends.  Now....that is possible, since they spent multiple fortunes on advertising, BUT.....as soon as another GOOD game spends that kind of advertising money.....it will be talked about just as much as WoW is now, if not as much as it used to be.

That is a big 'IF' that is why i said that in terms of sheer popularity WOW will always be number one.

Everything has an expiry date.  I'm skeptical that WoW's will be next year, but it is on the decline.  If the upcoming big titles perform as they look like they will, WoW will still be number one, but no longer the dominating force that it is.  An it looks like there are other developers out there who are showing their own unique visions for a change, so they will also bring pressure to bear.

Nothing lasts forever.

• ChilliesauceChilliesauce Member Posts: 559

Originally posted by Unlight

Originally posted by just1opinion

If we see in terms of sheer popularity i would still keep WOW on top. It will always be the most talked about and most popular MMO.

This will only remain true if no other company spends the prime time advertising dollars that Blizzard spent and spends.  Now....that is possible, since they spent multiple fortunes on advertising, BUT.....as soon as another GOOD game spends that kind of advertising money.....it will be talked about just as much as WoW is now, if not as much as it used to be.

That is a big 'IF' that is why i said that in terms of sheer popularity WOW will always be number one.

Everything has an expiry date.  I'm skeptical that WoW's will be next year, but it is on the decline.  If the upcoming big titles perform as they look like they will, WoW will still be number one, but no longer the dominating force that it is.  An it looks like there are other developers out there who are showing their own unique visions for a change, so they will also bring pressure to bear.

Nothing lasts forever.

Nothing lasts forever but we are talking about 2012 ;) and i really doubt WOW's popularity will be on decilne any soon.