Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: The Top 10 MMOs of 2012 - Revisited

124»

Comments

• djvapiddjvapid Member Posts: 80

I'm confused, if some of these games on  your list are awful, why the fuck are the on they list?  APB?  I mean, really?  You're out of your mind.  /End thread.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

hmm top 10 predictions for 2012

I can see ToR taking big chunks out of WoW while Rift takes little nibbles out of WoW. But WoW is fat enough it can afford to shed 6 million pounds and still be able to roll around and squash everyone.

The Secret World Im giving the Dark Horse award to. It just might sneak up and surprise everyone. No classes, great lore, 3 factions, modern setting, amazing graphics. If it launches clean out the gate, it could be a major contender for years to come.

Guild Wars 2 is a mystery still but they have the least to lose since they arent worrying about retaining a subscription base. I think it could go either way with GW2. There will be the diehard Anet fans that will gobble up anything they put in front of them. There will be the people sick of quests who may or may not be pleased with dynamic events. There are people looking at GW2 as their action mmo but from the looks of it, Tera and Blade n Soul are far better action mmo choices. So whats left? Amazing lore, great graphics, the promise of amazing pvp. That can be enough to sell a few million boxes which is all they need to be considered a success.

Archeage is a tough one too. It is trying to balance themepark and sandbox elements while trying to appease pve sandboxers and ffa sandboxers. A slippery slope. Especially considering the game is being beta tested in Korea for a western market. I hope it works out, but im nervous they are spreading themselves too thin and flying blind at times.

AoC, STO, FFXIV, Aion, EvE, FE, DCUO, DF, will all have small but loyal subscribers. I can see Rift joining them. They will be fine as long as they stay true to their player base and dont cock things up trying to drum up more business with insulting gimmicks.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by djvapid

I'm confused, if some of these games on  your list are awful, why the fuck are the on they list?  APB?  I mean, really?  You're out of your mind.  /End thread.

Try reading the whole article. The REVISITED part in particular.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by Happyguy83

Player Base wise:

1.ToR at least in the west. People are getting bored of WoW and seeing how ToR is doing some new things unlike WAR RIFT AION ect ect, I think it will stick. 1-2 Million players in by the end of 2012.

2. WoW in the west, For at least another year or two if TOR ends up getting around a million subs I think it will cause a ripple effect in the WoW player base as WoW did when it came out. 1-2 million in the west by the end of 2012

3 eventually 2.GW2, Anet said they would be coming out (or rather I heard it on this forum) an x-pac every six months, I think this is a bad thing to do when trying to retain players. If the first one is any indicator we'll see no real drop off with player bases from other MMOs. .5-1.5 million ACTIVE players by the end of 2012.

456789: does it really matter?

Fact is people (including myself) are leaving WoW and going to play a new MMO and seeing how TOR is right there on the horizon I think it has a better chance then GW2 does when becoming the next top dog in the west.

You are saying you think ToR will have 1-2 million western players.  This is possible if the game is well done.  But I just dont see WoW dropping over half its western playerbase to meet that number.  Unless the expansion next summer sucks.

This will be the first expansion developed during a period of decline instead of growth.  i dont think blizzard is dumb enough to do status quo.  I guess well get more info at Blizzcon.

Oh and for those that question a WoW expansion next summer, there was a (leaked?) list of blizzard releases, which I believe is where Titan's name came from.  So far every single one has been spot on.  It says WoW xpac 4 q2 2012.  And both Titan and WoW xpac 5 q4 2013

• luro16luro16 Member Posts: 86

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

About GW2, you can't live up to that hype... afterall, its still an MMO and not a holy grail.

Nevertheless, it will be the best MMO released since 2004... without any doubt.

It's nowhere near as hyped on any major gaming site.

Just because MMORPG is hyping it, doesn't mean anyone else is.  We get daily updates here, but every other site runs weekly stories on TOR and doesn't mention GW2.

If you insulate this site, it's huge, if you look anywhere else, a lot of people don't even know it is coming out.

• stevengwstevengw Member Posts: 53

please stop votong for games that arnt even released. Geez FFS! Goto amazon bestsellers, all the games listed arnt even released..people are mad, now the developers just release crap unready games cause idiots are prepared to pre-order, pre empt and accept useless rubbish!

• stevengwstevengw Member Posts: 53

Star Trek online should not even be in the top 100, game quality has taken a nose dive like the stock markets.

• felbladexfelbladex Member Posts: 34

Originally posted by teakbois

Player Base wise:

1.ToR at least in the west. People are getting bored of WoW and seeing how ToR is doing some new things unlike WAR RIFT AION ect ect, I think it will stick. 1-2 Million players in by the end of 2012.

2. WoW in the west, For at least another year or two if TOR ends up getting around a million subs I think it will cause a ripple effect in the WoW player base as WoW did when it came out. 1-2 million in the west by the end of 2012

3 eventually 2.GW2, Anet said they would be coming out (or rather I heard it on this forum) an x-pac every six months, I think this is a bad thing to do when trying to retain players. If the first one is any indicator we'll see no real drop off with player bases from other MMOs. .5-1.5 million ACTIVE players by the end of 2012.

Fact is people (including myself) are leaving WoW and going to play a new MMO and seeing how TOR is right there on the horizon I think it has a better chance then GW2 does when becoming the next top dog in the west.

You are saying you think ToR will have 1-2 million western players.  This is possible if the game is well done.  But I just dont see WoW dropping over half its western playerbase to meet that number.  Unless the expansion next summer sucks.

This will be the first expansion developed during a period of decline instead of growth.  i dont think blizzard is dumb enough to do status quo.  I guess well get more info at Blizzcon.

Oh and for those that question a WoW expansion next summer, there was a (leaked?) list of blizzard releases, which I believe is where Titan's name came from.  So far every single one has been spot on.  It says WoW xpac 4 q2 2012.  And both Titan and WoW xpac 5 q4 2013

First: Because a person has a game subscription with one game, doesn't mean another game has to lose one. I personally have multiple games going at once and play them all, max out, raid, etc.

Second: WoW has lost over 900 thousand members in the last two quarters alone. That's almost a million and that already covers your low end. They tried to claim it was because of a gap in content, but they still lost members even after their content releases. It's not as unlikely as you may think.

The inability to lighten up doesn't make you hardcore.

Originally posted by felbladex

Player Base wise:

First: Because a person has a game subscription with one game, doesn't mean another game has to lose one. I personally have multiple games going at once and play them all, max out, raid, etc.

Second: WoW has lost over 900 thousand members in the last two quarters alone. That's almost a million and that already covers your low end. They tried to claim it was because of a gap in content, but they still lost members even after their content releases. It's not as unlikely as you may think.

I was talking western subs, which are somewhere in the 5 million neighbourhood as opposed to the full 12 million.

And as shocking as that 900k seems, its still only 7%.  So they lose 7% off a poorly received expansion.   I bet there are *very* few MMORPGs that havent seen a 7% dip this year.  Rift certainly lost a lot more than 7% after its first month.  Lotro, eq2, eq1, aion, etc...all those games are trending down in subs.  EvE was the one game always rising but Im not sure if thats still the case.  Oh, and AoC is actually supposedly growing is only slightly.

So basically WoW is just losing subs at a fairly normal rate.  Its just notable because its the first time its happened and the numbers are so big because the player base is so big.

Also, the 2nd quarter numbers do not cover their content releases.  While 4.1 happened in the 2nd quarter, it was late into it so its impact would show more in q3 anyway.  4.2 was in q3.

• CognitoCognito Member Posts: 198
    Haha it always ends up in a WOW argument...

Put through the personal paces of my crippled fingers.

Originally posted by Cognito

Haha it always ends up in a WOW argument...

Well its kind of appropriate here at least.

I just think its kind of funny how people think a 7.5% drop in subs is the end of the world.  

It looks like its actually a good thing as blizzard seems to realize change would be a good thing.  With deathwing raid out soon it seems like they are wisely getting Cataclysm behind them and moving on.  And also tackling long standing player wants (appearance gear).

• bdewbdew Member UncommonPosts: 192

I just think its kind of funny how people think a 7.5% drop in subs is the end of the world. 

TBH if my company lost 7.5% of it's paying customers... the upper management would be out for blood.

But i'm feeling that Blizzard will handle it well and will come out better at the end. It's a wakeup call to their management that something went wrong at the core and needs to be changed. If they manage to fix the problems with cataclysm without messing up the good things about it i think they can easily recover what they lost and get even more players.

• PaybackXeroPaybackXero Member Posts: 33

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

About GW2, you can't live up to that hype... afterall, its still an MMO and not a holy grail.

Nevertheless, it will be the best MMO released since 2004... without any doubt.

No. Just no. It will, however, probably be the best game launched that week. Which is still something.

• flyforshineflyforshine Member Posts: 18

Whahahaha wow number 1?

Wow did lose 900k player over the past 6 months, it's dying, I gained a big rofl when I saw wow on number 1.

• saya1965saya1965 Member Posts: 46

Originally posted by arbacus

1. wow

2. tor

3. tera

4. gw2

5. eve

6. secret world

7. archage

8. aion

9. eq2

10. aoc

I agree with this list.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

FF14 ahead of Rift ahahahahahaahahahahahahahaahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahah

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Originally posted by flyforshine

Whahahaha wow number 1?

Wow did lose 900k player over the past 6 months, it's dying, I gained a big rofl when I saw wow on number 1.

When 2012 hits it will be number 1.  It'll have the most subs of any other game out there.  And it may very well for years to come.  So why are you laughing?  Its completely valid. 

And no Im not a WoW fanboy.  I havent played for years. 

• darlok6666darlok6666 Member Posts: 211

I'm suprised The Secret World isn't on there.  A completely different setting along with some intresting mechanics like puzzles or riddles.  And lol at World of Darkness, a game with zero info on besides a title.

1-3 I'd say WoW, ToR, and GW2 and not in that order.  All it's gonna be is a GW2 vs ToR flame thread of who is #1 besides WoW.

3-6 I would say The Secret World, Terra or ArchAge, Rift which Rift might plummet with ToR and GW2

However one game that no one talks about which I think might quite possible be a top 6-10 category is Neverwinter due end of 2012.  I think this is the true sleeper.  With Atari losing their D&D digital licensing many are hoping a new golden age of D&D digital franchise which Atari has thuroughly butchered.  Curse it's being sold as it's not an MMO but people call DDO an MMO which both have the exact same lvl of social setting, only real difference is Neverwinter will not have large group raid encounters but instead what you get in a DM session of 4-6 size parties.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Funcom's been oddly low key about TSW.  Makes me wonder if they're planning a last minute hype surge, rather than a long dragged out hype campaign like most seem to be doing these days.  After seeing some of latest on it, I think its going to be bigger than people realize.  Maybe not as big as GW2 or TOR (at launch), but possibly taking 3rd place.  Er, 4th, if you count WoW.

Tera almost definately behind TSW.  Hard to say where Archeage will fall, since they don't seem to marketting it in this country - do they even have a publisher for the US?  Then there's NCSoft's other MMOs, Wildstar and Blade&Soul - aren't they due in 2012, also?

Filling out the rest of the list, we'll have Aion, AoC, Rift, and even LOTRO.  Maybe some other aging MMOs that are sill hanging on,  that I'm forgetting.  Around the #10 position, but maybe not quite making the list.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• rpgalonrpgalon Member Posts: 430

Originally posted by Vhaln

Funcom's been oddly low key about TSW.  Makes me wonder if they're planning a last minute hype surge, rather than a long dragged out hype campaign like most seem to be doing these days.  After seeing some of latest on it, I think its going to be bigger than people realize.  Maybe not as big as GW2 or TOR (at launch), but possibly taking 3rd place.  Er, 4th, if you count WoW.

Tera almost definately behind TSW.  Hard to say where Archeage will fall, since they don't seem to marketting it in this country - do they even have a publisher for the US?  Then there's NCSoft's other MMOs, Wildstar and Blade&Soul - aren't they due in 2012, also?

my thoughts exactly, looks like they don't want to hype it like AoC...

it is the secret world, it should be secret right?

they were in gamescon and just revealed a little about the warzones PvP and a badass demonstration of the dynamic lighting mechanic in the game.

http://www.dealspwn.com/secret-world-preview-secret-anymore-74519

• cybersrscybersrs Member UncommonPosts: 181

Diablo 3

• TheFirst109TheFirst109 Member UncommonPosts: 182

• TheFirst109TheFirst109 Member UncommonPosts: 182

I'm going to say that I do think guild wars 2 will be in the top 4 by the end of 2012. From what we have seen of it, there's no real indication to think it would be a flop, unlike some other recent titles. Yes pvp is a smaller percentage of the market, but GW2 does look to have a much better pve experience than its predecessor so I do have hope for it yet.

As for FFXIV, I have to say that for how much people say everyone was blind for not seeing that it was going to be a failure, are probably equally blind to see that it could easily come in the top 10 for 2012. There isn't too much competition really at this point, it sold an enormous number of boxes at release, and based on what we can see is coming in the next patch, the game will be ready to take subscriptions soon. It truly grew into the game it should have been at launch, and when it releases for the PS3, it will take in all of those extra sales specifically in Japan where most of the FFXI players there play on console. FFXI was a failure when it released for the first year and a half also, and I would not be surprised in XIV turned around just like it.

• goofy421goofy421 Member Posts: 1

there is no way in hell WoW will ever fall anytime soon its a game you just dont quit you always tend to go back or pay your sub and just log on every now and than.... people just need a break every new expansion there numbers rise back up it always happens. GW2 taking down a the strongest MMO highly doubt it thats Trion thought would happen with rift didnt go to well. But yah blizzard does need to step it up with WoW however they wont they will keep giving hope about change and do something slightly to grab your attention for just a few more months. When they do see a drop of half there subs than they will change the whole game around.