Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Gamescom Interview with Colin Johanson

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

During last week's Gamescom in Germany, MMORPG.com's John Milburn had the opportunity to sit down and chat with Arena.Net's Colin Johanson about all things Guild Wars 2. It's an entertaining and enlightening interview that is not to be missed. Keep reading for our exclusive Gamescom Interview with Colin Johanson.

How about mobile applications?

We have a team focused on things outside the game and so far we have an app where you can see on your phone or your iPad where your friends are currently in the game. You can watch them running around the map and see where they are going. You can also chat with them live, while they're in the game. For example while you're in the bus or a train, on your way home from work. This makes it easy to coordinate things and planning to meet up in the game etc.

Read more of John Milburn's Guild Wars 2: Gamescom Interview with Colin Johanson.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Master_M2KMaster_M2K Member Posts: 244

Some interesting tidbits but nothing all that new, for anyone who's been following the game.

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

Well, we now know GW2 won't be out this year for sure. I'm a little concerned that it's looking like this will launch about the same time as TSW...April 2012. I am looking forward to both and don't want them competing with each other, even if they are very different MMOs.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

I wish I will be choosed for closed beta.

@MMORPG.com why didn't you ask how will they choose closed beta participants?

• Master_M2KMaster_M2K Member Posts: 244

Originally posted by thedarkess

I wish I will be choosed for closed beta.

@MMORPG.com why didn't you ask how will they choose closed beta participants?

Because the chances are they won't be handing out closed beta applications at all. They'd be doing it old school, before closed beta became nothing more than a free trial.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

All this and no subscription fee, arena net are awesome!

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

This is an great summary of por's for GW2..and i even learned..didnt know that combo thing with attacks + areaspells of other classes yet :P

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • SBE1SBE1 Member UncommonPosts: 340

If they plan closed beta before year-end, then I anticipate this game releasing May 2012.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Only problem with this game is that they are taking to damn long.

Over 6 years now. And from what everyone said (on gamescom) the game allready looks more polished than most games in their post release stage.

I have feeling the game will not be out before spring 2012 , and maybe even later.

But most people are so pumped about the game, for over 2 years now.

Its starts to turn into annoyance.

I seriously dont know what are they waiting for...

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615

Originally posted by Lobotomist

Over 6 years now. And from what everyone said (on gamescom) the game allready looks more polished than most games in their post release stage.

I have feeling the game will not be out before spring 2012 , and maybe even later.

.....when it's ready.

But it does look polished. I agree on that part.

I hope they do not rush it out. I'd rather play a more polished game than one with more bugs. :)

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• Size-TwelveSize-Twelve Member UncommonPosts: 478

Originally posted by windsoul44

.....when it's ready.

But it does look polished. I agree on that part.

I hope they do not rush it out. I'd rather play a more polished game than one with more bugs. :)

$this.

Don't whine about the length of time.

You only get one shot at a launch. The same "loyal" fans who want the game to launch soonest, are the ones who cry loudest when it's not perfect.

This could be a very good game. Maybe one of the best in the last decade. Give them time to finish it, even if it means 2013. I've seen plenty of games launch early to spectacular failure, but only a few took too long. (Duke Nukem Forever)

• ClobClob Member Posts: 130

While it may feel like over 6 years, you are exaggerating a bit there.  GW2 was announced late March of 2007, at which time development really began (along side EotN for GW).  So it's really (only) been about 4 1/2 years.

The demo parts of the game probably are polished, but from what we hear in interviews and dev forum comments they do have areas of the game they're still working on.  ANet isn't the type of company to just throw their product out with different areas of the game in varied levels of completion. 

However, I think everybody that's been following it's development since announcement can see that it's getting close(r) to completion.

• phantiasmicphantiasmic Member Posts: 38

Also keep in mind since they do not charge a monthly fee, they HAVE to get it right at launch. I do agree it gets frustrating I am dying to play GW2 so bad but ... if it comes out perfect because of the time invested it will be well worth it.

Someone else had a good point also about TSW releasing in April '12, I plan on playing both though 1 has subscription and GW2 does not so it wont bother me either way.

- I have played Everquest, DAOC, Shadowbane, WoW, Aion, Rift, SW Galaxies, Planetside and Guild Wars (all expacs)

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

GW2 is going to be a fantasy role playing blast, even the WoW-tards may like it. Expecting avery polished product, though I am thinking 2012 release for this one.

• LeononaLeonona Member UncommonPosts: 225

Originally posted by phantiasmic

Someone else had a good point also about TSW releasing in April '12, I plan on playing both though 1 has subscription and GW2 does not so it wont bother me either way.

Perhaps you can spend the first 3-4 months playing GW2 and then go on to TSW. If Funcom follow tradition the game won't be finished by launch, and players will be paying beta testers. They have set a release date so far in advance. Likely some executive have done that and then the devs have to release whether it's ready or not.

• tshack88tshack88 Member Posts: 48

"This leads to a boss fight against a character you remember from Guild Wars 1."

BY BALTHAZAR'S BEARD, RIN BURNS!  Please let it be Rurik.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

^I actually hope it will be Alesia, the monk that aggroes everything that will kill you.

• chbautistchbautist Member Posts: 50

Originally posted by Illyssia

GW2 is going to be a fantasy role playing blast, even the WoW-tards may like it. Expecting avery polished product, though I am thinking 2012 release for this one.

No chance in hell that WoW-tards will like it... Graphics will be too good, they'll miss their ugly cartoons and warrior cows running arround bluish trees and orange roads.

Also, 48h after release they'll complain the end-game has no content and that PvP is broken (mostly because they got beaten)

If a game wants WoWtards and their target audience, offer "competitive cross-grade" which would be a WoW clone where you get to import your WoW Character and Gear and go straight to End-Game content (actual game content could be nothing more than grinding for all they care) Wait a minute, that would sound like a WoW SEQUEL!! You could even have HiDef textures for orange roads and bluish trees... And Cows in armor. 10 year olds would love that.

Of course, you would have to raise the level Cap to... at least 178 and deal damage in the 7 digits. (which means nothing if you have 8 digits of hit-points... just bigger menaingless numbers)

The only thing I'm worried about GW2 is that they will actualy have a "shard" server system, which in my opinion is what "not having it" in GW1 made it so much fun, you could always have your favorite character join up anywhere with friends. With shards, well if your friends play on server B and your favorite ALT is on server A then you'll have to make a choice.

At least there doesn't look like there will be a "faction" issue where half your friends want to play "destruction" and the other half like "Empire" better. Stupid shard/faction combination! GW1 had PVP centered on guilds and factions but in PVE anyone would be your companion no matter your affiliation. Something WoW, WAR and other don't have.

Originally posted by chbautist

The only thing I'm worried about GW2 is that they will actualy have a "shard" server system, which in my opinion is what "not having it" in GW1 made it so much fun, you could always have your favorite character join up anywhere with friends. With shards, well if your friends play on server B and your favorite ALT is on server A then you'll have to make a choice.

ArenaNet developers did say they have plans for easy server transfers similar to GW1. So I don't think it will that much of a problem.

• chbautistchbautist Member Posts: 50

Originally posted by Alot

ArenaNet developers did say they have plans for easy server transfers similar to GW1. So I don't think it will that much of a problem.

yeah except they also want to create a "server" feeling of belonging where you fight for bragging rights against other servers with W vs W vs W PvP... sounds futile to combine that with "easy" server transfer, sounds like "winning" servers would be in high demand if its the case.

yeah except they also want to create a "server" feeling of belonging where you fight for bragging rights against other servers with W vs W vs W PvP... sounds futile to combine that with "easy" server transfer, sounds like "winning" servers would be in high demand if its the case.

Restrictions will be applied to your character once you switch servers, so I magine you would not able to desert and join the other side in WvWvW-PvP. Besides, would people really switch servers all the time? Wouldn't the overall level of skill on a server go down by the people who join a server just because it tends to win? Wouldn't the people on that server choose to join a server that's less crowded?

• An4thorAn4thor Member Posts: 524

While you are right about the feeling of belonging the second part of your post is easily solved with controlled character migration (like wow) you can transfer from A server (most populated)  to B-C-D server (all less populated). Its obviuous that they won't allow you to change your server with whichever you want.

• saluksaluk Member Posts: 325

Shards are the easiest/best way to handle large player base in a fantasy mmo. It's OK in games with low pops, or in space games, because it doesn't take effort to distribute the population, but in a hand crafted fantasy environment it takes too much time to spread people out enough for it to work - and for some game related reasons it can be more fun to play with 5,000 other people in the same game than 100,000. GW1 got away with it because of the heavy instancing.

Still, I agree, I don't care for sharding too much. I've often had to choose between playing on a server with one group of friends or playing on another server with a different group. No amount of server switching can fix that.

About the time the game is taking - if more mmo devs took this kind of time and care, there would be fewer launch disasters, and probably more successful games still running. MMO's are big games, they should take much longer than other games to develop. Duke Nukem didn't have much of an excuse, but this does. WoW took 4 years as well, and look what happened. With their unique pay model I don't think they will have too much trouble competing with other cash shop funded or pay to play games. I know if TSW is good I can easily afford both. Even if I don't play GW2 right away, I dont have to worry about upkeep, and can play it when I feel like it without feeling forced.

• AlanthusAlanthus Member Posts: 119

Restrictions will be applied to your character once you switch servers, so I magine you would not able to desert and join the other side in WvWvW-PvP. Besides, would people really switch servers all the time? Wouldn't the overall level of skill on a server go down by the people who join a server just because it tends to win? Wouldn't the people on that server choose to join a server that's less crowded?

Will be interesting to see how they balalnce this, you'll definately see people joining "winning" servers and then jump to the next one once there are too many fotm no-clue gimme-a-win-without-participating players on the server for it to stand a chance against a server where people work together. I can see a player jumping servers a lot having little or no bonus from winning for a long time as one way to balance it... Anything that allows people to easily play with new and old friends and reduces/removes rewards for fotm (...or sotm I guess) players.

• Originally posted by tshack88

"This leads to a boss fight against a character you remember from Guild Wars 1."

BY BALTHAZAR'S BEARD, RIN BURNS!  Please let it be Rurik.

Lol, I was hoping for King Adelbern, but wouldn't mind smacking Rurik around, either.

• Originally posted by Alot

^I actually hope it will be Alesia, the monk that aggroes everything that will kill you.

Ain't THAT the truth!