Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Bioware Reveals PAX Plans

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Bioware team has revealed its plans for PAX set for later this week. During PAX, fans can check out a SWTOR panel that will include a developer Q&A and a new live demo. Devs have also promised that attendees will have the opportunity to hear "new reveals". In addition, the team will host a meet & greet with fans and will be able to try the game out at the SWTOR booth.

Starting at 2PM on Sunday, August 28th, BioWare and LucasArts will be holding a Star Wars: The Old Republic panel at the Paramount Theatre, where fans will have the opportunity to be among the first to hear new reveals, take part in a Q&A session with developers and see a live demonstration of the opening minutes of the Eternity Vault, a high-level Operation taking place on the planet of Belsavis.

Read more on the Star Wars: The Old Republic site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• lars1134lars1134 Member Posts: 106

Everybody is expecting a release date from Bioware, let's hope they are giving one.

• Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

It will be done when its done, they can tell me the release date 6 months prior, or 6 days, it makes no matter to me...

I'm more interested in what they have in mind for a sub fee.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

It really worries and bothers me that they keep pushing these raid demos.  Is this another Blizzard in the making?

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Originally posted by Vorthanion

It really worries and bothers me that they keep pushing these raid demos.  Is this another Blizzard in the making?

The last one they showed was a PvP demo... although I admit I am disappointed there has been no hint of anything to do with open world PvP other than it will be there. I hope it's not just PvP enabled with no objectives.

• Originally posted by Kabaal

The last one they showed was a PvP demo... although I admit I am disappointed there has been no hint of anything to do with open world PvP other than it will be there. I hope it's not just PvP enabled with no objectives.

according to gabe amatangelo in this interview from gameescom there will be open world areas with objectives

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viRTCT365Ro&feature=player_detailpage#t=264s

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Originally posted by gaou

Originally posted by Kabaal

according to gabe amatangelo in this interview from gameescom there will be open world areas with objectives

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viRTCT365Ro&feature=player_detailpage#t=264s

I hadn't watched that video, thanks. He was a bit vague apart from the world bosses which i don't have much interest in but it's good to hear that there is something in the works.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868

Originally posted by lars1134

Everybody is expecting a release date from Bioware, let's hope they are giving one.

They won't. EA has already announced that they will have a "hard ship date" in September. I mean, it is pretty close so I guess it is still possible, but the focus of the announcement will be based on open-world pvp.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by Celcius

Originally posted by lars1134

They won't. EA has already announced that they will have a "hard ship date" in September. I mean, it is pretty close so I guess it is still possible, but the focus of the announcement will be based on open-world pvp.

in a way.. i think the lack of release date is probably a good thing.. Bioware are undoubtedly making sure its 100 percent before they push it out the door, and arent letting EA bully them into doing otherwise.. so like the game or not  (its not for me image) .. i would expect the game at least to be solid on release...   players arent as forgiving for bad launches so.. good tactic imo.. image

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Well, people had been asking for well over a year for them.  So isn't it hypocritical to complain about them giving the people the demo?

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• aiskerriganaiskerrigan Member Posts: 17

Don't expect a release date until after the beta weekend/stress tests in September. It'll be a while......

• RomseRomse Member Posts: 198

If you look at the forums... you can feel 4 distinct big crowds

-The WoW+Rift crowd looking for the next triple-A to offer challenging PvE endgame

-The SWG leftovers who keep demanding for the most "Themepark" MMO ever to implement "Sandbox" features

-The WAR+DaoC crowd drawn in by Mythic instanced PvP and PvP progression (and hoping for some RvR)

-And then the KOTOR people that keep demanding solo player features, minigames and companion romances

And SWTOR is trying to keep all of em interested, so far succesfully.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

Aug 28? Thats's real close to September and the final stretch through Q4 2011. I would hope that they announce the release date this close to launch.

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

Originally posted by aiskerrigan

Don't expect a release date until after the beta weekend/stress tests in September. It'll be a while......

This!  Adding in the comments from SR and others that 'beta weekends' will be a 'couple of months'.  Not expecting a release date until at least late September.

As for PAX, it'll all be PVP, guild and Legacy related stuff.

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622
    It's amazing we don't have a release date. Supposedly so close to release and nothing? Just dam peculiar.

• Originally posted by monarc333

It's amazing we don't have a release date. Supposedly so close to release and nothing? Just dam peculiar.

well they feel they only need to announce the date 4-8 weeks before launch.  so if the game were to come out in november, then it would be possible that the date wouldn't come for a bit still.

from their last earnings call:

Most MMOs have been announced, in term of ship date, 4-8 weeks prior to introduction. That's fairly standard. "People have target quarters, but whether it's World of Warcraft, it was our last launch or Sony's last launch, 4-6 weeks is relatively typical. You usually want to have high-scale testing completed and under your belt before you open it up to the paying consumer because the paying consumer can be very harsh. They have high expectations: perfect performance. That's what we intend to provide at launch."

As we get into the bulk of the summer we're going to be ramping up our beta campaign and by the time we get to around September we'll be in a position to really call the ball give the hard ship date."

http://darthhater.com/2011/07/26/electronic-arts-q1-2012-earnings-conference-call/

• owmartowmart Member Posts: 6

Based upon this information I would expect a release date reveal around mid-november. The release date will probably be around late december given there track record. They would want to milk the heck out of this "Holiday 2011" release window.

• hayes303hayes303 Member UncommonPosts: 430

My biggest concern is that there has been a lot of raiding and pvp talk, but very little about crafting.

• HurricanePipHurricanePip Member Posts: 167

Originally posted by waynejr2

Well, people had been asking for well over a year for them.  So isn't it hypocritical to complain about them giving the people the demo?

I don't think that was phrased correctly, but yeah some people have been asking for the demos.  It's one of the things that I really wanted to see ... and wasn't very impressed.  It basically looked like a TBC or Rift style raid, so I hope TOR has something else in store too.

I'm just saying, waves of mobs plus turrents with no aggro table ... and a boss whose trick is an emote + LOS mechanic isn't very interesting after playing through Rift earlier this year or TBC in '06.

If you don't worry about it, it's not a problem.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Excuse me?  How does that make me hypocritical?  I didn't ask for raiding as I despise it.  It irritates me that a game that is suppose to focus on casuals seems to put an awful lot of focus on content that casuals don't like in the form of raiding.  Are you trolling or just mistaking me for someone who gives a damn about raiding?

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Originally posted by Romse

If you look at the forums... you can feel 4 distinct big crowds

-The WoW+Rift crowd looking for the next triple-A to offer challenging PvE endgame

-The SWG leftovers who keep demanding for the most "Themepark" MMO ever to implement "Sandbox" features

-The WAR+DaoC crowd drawn in by Mythic instanced PvP and PvP progression (and hoping for some RvR)

-And then the KOTOR people that keep demanding solo player features, minigames and companion romances

And SWTOR is trying to keep all of em interested, so far succesfully.

I 100% agree with this.  I loved WAR i loved KOTOR and i used to be a big time WoW Player.  SWTOR has everything you can possibly want from an MMO in it, and more.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

Originally posted by Marcus-

It will be done when its done, they can tell me the release date 6 months prior, or 6 days, it makes no matter to me...

It does make a difference to those of us who have to schedule their playing time...I am expecting a release date to be named. Makes sense for Bioware as it maximizes pre-release sales and impact in the gaming press prior to launch. 

• jerlot65jerlot65 Member UncommonPosts: 788

Originally posted by HurricanePip

I don't think that was phrased correctly, but yeah some people have been asking for the demos.  It's one of the things that I really wanted to see ... and wasn't very impressed.  It basically looked like a TBC or Rift style raid, so I hope TOR has something else in store too.

I'm just saying, waves of mobs plus turrents with no aggro table ... and a boss whose trick is an emote + LOS mechanic isn't very interesting after playing through Rift earlier this year or TBC in '06.

I agree Biwoare should have had a better demo.  Butall this ripping on the first Raid demo is silly.  They only showed the first couple minutes of the raid.  They didn;t even make it inside the vault yet and people are demanding to see a raid boss encounter or something.  Its funny, people are trying to compare the first fight stepping into a raid in SWTOR to end bosses and world bosses in other games.

• if this is fansite is to be believed, then open world pvp is one of the things it looks like they will be covering at pax

from a Q&A at gamescom:

One person asked if there was going to be Open World PvP. The answer again was “Yes,” but he added that next week (guessing PAX) there will be a big announcement about Open World PvP.

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Originally posted by gaou

if this is fansite is to be believed, then open world pvp is one of the things it looks like they will be covering at pax

from a Q&A at gamescom:

One person asked if there was going to be Open World PvP. The answer again was “Yes,” but he added that next week (guessing PAX) there will be a big announcement about Open World PvP.

That would fit in with the focusing on PvP in august bit they mentioned a while ago. Not that i'm that big of a PvP fan but that was more of becuase i got insta squished by other players whenever i tried to do anything. Good natural deterant from trying to get good at it if you just die over and over again from roaming crowds of people.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• AbdarAbdar Member UncommonPosts: 400

Originally posted by Kabaal

Star Wars without open world pvp (pvp server option) would  immediately define which side of the fence I'm on with this game. I really hope they have something to it here.. and maybe something a little different as well.