Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: Counting on Success

Comments

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Warcraft released with close to 40 zones which translated into about 3 to 4 different paths to quest along. Along with 16 dungeons. Rift has what? 1/2 of that? All there is to do in Rift is endgame. That's it. If all you care about is endgame and you like the way rift looks or feels, more power to you, but to me there was no point in playing a game with what amounts to around 1/4th the content wow currently has and no real major advancements beyond that except for rifts .. which get rather boring rather fast.

What really did it for me was the cancellation of 10 man raids after pre-orders. That was such BS. And again with zero motivation to role other characters and only 4 classes to choose from the game is just too limited in what it offers me personally.

And Rift did no invent the wardrobe feature people, wake up already.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Originally posted by azmundai

All there is to do in Rift is endgame. That's it. 

If thats all you care about in an MMO, then sure, but thats the last thing on my mind.  I played for 2 months, several hours every day and only got as far as about 3/4 through Scarlet Gorge, before RL made me quit for a time.  {I am planning to return soon}

I'd much rather prefer seeking out and completing every quest, talking to all the NPCs multiple times as I progress to see if they say someting different after certain milestone, reading books, exploring every inch of the maps, doing the collections {and not just buying them off the AH, but rather staying in a zone and seeking them out until they're all complete before moving on}  attempting to complete all the achievements possible at that time, harvesting and keeping my crafting on par with my level to help enhance my gear...etc etc etc

And I also don't mind helping others whenever they ask in global or whenever I pass by another struggling.  There are also rifts and invasions happening quite often, and saving up planarite for certain purchases, as well as PvP on occasion!

All of this can keep a player extremely busy for weeks/months on end, with end-game a distant sparkle on the horizon...

• LanfeaLanfea Member UncommonPosts: 223

mysterious investors? just use google search and you will find them very fast or just have a look on the trion worlds company side.

you want numbers, well, thats quite hard, granted, but it took me a phone call to my bank, 2 hours of waiting and a return call from my bank to get this quote: over 1 million sold copies and currently over 200,000 subscribers.

you want to know more about the history of trion worlds and his founder lars butler. again use google search and take your time to listen to some of his guest lectures in universities on f.e. youtube.

• carebear77carebear77 Member Posts: 86

Trion has forever changed MMO's for the better. Now you either have to deliver content like them or be left in the dark. They have lifted the standard. And i for one will happily return to Rift once i have played tor and gw2 a bit, because i think they simply wont be able to compete with trion's incredible deliviry schedule. Think TOR will be epic fail anyway.

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

Originally posted by ghettobooste

Originally posted by Lasterba

I am not one to talk smack, really. I still play vanguard lol. Suffice it to say, I leveled my rogue in rift to 50 in two weeks nearly 100% solo... I also have several server firsts in crafting. So....I maxed crafting and my character level in less than one sub cycle... In my opinion that is proof enough to say that Rift is not a "long haul" game.

So you intentionally soloed the whole game without attempting any of the group content and that makes you an expert on this topic how?

The end game that Trion has in place is better than any other game out there right now and the updates they are doing are happening faster than any other game out there right now.

100% Opinion

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

Sometimes, when I see all that Trion have done I'm sorry I didn't enjoy Rift more back when I tested it, if I had I'd be happily playing away safe in the hands of the most responsive dev team out there.

But that's moot, since I didn't enjoy it enough to buy the game in the first place. However, that'll never take away from what Trion did in terms of polish at launch, and have done since with content delivery for their players. I don't know or care how successful Rift is, as long as they are engaging the people who are playing, it's good for all of us. Trion are one to watch, and probably always will be.

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

I played through beta and for the first month after launch then left not because the game was bad but because I burned out. It's taken 5 months for me to go back and check what’s changed and as soon as I logged in last week its evident it's improved massively since launch and there seems like lots more to do.

The only bad change I've found so far is that the server I'm on was dead, it was one of the newer servers so it's not entirely unexpected having a lower population to start off with. Reading the forums it seems since the free character transfers went live people moved about a lot and there are still lots of very well populated servers.

I think the Trion team should be commended really for having a very good handle on updates as well as what they have done so far to the game. Without question RiFT has had the best launch of 2011 so far and continues to have the most community engaged dev team in the industry.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Imo, it is a big success. Only game after Wow I can immagine to play for years. Saying this ... I never pvp and have not started end game. So can not comment on this. Still working on 2 alts to get to 50 to have full set of 4. In wow have 10, but there you must choose at start ... in Rift this 4 classes compensate for nearly all options various classes offer in Wow.

Start was miracle in sense virtually bug free. For change also devs actually LISTEN to playerbase as noted by OP. Many nice changes implemented very fast. Would take eternity in other games.

Graphics are nicier and good then any other game I have played. And very realistic. Everything set on max I can play without any lag ... like in wow, that has cartoony (I love it, make no mistake) graphics that are not even close so hungry for power like Rift's. In many other games I can not play so fluidly not even setting all to half. And do not have bad computer.

Also when I logged after 1 month (vacation, work, ...) and found my 2 servers were transformed to "test" servers ... at start I was pretty upset ... but not being in any guild it took me few SECONDS to transfer to new server. SECONDS?? in other games can take up to day or at least hours ... they make big stories how hard is to do this and why you must pay for transfer. Bah.

In any possible sense Rift rocks. And I'm addicted to first game after wow.

Game can be soloed I guess 99% of time as for quests goes. Love this. Not social? Nope. Get guild? Useless idea. Guild in ANY game works only if guildmates are also REAL life friends. If not usually you can forget about.

Wow clone? Another stupid statement. They have however adopted best from other mmos. What could one want more? And there are many original ideas inside, espec core soul sistem. There are only 4 main "classes", but rogue can be kind'a hunter, classic rogue as in wow, can even tank, buff/debuff and even so-so heal as bard role, .... same goes for rest. This 4 cover all game needs. Minus is i will not spend so much time in game leveling all my alts as in wow. Now doing for the 4th time same quests and find them still fun and entertraining.

So far all I need for fun from part of my free time are duo Wow & Rift. If I add more, like Swotor ... I will be happy ... otherwise will be still happy.

• SyrusSyiSyrusSyi Member Posts: 366

Imo i think rift is a great and sucessful game 

Playing: Single player games |

Awaiting: Wild Star |Blade & Soul | The Repopulation | The Elder Scrolls online | ArcheAge | Firefall | Survarium | Bless | Black Desert |

Played: Guild Wars | Diablo 3 |The War Z | Runescape |World of Warcraft |Combat Arms |Perfect World | Rift | Fiesta | DC universe online | Aion | Age of Conan |Allods | Vindictus | The Secret World | Forge | Battle of the Immortals | Global Agenda| Cabal Online | Tera |

• codywowenscodywowens Member CommonPosts: 9

Originally posted by Lanfea

mysterious investors? just use google search and you will find them very fast or just have a look on the trion worlds company side.

you want numbers, well, thats quite hard, granted, but it took me a phone call to my bank, 2 hours of waiting and a return call from my bank to get this quote: over 1 million sold copies and currently over 200,000 subscribers.

you want to know more about the history of trion worlds and his founder lars butler. again use google search and take your time to listen to some of his guest lectures in universities on f.e. youtube.

Didn't know your bank has the details on a private companies financial data.

Seriously, your spouting nonsense, just stop.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

200 k sub?ya i can believe that!

• ChilliesauceChilliesauce Member Posts: 559

GW2 fans did it again. Turned a good topic of discussion about RIFT into Rift VS GW1/GW2. Bravo. Now off to another forum and rinse and repeat.

• cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

Originally posted by Chilliesauce

GW2 fans did it again. Turned a good topic of discussion about RIFT into Rift VS GW1/GW2. Bravo. Now off to another forum and rinse and repeat.

I can't tell if your post is being ironic or not given your GW2 sig.

I'm a GW2 fan and I personally do not go into the forums of other games and bash them.  I'm sorry that other people do that.

This thread has been warned against turning it into Rift vs GW1/2, but the article we're commenting on specifically mentions the possibility that people might leave Rift for GW2 or SWTOR when they launch.  It's completely relevant to the discussion.  People who mention GW2 in the context of how it will affect Rift should not be attacked for doing so.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

I don't know how many active subs Trion has.

All i know is that the two servers I play on Freeholme pvp & Silkweb pve  are packed to the point of me wishing they would transfer off my shards.

Yesterday i decided to give my lowbie warrior a spin and in scarelt gorge a level 25+ zone we have well over a hundred players participating in the zone invasion.

I can't speak for every shard but my shards are packed.

THis is only my opinion but from what i've encountered first hand, it looks like more people are joining the game. Its a completely different atmosphere than what we had in WAR where by this time we were all forced onto a handful of shards and every mid level zone was empty.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Trion has done a superb job with their first MMO offering a polished release unlike I've seen in years as well as new content added at an unmatched pace. With addon support coming up soon as well as plans for endgame content alternatives for those that don't want to grind dungeons, raids, or be steamrolled for 7 ranks just to gear up my guess is Rift will last for some time. How well they do will depend entirely on how they implement the alternative endgame content.

That being said, regardless of what they release it's too little too late for me as I'm really not interested in another chase the gear game. Perhaps if the gear gap was far, far smaller and more aesthetic/fluff content were added I'd be twmpted but TW has already chosen to gate their raid content by large gear gaps rather than keying and other mechanisms so that will never happen.

• leaf16nutleaf16nut Member UncommonPosts: 39

I'm not one to pay a monthly fee for a game, and Rift isn't going to change that...

Started my 7 day trial yesterday and it's alredy deleted off my computer. Stale quest based leveling, senseless and seemingly pointless story, cluttered interface, boring combat; well that pertty much sums it up.

I really don't see the enjoyment in games nowadays. All you do is quest, and strive to be top level... its a superficial experience, you get brought in by the eye candy but it fails to deliver.

Originally posted by cali59

I'm a GW2 fan and I personally do not go into the forums of other games and bash them.  I'm sorry that other people do that.

This thread has been warned against turning it into Rift vs GW1/2, but the article we're commenting on specifically mentions the possibility that people might leave Rift for GW2 or SWTOR when they launch.  It's completely relevant to the discussion.  People who mention GW2 in the context of how it will affect Rift should not be attacked for doing so.

And what has my signature got anythign to do with it? please do not confuse me with a GW2 fanatic who turns every topic into x games vs GW2. If the discussion was really in line and relevant to the original post. {mod edit}

• cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

Originally posted by cali59

And what has my signature got anythign to do with it? please do not confuse me with a GW2 fanatic who turns every topic into x games vs GW2. If the discussion was really in line and relevant to the original post.{mod edit}

I couldn't tell if you were numbering yourself among GW2 fans when you posted it.  It could either come across as "GW2 fans ruined a thread, bravo (sarcastic)" or "we ruined a thread, bravo (sincere)."  Given your response it was clearly the former, but you can't always tell tone on the internet.

I've pointed out that mentioning GW2 in the context of Rift's future success is relevant, and the fact that there are posts which do that which have not been deleted (my original one included) is evidence of that fact.  I am in no way trying to escalate or reintroduce yesterday's conflict, but I have to point out that it doesn't have to be a game basher or a troll that instigates things, it could also be an overzealous game defender.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

Originally posted by leaf16nut

I'm not one to pay a monthly fee for a game, and Rift isn't going to change that...

Started my 7 day trial yesterday and it's alredy deleted off my computer. Stale quest based leveling, senseless and seemingly pointless story, cluttered interface, boring combat; well that pertty much sums it up.

I really don't see the enjoyment in games nowadays. All you do is quest, and strive to be top level... its a superficial experience, you get brought in by the eye candy but it fails to deliver.

Well...this is kinda the thing within 6 months you may well be able to play most of the game as F2P. I actually think that Rift works better in F2P market long-term as it isn't a bad game, and could quite nicely make money by cash shop and cash pay for premium game content model. WoW will do that in next couple of years, so *shrug* why not get in their first. 

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Originally posted by Lasterba

Flash in the pan. No one will be talking about this game in a year. It will still be running...but no one will care.

Maybe in someone dreams, but if we go in real world ... Rift will be for years second only to Wow, which will stay on 1st place for long. Have high hopes also for swotor.

• BeachcomberBeachcomber Member Posts: 535

Nice story, enjoy your f2p fare with its wondrous content and updates.

Originally posted by Illyssia

Well...this is kinda the thing within 6 months you may well be able to play most of the game as F2P. I actually think that Rift works better in F2P market long-term as it isn't a bad game, and could quite nicely make money by cash shop and cash pay for premium game content model. WoW will do that in next couple of years, so *shrug* why not get in their first. 

WOW will do it? not maybe but will? you really sound very sure of yourself. But then again when have you provided any backup for your silly claims? 

Originally posted by Synjyn
    Been playing a couple of months, 2 level 50's in T2. Bored now.I just wish they hadn't gone down the damn instanced pvp route - it is so tedious, repetitve and pointless - I hated it about WoW and I hate it here. PVE is good but PVP is not.
    are you saying world rift pvp is gone for good?
  • zevenzeven Member Posts: 9

"Moreover, those who generally shout the loudest about the imminent doom of Rift are those who do not actually play."

I wouldn't be so sure about that if I were you. There are lots of wow fanboi's who play Rift and who will not cease their endless ranting about how much it sucks compared to wow. It's rather ironic really, Rift haters doing most of thier hating while playing the game that they claim to hate so much. Makes you wonder if they really hate it that much or if they do it just for show, and some of them can shout pretty loud too. Sometimes it gets so bad that you have to block some of them just to keep the chat box from filling up with anti-Rift-spam and pro-wow-spam.

All I'm trying to say here is that some of the people who shout the loudest about Rift's doom are actually playing it more than you think they are.

Granted, this mostly comes from trial accounts and ends as soon as you enter a lvl 15 and higher zone, but it is still there, and they ARE playing the game, even if they are using free trial accounts.

I would also like to point out that no matter what any of you think about WoW, it is old. It doesn't matter how long the dev team tries to keep the game relevant, sooner or later it is going to be crushed by it's own age. Which is pretty much why Blizz is working on that thing called "Project Titan", whatever it turns out to be, it will be better than wow, simply because that is Blizzard's goal for the project.

i got to agree with previous poster,silverwood is the barren chat of rift,so if you recall wow barren chat you know you cant take anything said in there at face value lol.