Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DC Universe Online: MegaServers Breathe Life

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

DC Universe Online recently announced 'megaservers' in an effort to bring new life to a game that has been plagued by player defections due to such things at the hacking attacks on Sony servers. According to MMORPG.com Managing Editor Bill Murphy, the megaservers were a mega-inspired idea that has brought new life to DCUO. Read why he thinks that and then let us know your thoughts in the comments.

Mega Server is essentially a fancy name for shifting everyone across the board down into one large cluster of servers. PvE-active players are put in one phase of the world while PvP players are put in another, but by and large everyone is now together in the same “world” for DCUO. The only real segregation remaining is the difference between PS3 players and PC folks. The good news? From what we can tell over the past week or so the Mega Servers have certainly brought life back to the game.

Read more of Bill Murphy's DC Universe Online: MegaServers Breathe Life.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969

yes..your game is failing because of things like Sony being hacked, not because your game is repetitive crap.

• KrellenKrellen Member Posts: 84

Has worked well for the PC version.  The PS3 version has had major bugs since the megaservers were implemented. 

Chat and mail going down.  The mail kept sending duplicate items or cash from old mailings over and over.  To the point that some people were able to use the glich to make millions.  Servers crashing A LOT.  Now you can find people for a raid, but tough to finish with server crashing.  Able to get 8 people into 4 man instances, etc.

But, once all these are cleaned up it will be a better environment overall.  The PS3 really needs test servers or something.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Wait...are you suggesting they did the server merge (AKA Mega servers) "quickly"?

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Hehe positive spin on SOE, the joke made my day at least and yes I bought this game. I left because of the terrible bugs that weren't fixed, the UI and the chat system.  They sold a whole bunch of boxes I'd be surprised if they had 10k subscribers for the pc left.

• negacrowbarnegacrowbar Member Posts: 149

(mod edit)

I must take it that you are only referring to the PC side of this game. If you played the PS3 side, then you would never had been able to complete those raids and PVP slugfests because of crashes and sysytem shutdowns which occur about every other hour. Not to mention the horrible 30 minute que just to get into the game.

I love DC Universe online but the mergerserver disaster forced my hand into not renewing my subscription. I will wait to come back when the game is fixed.

Or should I already throw my game in the trash since I can't even get a buck for it at Gamestop.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

Server merges like this means an MMO is holding on by a  thread.  I know this game is Bill's precious, but trying to put a positive spin on this facepalm worthy.  Of course, if you listen to the "fans" on the official forums they will tell you "thousands" of people are joining every week.  Its games like DCU that will be hit hard when SWTOR and GW2 release.  DCU was DOA from the start.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• fenrisbluefenrisblue Member UncommonPosts: 138

i like how they just changed the word server merge to megaserver

• fenrisbluefenrisblue Member UncommonPosts: 138

oh by the way taht was sarcasm and i am glad too see that the "MEGASERVER" didn't fool anyone

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Why work so hard to avoid calling this what it is, a server merger.  Merging servers was the right thing to do, because there were not enough players left to make a healthy game world on the existing servers.

That being said, I don't think a server merger is breathing life into a game.  A server merger addresses the problem of to many players leaving and consolidating them into a smaller number of servers to create as much player density as possible.   Unless there is a comprehensive solution to resolve the problems that caused players to leave in such numbers that servers mergers became necessary, then the mergers themself are just a temporary solution to the problem. 

The problem was never that the servers were empty so people left.  The were many other problems that caused players to leave and the result of that was the servers became empty. 

Mergers are a positive first step, but done by themselve they are really meaningless.  There needs to be something very significant in addition to it.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by Daffid011

Why work so hard to avoid calling this what it is, a server merger.  Merging servers was the right thing to do, because there were not enough players left to make a healthy game world on the existing servers.

That being said, I don't think a server merger is breathing life into a game.  A server merger addresses the problem of to many players leaving and consolidating them into a smaller number of servers to create as much player density as possible.   Unless there is a comprehensive solution to resolve the problems that caused players to leave in such numbers that servers mergers became necessary, then the mergers themself are just a temporary solution to the problem. 

The problem was never that the servers were empty so people left.  The were many other problems that caused players to leave and the result of that was the servers became empty. 

Mergers are a positive first step, but done by themselve they are really meaningless.  There needs to be something very significant in addition to it.

Maybe the next step will be "mini servers"...they can limit the number of people playing to just like 2-3 at a time, force you to group and it'll have a que to enter so you can 'feel' like it's super busy...and by not playing and just waiting, the content will last longer. No more 1-30 in a weekend! It'll take MONTHS with mini servers!!!

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

Please don't sit in a pile of crap and tell us it smells like roses.

• SintrixSintrix Member UncommonPosts: 52
    OMG megaservers?!?!? Where do I sign up? Oh wait, it just means the game is failing so bad they had to merge all the servers into one..
  • MatriarcheXMatriarcheX Member Posts: 159

3 months too late :(

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

Anyone have any actual news on if these new megaservers have decent population?

The game Was fun, when people were around to kill, but that was a PvP server, now that there is no? pvp server, i wonder if it will be the same?

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

• PaithanPaithan Member Posts: 377

Other then the scale this is no different then when Trion started to offer free transfers to certain servers.

They did the same thing, made it sound so great and positive, but the reality was it was needed due the large decline in their playerbase. It definately wasnt done out of luxery.

It really is a a shame the game has to resort to this but hey atleast they are still trying. They are still trying to keep the players they have, the still being developed content suports that.

But Im guessing people are just looking for a bandwagon to ride.

• grafhgrafh Member UncommonPosts: 320

Originally posted by zanfire

yes..your game is failing because of things like Sony being hacked, not because your game is repetitive crap.

qft. this game failing had nothing to due with servers being hacked. it was just way way way to repatitive. i did everything there was to do in the game in 2 weeks.. other than farming points to get your iconic armor and such. beat all dungeons and raid encounters... so yea.. repatitive ftl!!

Originally posted by grafh

qft. this game failing had nothing to due with servers being hacked. it was just way way way to repatitive. i did everything there was to do in the game in 2 weeks.. other than farming points to get your iconic armor and such. beat all dungeons and raid encounters... so yea.. repatitive ftl!!

The hack definately was one of many reasons.

But the rest you stated.. there being nothing to do other then grinding the same instances over and over for points, pretty much describes every mmo out there, like WoW and Rift to name a few.

• grafhgrafh Member UncommonPosts: 320

Originally posted by Paithan

But the rest you stated.. there being nothing to do other then grinding the same instances over and over for points, pretty much describes every mmo out there, like WoW and Rift to name a few.

the game population was going down way before that hack on soe servers. the hack probably just pushed it over the edge.

as far as it being the same as every other mmo out there, its close, but falls far short in comparison. wow, and rift take time to lvl, has multiple raid dungeons, and has other stuff to do like battlegrounds. this is where DCU failed

2 raids, like 10 daileys, really unbalanced legends pvp. has there been more raids or dungeons or more to do in general, im sure it would be popular.

ALSO! the content in the game DID NOT WARRANT A MONTHLY FEE! the game didnt make it past its first month free trial for me. The game would have been much better going FTP with a COSTUME cash shop or something along those lines.. other mmo's i have felt the need for a monthly fee, but this game gave no such feeling.

• TirinasTirinas Member Posts: 117

I find this somewhat hard to believe as i logged in a day ago and all i saw was one villain on the eu pve server in the main base, am i missing something or are the american servers the place to be ?

Originally posted by Paithan

the game population was going down way before that hack on soe servers. the hack probably just pushed it over the edge.

as far as it being the same as every other mmo out there, its close, but falls far short in comparison. wow, and rift take time to lvl, has multiple raid dungeons, and has other stuff to do like battlegrounds. this is where DCU failed

2 raids, like 10 daileys, really unbalanced legends pvp. has there been more raids or dungeons or more to do in general, im sure it would be popular.

ALSO! the content in the game DID NOT WARRANT A MONTHLY FEE! the game didnt make it past its first month free trial for me. The game would have been much better going FTP with a COSTUME cash shop or something along those lines.. other mmo's i have felt the need for a monthly fee, but this game gave no such feeling.

We can debate the amounth of content and I do agree it needs more. Rift now has a few raid zones, before Hk, the raid content was roughly 3-4hours worth of content on a 1 week lock out. Trion drasticly reduced the token awared because people where completely decked out on T2 in 1-2 days without breaking a sweat. Gear gear takes longer due the 1 week lock out. The pvp in Rift was a very very unballanced scene of repedative Bg grinding.

WoW has more raid content though the dungeon grind for tokens isnt that much different as it is for DCUO, as for bg's, especially during a BG weekend getting the full honor set is just a matter of hours. As for arena's .. there is a reason why.. certain classes are so highly represented while others hardly present at all. So again Dcuo isnt that much different at all.

You didnt like the game, we get that. And you didnt think it was worth a monthly fee, which is fine.  But what is there to really go so worked up for?  Atleast for the money spent you gotten a couple of weeks of entertainment, which is more then most single games can say, look at Crysis 2, good game, costs the same and was barely 2days of game play.

So you come to the forums when a company is still trying to keep their tittle alife and get angry at it. I find that highly amusing.

But dont get me wrong, I dont care about SOE or any company for that matter. I have my own disapointments from DCuo and various SOE games, just as I have them from every mmo I ever played , heck even the ones I still DO play.

But Im sorry to say to me you look like just another bandwagoneer bashing for the sake of bashing.

• SoludeSolude Member UncommonPosts: 691

Two things going on here... yes server pops plummetted like ALL SOE games post hack.  Logged into EQ2 recently?

But Mega Server is accurate since there isn't 1 of each zone.  Its more a change to be like AoC or GW.

And for the foo who said free transfers for Rift were from pop drop... crazy.  Rift cleared 1 mill boxes sold a while back and 1 mill active subs a few weeks back.  That's pop increase, not drop.  You thinking of WoW maybe :P

• MykellMykell Member UncommonPosts: 780

If they had put more effort into open world events/pvp instead of instances this game would be win. Sitting around the Hall of Justice/Doom waiting for instances to pop ain't my idea of fun i'm afraid.

Originally posted by Solude

Two things going on here... yes server pops plummetted like ALL SOE games post hack.  Logged into EQ2 recently?

But Mega Server is accurate since there isn't 1 of each zone.  Its more a change to be like AoC or GW.

And for the foo who said free transfers for Rift were from pop drop... crazy.  Rift cleared 1 mill boxes sold a while back and 1 mill active subs a few weeks back.  That's pop increase, not drop.  You thinking of WoW maybe :P

They are talking boxes sold, that alone should tell you something.

Feel free to check the rift forums prior to the date the free server transferes where made availeble.

You'll notice people asking. crying yelling and demanding for server merges. Most of the non-destination servers are scary low pop now. The destination servers are very healthy now.

There is no question about the fact Rift opened these transfers BECAUSE of the declining playerbase and it worked. The transfers brought more life to servers and kept players from.. low pop servers from leaving.

Just picked the 1st link from the top of the list server.

http://forums.riftgame.com/shard-forums/na-shards/pve/aedraxis/220579-when-did-aedraxis-turn-into-low-population-trial-server.html

How about this one, post 3 is pretty clear about it in the 1st line.

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-general-discussions/off-topic/228005-four-months-post-launch.html

How about.. this one?

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-general-discussions/general-discussion/224624-unpopulated-servers.html

No?

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-general-discussions/general-discussion/222587-games-population-just-way-too-low.html

Granted this is just 1 post but

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-general-discussions/general-discussion/213927-merging-servers.html

Another??

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-general-discussions/general-discussion/189022-trion-please-merge-low-pop-servers.html

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-general-discussions/general-discussion/189217-server-merger.html

ANd this is just what I ran into without really looking for it.

These transfers did work well for rift though.

Edit: adding this one because a Rift forum rep redirecting towards a discussion acknowlaging the populations issue.

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-general-discussions/general-discussion/189703-server-populations.html

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

DCUO was a failure since 1 second after midnight when the game launched.  It's still horrible, SOE takes way to long to fix things, they always have, always will.  Luckily I didn't waste my money on this game (I learned my lesson the first 4 times SOE did a moneygrab, aka released a game I would like to play).  SOE is in it for the money, they sold many boxes, retained some subs.  They don't care as long as they make money.  Other than PS3 I own nothing of SOE.  And I won't buy anything with SOE on it, even for PS3, just stick to CoD and MoH and zombie killing and GT5.  Any SOE game is horrible.

I've played on a friends character for maybe 20-30 hours since launch and this last time I got sick.  I'm not sure if it was the nachos from taco bell or DCUO, but I was out for like a week lol.

• Blaze007Blaze007 Member Posts: 188

too little;

too late;

too greedy.