Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Allods Online: Our Official Review - Traveling in Astral Space

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In our latest review here at MMORPG.com, Cat Mo takes a look at Allods Online. Allods was one of those games a couple years ago that was so filled with potential that people took notice. See how Allods Online fares with Cat Mo and then let us know of your experiences in game in the comments.

What really seems to help with Allods is that there isn’t a vending system like other F2P games have, so there isn’t an area that is overcrowded by players who are just sitting around AFK trying to sell items. Instead there is just an auction house for trading among players. There is some music in the game, but there can be long periods of time where there isn’t any. In some towns the music gets very tedious after awhile, and often I found it better just to turn it off completely. Still, the visuals are beautifully rendered and not too taxing on the system.

Read more of CatMo's Allods Online: Traveling Astral Space - The Official Review.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666

"The fact that there is no auto-routing in a F2P game (which is my preferred style of MMO-gaming) I found easy to cope with, but the difficulty in finding NPCs was frustrating at times."

OH NOESSS THE HORROR. Really? Auto-routing.. finding NPCs? Well, I don't want to play those 'MMORPGs' with you, damn.

This game was pretty awesome in beta, BEFORE they released their cash shop. Stupid move.

• lectrocudalectrocuda Member Posts: 604

is it fun?

To the caterpillar it is the end of the world, to the master, it is a butterfly.

• HolgranthHolgranth Member Posts: 380

Technically the cash shop has been open for years now so in my books this game has been released for quite a while.

Dem hibbies! Dey be wrong!

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

oh God its another "games shouldn't have cash shops" post give me a break 

hey folks, the industry is changing because the economy is. get over it and move on everyone else has.

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

I hate auto-routing. Do you want the game to play itself for you too? LOL. How lazy can you get?

• GreenzorGreenzor Member Posts: 165

"Very little grinding" ? At higher levels the game is a grindfest.

Also, I agree with its longevity rating. Competitive players would realize soon that PvE content is easier the more you pay (runes, elixirs, stats, rubies, etc.) and competitive PvP players may be demoralized by the power-gasp between paying-tiers population.

• utterbaverutterbaver Member UncommonPosts: 51

I can not agree more with causs, i played this in beta, me and a few friends....

• MynscMynsc Member UncommonPosts: 49

Not-having auto-rooting actually sounds like an awesome feature to me. I gave it a try in beta and while I did find it quite interesting, I had bigger fish to fry back then (WoW :P ). Now that I'm free and waiting for GW2 / D3 to come out... I'll probably give it another chance.

http://titanfocus.info - news, predictions and place for discussions about Blizzard's upcoming next-gen MMO.

• RndmWiseGuyRndmWiseGuy Member Posts: 2

Its not that it shouldn't have shops its that they have put some items that made game P2W

• redcap036redcap036 Member UncommonPosts: 1,230

Ok first off this review is not about astral travelling, it’s about the low end starting levels of the game at least the levels under level ten and therefore the title is very miss leading as I was hoping it would actually talk about Astral travelling and players owning and crewing their own astral ships, which comes in at a much higher level of play in the game or so I hear, instead we get to read about the reviewer’s personal taste and what they would prefer in an mmorpg, namely auto routing, How about some info on what this review was supposed to be about, you know astral travelling by player crews, or am I just being a wee bit picky?

• OsirrusOsirrus Member Posts: 55

Originally posted by redcap036

Ok first off this review is not about astral travelling, it’s about the low end starting levels of the game at least the levels under level ten and therefore the title is very miss leading as I was hoping it would actually talk about Astral travelling and players owning and crewing their own astral ships, which comes in at a much higher level of play in the game or so I hear, instead we get to read about the reviewer’s personal taste and what they would prefer in an mmorpg, namely auto routing, How about some info on what this review was supposed to be about, you know astral travelling by player crews, or am I just being a wee bit picky?

i agree

the title traveling in astral space. is what drew me into reading the rest of the article.

but only thing mentioned was the ability to build and pvp with your own ship at higher levels.

is this a game review or a personal opinion piece? because it came across as the latter, but you titled it the offical review.... strange

how about telling us what end game consists of etc.?

• micaelmoraismicaelmorais Member Posts: 88

I played this game but i never got caps just because the game is a grindfest game, and get boring very quick, doing the same things all days  and dont forget you need 2 months just to get the 3 final lvls, that was the main reason i stoped playing this crap........

if you  need a job i think allods can be your job..GOOD LUCK

• azuredinazuredin Member UncommonPosts: 35

This game was really fun till you hit the low 20's....then you are forced to go to the PvP area to continue leveling...unfortunately, at that point it turns into the usual griefer gankfest where lvl 50's are hanging around making it very difficult to do anything.  I gave up on it after a week of not being able to level.

But again, really a lot of fun till you hit that low 20's level!!!!

• GreenzorGreenzor Member Posts: 165

The end game consist on buying stuff in their shop.

There's no pvp in your ship. I don't know if it's actually possible but I do know that it's meaningless. Also, this game has no pvp in general because of it's unbalance between CS spenders, there's no limit on the amount of cash you can expend empowering your character.

• angus858angus858 Member UncommonPosts: 381

I'm reading conflicting information here.  Maybe someone can set it straight for me.  The reviewer says there is a pvp switch (Flag of War) which can be turned on and off which implies that pvp is optional. Later someone said pvp is "forced" after you hit the low 20's.   Are players forced to play with pvp "on" after a certain level?

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

...did the reviewer seriously complain about no auto routing? WHAT??

who do they get to review these things?? good lord...

• travamarstravamars Member CommonPosts: 417

Originally posted by angus858

I'm reading conflicting information here.  Maybe someone can set it straight for me.  The reviewer says there is a pvp switch (Flag of War) which can be turned on and off which implies that pvp is optional. Later someone said pvp is "forced" after you hit the low 20's.   Are players forced to play with pvp "on" after a certain level?

Once you hit around mid twentys the area where your quest are is a pvp area. And you are able to be attacked. You could be lvl 20 and get killed by a lvl 50 thats hanging around your quest area. You lvl quicker if you turn your flag on btw.

If you dont plan on spending alot of money...forget about it. It's hard to find a goup or guild that would want you if you dont come fully loaded. It's the biggest p2w game i've played which is dissapointing because it does seem like a great game til you realize you have to get your wallet out or quit. And dont believe the people that say everything can be bought at AH. It can but you'd find it hard to find enough time in a day to grind that much.

Do they still have the "fatigue" crap in the game? Thats an entire differant rant.

• kingotnwkingotnw Member UncommonPosts: 103

So can someone give some sort of actual review of this game? It "sounds" like it could be cool for F2P, but I would really like to know SOMETHING about the game before downloading it. This is one of the worst reviews I have ever read!

• Nhoj1983Nhoj1983 Member UncommonPosts: 185

From my point of view not a bad review... but it does need a bit more editing and I can't help but wish they'd add a couple sub sections under gameplay purely for pvp and pve. 

• huskerman34huskerman34 Member UncommonPosts: 252

Originally posted by causs

"The fact that there is no auto-routing in a F2P game (which is my preferred style of MMO-gaming) I found easy to cope with, but the difficulty in finding NPCs was frustrating at times."

OH NOESSS THE HORROR. Really? Auto-routing.. finding NPCs? Well, I don't want to play those 'MMORPGs' with you, damn.

This game was pretty awesome in beta, BEFORE they released their cash shop. Stupid move.

dude you dont know what the hell your talking about so......... 

Edgar F Greenwood

• TbagginzTbagginz Member Posts: 15

I played the game till lvl 40 than leveling started to really be a hassle + It is a P2W game..Talking more than a monthly sub. Dont waste your time ! Let the game die and maybe a less greedier company will run it.

• galliard1981galliard1981 Member Posts: 256

Originally posted by azuredin

This game was really fun till you hit the low 20's....then you are forced to go to the PvP area to continue leveling...unfortunately, at that point it turns into the usual griefer gankfest where lvl 50's are hanging around making it very difficult to do anything.  I gave up on it after a week of not being able to level.

But again, really a lot of fun till you hit that low 20's level!!!!

same to me, i quit at lvl25 or so. i m pvper type but being forced to go pvp while i am lvl25 against lvl 40+ turned me down.

and shame for the author of the article. its the type of player who likes the game play itself on autopilot. where the hell is your need of adventure sister?

Playing: Rohan
    Played (from best to worst): Shadowbane, Guild Wars, Shayia, Age of Conan, Warhammer, Runes of Magic, Rappelz, Archlord, Knight online, King of Kings, Kal online, Last chaos

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

I lost all my interest in game when I have seen that odious word "gpotato" in www. This reminded me immediately to disgusting Rappelz experience. Ok, graphics were actually nice and realistic ... but game holding lag world record ... and without gpotatoes you could not actually enjoy a lot game, you needed them also for quest hubs, for hp recovery, .... etc etc actually for everything that could make possibly game fun. And at the end of month have counted that I have spent more money for putrid potatoes then would for some great game and monthly feee. I guess my hate toward f2p started with Rappelz. Oh, forgot ... AFTER I have stopped to buy from my MC I had to get new Master Card ... because my money was still being substracted from company and they did not respond to my inquiry.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Originally posted by huskerman34

Originally posted by causs

dude you dont know what the hell your talking about so......... 

Ah, he does and you don't.  Cash shop for the win here.  Pvp outcome fully depends on who spends the most in the cash shop.  Why anyone would waste money on such a scenario is beyond me....

• kamuiguikamuigui Member UncommonPosts: 16

Sorry guys, but all of you, including MMORPG.com, forget to mention something on the "Cons":

- IF U HAVE LV 20, AND U ARE ATTACKED BY A LV21 MONSTER< THERE IS 90% CHANCE THAT U WILL DIE!

IN ALLODS U DIE TO MOBS THAT HAVE ONE OR TWO LV MORE THAN YOU, AND IT IS WORSE, YOU DIE FOR NORMAL MONTERS! U DIE FOR NORMAL MOBS! STREET MOBS!!! AH WTF!